As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Well, sure, but i can see how being 30+ thousand year old could make it hard to relate to people you've known just a few years/decades/centuries.

That said, i suspect chaos gods would have found another way.

There's a short story called the last church where the emperor debates with the last religious leader on earth. The priest argued that the emperor was too smart for his own good and was unable to relate to normal folk

Karl on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    "I hope in the name of all that is holy you are right,’ said Uriah, ‘but I dread the future you are forging for humanity.’ ‘I wish only the best for my people,’ promised the Emperor. ‘I think you do, but I will not be a part of it,’ said Uriah, casting off the Emperor’s cloak and walking back towards his church with his head held high."

Said church is on fire.

Full passage.
    The Emperor put a long cloak about Uriah’s shoulders as a group of armoured warriors stepped towards the church with flame lances raised. Uriah wanted to protest, to speak out against what they were about to do, but the words died in his throat as he realised they would have no effect.

Tears streamed down his face along with the rain as torrents of flame erupted from the warriors’ weapons and licked over the roof and walls of the church. Other warriors fired grenades that smashed through the stained-glass windows of the church and percussive booms thudded from inside as the hungry flames took hold of the roof.

Thick smoke billowed from the windows, the rain doing nothing to dampen the destructive ambition of the flames, and Uriah wept to think of the wondrous fresco and the thousands of years of history that was being destroyed. He turned to look up at the Emperor, the warrior’s face lit by the fires of destruction.
    ‘How can you do this?’ demanded Uriah. ‘You say you stand for reason and the advancement of understanding, but here you are destroying a repository of knowledge!’
    The Emperor looked down at him and said, ‘Some things are best left forgotten.’
    ‘Then I hope you have foreseen the consequences of a world bereft of religion.’

‘I have,’ replied the Emperor.‘It is my dream. An Imperium of Man that exists without recourse to gods and the supernatural. A united galaxy with Terra at its heart.’
    ‘A united galaxy?’ said Uriah, averting his gaze from his blazing church as he finally grasped the scale of the Emperor’s ambition.
    ‘Indeed. Now that Unity has been achieved on Terra, it is time to reclaim humanity’s lost empire among the stars.’
    ‘With you at its head, I presume?’ said Uriah.
    ‘Of course. Nothing of such grand scale can be achieved without a singular vision at its heart, least of all the reconquest of the galaxy.’

‘You are a madman,’ said Uriah. ‘And you are arrogant if you believe you can subjugate the stars with warriors such as these. They are powerful to be sure, but even they are not capable of such a thing.’
    ‘You are right,’ agreed the Emperor. ‘I will not conquer the galaxy with these men, for they are but men. These are the precursors to the warriors I am forging in my gene-labs, warriors with the strength and power and vision to bestride the battlefields of the stars and bring them to compliance. These warriors shall be my generals and they will lead my great crusade to the furthest corners of the galaxy.’
    ‘Didn’t you just tell me of the bloody slaughters perpetrated by crusaders?’ said Uriah. ‘Doesn’t that make you no better than the holy men you were telling me about?’

‘The difference is I know I am right,’ said the Emperor.
    ‘Spoken like a true autocrat.’ The Emperor shook his head.
    ‘You misunderstand, Uriah. I have seen the narrow survival path that is all that stands between humanity and extinction, and this is the way it must begin.’

Uriah looked back at the church, the gleeful flames reaching high into the darkness. ‘It is a dangerous road you travel,’ said Uriah. ‘To deny humanity a thing will only make them crave it all the more. And if you succeed in this grand vision of yours? What then? Beware that your subjects do not begin to see you as a god.’

Uriah looked into the Emperor’s face as he spoke, now seeing past the glamours and the magnificence to the heart of an individual who had lived a thousand lives and walked the Earth for longer than could be imagined. He saw the ruthless ambition and the molten core of violence at the Emperor’s heart. In that instant, Uriah knew he wanted nothing to do with anything this man had to offer, no matter how noble or lofty his ambitions might be.

