As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Impetus

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Chicken Bacon Ranch is so bad, jesus christ you guys have no taste buds

What.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This thread is not about the comics that it is not about. You had a chance to discuss the comics that this comic is not, in the thread for the comics that those comics were, at the time.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Submarineway is a perfectly fine restaurant

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I think those are nice sandwiches. Maybe there are other places that do better ones, I don't know, but Subway is pretty good and I eat there when I get sick.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Also, Jared's crime aside, their marketing was right. Subway was a decent fast food option if you were trying to lose weight or eat somewhat healthy.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    My games store is right next door to a subway. I wouldn't trade them for anyone. My tuna or Italian BMT is the only thing that powers me through a day of DnD.

Also I long ago realized I didn't need to agree with or really care about their opinions to enjoy the comic. Polygon does good reviews of games, but I don't bother with other kinds of media very much - I find game sites are terrible at that.

Games can clearly be both toys and art. If you've never seen slinky art before, you are missing out.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I just can't remain silent on this subject any longer: Subway is my last sandwich resort.

Every time I walk into their shop, there's a particular "Subway" smell that permeates everything. It's in the cups, the bags, the napkins and ESPECIALLY the Sandwiches. And it's not like some sort of natural scent, like cinnamon or coffee. The only thing I can think of that it smells like is Subway.

As for the comic, it's just a comic. They'll be another one in two-three days. And it will be free. Getting mad (or, "I'm not mad, I'm more disappointed.") about it seems even more silly than getting mad about a toy.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Also, Jared's crime aside, their marketing was right. Subway was a decent fast food option if you were trying to lose weight or eat somewhat healthy.

I'm on a fairly strict diet and Subway has pretty reasonable macros, I have one every now and then.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    When I get a subway sammich, I never ger sauce on it, I do not like sauce on sammiches. So I actually don't know what a chicken bacon ranch would taste like on account of the ranch.

What I get when I go in is turkey, pepper jack toasted with lettuce and jalapeno peppers with salt and pepper on top. It is the best.

Jimmy Johns has better ingredients, but they don't let me make that sub.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Subway is like fourth tier sandwiches. I only go there when I don't have time to travel elsewhere or there are no better options.

1) Firehouse Subs (a local chain)
    2) Planet Sub (another local chain)
    3) Goodcents, Schlotsky's
    4) Subway

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Honestly best subs I’ve had were from the Publix deli. Supermarket

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Chicken Bacon Ranch is so bad, jesus christ you guys have no taste buds

What.

Subway is my go-to place when there is nowhere else to go to

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I just finished a subway sandwich. It was fine.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Subway is like fourth tier sandwiches. I only go there when I don't have time to travel elsewhere or there are no better options.

1) Firehouse Subs (a local chain)
    2) Planet Sub (another local chain)
    3) Goodcents, Schlotsky's
    4) Subway

Firehouse is delicious but I've never gotten good service from them (admittedly this is probably just a locations thing and not a franchise wide problem). Also their selection of veggies is... uninspired. And holy shit their app/website is garbage for ordering food.

They'd be my #1 or 2 for sure if it weren't for those problems. As it is I gotta go with Jersey Mike's or maybe Potbelly, but I get Mike's way more often so that says it all, I guess.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I go to Subway and Jimmy Johns. I like Subway because I tell them what to put on the sandwich as opposed to having to tell them what NOT to put on the sandwich. It seems to work out better that way for all involved. ;) At Jimmy Johns, I get one of the "slim" sandwiches (just meat and cheese) for the reason I just mentioned, but also because I like the Slim #5 (and to be honest even at Subway I don't put many veggies on my sandwich).

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Paying someone else to make you a sandwich is scrub tier. Sandwiches are like, the easiest things in the world to make.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Paying someone else to make you a sandwich is scrub tier. Sandwiches are like, the easiest things in the world to make.

The better, more interesting chains will have proprietary seasoning blends and oils and other ingredients/breads/styles to make their shit stand out and be harder to just slap together at home.

Plus, even if I'm looking at a lesser chain like Subway, in order to replicate their variety of ingredients, I'd have to be spending a ludicrous amount of time and energy amassing a library of sandwich bits, and a lot of that is just going to go off before I work through it because I'm just not going to eat a well put together, multiple-ingredient deli sandwich for every meal.

Like, I have sandwiches that I make at home, and love, and would never buy at a store because why. But I'm also not going to regularly go out and buy various kinds of bread rolls and deli ingredients so I can stick it to the man and make my own subs at home because why.

• Options
    This comic does seem to be getting the piss taken out of it by other comedy sites in a way that I don't see happening for a lot of other PA strips:

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/11/its-the-children-who-are-wrong/

Mike and Jerry definitely seem to hit a nerve with this one, I dunno if it's Polygon fans gettin' defensive or what.

• Options

I don't eat sandwiches daily. Having all those ingredients around would just result in a lot of wasted ingredients.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

I don't eat sandwiches daily. Having all those ingredients around would just result in a lot of wasted ingredients.

