As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Seems strange to do a clan then break for other thing, then go back. We are going to have some big gaps!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's some suspect stuff. But also the release schedule for this game is already ridonculous, so it's probably true. <_<
    Like, I don't even want the Phoenix deluxe box first as someone 100% invested in the faction ... The game needs to be more robust at the baseline, and adding even more factions to further dilute the pack distribution sounds terrible.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    If they do faction boxes the way they've been doing it for GoT it'll be 50% primary faction 50% the rest and neutrals. Still pretty unbalancing, but better.

This is still a pretty fucking terrible way to do it for the love of god just do all boxes as themed around some story event with equal clan split. The thought of waiting a million years for the stupid clan box is so fucking grating.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That theory doesn't account for a multiplayer box of some sort either.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Wait, so I get Kachiko and
    the return of the Mantis?

It's like they're aiming directly at me so I don't drop.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

New fiction up.
    The Continued Adventures of Taka and Yoritomo. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

A multiplayer box would likely be outside the cycle/deluxe release schedule.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

A multiplayer box would likely be outside the cycle/deluxe release schedule.

Wasn't for Star Wars LCG, just saying. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So here's my idea for a Crane Control deck:

Deck Clan: Crane

Total Cards: (85)

Total Conflict: (40) Total Dynasty: (40)

Total Influence: (12/13)

Stronghold:
    1x Shizuka Toshi (Core Set #2)

Role:
    1x Keeper of Air (Core Set #214A)

Province: (5)
    Air (1/1) Earth (1/1) Fire (1/1) Void (1/1) Water (1/1)
    1x Manicured Garden (Core Set #19)
    1x Meditations on the Tao (Core Set #20)
    1x Rally to the Cause (Core Set #23)
    1x Shameful Display (Core Set #24)
    1x Entrenched Position (Core Set #17)

Character [Dynasty]: (37)
    3x Kakita Yoshi (Into the Forbidden City #43)
    3x Keeper Initiate (Core Set #124)
    3x Kakita Asami (Core Set #48)
    3x Guest of Honor (Core Set #51)
    3x Daidoji Nerishma (Core Set #46)
    3x Brash Samurai (Core Set #42)
    3x Asahina Storyteller (Core Set #50)
    3x Doji Whisperer (Core Set #41)
    3x Savvy Politician (Core Set #45)
    2x Doji Representative (Tears of Amaterasu #5)
    3x Doji Hotaru (Core Set #52)
    3x Asahina Artisan (Core Set #40)

Holding: (5)
    2x Artisan Academy (Core Set #53)
    3x Imperial Storehouse (Core Set #129)

Character [Conflict]: (2/10)
    2x Steward of Law (Core Set #139)

Attachment: (2)
    2x Tattered Missive (Into the Forbidden City #59)

Event: (36)
    3x Censure (Into the Forbidden City #60)
    3x Noble Sacrifice (Core Set #148)
    3x Way of the Crane (Core Set #146)
    3x Voice of Honor (Core Set #145)
    3x Disdainful Remark (Tears of Amaterasu #13)
    3x Mirumoto’s Fury (Core Set #159)
    3x Let Go (Core Set #155)
    3x Policy Debate (For Honor and Glory #40)
    3x Spies at Court (Core Set #209)
    3x For Shame! (Core Set #207)
    2x Outwit (Core Set #212)
    3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
    1x Banzai! (Core Set #204)

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Crane are Seeker of Air right now though, right?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have started to get my store into this game and I am (mildly) obsessed with it. I oddly really enjoy the Crane starter deck immensely. I might build a political fuckery deck with them.

Now to find out how to participate in my own stores events, because I really want to play this competitively.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Crane are Seeker of Air right now though, right?

You are correct.

The role select thing is a stupid idea.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I actually like that it's a way to shake up the metagame without B&R or releasing new cards. After a couple cycles come out you could just shift a Seeker to a Keeper and change all their options.

I actually like that it's a way to shake up the metagame without B&R or releasing new cards. After a couple cycles come out you could just shift a Seeker to a Keeper and change all their options.

If it didn't change once a year this might be some kind of argument.

edited November 2017

Uhhh. You can make counterpoints and not just dismiss my argument.

A year feels long. I might go for every six months but any faster than that would be too much disruption.

admanb on

Uhhh. You can make counterpoints and not just dismiss my argument.

A year feels long. I might go for every six months but any faster than that would be too much disruption.

New sets come out faster than the roles change. Three months would be a decent season length, probably.

The fact that we already have a card that literally is not legal to play competitively is absurd.

I wouldn't like three months. That's basically long enough to get comfortable with a deck, and then it changes. It's not about being faster or slower than card releases; it's just having another element that can shift up the meta.

I am only new to this, but what's this about roles and illegal cards?

You only need to care if you play competitively, for starters. But basically the competitive scene focuses around the idea that once a year each clan will have to choose a new role - keeper or seeker of [Element] - which then ALL players who play that faction must use when playing at tournaments. Then there are cards which you can only include in your deck if you are using a keeper role, or a seeker role. You can't run what your faction isn't, so one of the printed cards hasn't been legal in any of its faction decks because of the roles it has had.

I will have to care as I will be doing the competitive events for my store :)

That is really interesting.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think the roles are a cool idea, but I think their implementation is not great. I agree with HamHam that having several literally useless cards out of a new pack is frustrating. Especially when I'm only getting one or two new card options for my deck at a time.

What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2017
    The literally illegal cards is a little nuts, but it would bother me more if we weren't getting the accelerated release schedule.

