As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

South 2018 Hotel Partners and Discussion

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2017 in PAX South

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    O.o I attempted to make a reservation for a two bed room at the Marriott Riverwalk. I selected two beds, triple occupancy. But when I completed it, it said I had single bed reservations... Is that because they booked all the doubles while I was checking out?

And now Mondays are all gone in the hotels I wanted x.x

Luckily my friend had already made just in case reservations at Homewood. I just wanted something closer :(

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    O.o I attempted to make a reservation for a two bed room at the Marriott Riverwalk. I selected two beds, triple occupancy. But when I completed it, it said I had single bed reservations... Is that because they booked all the doubles while I was checking out?
    That is very possible. That's been a long-standing bug with the onpeak system.

That... is an annoying bug. I've never used OnPeak before xD

But, I kept refreshing and was able to snag my preferred reservation. :)

• JoeSauceJoeSauce KansasRegistered User regular
    That... is an annoying bug. I've never used OnPeak before xD

But, I kept refreshing and was able to snag my preferred reservation. :)

It was doing the same exact thing for me, finally got it to work after 3 or 4 times.

3HeJgC7.png
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Glad I got my quad occupancy double bed at courtyard by Marriott going to be looking for roommates this year :)

• Christopher HuffChristopher Huff Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm just wondering, for all those that stayed at any of the hotels (Grand Hyatt, Marriott Riverwalk/Rivercenter) closest to the convention center and drove in, were you able to find/hold a parking spot hostage at the San Antonio run parking garage throughout the event? From what I've been seeing, hotels like to charge like $30 each day for parking, even more if you opt for valet. I don't really need in/out privileges, and even if I did leave and come back, the cost would still be cheaper to come back. xD

Christopher Huff on
    gVqmaCN.png
  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    Got Residence Inn again this like I did two years ago. I couldn't have gone for closer but eh, it's not that far of a walk honestly and I want that free breakfast so that I don't have to worry about it in the morning. The last time I was there it was great; the staff were nice and super communicative. Cheaper parking too IIRC

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • PuritysanPuritysan thePuritysan San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Got my badge and rooms booked at the Fairfeild! Woohoo!

m2bd3Je.png
  • MurfMurf Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Got my Reserv at the Marriot Riverwalk. Can't wait.

Actually decided to go with Best Western as I did last year, only one block away, much cheaper rooms, free internet and breakfast and parking.

Murf on
  • acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm just wondering, for all those that stayed at any of the hotels (Grand Hyatt, Marriott Riverwalk/Rivercenter) closest to the convention center and drove in, were you able to find/hold a parking spot hostage at the San Antonio run parking garage throughout the event? From what I've been seeing, hotels like to charge like $30 each day for parking, even more if you opt for valet. I don't really need in/out privileges, and even if I did leave and come back, the cost would still be cheaper to come back. xD

the garage next to the Marriott Riverwalk is abput $8-$10 a day (don't remember exactly but I know Wednesday to Sunday came out to under $25), but it fills up pretty early on Thursday and if you plan on Driving in/out you likely not to get back in. I was so glad to find that out about that one after paying $37/day in 2015.

jf7bixxxlknz.png

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hey all. I've got a question about multiple rooms.
    I've got one room booked at the Springhill Suites, and discovered that I'm going to need another most likely. How do I book a 2nd room? Every time I try to book a new room in the same hotel it just takes me back to my previous reservation, and I don't want to cancel and potentially lose my current room. Anyone know if this is possible?

solved, I had to get a second room on another email/name

Crippl3 on
    I think you can also do that via the phone with onpeak? That is if I remember correctly.

acaraba2 wrote: »

the garage next to the Marriott Riverwalk is abput $8-$10 a day (don't remember exactly but I know Wednesday to Sunday came out to under $25), but it fills up pretty early on Thursday and if you plan on Driving in/out you likely not to get back in. I was so glad to find that out about that one after paying $37/day in 2015.

Yeah, that's the garage I was talking about. It used to be called the Marina Garage before San Antonio completely took it over and renamed it the Convention Center Garage. Happened somewhere in between the years 2014 and 2016 if you look at the street view on Google Maps. Right now the rates are set to $10 per day. They could charge more if they decide that PAX South deserves a event rate, but even still, it'll be much cheaper than parking right at the hotel. I paid $15/day at the Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk last year, so I actually save in that aspect. I just have to remember not to forget anything before my big drive in.

gVqmaCN.png
  • luckycreatureluckycreature Registered User new member
    anyone ever stay at homewood suites by hilton riverwalk?

