As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Fuck these endgame hatless challenge stages

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L3bcdGvv3s8
    I am completely freaking out about the New Donkers.

light spoilers?
    Super Mario Odyssey is set on Earth. Except instead of being our Earth, it's some sort of world with robots and magic everywhere.

Mario is known to be a human, as is the regent of the Mushroom Kingdom (Princess Peach) and the regent of the Syrup Kingdom (Princess Daisy).

Mario and Luigi had parents, as evidenced in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but children are delivered by Storks.

So the nature of humans is different from our own.

According to the map in Super Mario Odyssey, the Metro Kingdom, that is, the one kingdom exclusively populated by humans, appears to be in France.

Additionally, the city is called "New Donk City" and has streets named after Donkey Kong Country characters. The Mayor, Pauline, was one kidnapped by the original Donkey Kong, now known as Cranky Kong. Additionally, she was later kidnapped by Cranky's son, the current Donkey Kong. Now, that would indicate that perhaps the city was founded by the Kong dynasty, yet pwoer was usurped by Pauline. Pauline was saved by Mario several times and it has been established that neither Donkey Kong nor Pauline bear ill will towards each other. This would imply, perhaps, that there was a consensual exchange of power between the Donkey Kong Dynasty and Pauline.

Then there's the fact that New Donkers all look extremely strange and dress in a stereotypical manner reminiscent of mafiosi.

Note that not even Waluigi, arguably the most warped pre-odyssey Human, has proportions as warped as New Donkers. New Donkers are the latest humans to be revealed. Note that many humans have been seen in the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games, and they had similar proportions to Mario.

But at the same time, the human contestants in the original Tennis game? They look closer to New Donkers.

What does this all mean?

Daisy is from Sarasaland, not the Syrup Kingdom, Which isn't even a thing that I can recall.

I may have confused her kingdom for Captain Syrup of the black Sugar Pirates?

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

I loved those. First real challenge in the game.

Relying on chaining slippery, yet unforgiving, long jumps over and over with exact timing is not my idea of awesome.

That specific moon:
    Yeah, I hated that. 10 hyper exact long jumps in a row with zero room for error is just blech. So often I'd either just jump in the air or ground pound, because there's no wiggle room in the button timing. If those blocks were just 2 squares or even 1-1/2 it would have been fine.

And the camera... Pick your poison: Take the high road, and likely have the camera wig out on you, which is what you really need when setting up the first jump on a time limit (the bullet bill is coming, duh). Or take the low road, you have time to spin the camera around and set up... but you just doubled your bullshit to 20! perfect jumps.

Bluetooth lag screwed me up too much on that one. Went to handheld and succeeded on first attempt.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nobeard wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »

I loved those. First real challenge in the game.

Relying on chaining slippery, yet unforgiving, long jumps over and over with exact timing is not my idea of awesome.

That specific moon:
    Yeah, I hated that. 10 hyper exact long jumps in a row with zero room for error is just blech. So often I'd either just jump in the air or ground pound, because there's no wiggle room in the button timing. If those blocks were just 2 squares or even 1-1/2 it would have been fine.

And the camera... Pick your poison: Take the high road, and likely have the camera wig out on you, which is what you really need when setting up the first jump on a time limit (the bullet bill is coming, duh). Or take the low road, you have time to spin the camera around and set up... but you just doubled your bullshit to 20! perfect jumps.

Bluetooth lag screwed me up too much on that one. Went to handheld and succeeded on first attempt.

Did it just fine in the dock after like 10 attempts or so. I'd say just stop sucking and you'll enjoy it more.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edit: just so I'm clear I'm totally kidding. You guys can not enjoy it if you want.

shadowane on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    A dog wearing a fedora showed up in the Odyssey a couple kingdoms back and I'm wondering what unlocks that.

Seriously, I love that little dog but when did it stow away on the Odyssey?

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    [Or take the low road, you have time to spin the camera around and set up... but you just doubled your bullshit to 20! perfect jumps.

Holy crap, twenty-factorial jumps?!

I understand giving us a challenge, but that'd take like 80 billion years.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Yo, any possibility of DLC levels?

