As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    there really isn't a more appropriate thread to discuss warhammer fantasy

so, recently, I've been studying up on the Lore

Lizardmen are fucking rad. I've been absorbing everything I can about them. Luckily, if I wanted to learn the Warhammer timeline from front to back, the Lizardmen are a GREAT place to start.

Melissa's Power Ratings: Skinks > Kroxigar > Saurus > Dinosaurs > Slann

edit: hail Sotek
    HAIL SOTEK, BLOOD SERPENT THAT LOVES US ALL EXCEPT FOR THE RAT ONES

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat made me hate those rat fuckers with the fire of a hundred suns.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Somebody should play Deathwing with me.

I'll play with you!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Robot Girly Man is back? Has Cypher advanced at all or have we learned if it was Alpha or Omega that survived?

Cypher actually joined with him, fighting their way back to Terra to stop a Khornate daemon incursion. However, he had something nefarious in mind for the Emperor, so he was captured, and of course later escaped.

It's also confirmed that the Emperor is now essentially a warp god, and aside from protecting humanity as a whole, isn't capable of relating to normal humans, or even his "sons" anymore (not technically new info, but basically confirming fan conjecture of his attitude and behavior).

I always thought Cypher's end game was to destroy the Golden Throne using the Lion's sword, thus releasing the God Emperor from his Mortal Form, turning him into a warp god. I wanted that story. A loyalist who does the most unthinkable crime to free their leader from his prison so he can save humanity. It would have cost them Terra but unleashed the Emperor as a Warp God.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Somebody should play Deathwing with me.

I'll play with you!

Add me on steam! Playing for honor right now but might have time for it later. If not tonight, after I get off work tomorrow.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm still sad and angry that FFG lost the 40k license

Really if it's because we got a better Gw think it's acceptable
    To know in the space of a year it went from this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

To this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbepSuA0aYo

To this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAPbWbglps
    Really I had no idea how to paint necron vehicles I thought it was a dark green and a ton of wash
    Their facebook plays along with people
    I like watching Duncan the robot paint as it solves a lot of problems and questions I had about certain looks or had no idea how they got that look

I really don't like that Tabletop Minions guy. He always has this fake concerned/thoughtful/sarcastic/constipated look. And he seems to really like to hear himself talk.

Maybe I'm wrong, but he just rubs me the wrong way.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Robot Girly Man is back? Has Cypher advanced at all or have we learned if it was Alpha or Omega that survived?

Cypher actually joined with him, fighting their way back to Terra to stop a Khornate daemon incursion. However, he had something nefarious in mind for the Emperor, so he was captured, and of course later escaped.

It's also confirmed that the Emperor is now essentially a warp god, and aside from protecting humanity as a whole, isn't capable of relating to normal humans, or even his "sons" anymore (not technically new info, but basically confirming fan conjecture of his attitude and behavior).

I always thought Cypher's end game was to destroy the Golden Throne using the Lion's sword, thus releasing the God Emperor from his Mortal Form, turning him into a warp god. I wanted that story. A loyalist who does the most unthinkable crime to free their leader from his prison so he can save humanity. It would have cost them Terra but unleashed the Emperor as a Warp God.

Except that apparently, that no longer needs to happen. At least for now.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat made me hate those rat fuckers with the fire of a hundred suns.

be the kroxigar to my skink

we'll heck up those rat bastards good

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I feel the need to post one of the greatest pieces of Aeldari fan art

That person now also does official art for the Warhammer community page.

One of the weird things that happened over the last year was GW's stance on fan art as wolf and sister got a nasty Cease and desist order from them which caused that person pretty much to delete everything he did of 40k
    szrugegff7x6.png
    Many other fan comics met lesser fates but it's just odd to see the complete 180 they did on it when it comes to Eagle Ordinary

That... really sucks.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I hope they didn't stop Lord Inquisitor.

They BETTER not have.

I can't wait for troll-quisitor kun.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They didn't which also was weird
    It's obviously in development hell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    uvcl8tf3sz43.jpg

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I really wish there were a 40k lore series as good as Greyhunter's Fantasy lore series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391ox2-qcPA

Most people who have lore videos on Youtube just monotonously drone out history.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    THE PRIMARCHS ARE BACK WTF?

. . . Is Leman Russ back? Because if not Gamesworkshop and everyone in this entire thread, including me, but especially me, can go straight to hell.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I love the fluff for Fantasy but find 40k totally impenetrable.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I just find 40k lore kind of monotonous, but then I am mostly familiar with Imperial stuff.

I feel like 40k is much more focused on maintaining a particular aesthetic.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    THE PRIMARCHS ARE BACK WTF?

. . . Is Leman Russ back? Because if not Gamesworkshop and everyone in this entire thread, including me, but especially me, can go straight to hell.

Magnus is back so people assume Russ will come eventually.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    A lot of the Primarchs have an out for coming back in some way shape or form.
    Horus: One of the Fabius clones wasn’t killed by Abaddon
    Sanguinius: Sanguinor was him all along
    Russ: Comes back from the Warp as a big dumb werewolf
    Corax: Ran away, can come back and reinvent his sons as the Pit-and-Pendulum Legion
    Lion: Wakes up and socks every last member of the Dark Angel Inner Circle in the jaw
    Khan: Rides out of the Webway on a flesh motorcycle covered in tattoos and piercings
    Dorn: His hand comes to life a la Thing from the Adams Family
    Curze: Elaborate batman-esque plan to fake his death (probably dead)
    Manus: Someone sticks his head in a robot
    Vulkan: Returns after ten thousand years of Highlander adventures

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    Corax: Ran away, can come back and reinvent his sons as the Pit-and-Pendulum Legion
    Lion: Wakes up and socks every last member of the Dark Angel Inner Circle in the jaw
    Khan: Rides out of the Webway on a flesh motorcycle covered in tattoos and piercings

While not canon, I like "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech device"'s approach to the Primarchs returning.

