As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't realize it was random like that. I figured level ups pulled from a table, and just sometimes there were lackluster levels in the table.

Knowing that I'm getting screwed by RNG somehow makes those bad levels feel way worse.

Yeah, each character has their own growth rate for stats, and the RNG rolls for each stat, and if it rolls below the growth rate the stat goes up.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't know why, but I felt compelled to watch the original Fire Emblem OAV tonight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L01O7D2Skk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYDvV2UzQ2g

You know, it is a little cheesy but it's honestly not that bad! It is amusing to hear all the pre-official translations of everyone's name. I think the worst offender is Draug as "Doga" (which I totally see if you say it slow enough and with a thick Japanese accent). I still think Mars is the proper translation of Marth's name (I mean... in a game with characters named Minerva, Cain, Abel, etc I doubt they were trying to be subtle), but oh well :P

The annoying thing is it ends barely any way into the story at two episodes. Marth doesn't even get the Falchion (which looks stupid here :P). Kind of makes me want to track down Shadow Dragon or something to see the rest of this plot, since I've never actually played the original game (or any of its remakes)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Oof, that battle against Ryoma on the Fates map is really difficult. I think I'm actually gonna have to use a smart combination of characters and weapons instead of just using my current lowest level units and leveling up their supports.

Beat it! Twice even, to get both of Anna's mementos + S-rank. My problem before was not immediately killing the rally captain that appears.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So I've been playing some of the older games and I need to know...am I weird or do you all talk to your characters to try and get good levels, too?

Y'know, all

"C'mon, Jill, wow me!"
    *Jill gets one HP and one Luck*
    "...well, I mean...wow. But maybe I should have been more specific."

Speaking of levels, I just want to brag and/or express disbelief at my luck.

Playing Sacred Stones at the moment. Amelia has a 35% rate for Strength. Her average strength at level 8 unpromoted is 10.

My Amelia currently, at level 8 unpromoted, has a strength of 16.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was playing Valentia last night.

Man it's a good thing I decided to play Casual difficulty this time. Otherwise Alm wouldn't have an army left after last night.

I am in Act 3 now and...
    (spoilers for general stuff, nothing specific)
    I now have control of both armies at once. I can control Alm and I can control Celica. Celica's army is all around level 9 to 11 after completing her solo story in Act 2. However, Alm's army is only like 5-8 since Act 1 is his and is a much lower difficulty tier. So now that I'm back in control of Alm, the enemies still only say like level 5 or so, but they are tier 2 classes like Paladins and stuff.

And holy crap they're ripping me up. One of the battles I did last night had like 8 fatalities in it before I won. There were like 3 mounted armor dudes, either knights or paladins. Or maybe cavaliers. I can't remember. And I only have 1 mage in my party, and magic seems to be the only real way to deal with armored targets. And fighting 3 at once was a super brutal kick to the nuts.

It's not like Celica's army, which has like 3 mages, a really strong priest, and a decent balance of physical dudes too.

Anyway, the difficulty has spiked sharply in Act 3, at least for Alm's half of the story. And I don't seem to have any grindable missions available right now either. Guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and push through till I get to a repeatable/grindable spot.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I finished Valentia in Hard/Classic mode and didn't need to grind. Hard to say how my comp was different, but Alm's army is weaker than Celica's.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I mean, I got to pick my class on damn near everybody in Alm's army. Had I known that armored units are like 98% immune to physical, I might have gone with two mages instead of just one. But I went the "one of everything" route with my villager friends. So I've got one Mage, one Archer, one Mercenary, one Pegasus Knight. And then the randos I picked up along the way, a spear guy, another archer, another pegasus knight, and a regular horse rider dude.

I'm not equipped to handle armored targets at all.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I haven't played the new one, is the sword that has a fixed 15 attack vs Magic Defense not in the early part of chapter 1 anymore?

Also do Clerics not have an attack spell that drains health?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Yeah, Clerics have "Nosferatu" which does damage and heals the caster. But it has like a 50% hit chance and is highly unreliable.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Were stat growths also awful in the original one?

There are way too many times when I had units grow by 1 HP on level up, to the point where I had frontline units at base class that couldn't realistically do their job as frontline units, and the only hope was to drag them along until I could class change them and bring them up to baseline for their new class.