‘I hope in the name of all that is holy you are right,’ said Uriah, ‘but I dread the future you are forging for humanity.’
    ‘I wish only the best for my people,’ promised the Emperor.
    ‘I think you do, but I will not be a part of it,’ said Uriah, casting off the Emperor’s cloak and walking back towards his church with his head held high. The rain beat down on him, but he welcomed it as a baptismal.

He heard footsteps approaching him, but he heard the Emperor say, ‘No. Leave him.’ The outer doors of the church stood open and Uriah walked into the narthex, feeling the heat of the flames as they billowed around him. The statues were on fire and the doors to the nave were gone, blown off their hinges by the blasts of grenades.

Uriah marched into the blazing heat of the church, seeing a wall of flame devouring the pews and silken hangings with insatiable hunger. Smoke filled the air and the fresco above him was almost obscured by the roiling blackness.

He looked at the clock face on the altar and smiled as the flames closed in around him.
    The warriors remained outside the church until it collapsed, the roof timbers crashing down into the building in a tremendous flurry of flying sparks and wreckage. They stayed until the first rays of sunlight crested the mountains and the rain finally extinguished the last of the flames.

The ruins of the last church on Terra smouldered in the chill morning air as the Emperor turned away and said, ‘Come, we have a galaxy to conquer.’

As the Emperor and his warriors marched down the hillside, the only sound to be heard was the soft chiming of an old and broken clock.

manwiththemachinegun on
    The imperial truth was a fucking terrible idea and the emperor is the smartest idiot to ever exist.

Just warn the primarchs about the dangers of the warp.

Especially Magnus

Magnus first

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The Emperor should have realized, had he actually researched religion in all of his years, that his relationship with his Primarch sons is a direct analogue to the apocryphal tales of the Judeo-Christian God and His angels. Some of them also rebelled, in some stories because they were not let in on the plan for Humanity and saw flaws in the logic of their incomplete picture.

Others just hated that these mewling, inferior monkey-men were to be served instead of enslaved.

Either way, if the White God had just explained Himself to His first childen (whom He seemed to treat less as children and more as functionaries), maybe The Fall would not have happened.

Unless, having perfect foresight, He knew about The Fall and intended for it to happen for some arcane reason. Which just gets back to The EmperorGod being kinda an ends-justifies-means dick. Which...well actually that is the most Warhammer 40K thing ever, now that I mention it.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I’d love to see the relationship between the Primaris and vanilla Marines explored. I can’t imagine every chapter is gonna be thrilled with these new guys slowly replacing them.

The dark angels are not impressed as it means their secret heresy might come out.

I'd heard that someone, in the Inquisition I think? Revealed in a novel or story that they knew about the Fallen, had known a long time, and were more upset/disappointed by the huge lengths the Dark Angels had gone to cover it up than the fact that some of their number defected to Chaos (as that kind of thing happens more often than most Chapters would like to admit)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I love the fluff for Fantasy but find 40k totally impenetrable.

40K is honestly much harder to follow. There's so much shit going on in so many worlds across a huge spans of time with a lot of information being questionable because there's a lot of unreliable narrators. I like the setting well enough and there's a lot of neat room to explore when I run the tabletop RPGs, but I would have trouble telling you about any particular characters I care about outside of like... Eisenhorn or Cain who are completely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    The Dawn of War cast is great, and is what got me into the setting. So is Titus from Space Marine, voiced by Mark Strong.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

40K is honestly much harder to follow. There's so much shit going on in so many worlds across a huge spans of time with a lot of information being questionable because there's a lot of unreliable narrators. I like the setting well enough and there's a lot of neat room to explore when I run the tabletop RPGs, but I would have trouble telling you about any particular characters I care about outside of like... Eisenhorn or Cain who are completely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Really I would not recommend looking up the lore of 40k on youtube as you run into a lot silly geese

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Really I would not recommend looking up the lore of 40k on youtube as you run into a lot silly geese
    Youtube is a horrible place for lot of things, WH40k is not an exception.
    It's lot like gaming channels really, some ok, most boring, and some really loud and stupid about anyone daring to criticize their beloved hobby in anyway.