Perhaps of the second mini-kingdom?

Because that kingdom needs the 100 Purp coin treatment.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yo, any possibility of DLC levels?

Perhaps of the second mini-kingdom?

Because that kingdom needs the 100 Purp coin treatment.

Delfino was prominently on the globe in a few ads so maybe

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'd love HD ports of Galaxy 1 and 2.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    The Honeylune Escape song?

Probably 2nd best Video Game Song of the Year for me.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The Honeylune Escape song?

Probably 2nd best Video Game Song of the Year for me.

OMG yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l336PRGCRvA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The whole arrangement in that song triggers all the eargasms.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It was a nice song, though I do think it was tonally out of place for where it suddenly showed up in the game.

Donnicton on
    I got to the :Harriet: :Rango: :Spewart: :Topper: Broodals' home turf, finally.

D: I assume this isn't the hardest part of the game yet.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It was a nice song, though I do think it was tonally out of place for where it suddenly showed up in the game.

Yeah it really made no sense and was odd to hear in a Mario game. Felt like something you would hear in a Sonic game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2017
    That's what I loved about it. It made what could have been a super serious moment into something fun and lighthearted (which actually is more fitting with Mario).

It's not really like Sonic, it's more like Katamari Damacy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvZeVpFSv4
    (for example)

Mblackwell on

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Thoughts that went through my head during the final sequence
    "Why am I playing an extended escape sequence in a Mario game?"

"Why the fuck did kpop just kick in during an extended escape sequence?"

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    500 moons!
    Alright, time to check out this Darker Side!
    Oh, this is nice, there's a party! I'll just go down this pipe...
    Oh no.
    Oh noooooo.
    This is World Crown all over again...

I've made it up to the lava thing, and consistently failed to make the jumps between the holes. How far through it am I? 20 percent? 10?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited November 2017
    Thoughts that went through my head during the final sequence
    "Why am I playing an extended escape sequence in a Mario game?"

"Why the fuck did kpop just kick in during an extended escape sequence?"
    I think you mean J-pop.

Mblackwell on

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I've passed 700 moons. I'm going through and getting all the remaining moons. While the post game has lots to do, many of the extra power moons are "needle in the haystack" type where you're just re-visiting to see where the extra power moons were added. I much prefer the ones where you enter a warp pipe and are presented with an entirely new challenge.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I've passed 700 moons. I'm going through and getting all the remaining moons. While the post game has lots to do, many of the extra power moons are "needle in the haystack" type where you're just re-visiting to see where the extra power moons were added. I much prefer the ones where you enter a warp pipe and are presented with an entirely new challenge.

I agree, the short challenge rooms are shiny spots in the game's design every time.

But i must admit, getting one of the obtuse moons through knowing the name and position? I love that.

EVEN the fucking Taxi moons.

I love the Hint Toad. I still get to explore and find moons but I don't have to dick around for hours to even track down the general vicinity. The entire game what I did was simple: Explore everywhere I could think of between doing main story objectives, then after I'd scoured everything I would complete the main mission, then I would max out hints and get all of the remaining gettable moons in an area. And now in the post-game I just use the hints to fill out the remaining few moons. The downside of course is losing out on coins. Still trying to figure out the best places to farm them.

i got all the easy moons.... I'm at 850 moons now and I have no choice but to do the harder ones. Challenge me, Mario-senpai.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    That invisible path over acid with the poison spitting plants and no cap can go straight back to hell.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    I got the jump rope one.
    I made it up to 97, then after I stopped swearing, I spent five minutes learning the other way to do it.
    so I got it 97% legitimately, and that's good enough for me.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    That invisible path over acid with the poison spitting plants and no cap can go straight back to hell.

how are you supposed to be able to kill the three giant piranha plants without cappy (on the dark side variant)? I got that far once, but couldn't figure it out. maybe jump on them from on top of the star cage?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

how are you supposed to be able to kill the three giant piranha plants without cappy (on the dark side variant)? I got that far once, but couldn't figure it out. maybe jump on them from on top of the star cage?