Me and my pals had a fun time trading stories about which units were useless in our respective campaigns as a result of their stat growths.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Yeah. Growths were all around way lower in the super early days.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Finally unlocked Lyn. Didn't manage to S-rank her mission though, despite using Marth who is by far my highest-leveled character. I need to get back to it later at some point, but I'm still glad that I did it so I can finally start working on Lyn's supports.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I’m kind of at a loss for how to handle the grand grind of warriors.

I have all the characters, now I just need to level them all up to do the level 80 missions, grind the supports for skills and grind the non support related drops for more skills.

I feel like trying to tackle just one thing at a time would take forever. But trying to arrange multiple things seems like s headache.

Also I have to look up some of these scroll missions because Leo’s and Carmilla’s are just completely impossible at the moment.

Viskod on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Viskod wrote: »

I have all the characters, now I just need to level them all up to do the level 80 missions, grind the supports for skills and grind the non support related drops for more skills.

I feel like trying to tackle just one thing at a time would take forever. But trying to arrange multiple things seems like s headache.

Also I have to look up some of these scroll missions because Leo’s and Carmilla’s are just completely impossible at the moment.

Just throw money at leveling them. Supports you can grind on timed onslaught maps while farming silver drops (e.g. myrmidon headbands). And then you'll get named drops from raising supports too.

Scroll missions aren't that bad. Compared to Anna missions anyways - lower level and generally less unit restrictions.

5th Anna map has almost no unit restrictions though. You just can't field Celica.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    In Shadows of Valentia, what's the deal with the Shadow Sword?

It's descriptive text says it's a Cursed Blade. I put it on one of my dudes, and he absolutely murdered a few people with it. And then I attacked an undead and my guy damaged himself instead? Does this blade only work against living targets and I need to unequip it when I'm fighting undead? Is that how this works? Or is it just a % chance to inflict user-damage on any target and I was just getting lucky hit rolls against humans?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

It's descriptive text says it's a Cursed Blade. I put it on one of my dudes, and he absolutely murdered a few people with it. And then I attacked an undead and my guy damaged himself instead? Does this blade only work against living targets and I need to unequip it when I'm fighting undead? Is that how this works? Or is it just a % chance to inflict user-damage on any target and I was just getting lucky hit rolls against humans?

It gives you -10 luck and occasionally does damage to you instead of the target. Best to forge it into a Brave Sword later.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Your confusion is understandable; it took me a fairly annoying wiki trawl to figure out exactly what's going on. The best I can tell you is that it's a passive attribute of the Shadow Sword that the attacker might damage themselves. According to this wiki page, the chance of that happening was 21% minus the character's Luck stat, except for Dread Fighters, who are completely immune... in the NES version. There's no indication either there or at Serenes Forest, which is my go-to for Fire Emblem listings, that it works the same way in Echoes.

But, the short of it is that the Shadow Sword will occasionally make the user damage themselves instead of the enemy.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Camilla's weapon scroll is pretty easy since all you need to do is kill normal mooks. Just use a warrior special if someone with a life bar is about to hit you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Kind of makes me want to track down Shadow Dragon or something to see the rest of this plot, since I've never actually played the original game (or any of its remakes)

I mean, Fire Emblem is a 15 game series that has, like, three plots. So you probably have seen the rest of the plot already.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Kind of makes me want to track down Shadow Dragon or something to see the rest of this plot, since I've never actually played the original game (or any of its remakes)

I mean, Fire Emblem is a 15 game series that has, like, three plots. So you probably have seen the rest of the plot already.

Fire Emblem plots are almost universally:
    the main introduced villain is either not really a "villain" or is merely a tool of a bigger baddie
    -> there is some magic power that is powerfully corrupting
    -> a dragon did it

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

the main introduced villain is either not really a "villain" or is merely a tool of a bigger baddie
    -> a dragon did it

-> get the macguffin to beat the dragon

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

-> a dragon did it

It's not always a dragon, sometimes it's a god, or a demon, or a dragon god, or a demon dragon. What more variety could you ask for?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Oversimplification of the story be damned.