I guess after going through Netrunner, Conquest, and GoT releases I have a hard time looking at this one and being upset by much. It is by far the best.

admanb on
    I dunno. Take it with a grain of salt because my experience with the game is limited, but it feels like they're so INCREDIBLY afraid of things going sideways in this game that there's just too many restrictions on the player.
    Like, Netrunner tried - and for a while it did okay - with the influence system as it was, but it wound up being a bit too open ended and a bit too poorly balanced. But aside from a couple of fringe cards, that was about the only real restriction you had, and since you HAD to play a runner and a corp deck you at least had access to every card in a pack. In practice there were a few too many bad cards for how open things were, but in the beginning at least it was a great system since it gave you a lot of options rapidly.
    LotFR has you set into one faction with one dip in one of your two decks, and cards are additionally gated with keeper or seeker. They HAVE to do this compeltely boneheaded hyper-release because otherwise the card pool is minuscule and barring cards that flip the meta on its head, you get maybe 3 or 4 cards a pack you can even CONSIDER playing, let alone whether they're actually useful. Guys, it's just a bad system for how this game works. It can't fathom it'll kill the game, but it certainly isn't great for keeping things healthy. They cannot possibly expect to continue the expedited release schedule (that's way too expensive), but if they also start further diluting packs then the meta will slow to a crawl.

edited November 2017
    There's only one illegal card so far -Northern Wall Sensei. Every other card can be used by someone. And given that they threw a keeper and a seeker card for each clan into the first expansion, they obviously expected there to be unusable cards. I don't know if the playtesters did playtesting on the roles heavily, but I would hope so.

Plus, this is only applicable for tourney play in official FFG tourneys. Casual play you can do what you want, and I fully expect there to be alternate formats at some point.

Athenor on
    There's only one illegal card so far -Northern Wall Sensei. Every other card can be used by someone. And given that they threw a keeper and a seeker card for each clan into the first expansion, they obviously expected there to be unusable cards. I don't know if the playtesters did playtesting on the roles heavily, but I would hope so.

Plus, this is only applicable for tourney play in official FFG tourneys. Casual play you can do what you want, and I fully expect there to be alternate formats at some point.

Competitive usually drives things even in more casual circles. Like, one store near me basically just has a weekly tournament right now afaik. Others have more casual nights luckily. The podcast set reviews I have listened to basically all said "Can't be played currently." with maybe an after thought for casual if that. Plus not being able to play the deck you play normally in tournaments, of any size, is a barrier to entry.

edited November 2017
    I don't know if I'm ever going to play non-competitive formats. Most of the time I'm playing a mini tournament anyway, and if I'm not playing at that I'm probably still playing competitive format since that's what I'm going to see at tournament. There's like three tournaments a week I can drive to, and no "casual nights" that I know of.

Darkewolfe on

Competitive usually drives things even in more casual circles. Like, one store near me basically just has a weekly tournament right now afaik. Others have more casual nights luckily. The podcast set reviews I have listened to basically all said "Can't be played currently." with maybe an after thought for casual if that. Plus not being able to play the deck you play normally in tournaments, of any size, is a barrier to entry.

This. People will just want to have their one deck because why would you want to have to maintain several if you can really only play one, and you might as well make it the best one you can.
    They're going to have to intervene at some point and cultivate their own secondary scene to incentivize players to use other roles. Like, multi-week league events that reward people based on their chosen roles instead of clans or something. Then again, that's not exactly themeatic to the game which is 95% of what LotFR even is, so maybe that can't pan out as-is. *shrug*
    Basically what was said above about it only changing annually is correct. If that's how slow the pivot is going to be, then there should be some other thing to break people away from "just competitive".

I think the length of time is designed so that you can't know all the cards that are coming out in advance. Further, everyone will end up having a second role so I'd be surprised if most clans didn't have access to a keeper and a seeker role by the time worlds comes around.

Well, I'd *hope* that second role would be around by Worlds, seeing as how the bonus role is just for Worlds. (And the OP event before Worlds.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also, it's just an interesting deck building decision that has been taken away from the vast majority of players.

PMAvers wrote: »
    Well, I'd *hope* that second role would be around by Worlds, seeing as how the bonus role is just for Worlds. (And the OP event before Worlds.)

I think a lot of places would be amenable to either role at their local tournament.

ChaosHat wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

I think a lot of places would be amenable to either role at their local tournament.

My store will be.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I'll be snagging this when I've got the money to do so in the next few months. My only trouble is trying to decide if I should go for Dragon, Scorpion, or Scorpion/Dragon Splash.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    persona4celestia.jpg
    When you gain the imperial favour out of its normal phase, can you change it, or do you have to take it as-was from your opponent?

When you gain the imperial favour out of its normal phase, can you change it, or do you have to take it as-was from your opponent?

From the Rules Reference:
    If a card ability causes the Imperial Favor to be claimed, it
    may be claimed from its unclaimed status, or claimed from
    a player. Each time the Imperial Favor is claimed, it may be
    set to either side.

If I remember correctly, when you take it you can set it to whatever side you want.
    If a card ability causes the Imperial Favor to be claimed, it may be claimed from its unclaimed status, or claimed from a player. Each time the Imperial Favor is claimed, it may be set to either side.

persona4celestia.jpg
    which means you can swap the claim if you claim it outside of the end of the conflict resolution, even if you already own it.

I haven't even looked at set 3 spoilers yet. Sets 1 and 2 had no impact on my dragon deck. Anything exciting in 3 or 4?