As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dropmix!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
Hey everyone! Harmonix has a new...card/app game out, and it's called:
rpqojoxwxt5k.jpg

Anyways, the basic idea is you have a bunch of cards (15 to 30 card decks, depending on how many people are playing), each representing a different part of a song. Could be the drums from All About That Bass, or the guitar riff from Tricky, or the strings from Call Me Maybe, or the vocals from Push It...any number of things! And each card can be played in one of five slots on a board. And when you connect that board to the Dropmix app on your phone or tablet, shit like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXR0zkChdyM

It mixes everything on the fly, no matter which mode you're in. And speaking of modes, here are the three modes:

CLASH

Two players go head to head (or two teams of two go head to head) to fight for control of the board by playing cards into the mix, including wild cards and cards with unique special effects, and hitting the dropmix button on the board in hopes of removing your opponent's cards so you can sneak in for the victory. First to 21 points wins

PARTY

A co-op mode where 1-4 players hop in with a deck and meet requests by playing cards into the mix. The faster you play the correct cards, the more points you get. But if you play the wrong card, or you play the card where you can't? That's a party foul, and you lose points. The game keeps track of a local high score, so...really you can cheat if you want, nobody's gonna care. Except me. I'll know, and I'll be very disappointed in you.

FREESTYLE

Freestyle is a mode where you can just...play whatever cards you want, and fuck with tempo and key and create whatever monstrosities you want. You can even save a mix at any time (and you can do this in any mode, if you find a mix that is rad and you want to revisit it later). No scores, nothing, just fuckin' around with music.

Here's a video where Harmonix shows off how to play Clash mode, gives an idea on how the game plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7yDFX_GCKo

BUY IT IF YOU WANT

It's on sale at...I've only found it locally at Toys R Us and Best Buy, but stores like Target and Wal Mart should have it in stock at some point. The regular price for the base game is $99, but Amazon had a sale where you could get it for around $60? I don't know if it's still active. The base set comes with a board, and sixty cards, divided into four sets of 15 preconstructed decks.

You can expand your collection of cards two ways: Playlist packs are packs of 16 cards, that contain one 15 card deck, and one mystery "baffler" card, which could be anything from Beethoven to just some dude beatboxing. There are currently four playlist packs available at the moment, and none of them are random. They're $15. They also have Discovery packs, which have five cards each, for $5. They're divided into seasons, and each of the two released seasons so far have 30 cards, or six packs. These packs are also not random, but the only way to tell them apart is from the card art displayed on the front.

Anyways, it's really fun! I figured I'd make its own thread here so I don't clog up other threads. So you can...post your own playlists and such, it's really fucking cool

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I have currently spent 130 dollars on DropMix stuff without actually turning on the board and I think i’m going to get the Pop expansion on the way home

I want to be the best Girl Talk I can be

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Dropmix seems like something I'd be way into if it was a $5 phone app or $15 download on consoles and the card packs were $1-2 dlcs

But as-is, I think the cost of entry is way too high, and the physical hardware/cards seem like a huge hassle

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Im very interested in this game. Now i must resist the urge to watch videos and need the game.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think I would suck at this thing but it looks super rad.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    So, one thing I’m having a hard time figuring out on my own - are the Discovery packs different cards from the Playlist packs?

I hope so, but I can’t seem to find a solid answer.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    So, one thing I’m having a hard time figuring out on my own - are the Discovery packs different cards from the Playlist packs?

It looks like they are

There's a different set of cards that you only get from the packs

6F32U1X.png
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »

It looks like they are

There's a different set of cards that you only get from the packs

Cool! Thanks!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They're absolutely different, yeah. The official site has what's in the playlist packs listed under each one, and they also have a list of what's in each...season, I guess of the discovery packs. It definitely could be clearer, especially since if you order a playlist pack or a discovery pack online from like, gamestop, they just send you a random one?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am kind of hoping that future Discovery packs have better packaging that will make it easier to determine what's in them. Like "Wave 3, Pack 1" or something.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I am super into Dropmix and can't wait for the Blue Monday card to come out!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think you can also just buy complete Discovery sets on Amazon for like 25 bucks

6F32U1X.png
    There's a Google spreadsheet of all the contents of the playlist and discovery pack contents linked on the Dropmix subreddit that has a tab that tells you which cards come in which discovery pack, and what the artwork displayed for each is.