Also, there's plenty of times where I am in workplace environments where I have neither the facilities nor the space to store a sandwich later for lunchtime if I prepared one at home to eat. In those instances, when you break for lunch, duckin' out to a deli or a sub place is a totally reasonable thing to do. You don't have anywhere to store your hand-crafted sandwich until then otherwise.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's why you have to make your sandwich ahead of time and tape it to the underside of a table in the nearest Subway.

• Options
    That's why you have to make your sandwich ahead of time and tape it to the underside of a table in the nearest Subway.

this guy

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This comic does seem to be getting the piss taken out of it by other comedy sites in a way that I don't see happening for a lot of other PA strips:

Mike and Jerry definitely seem to hit a nerve with this one, I dunno if it's Polygon fans gettin' defensive or what.

There's pre-existing tension between them and games press, so people are kinda tuned to respond to comics like this.

• Options
    SaleriSaleri Registered User new member

Yep, the only thing funnier than this comic was the amount of people getting irrationally offended/mad over it.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

That line about the PAX Enforcers is brutal

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I guess it's war then. Ready your swords, my fellow Penny Arcadians. We ride with the dawn! ;)

(j/k of course. I'm not really inciting conflict here.)

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

It would be more brutal if it weren’t simply wrong.

• Options

Probably owned by the same media corporation. They make a decent point though, which has been repeated in various other comic controversies like this several times that Mike/Jerry have this idea they're still the "Little guys" when they are anything but in most discussions. One exception I have though is the shot about the free X-Box products etc, which has a clear being paid off connotation. In the entire time I've read PA I've never once got the impression they could be bought off and that anything they promote is solely because they like it.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

It would be more brutal if it weren’t simply wrong.

I am not aware of what Enforcers get, at least here in Australia anyway. Is it free entry, stuff or is it actually being paid to run the event? Most conventions here in Australia the volunteers are not paid and get a few benefits for it, which I have direct experience with having volunteered for a couple (Supanova and Ozcomic con).

Edit: This should not have been a double post - apologies.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Probably owned by the same media corporation. They make a decent point though, which has been repeated in various other comic controversies like this several times that Mike/Jerry have this idea they're still the "Little guys" when they are anything but in most discussions. One exception I have though is the shot about the free X-Box products etc, which has a clear being paid off connotation. In the entire time I've read PA I've never once got the impression they could be bought off and that anything they promote is solely because they like it.

I took the line about free review copies to be more along the lines of, "this is a thing your average gamer everyman does not get, if you get this then you don't get to posture as your average gamer everyman."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I took the line about free review copies to be more along the lines of, "this is a thing your average gamer everyman does not get, if you get this then you don't get to posture as your average gamer everyman."

I can see that, but it felt like similar comments about corruption that has been directed at reviewers various times for getting free things from the companies they are rating the games from. Or possibly it's a little of both. Either way, they have never been afraid to shit on people they previously liked when they have stuffed up, like their comics about the initial Xbox one announcement.

• Options
    I am not aware of what Enforcers get, at least here in Australia anyway. Is it free entry, stuff or is it actually being paid to run the event? Most conventions here in Australia the volunteers are not paid and get a few benefits for it, which I have direct experience with having volunteered for a couple (Supanova and Ozcomic con).

I don't know specifically about Aus (because I'm less involved with it) but they're certainly paid in the US.

• Options
    beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    The Twitter salt over this comic has been utterly delightful. Generic hipster Beard Guys working out their angst via snark as far as the eye can see. Don't worry fellas, I'm sure it's just a few vile reactionaries who think you're a joke when you write a thinkpiece on the meaning of Skylanders in the Age of Trump or some crap. Them and your dad.

God you can feel the ambient shame emanating off some of these guys. Every time I see one of those "turkey bacon ranch is politically tone deaf" articles I just imagine the author telling some cute girl at the bar that he's "a writer" and how bad he feels when she asks what kinds of things he writes.

• Options
    Personally I try (admittedly not always successfully) to disagree with people without trying to belittle them or make insulting assumptions about them.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I don't know specifically about Aus (because I'm less involved with it) but they're certainly paid in the US.

I did not know this. That's cool

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Provided that Polygon is owned by Vox, I'm sure it's company policy to tie their blogs back to their particular world view. Kotaku befell a similar fate. They'll brow beat the reader for using a ball point pen because at some point someone bad used one.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I feel like literally any other sandwich chain is better than Subway

Quizno's? Better than Subway
    Potbelly? Better than Subway
    Jimmy John's? Better than Subway
    Jersey Mike's? Better than Subway
    Blimpie? Better than Subway

The only one I'm kinda iffy on is D'Angelo. And obviously Wawa is god tier.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

A seemingly nice guy with a lot of connections in the industry that is popular to hate?

• Options

That's really good to hear actually. My understanding is they are not paid here, but that is only valid from a couple of years ago and it's not common for vollies to be paid at conventions in Australia.