As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where can I learn about investing?

KleinKlein Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a reliable source to learn about investing. I know some general rules of thumb such as saving 15% towards retirement, but I am not clear on what things such as mutual funds are or if I should be paying someone to handle my investments. If anyone has good resources I would greatly appreciate them.

Edit: I currently cannot do any investing through my work, but will be able to in the future. I'm primarily looking for advice on outside of employment investing.

Klein on

• Options
    Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
    The Personal Finance Thread here has good information. If you want a book to read, I was given The Intelligent Investor by a financial planner family friend. I think the general advice would be to invest in a Roth IRA or other tax-advantaged retirement account, and to do it in a diversified way. There are a number of "robo-adviser" sites out there now that will manage your allocation across a set of mutual funds for very low fees; Wealthfront is one. In general, you want to minimize fees as much as possible - a 1% fee may not sound like much but over decades it is essentially the opposite of compound interest and will cost you a lot.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    As with anything, you will never beat matching from a 401k, even if it is a terrible choice, and after that tax advantages of 401k are just too good.

However if you are looking to personally diversify or are trying to day trade, the first thing you'll need is $10,000, the fees eat you up otherwise, and I recommend any investor or potential investor to find a free stock market simulator, and play with pretend money for 6 months.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    As with anything, you will never beat matching from a 401k, even if it is a terrible choice, and after that tax advantages of 401k are just too good.

However if you are looking to personally diversify or are trying to day trade, the first thing you'll need is $10,000, the fees eat you up otherwise, and I recommend any investor or potential investor to find a free stock market simulator, and play with pretend money for 6 months.

There is a free stock trading app called Robinhood that doesn't have any fees for the user for making trades.

• Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    Thank you everyone for the responses, I will definitely check out those threads. I am looking more into investing for retirement, I am not looking to get rich, but I would like to invest for my future.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

There is a free stock trading app called Robinhood that doesn't have any fees for the user for making trades.
    I didn't know about that app, that is sweet.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the responses, I will definitely check out those threads. I am looking more into investing for retirement, I am not looking to get rich, but I would like to invest for my future.

The /r/personalfinance wiki and threads have some stuff about that. The portion of their wiki for investing is https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/wiki/investing and is probably a good place to start.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Take all investing advice with a grain of salt.

If you are passively investing make sure to check in at least once or twice a year and re-balance.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

A pretty easy read for DIY retirement investing.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There's an app that I have, but haven't really used, called Stash Investing.
    It's less like day trading, and more long-term investing.

One reason I haven't used it because the companies that get the most returns are piles of geese dung, and the others either don't make money, or make money so slowly that you may as well just put the money into a savings account.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The good news is you're mainly interested in saving for retirement so it's fairly straight forward.

Quid on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Bitcoins are not an investment.

E: (the person who recommended this was deleted it looks like)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Yeah, bitcoins are a gamble. They get recommendations a lot on forums because people who own a lot of bitcoins need new investors to keep the bubble going. A lot of people have gambled and won on bitcoins, but the bubble will likely pop at some point unless they get mainstream acceptance (e.g. Amazon accepts them.) Even if they go up, it can be hard to cash them out in money that can be actually spent.

• Options
    Yup it's a speculative market, those do not make good investments for anyone without lots of free liquidity to burn through and those who don't care about it.

A good investment is a mutual fund.

A bad investment is putting all your money on 5 in roulette.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, bitcoins are a gamble. They get recommendations a lot on forums because people who own a lot of bitcoins need new investors to keep the bubble going. A lot of people have gambled and won on bitcoins, but the bubble will likely pop at some point unless they get mainstream acceptance (e.g. Amazon accepts them.) Even if they go up, it can be hard to cash them out in money that can be actually spent.

Gemini, CoinBase, GDAX, and CEX are just a few quality, legitimate exchanges for trading fiat currency to BTC or ETH and vice versa. Gemini is the first digital exchange licensed by the state of New York. CoinBase/GDAX/Gemini is federally insured for United States citizens. It is fast, easy, and cheap depending on the exchange you use. Please refrain from spreading FUD in regards to the cryptocurrency space. The fact you automatically conflate Bitcoin with a ponzi scheme demonstrates a concerning lack of knowledge in regards to digital currency and blockchain technology. It is attitudes like these push mainstream adoption of the technology further away.

@Klein I am not a financial adviser and nothing in this post should be construed as financial advice

What are your personal investment goals? Why do you want to invest? Think long and hard on the answers to these questions as they can greatly impact your strategy to reach said goals. You already know you need to be saving at least 10% of your annual income so that is a great start. As others have mentioned it is going to be hard to beat the match from your employer into your 401k. It is basically free money and there is no reason you should not do it.