The ground pound boosted standing jump will get you high enough

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif

Here's what I did that made this easier for me.
    When you get to the spinning platform, take the invisible path to the left side of the room that leads to a small room with a chest containing a power moon. Go there every time you get this far and grab the power moon even if you've grabbed it before - it will refill your health to full. Then you've got full health to deal with the three giant piranha plants at the end. That way you can tank a couple hits up to that point.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Darker Side Attempt Log, day 2:
    Made it through the lava section. That actually wasn't too bad! Are there more Yoshi moons that I've missed? Because that's the first I've seen of him.
    Still, I've made it to the end of the lava section, that should be- oh. Okay, fog section it is.
    Made it to the spiky-flippy-bird thing, then screwed up a jump to a swinging wall pad. Maybe they'll show compassion and put me back at the pipe for this section? Haha, no.
    That's enough teeth-gnashing frustration for today.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Darker Side Attempt Log, day 2:
    Made it through the lava section. That actually wasn't too bad! Are there more Yoshi moons that I've missed? Because that's the first I've seen of him.
    Still, I've made it to the end of the lava section, that should be- oh. Okay, fog section it is.
    Made it to the spiky-flippy-bird thing, then screwed up a jump to a swinging wall pad. Maybe they'll show compassion and put me back at the pipe for this section? Haha, no.
    That's enough teeth-gnashing frustration for today.

For that part
    don't even bother trying to make it up the clustered part that swings over the lava, the last swinging panel right before that will reach just under the destination wall, so if you position yourself at the top of that pad and jump as high as possible at the peak of its right swing, you'll just barely make it and entirely skip the hard part.

867/880 moons

I think I'm pretty much at my limit of enjoyment & ability here.

Fuck 66% of the Dark Side Moons

Fruit challenges are okay.

The hatless challenges can fuck right off.
    As can those art challenges.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »

The ground pound boosted standing jump will get you high enough
    Jump on the stems after they attack.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    100%'d

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And I'm just sitting here almost 300 moons. I think I'm nearing the end soon since I only have one sail section left to fill.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

The hatless challenges were great.

I wish that most of the game was that difficult, I found it really fun and challenging, instead of just breezing through everything.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    And I'm just sitting here almost 300 moons. I think I'm nearing the end soon since I only have one sail section left to fill.

From one point of view, yes.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited November 2017

I wish that most of the game was that difficult, I found it really fun and challenging, instead of just breezing through everything.

yeah, I'm not arguing they aren't great challenges, but I've gotten to the point I'm just beating my head against most of them (the second section in vanishing road is my Achilles heel. I've gotten past it maybe 3 times. the bullet bill one? f that return trip. also f jump rope and f volleyball). going to put the game down for a while and come back to it another time maybe, and if not I'd rather keep my opinions of the game favorable and not clouded by my inability to finish it.

Naphtali on

I mean, the feeling I got at the end was great, and I agree, i was breezing through most of the game until I hit the Dark Side Moons... I just kinda wish the game had more challenging postgame moons. So many postgame moons are just "Hey, there's a moon lying on top of a pile of rubble 10 feet away from the odyssey. Congrats!"

More hatless challenges would've been nice.

ANYWAY, I'm only missing 3 Moons a 1 Multi-Moon now. Then it'll be a matter of grinding a bit of gold to get to 999 moons, which shouldn't be too hard.

Guess the 3 moons I'm missing and win a prize. Number 3 will shock you.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The wife was watching me play Odyssey and wanted to give it a try. I was at a part where it wouldn't let me leave, so I suggested starting a new file.

She got Mario stuck in a bouncing loop on a frog in the first area for 2 minutes straight laughing herself to tears. I foresee her not finishing the game at this rate, but having way more fun than normal.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife was watching me play Odyssey and wanted to give it a try. I was at a part where it wouldn't let me leave, so I suggested starting a new file.

She got Mario stuck in a bouncing loop on a frog in the first area for 2 minutes straight laughing herself to tears. I foresee her not finishing the game at this rate, but having way more fun than normal.

It's nice to see her enjoying a game without bringing pain and trauma to opposing players.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772