As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Retrofuturism

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Retrofuturism

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Edit: Wrong info.

MaryAmelia on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    But Gabe, didn't you play Skyrim a few years ago? That's not something you just sweep under the rug and forget.

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    But Gabe, didn't you play Skyrim a few years ago? That's not something you just sweep under the rug and forget.

I wouldn't overestimate Gabe's capacity for memory retention.

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    I'm having the same experience with Skyrim VR. I never actually played it, even though I own it on PS3.

• sawellssawells Registered User regular
    Also, continuity in Penny Arcade is, canonically, shattered into a thousand shards:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/05/03

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    This seems to be a recurring issue.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/08/20

• KylogueKylogue Registered User regular

With the number of brooms he was carrying around? I'm not sure...

360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Kylogue wrote: »

My loot OCD destroys me in Skyrim. That game needs the thing from Fallout 4 where you can remove encumbrance restrictions. I could restrain myself in town, and didn't steal everything. But in a dungeon? I killed these fucking orcs, I WILL be taking all their dishes and baskets.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

My loot OCD destroys me in Skyrim. That game needs the thing from Fallout 4 where you can remove encumbrance restrictions. I could restrain myself in town, and didn't steal everything. But in a dungeon? I killed these fucking orcs, I WILL be taking all their dishes and baskets.

I'm pretty good these days about leaving garbage. Magic or advanced weapons and armor, gems, and potions mostly. Even then i still run out of capacity on both me and my fleet l follower.

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've purchased Skyrim 3 times. PS3, then PC during a Steam sale, then on PS4. Farthest I've ever gotten in it is only about 4 hours in, but I keep buying it anyway.

But not this time Bethesda. Fool me three times, shame on me. But you won't be fooling me a 4th time.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Gaia's weathered face is an excellent line I will be stealing.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

I couldn't make it through the tutorial. I knew if there was that much crap in the starting area, I'd never survive the real game.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular

I'm pretty good these days about leaving garbage. Magic or advanced weapons and armor, gems, and potions mostly. Even then i still run out of capacity on both me and my fleet l follower.
    Skyrim was the worst with this because of the damn dragon bones that weigh a ton. I always just disabled carrying capacity in those games with the console commands.

D083uBC.jpg
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I always felt like carrying capacity was part of the game. Stuff like Dragon Bones that you can't use until late game just encouraged me to have a house I could stash stuff. My wife plays with carrying capacity set to Max, but I feel like you'd have to police yourself somewhat so Dweomer ruins don't just become a source of near endless wealth. Weighing the value-weight ratio of certain items against how long I planned on being somewhere before you head to town was part of the game of "how can I most efficiently earn money" to me. It may seem like imposing chores on myself, but I enjoyed the restriction. It would be easy enough to give myself infinite wealth if I didn't want to have to work for my money.

Of course your mileage may vary. My friend plays without fast travel. While I can definitely appreciate how big that makes the world, I don't think I could do it.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

It’s never said he’s playing Skyrim considering this new comic that might be Oblivion!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

It’s never said he’s playing Skyrim considering this new comic that might be Oblivion!

The comic doesn't, but the news post does.

Unless we want to start a debate about whether news post information is considered canon or not. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I've never been too bad in Bethesda RPGs until Fallout 4. Most of the shit in Skyrim is useless, so I can safely ignore it. I do have a special quirk, though. No matter what it is, if the person/container I'm looting contains edibles (except potions), I have to eat it all. That orc had 3 carrots, a cabbage, bonemeal, butterfly wings, and 4 purple mountain flowers? Dinner time, boyyyy!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

That was a different Gabe. Wait, did you think every time he dies and comes back, that's the SAME Gabe? That'd just be dumb.

edited November 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I've never been too bad in Bethesda RPGs until Fallout 4. Most of the shit in Skyrim is useless, so I can safely ignore it. I do have a special quirk, though. No matter what it is, if the person/container I'm looting contains edibles (except potions), I have to eat it all. That orc had 3 carrots, a cabbage, bonemeal, butterfly wings, and 4 purple mountain flowers? Dinner time, boyyyy!
    Wander into the backside of a vampire's castle where no one has been in literal centuries, piles of bones and unidentifiable rotting meat everywhere. Collapsed architecture, spiderwebs, ooh a cookpot, don't mind if i do.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Skull's post reminds me of a thing where Jerry described a habit in one these western rpg's of collecting & then consuming intoxicants just to see what happened. Wouldn't know where to begin looking for the exact quote though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Skull's post reminds me of a thing where Jerry described a habit in one these western rpg's of collecting & then consuming intoxicants just to see what happened. Wouldn't know where to begin looking for the exact quote though.

I'm imagining my Skyrim character stumbling around one of the towns drunk now. Trying to walk forward but having the movement shudder off to the side from time to time. Every once in awhile the camera flops over sideways and I'm looking very closely at the ground. Perhaps sometimes I get locked up in the town drunk tank for the night. Or maybe the screen just fades to black and then I wake up in strange and sometimes amusing places. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    comic253.png

RatherDashing89 on
  • wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Yep, me too. I feel that one of the follower options should be a very large cart pulled by two massive horses.

wallywest on

I remember this but can't find it. Google is having a bizarrely hard time returning results from the actual site.

Pretty sure it started out with Tycho describing how to learn what alchemy ingredients do, you eat them, which naturally leads to him collecting all the flowers and insects in a town, going to the square to eat them all at once and trip balls.

steam_sig.png
  • ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    BlackDove wrote: »
    This seems to be a recurring issue.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/08/20

Indeed.
    844814473_nB7RE-2100x20000.jpg

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Unless we want to start a debate about whether news post information is considered canon or not. :)

I’d rather pound nails in my knee

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

I’d rather pound arrows in my knee