Tactica Imperialis and 40k Theories are pretty ok i think.

Used to watch Arch Warmhammer, but quit after he started talking politics and railing about SJW's trying to destroy the hobby.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Vaults of terra channel?

edited November 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »

Youtube is a horrible place for lot of things, WH40k is not an exception.
    It's lot like gaming channels really, some ok, most boring, and some really loud and stupid about anyone daring to criticize their beloved hobby in anyway.

Tactica Imperialis and 40k Theories are pretty ok i think.

Used to watch Arch Warmhammer, but quit after he started talking politics and railing about SJW's trying to destroy the hobby.

It's sad a lot of people got really asshat and silly goose territory lately with 40k

Brainleech on
    I don't think we need to give these guys any more credit than they're due.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yeah let's not directly link to things that those shitlords produce.

But as a different thing to talk about
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/25/all-the-latest-from-the-warhammer-40000-open-day-nov-25gw-homepage-post-1/
    I am kind of upset that they are pushing smaller supplements for their other games still. I find it odd Forge world did the scum.

I do like the idea of player campaigns changing the lore, but apparently GW still has "preferred" outcomes which is kinda stupid.

They can't change the status quo too much

Bringing back the primarchs was a big move

The Dawn of War cast is great, and is what got me into the setting. So is Titus from Space Marine, voiced by Mark Strong.

Oh yeah, but they really don't get any mention or anything outside of the games they're present in, which is part of the reason the scope sometimes makes 40K harder to penetrate. Instead we get emphasis on dudes like Rabooty or Abaddon, who I can't really seem to care about. Where as the world is small enough in Fantasy that popular characters like Thanquol get a lot of spotlight. It was less that there aren't characters to care about in 40K, and more that the scope tends to mean they don't get much spotlight compared to the Primarchs and shit.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    How about a fun Warhammer 40k video?

https://youtu.be/uNLMW-B7fus

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    There's some nice new box sets being released.

The Tau one contains:

An XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit, accompanied by 2 MV5 stealth drone field projectors;
    - 6 XV25 Stealth Battlesuits, accompanied by 2 Markerlight drones;
    - An XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Team, comprising 3 Battlesuits (1 of which can be assembled as the experimental XV8-02) and 6 drones;
    - A Commander, who can be built piloting either the XV85 Enforcer Armour Crisis Battlesuit or the XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit variant, with an included drone.

This is £100 which by my reckoning is about a £50 saving.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I think WH40k's strength is that the immense size of the setting allows any story to be told.

I think WH40k's strength is that the immense size of the setting allows any story to be told.

This is one of the reasons I find Rogue Trader to be an excellent RPG, since you can stumble into all sorts of crazy situations and shenanigans and then you have to figure out how you can best make this situation most profitable. Whether you stumble onto a death cult on a pleasure world or a full on warzone on a primitive death world, you need to figure out how you can best make bank off this.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Yeah, I want to write a YA novel about a young person on some planet becoming a tech-adept and learning about some conspiracy to control the populace, and how they fight it, and fail/come to accept it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Basically assume there's always going to be at least one planet that suits your needs.

Mad Max wasteland? Too many to count.

Jane Austen social shenanigans in space? Gudrun's got you covered.

Leading a warband over the surface of a planet that's actually a giant, morbidly obese man? Dare you enter my magical realm in the Eye of Terror?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Is Guiliman directing the mechanicus to do, you know, actual research now?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    And planets are regularly isolated by warp storms or even forgotten by the Imperial bureaucracy. The Imperium is incredibly diverse in the kinds of worlds, with planets ranging from feudal to raygun gothic, to regular gothic to post scarcity societies. The Space Marines are (or were meant to be) the exception to the rule of variety and disorganization. But even space marines don't stick to the codex. I kinda miss the Imperial guard having different uniforms depending on the planet. But it's definitely more convenient for players to just have the Cadian Guard armour be the default galaxywide.