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    anyone ever stay at homewood suites by hilton riverwalk?

I stayed there for 2017, due to negligence on my part had to deal with additional person fees but it wasn't so much that they charged them, rather it ended up being way more than expected until I got in touch about it. Still not real pleasant to deal with an extra $200-300 on your account during a trip. Would make absolutely sure you have accurate info on OnPeak about your group size and call to confirm everything ahead of time.

Otherwise wasn't really that spectacular, the in-room internet was pretty useless, bathroom wasn't great, but the lobby area was pretty nice for mingling with other attendees. It's also really spacious but I feel like I could say that about every hotel in San Antonio compared to what I've expected out of Seattle and the likes.

This year I booked Residence Inn over by the Alamo. Anyone have anything much to say on that one?

jthom252 on
    jthom252 wrote: »
    This year I booked Residence Inn over by the Alamo. Anyone have anything much to say on that one?

It's a very popular hotel.
    I work for marriott and that hotel is sold out pretty much 99% of the time. So you can expect excellent service. :)

..anyone know when the roomshare thread is gonna be up?

m2bd3Je.png
    sometime after pax west

Ayeee, allright. :)

m2bd3Je.png
  • TacokekTacokek Registered User new member
    I used to live in SA, and because of Sea World, Six Flags, and several other tourist attractions around town, there are a TON of hotels. If you are renting a car, you can still get rooms at decent hotels for $50 to $100 per night, with a 10-20 minute drive to a parking garage. That also gives you a lot more opportunity to explore the city and get some local food options (Sea Island and Taco Cabana are musts, both are chains with multiple locations in the city).

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    As someone who was born and raised in SA, I have to agree with the hotel sentiment. Hotels downtown typically gouge people (to the tune of around $200 a night), but there are many nice hotels for half the price or less, just outside of downtown. While our public transit system isn't really good, if you choose your hotel carefully, you can be sure you are on one of the major bus routes to downtown. The other thing is that there are plenty of Uber and Lyft drivers in SA, so you can always get one of those. Though I don't live in SA any more, I come home for Pax South every year. I stay with family and just take Uber/Lyft so as to avoid the hassle with parking downtown. (it sucks)

One year, I want to rent a tour bus or something and take some fellow Paxen on a tour of the city so that they can partake of the many things SA has to offer. SA is one of those cities with so much amazing food, that you really should venture out to try as much as you can. I'm not a fan of seafood in general, but Taco Cabana and Las Palapas are must haves for quick and dirty TexMex, Whataburger is great for fast food burgers, but Chris Madrid's is a much better burger as well as Big Bob's Burgers. For BBQ, Rudy's is a local chain that is pretty good, and Bill Millers does excellent 'fast food' BBQ, but Two Brothers has the best BBQ and sides (especially the potato salad) in the city. I'm happy to provide any recommendations for anything in the city as I lived there for over 20 years and come home 5 or 6 times a year. I follow the city fairly closely as it will always be 'home' for me, and where I always return when I'm tired of living in a new place...

qbqtLfO.png
  • PeregrineVPeregrineV Registered User new member
    edited October 2017
    Just got a Groupon for Hotel Indigo downtown. It's a few blocks from the convention center, but on the Riverwalk. There may be a shuttle or something even, to get to the convention center. And it says free parking.
    Anyway, I tested the nights for Pax 2018 and it's showing about $250 for Fri-Sun.
    I'm local so won't be using it, but I know good hotels at a good price are hard to get, so hope this helps someone.

zerzhul on
    edited October 2017
    I booked instead at the Residence Inn Alamo;; so excite.

Puritysan on
    m2bd3Je.png
    That's also super dishonest and is not a good thing to promote.

If I owned/operated a parking garage, I would have cameras set up to get your tags/plate info and then if you dare do that kind of stuff, then I would have a system where my associate would look your car info up and charge you a penalty for losing it in addition to the amount you should of paid.

gVqmaCN.png
  • AmberxAltF4AmberxAltF4 Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    Has anyone stayed at the Menger and have opinions / thoughts about it?

Trade me pins: Lanyard!

XoFQ4b7.png
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular

It is a cool historic hotel, but make sure to ask to stay in one of the haunted rooms.

qbqtLfO.png

I have.

It is... less than clean and the people working there were less than helpful.