To answer your question in the OP a mutual fund is basically a pool of investor's money that is used to invest in a variety of assets. A mutual fund can be good because of professional management, diversification, and the ability to create a diverse portfolio without investing individually into each company costing you a lot in fees. There are also a wide range of mutual funds featuring an even wider range of assets they invest in. Some funds are made up of assets that pay a fixed income which would be good if you were retired. Others like index funds are based on stocks you would find in the S&P500 or the Dow Jones Industrial. The downsides to most mutual funds are fluctuations in the fund's return to investors and fees. Fees are a double edged sword because you're paying for that level of professional management, but even in a bad year you pay those fees which can make the losses sting a bit more.

Doing research is an incredibly important part of investing. Even when you pay others to manage your money for you doing your own research is going to be necessary from time to time. Whatever you decide to invest in read the prospectus thoroughly. Take note of fees and whether an instrument is actively or passively managed. An instrument may do gangbusters but it may come at a steep price. Consider speaking to financial adviser even if it just to ask questions. Good luck!

Shogun on
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with FUD, investing in foreign currencies is dumb, regardless if it's digital or backed by some government entity. You're better off doing ones backed by government entities, if you do decide to do something like that, because theft can be fixed in those cases and you have the full backing of legal systems to help you fix issues outside of "I was dumb and invested my life savings in a currency."

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with FUD, investing in foreign currencies is dumb, regardless if it's digital or backed by some government entity. You're better off doing ones backed by government entities, if you do decide to do something like that, because theft can be fixed in those cases and you have the full backing of legal systems to help you fix issues outside of "I was dumb and invested my life savings in a currency."

Spreading misinformation, such that Bitcoin cannot be easily exchanged for fiat currency, is absolutely FUD and it is wrong. Regardless this is not a Bitcoin thread and the OP has not asked for advice about it. You have made your personal opinion on the matter obviously clear and I think we should probably steer the conversation back towards what the OP asked about.

@klein Something else occurred to me that is pretty basic but I didn't start doing it until a couple years ago. Do you do any sort of budgeting for your money? I was gifted YNAB4 on steam by a member of these very forums. Once I learned the program and the principles behind assigning all of your dollars jobs more and more of the pieces of personal finance fell into place for me. The bills are always paid, I always know if I have the money for something, and at the end of the year I get lots of details on just how I spent my money.

edit: super bummed to see YNAB was removed from Steam. And the newer YNAB5 moved to a subscription-based model which is even more of a bummer. My apologies. :x

Shogun on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah that was spam and Klein hasn't come back yet to weigh in since the bump. I don't think bitcoin is really on topic unless they come back and ask about it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    For the casual reader, I did two things to learn more about investing: 1) I started listening to personal finance podcasts, and 2) I started reading up on investments available to me (i.e. my 401k [gov employee, so TSP]).

It's better to hear from podcasts the real-world implications of investments than just reading the rote definitions. These are focused more on people who are older, but still have good info (note: I'm nearly 40)

1- Clark Howard
    2- Ric Edelman
    3- Stacking Benjamins

Listen to them a bit faster than normal speed. I recommend Clark Howard as a start since his episodes are only 30 mins or so, and do a decent job of addressing real life issues based on callers. He has an episode every day but it's not necessary to listen to all of them.

Finally, I highly recommend the Bogleheads link above. They tend to go really deep on subjects, but they are the best resource for getting a better understanding of how various investment instruments work.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Frontier Space ManFrontier Space Man Registered User regular
    If you simply want to invest money passively for the future and not think about it too much, there's not really a whole lot you need to know to be honest. You're basically just looking to put your money into a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds at low expense ratios and with the best tax advantages you can get.

Index funds, mutual funds, bond funds are all good for this. Index funds are great because they are not actively managed so your returns closely match the returns of the general stock market. Mutual funds are actively managed and may sometimes get higher returns but also end up with worse returns than the market in some years.

Get a Roth IRA, I wouldn't bother with a 401k unless your employer is going to match you. If your employer is matching you, then you might as well get the 401k as your salary is priced on the assumption you will take full advantage of the employer match benefit. If you don't take it you're leaving money on the table.

The number one book I'd recommend for a new investor is not The Intelligent Investor but rather A Random Walk Down Wall Street. I have read both.

The best management company is Vanguard. They have the lowest expense ratios in the industry and fund managers have a personal stake in the mutual funds they manage. When you get to admiral shares level funds your expense ratios get even lower.

My average returns with Vanguard over the past several years has been about 7.8%. I have several funds that have returned higher than that and some much lower. VFIAX is a good index fund, it has gained me 11% in the past few years I've had it.

I've given strong opinions in this post and made no effort to be unbiased. The above is what I have done and it has worked well for me.

Good luck with whatever you do.