As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Wow, Carnival Magic suddenly threw way dark

"time to vivisect this monkey! who wants ice cream?"

The only way to do science is to cut this chimp up because I poorly understand evolution!

But my beard is immaculate

Always looked glued on to me though.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Wow, Carnival Magic suddenly threw way dark

"time to vivisect this monkey! who wants ice cream?"

The only way to do science is to cut this chimp up because I poorly understand evolution!

The whole vivisection turn makes even LESS sense with the fact that the chimp's talking was added waaaay later in the development. So... instead of wanting to cut up and study the amazing talking chimp, he wants to slice and dice a regular circus monkey...

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I kept trying to get into the old series but I usually ended up treating them like podcasts and tried to play something with them in the background.

I think the new series, even that first episode, finally captured my attention. This is pretty good. I wonder if I appreciate it more because for a few years I've had a dearth of movie reviewers (besides Mr. Plinkett) who riffed movies that I actually wanted to watch. Those guys like Spoony or Nostalgia Critic that grew up on MST3K and were inspired on it. Some of them are still doing stuff but either I'm not interested in their subject matter or they just don't feel the same. I still follow guys like Spoony and Linkara but still.

Point is, it feels like I'm coming to a full circle appreciation on MST3K after watching guys who were inspired by it by watching the actual thing.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any way it doesn't get renewed. It has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is getting good word of mouth from viewers. But only Netflix actually knows how many people are watching, I guess.

They could have another season of MST3K, or six more shitty Adam Sandler movies.

Pretty sure it's an obvious choice for Netflix.

Six shitty Adam Sandler movies, then a MST3K audio option for each of them

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    You joke about it, but man, I would fucking love if MST3K got to do episodes of Netflix originals. Then if Netflix makes good stuff, it's good. But when it's bad, MST3K still makes it good. The symmetry would be beautiful.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You joke about it, but man, I would fucking love if MST3K got to do episodes of Netflix originals. Then if Netflix makes good stuff, it's good. But when it's bad, MST3K still makes it good. The symmetry would be beautiful.

Honestly I think MST3K is best when it's spoofing something watchable

For something actually good I don't really have any reference points but if the Stranger Things clip is any indication I wan them to do literally every Netflix original

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    As much as I love Sense8 I could see that being hilarious with a riff track.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The first third of Land That Time Forgot wasn't half bad, serious Das Boot vibes... Then the dinosaurs appeared.

wVEsyIc.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The first third of Land That Time Forgot wasn't half bad, serious Das Boot vibes... Then the dinosaurs appeared.

Yeah that movie takes a sharp nose dive in quality after the first act.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The Loves of Hercules:
    "Well, I guess my wife died violently, like, three minutes ago. Time to profess my love to this new chick!" I mean, she is Jayne Mansfield, so I kinda get it, but seriously ...

And the award for Least Inspiring Monster Fight Scene Not Filmed at an Elementary School goes to ...

And, seriously, how do you kill the Hydra (which, you know, didn't look any different when "dead" vs. the first shots of it) by cutting off its head?! That's supposed to just let it grow two more, not kill it. We're talking, like, Hydra 101 shit here.

Also, did not know that the male lead for this was Mariska Hargitay's dad, so that's cool.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That Hydra fight........

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also, did not know that the male lead for this was Mariska Hargitay's dad, so that's cool.
    And Jayne Mansfield is her mom. Probably not conceived on set, but who knows? Mickey was damn sexy in this film, picking up obviously light objects and lightly tossing them around the room.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    JonBob wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    And Jayne Mansfield is her mom. Probably not conceived on set, but who knows? Mickey was damn sexy in this film, picking up obviously light objects and lightly tossing them around the room.

That part I actually knew. :)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That Hydra fight........

Yeah. Best episode ending yet, though. Wow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Land of the Lost was actually pretty entertaining, rubber dinos aside. And not necessarily in a so-bad-it's-good way.
    TAKE THE SHOT

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    I am sitting in the theater for the D.C. showing of the SUPER SECRET MOVIE.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Just made it home from the show.

It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Really great crowd - some good cosplay, everyone friendly inline - the whole theater singing along to the theme song was wonderful.

The movie itself was *awful* in the best way possible, and the riffs ranged from serviceable to absolutely hilarious - with the weighting heavily towards the latter. I don't think any of them fell flat.

A++, would look out for snakes again

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The EEGAH! live show was so awesome. The line "Watch out for snakes!" has a theme song now, you guys.

I hope that it gets redone as an actual episode, like when the RiffTrax crew do studio versions of their live shows. Especially for the Super Secret Show, since my town wasn't cool enough to get it.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I can also confirm that the live showing of Eegah is fantastic. I had never actually seen the original airing of the episode so I can't say how it compares. (Un?)fortunately it is on Netflix. I'd recommend getting tickets if you're on the fence.