Gvzbgul on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    And planets are regularly isolated by warp storms or even forgotten by the Imperial bureaucracy. The Imperium is incredibly diverse in the kinds of worlds, with planets ranging from feudal to raygun gothic, to regular gothic to post scarcity societies. The Space Marines are (or were meant to be) the exception to the rules variety and disorganization. But even space marines don't stick to the codex. I kinda miss the Imperial guard having different uniforms depending on the planet. But it's definitely more convenient for players to just have the Cadian Guard armour be the default galaxywide.

I do really really love Victoria Miniature's and forge world's different regiments for that exact reason, even if they are still expensive as hell.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    And planets are regularly isolated by warp storms or even forgotten by the Imperial bureaucracy. The Imperium is incredibly diverse in the kinds of worlds, with planets ranging from feudal to raygun gothic, to regular gothic to post scarcity societies. The Space Marines are (or were meant to be) the exception to the rule of variety and disorganization. But even space marines don't stick to the codex. I kinda miss the Imperial guard having different uniforms depending on the planet. But it's definitely more convenient for players to just have the Cadian Guard armour be the default galaxywide.

Isn't that still the case?

*checks GW online store*

Yeah, the Valhallans and the Catachans and the Vostroyans all have different uniforms.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I miss imperial guard being called Imperial Guard.

I'm not a huge fan of the pig latin stuff personally.

edited November 2017
    It has always been the case (at least in the fluff) and still is. But cadians have the most model support (and are cheaper) so they're the default.

There's a definite disconnect between the game and the fluff that can give some wrong impressions. When I was first introduced to the fame I thought that Space Marines were the grunts because everyone played them and that the Imperial Guard were the elite forces because they were rarer and they guarded the Emperor.

Gvzbgul on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I heard they are bringing back Sly Marbo.

My favorite dumb character.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I heard they are bringing back Sly Marbo.

My favorite dumb character.

And he brought Audrey II and Snake Plissken's gun.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I think it’s a barking toad, aka the most deadly creature on Catachan.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    I like that one unit in the Guant books who had really shiny fancy armor and were all "blah blah were noble elite guard" and got wrecked because they didn't have any combat experience and thought fighting chaos was a gentlemen's war.

Mordian_Iron_Guard_trooper.jpg
    Whereas the Mordian Iron Guard are both stylish and badass.

There was British Army style Imperial Guard too. Pith helmets and everything.
    SAM_0262.JPG

Unfortunately, it's expensive to make an army out of metal models. There's been a few people who convert their own Praetorian Guard and sculpt pith helmets onto regular Cadian Guard.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Two words: Victoria Miniatures.

Almost bought a pair of blisters of the praetorians at PAX.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited November 2017
    Weaver wrote: »
    I like that one unit in the Guant books who had really shiny fancy armor and were all "blah blah were noble elite guard" and got wrecked because they didn't have any combat experience and thought fighting chaos was a gentlemen's war.

That was the Jantine Patricians. The Bluebloods are the flip side of that coin in that they're arrogant, aristocratic, heavy assault trooops, but actually end up being devoted allies to the Ghosts.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Victoria miniatures is very good, but it still ain't exactly a low cost alternative to games workshop minis.

Feels roughly on par.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

That was the Jantine Patricians. The Bluebloods are the flip side of that coin in that they're arrogant, aristocratic, heavy assault trooops, but actually end up being devoted allies to the Ghosts.

I really need to read more of the Guant novels.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    And speaking of Imperial Guard...

WZNzCMj.jpg

Not finished. Never finished. But this is mostly Valhallans, with a few Praetorians, Mordians, the old beret storm troopers and a squad of Necromunda and RT models for a penal squad.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.