It's useful if you're out picking up some packs at the store and want to track what you have at home.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    this looked really cool and then I realized it was a physical one hundred god damned dollars card game and instantly noped out

honestly I only pulled the trigger because it was on sale for like 30 bucks off

anyways here's another mix that I liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl6rYE_SoCU

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

Do you have to make mixes with all 5 parts or can you do less?

This one was really sweet btw!

Roz on
    Roz wrote: »

Do you have to make mixes with all 5 parts or can you do less?

This one was really sweet btw!

You can do less, for sure. I haven't tried to save one with less than five, but I'm sure you could

You need to have at least three cards down in order to save a mix.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    When you save them like that - are they just 1 minute clips or can you hear the full mix all the way through the end of the vocals?

when you save the mix in the app, it loops. you can also export them to a video which you can then upload elsewhere, which is what I did with the mixes I uploaded to youtube

edited November 2017
    Roz wrote: »
    When you save them like that - are they just 1 minute clips or can you hear the full mix all the way through the end of the vocals?

Saving the youtube clips only exports about a minute (the length can vary based on BPM), but you can also generate links that people can open in Dropmix and download the full saved mix so they can listen to the entirety of the in-game samples.

The game doesn't have the entirety of any songs, but it's definitely got a few minutes of song on there. Only a portion ends up in the Youtube clips.

People who have iOS devices can download screen capture stuff that lets them save full mixes to upload. I am using an Android tablet and would like to find a similar solution.

There's at least one dude who is doing lengthy mixes with Dropmix that are pretty crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4uIvYBLCc

DarkPrimus on
    I need to play around more with putting cards in different spots and if that affects them at all. I know putting a yellow card in another place changes it somehow, but I'm not really sure what causes it? It's way deeper than I would have expected, honestly

I need to play around more with putting cards in different spots and if that affects them at all. I know putting a yellow card in another place changes it somehow, but I'm not really sure what causes it? It's way deeper than I would have expected, honestly

I remember seeing some interview with some of the Harmonix people who explained that in Freestyle mode, while you can put any card in any slot, the vocal cards only get certain effects applied to them in the yellow slot that make them sound smoother during gameplay, so if you are adjusting the BPM a lot on them they will end up sounding noticeably different if they aren't in that slot.

• denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’m super interested in this game. I’m trying to get my wife hyped about it but the video I grabbed to show her had evanescence and Carly Rae Jepson featured so I might have soured her on the whole thing.

I just did an hour long freestyle, headphones on, drawing almost at random

this thing is fucking INSANE

denihilist wrote: »
    I’m super interested in this game. I’m trying to get my wife hyped about it but the video I grabbed to show her had evanescence and Carly Rae Jepson featured so I might have soured her on the whole thing.

So what you're asking is for us to put together some mixes with music that might be more her style, right?

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    this is perfect holiday gift list material -- something i'm unlikely to buy for myself, but hoo boy is it up my alley. if it shows up in my gifts, i anticipate some fun with the nieces and nephews...

lfchwLd.jpg
    BTW, here's a list of all songs currently available in Dropmix, with a chart showing which expansions each part of the song comes in!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    This looks fantastic but the base game is 120 Canadabux and I just do not have that to drop on it plus a card pack or two right now, especially since I only think one or two of my friends here might be down to play it

Maybe sometime next year when the price drops a bit, it seems neat

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I think the cheapest I've seen the core set is $69 from Walmart.com.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I think the cheapest I've seen the core set is $69 from Walmart.com.