Hell, I like the Emperor in TTS more than the canon Emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-6aj9sNvo

Tube wrote: »

Have you seen an 80s heavy metal cover?

Good, then its in the setting.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

Devastation of baal supposedly confirms that
    the sanguinor is an aspect of sanguinius. Also Dante kills the swarm lord because he's a top lad

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So what's going on with the space wolves?
    I don't really follow the lore, but last i heard they were arguing with inquisition, being invaded by Thousand Sons and possibly going rogue/heretic.

Nyysjan wrote: »
    I don't really follow the lore, but last i heard they were arguing with inquisition, being invaded by Thousand Sons and possibly going rogue/heretic.

I think the conclusion of warzone Fenris was that they stopped the invasion but they had to full most of the population due to exposure to chaos

Was that tainted by chaos or being aware of chaos?
    Because if later, i'm pretty sure Logain has had some very specific views about it in the pass.

edited November 2017
    The setting has been developed about another 200 years post 13th Black Crusade into the 42nd Millenium. Major changes/minor story changes.

The Imperium is now effectively split in two now that Cadia and the Pylons are destroyed, warp storms are growing.
    The Astronomicon flat out isn't working in some parts of the Imperium, so they're on their own, but still fighting. This includes the Vahallians.
    Guilliman is back, having been resurrected by Archmagos Cawl and the Eldar, he now wields the Emperor's sword and deposed all the Lords of Terra who were against him taking charge.
    He's pretty depressed about the state of the Imperium, but resolves to keep fighting.
    Humorously he stops arguing the "we're not divine" line, after a few centuries when he realizes it's pointless.
    The Eldar now have a new God of death, and the Imperium are rallying behind Guilliman.
    Guilliman fought both Magnus and Mortarion and beat the hell out of them.
    The Custodes and Sisters of Silence are back in action and helped repel a daemon raid on Terra.
    A huge Terran crusade was launched to push back Chaos and other factions and it was mostly successful.
    Thus we still have the status quo, it's just more METAL and EXTREME with even HIGHER STAKES.
    The Space Marines got another big upgrade, Primaris Marines. Bigger stronger faster etc.
    The Chaos gods are NOT happy about Guilliman's return, but are planning bigger atrocities, warriors, etc etc.
    The Tyranids were stopped by the Blood Angels and KHORNE, at Baal, lol. No one is allowed to kill the Blood Angels but his forces. :P
    Necrons are still being dicks, but are focusing against Chaos.
    Orks iz still orky. Armageddon is gearing up for another massive war with Chaos thrown in for fun.
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Nothing ultra major other than taking part in the Terran Crusade to push back Chaos. No one doubts Russ and the other Loyalists will return now though. Guilliman was just the first.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Also primaris space marines mean that chapters with genetic issues can successfully make new successor chapters.

Kinda wondering about how Space wolves will react to primaris marines, and how the new primaris marines will react to space wolves (especially the wolfen).

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’d love to see the relationship between the Primaris and vanilla Marines explored. I can’t imagine every chapter is gonna be thrilled with these new guys slowly replacing them.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited November 2017
    All of their visual designs are pretty cool too.
    b6cea48762622a3358b7fa0b8298a290.jpg

i.e., the new jump jet trooper has dual sawn off heavy bolters, because WHY NOT HERETIC?

manwiththemachinegun on
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I’d love to see the relationship between the Primaris and vanilla Marines explored. I can’t imagine every chapter is gonna be thrilled with these new guys slowly replacing them.

The dark angels are not impressed as it means their secret heresy might come out.

The blood angels and their successors got mashed up by hive fleet leviathan. And the crimson fists aren't in a great state after ryns world got invaded. They're happy to have them

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that most of the Primaris were frozen during the Heresy. So you’ve got these logical atheists from the best and brightest period of Imperium history waking up in the middle of the Spanish Inquisition surrounded by statues of their dead dads and their brethren are sieg heiling the desiccated corpse of the God-Emperor.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Tis true

Rabooty is not happy with the current state of the imperium

He also realizes its entirely their fault, and actually does blame E for a lot of it.

And what does he think Emprah should have done to stop the whole godhood thing?

Mainly not treated his Primarches as expendable assets and trusted them as actual SONS, which is what largely left them open to corruption in the first place.

G has a conversation with E in which he realizes, more than ever, that the Emperor, for all his good intentions, entirely cannot relate to ordinary people, and recognizes that pride, more than anything, is what destroyed them during the Heresy.

Well, sure, but i can see how being 30+ thousand year old could make it hard to relate to people you've known just a few years/decades/centuries.

That said, i suspect chaos gods would have found another way.

The funny thing is that most of the Primaris were frozen during the Heresy. So you’ve got these logical atheists from the best and brightest period of Imperium history waking up in the middle of the Spanish Inquisition surrounded by statues of their dead dads and their brethren are sieg heiling the desiccated corpse of the God-Emperor.

vvypja32sank.png

The source in question isn't the new codex, but the new Dark Imperium novel FYI.

This discussion has been closed.