...I am also trying to figure out if Jonah injuring himself is scripted or not. Also had some Cry Wilderness eeking in. Nobody in any costumes, but lots of people in backer shirts.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Today's the MST3K Comic Con panel. I feel like it's pretty much make or break time if we're getting a new season - they'll either announce it during the panel, or they'll say there's no decision yet...and that would not be a good sign...

Today's the MST3K Comic Con panel. I feel like it's pretty much make or break time if we're getting a new season - they'll either announce it during the panel, or they'll say there's no decision yet...and that would not be a good sign...

What did they say?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There hasn't been any news as best I can tell. I am actually pretty sad if after all this they can't squeak out a renewal

BlindPsychic on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I feel like with Netflix in particular, a new season has to be a win-win for them. The show is so much cheaper to produce than just about anything else they do and it's really popular. Even if it doesn't do the numbers of other series (I have no idea how well it did), I'd have to think the return would be worth it.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I feel like with Netflix in particular, a new season has to be a win-win for them. The show is so much cheaper to produce than just about anything else they do and it's really popular. Even if it doesn't do the numbers of other series (I have no idea how well it did), I'd have to think the return would be worth it.

There's also the fact that Netflix has been losing a lot of business with the major stations lately. Everyone wants to make their own streaming service, so they're dropping their deals with Netflix. That means Netflix needs as much original content as they can get to remain relevant.

PSN|AspectVoid
    edited August 2017
    There's been no news whatsoever. I think Joel is still saying it's being worked out right now, but mostly been keeping on message about the live shows.

In other MST3K-adjacent news, a complete collection of the 12 officially released episodes of Cinematic Titanic was released by Shout Factory yesterday. I completely missed out on CT when it was originally going, so I'm excited to check them out. The set is $28 at Amazon right now.

Captain Tragedy on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There's been no news whatsoever. I think Joel is still saying it's being worked out right now, but mostly been keeping on message about the live shows.

In other MST3K-adjacent news, a complete collection of the 12 officially released episodes of Cinematic Titanic was released by Shout Factory yesterday. I completely missed out on CT when it was originally going, so I'm excited to check them out. The set is $28 at Amazon right now.

There's at least one movie not on the list: The Astral Factor (AKA Invisible Strangler). I saw that one live when they came to town. I'm not sure if they didn't get the rights to it or what.

I also want to say that Rattlers and War of the Insects were the only ones that weren't on Hulu or Amazon Prime previously, since I recall seeing the rest of those streaming.

I remember the Frankenstein one being especially bad, both in the base film and the riffs, but I only watched it once many moons ago.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, there were live episodes/movies they did that were never recorded, unfortunately.

I think there's one case where a audience recorded the audio for a live-only show and then edited it over a copy of the movie and uploaded to YouTube.

Captain Tragedy on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I wish more of the classics were available online. Between the legal ones on youtube/hulu/netflix, I've already seen them all.

I know there's lots of fan uploaded ones on youtube, but the quality/watchability of the uploads vary heavily.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Sadly the nature of the show really doesn't lend itself to a full release of seasons.

"Keep circulating the tapes"

edited August 2017
    Also, the ever constant problems of shifting movie rights that need to be worked out.

Shout Factory just announced that the upcoming volume (which only has 3 episodes) would most likely be its last of classic episodes for the known future, since the rest of the episodes' rights are unobtainable.

Captain Tragedy on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Sadly the nature of the show really doesn't lend itself to a full release of seasons.

"Keep circulating the tapes"

My theory is after it got crowdfunded buying up the movie licenses was doable but now that it's a "Netflix Thing" it might not be worth it.

Buying up the rights to just about anything could potentially (inevitably) enter fuck everything territory

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    It took a while, but I'm finally working my way through the new season! Yay!

But for some reason, I'm not listed in the backer credits! Boo!

Any word on renewal in the last (checks last post date) two months or so?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Did you fill out the survey? The credits are only listing a handful of backers per episode so you might be in an episode you haven't watched yet. I believe it's all alphabetical.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Did you fill out the survey? The credits are only listing a handful of backers per episode so you might be in an episode you haven't watched yet. I believe it's all alphabetical.

I thought I did, but maybe I did it too late? I already passed the episode with my letter; I'm up to the Wizards movies so far.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Carnival Magic going dark in the third act.
    On the other hand, Mark Hamill! I was totally unprepared for his cameo. What a national treasure that guy is.

First Turkey Day Ep - The Day The Earth Froze.

edited November 2017
    Where is this?

Edit: https://youtu.be/2slxiYA66lw

Uselesswarrior on
    Night of the Blood Beast (oddly, not the Turkey Day Version) is up now.

Warrior of the Lost World on now.

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

“Mom my nuts?”