.......nice

the main hurdle I’m running into in my freestyles is that the DropMix button/wild cards feel a little too abrupt for my tastes, but I can’t find a smoother method of changing the BPM throughout a longer mix

I guess I could just do it by hand

also juggling drums is hard, dropping the beat is just agony to me but i find having multiple drum tracks going at once is a little overwhelming

also also I feel like I should set the Call Me Maybe strings to the side because I want to always use them all the time

also also also where the FUCK is my Run Away With Me sax line, Harmonix

If you have the BPM/key adjuster up while playing cards in freestyle mode, the wild cards won't modify the mix when you play them.

edited November 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If you have the BPM/key adjuster up while playing cards in freestyle mode, the wild cards won't modify the mix when you play them.

oooooooooooo

YaYa on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love this game. I've been heavily promoting it amongst my friends, family, and at the local game store.

Some quick info that will help:

1) The songs available are divided up into "playlists." Each playlist contains 15 cards, which together make a balanced Dropmix deck for Clash/party. Each deck has a theme and a genre that it more or less falls into, 1 Wild that fits any color, and 2 FX cards that are your specials for the clash mode.

2) The base game comes with 4 playlists - Sweets (Pop), Highness (Hip-hop), The Blade (Rock), and Controller (Electronic).

3) There are 4 playlists packs out. These contain a full playlist + 1 "hidden" card. You can see all the cards in the playlist in the packaging except the hidden card. These are Derby (Pop), Mirrors (Hip-hop), Ouroboros (Rock), and Astro (Electronic). Astro is the hardest to get ahold of because a shipping package of 8 has 3 Derbys and 1 Astro for some reason.. and Astro's bonus card is the Dr. Who theme.

4) There are currently 2 series of Discover packs out. THESE ARE NOT RANDOM. Each has 5 cards in them, so combined you get 30 cards in series 1 and 30 cards in series 2. This adds up to... 60 cards, or four playlists (seeing a trend yet?). Ordering online is difficult because the bigger retailers won't show you which item you are getting - the packaging is identical, but you can see the discovery pack's contents based on its first card. The four playlists are Dapper (Pop), Seer (Hip-Hop), Hightower (Rock), and Puff (Electronic).

5) Strong indication is that the last release of the year is going to be made up of 2 playlist packs: Flawless (Pop) and Bomb (Hip-Hop). To make these more fun, Flawless is apparently a Target exclusive, and Bomb is a Toys R Us exclusive.

6)This leaves 2 more playlists for this first set in 2018: Lucky (Country) and Chiller (Electronic).

7) There will also be a Series 3 and Series 4 Discovery packs in 2018. These will give us: Fever (Pop), Breaker (Hip-Hop), Socket (Rock), and Moonlight (Country).

8) On average, the game costs $1 a card at full price. The playlist packs throw in a freebie, and that equates the board to $40. Wholesale is much cheaper, of course, so sales will be plentiful. This is Hasbro we are talking about.

9) Supposedly Harmonix has some cool ideas for the second lineup. Personally, I'd love to get some themes and soundtracks going. Video game music would rock too.

10) Your best friend right now is the Dropmix Card Checklist. This sucker lists every card, genre, beat and key (all taken from the app) as well as what collection it appears in. The most helpful thing, though, is the second tab showing the discovery packs content. It has a very large image of the top card's artwork, so you can see if you are getting a set you don't already have.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    When it comes to saving and playing back your mixes, you can do it at ANY time in the app. There's been times when I've been in the middle of a clash and been like.. shit, this is awesome! Save it before it gets ruined.

The playback of a mix will build using the last part of the loop. The BPM and key will be set (either through the first card played, a wild being played, the dropmix button, or manually editing in freestyle), and then the mix will build in the order that cards were played.

So you can get some really cool shit going. Here's the first one I've really been proud of.

https://youtu.be/G4NxB04vrOw

https://share.dropmix.com/s2J_VOtvSyh0AwZsKj8NyTzgaq4CIvpWLxQrBTgThS0

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I picked this up today, and can confirm that it is rad. Now I just need actual people to play it with. Please, enjoy these dope beats:

https://youtu.be/DSbUPQzfXuw

https://youtu.be/B5H9TQu3GAI

well, I've...ordered the cards I didn't already have

well, I've...ordered the cards I didn't already have

Does that include the Transformers card? I... I am not sure how much I'd pay for that. :(