I'm loving the story of Alm and Celica. I don't care if a dragon did it. Or a god. Or a dragon demon god.

Right now, in the here and the now, all I know is that kingdoms are at war and I have this beautiful friendship that has been separated by war and it's so great, you guys.

• Options
    COME AT ME, FOOLS

I actually think Tobin's support with Alm is one of the realest, most bro supports ever.

• Options
    Beat Act 3.

I just looked at the map for Act 4. Holy crap that's a lot of battles I have ahead of me. Like wow.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Fates DLC coming December 21st to Fire Emblem Warriors

https://serenesforest.net/2017/12/05/fire-emblem-warriors-fe-fates-dlc-set-dec-21st/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hmm. I thought it was the 31st. Is this a Japan only release or a global one?

• Options
    Hmm. I thought it was the 31st. Is this a Japan only release or a global one?

The 31st was a pretty obvious placeholder since that's a Sunday.

• Options
    Seems a new patch will be released together with the Fates DLC
    1. New weapon ranks: Additional “Hero” weapons that are stronger than “Brave” weapons (Hero Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Tome and Stone). After the update, you’ll receive one of each weapon for free.

2. Leveling: Level cap has been raised to 110.

3. New weapon attributes: Strength Drain, which boosts damage after every 100 kills. It will be added to random drops after the update.

4. Blessings New blessings for the shrine: Defence Blessing, Resistance Blessing, Drain Blessing, Seal Blessing.

5. Other: Ability to buy the Fire Emblem Fates paid DLC, can now give orders to restore a fortress captain’s HP, History Mode S rank requirements have been made easier in the New 3DS version, other bug fixes etc.

• Options
    Man, these battles in Act 4 of Valentia are pretty rough. Glad I'm playing on Casual cause I'm losing dudes right and left.

Poor Est hasn't survived even one battle since she joined my army.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Man, these battles in Act 4 of Valentia are pretty rough. Glad I'm playing on Casual cause I'm losing dudes right and left.

Poor Est hasn't survived even one battle since she joined my army.

It seems hard to use the pegasus riders correctly. I’ve been playing range games, using mages to take enemies close to death, then using the sisters to swoop in and finish the enemies off.

And the archers are usually in some of the hardest positions to assault on the map, so some fights I hardly get to use fliers at all.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Finally getting around to playing FE Awakening. Man, this game is amazing! I feel silly for not playing it sooner.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    The Fates DLC is out for Warriors, introducing two characters who were already in the game and one who probably should've been there from the start.

But hey, at least now we got lance users that aren't pegasus knights.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    hard to tell from that PV video, is niles another archer clone besides the different warrior/awakening animations?

still, very tempting to get the DLC to get a non pegasus lancer. I don't think I'll end up maxing every character but so far I've got a high level lucina with nearly a full skill build (luna/astra/trample/awakening/armored blow/solidarity, probably drop awakening for luck+20) and a maxed out personal weapon and anna with the same skills but no brave bow yet. probably try to get a powered up character with every weapon type, so lance, axe and tombs to go (tiki's kind of weird, I don't have the right stuff yet to get it set up so she can be in permanent awakening form)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    hard to tell from that PV video, is niles another archer clone besides the different warrior/awakening animations?

Niles is Takumi is Sakura is Anna, yes.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I honestly couldn't tell much difference between takumi and sakura either in terms of their string & strong attacks

• Options
    I honestly couldn't tell much difference between takumi and sakura either in terms of their string & strong attacks

There isn't one.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

There isn't one.

That's... what I thought.

• Options
    At least Azura and Oboro aren't clones of each other. Azura uses a lot of water and Oboro... doesn't.

It's also nice the three character are unlocked straight away and you don't need to complete their maps first. The one thing that really annoyed me about Lyn and Celica's maps is that you don't actually get to play through them first with Lyn and Celica.

• Options
    Lyn seems really fun, from what little I've used her since unlocking her. Especially that teleport attack (C4 or C5?)

Celica seemed... not great? Also super disappointed she was just another sword hero as far as I could tell, though the rapier moves didn't seem to have much horizontal action

That said after maxing out Lucina I kind of don't want to touch another sword person, you know?

This discussion has been closed.