As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miss Universe National Costumes: The Cosplay of Nations 2017 (NSF56K)

12346»

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Just finished watching Star Trek discover and I feel like we need a mrs Klingon, their armour and costumes are badass

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Just finished watching Star Trek discover and I feel like we need a mrs Klingon, their armour and costumes are badass

My dream is that one day the national costumes pageant will go full on cosplay, with Japan dressing as Sailor Moon and the USA, perhaps, dressing as a Klingon or a Star Wars character. Some day.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I woke up forgetting about this, then it all came rushing back.

those fucking rhymes man. fuck.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This thread is useless without pics.

@valhalla130 I'm adding pictures to my previous posts as I find them online.

I did not mean that as any commentary on you or the thread. It just seemed appropriate.

You're doing the thread god's work here.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You don't even know how much I needed this today.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    USA is a lot more demure than in previous years.

But I'm a fan of how clean it looks.

Well remember a few years ago it was brassy patriotism with a pair of legs!
    lxdeghpqvybo.png

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm starting to feel like only Canada knows how to do the proper amount of crazy this contest calls for anymore.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Here is our fellowship BTW

hwNul83.png
    NJKUJFP.png
    uocHtrT.png

And I'm going to say Peru is the Gandalf since she has a staff of sorts.

TQcCluK.png

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I firmly believe Canada is the most reliable provider of crazy when and where it's most required. The rest of the world is just too random!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Did I read your right that NZ's costume transformed?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I tried to find a gif or video but I haven't had any luck yet. It was so-so. A fine dress, but not crazy.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Japan's costume had the best transformation, I think. New Zealand's was probably second best. Aruba and Brazil transformed as well. Oh, and Ecuador's didn't transform exactly, but she had this multi-leveled skirt and she'd pick up different levels and dance them around.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Nice.

Well done.

Not over the top, but lovely.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Did someone staple packing paper to drywall? Isn't this kind of a big deal? The production values on the costumes are great, but they're surrounded by chintz. Like the stupid rhyming intros.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Did someone staple packing paper to drywall? Isn't this kind of a big deal? The production values on the costumes are great, but they're surrounded by chintz. Like the stupid rhyming intros.

That was the preview/warmup @ the planet Hollywood in Las Vegas

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oh man, this made my workday.
    Sequined food utensils is new, Malaysia, I'll give you that. It's also a very pretty interpretation of a dish of rice.

SLmootb.jpg

Girl's dressed as nasi lemak yo and I love it:

6xeov6dl.jpg

Also you have all learned a new fun fact, which is that in Malaysia and Thailand you eat with a spoon and a fork, because fuck knives and chopsticks I guess. Do they explain this during the show or do they just do rhymes?

Also also, Singapore's costume is supposed to be one of the supertrees...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    6ruGitE.png
    "I am rice"

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Oh man, this made my workday.
    Sequined food utensils is new, Malaysia, I'll give you that. It's also a very pretty interpretation of a dish of rice.

SLmootb.jpg

Girl's dressed as nasi lemak yo and I love it:

6xeov6dl.jpg

Also you have all learned a new fun fact, which is that in Malaysia and Thailand you eat with a spoon and a fork, because fuck knives and chopsticks I guess. Do they explain this during the show or do they just do rhymes?

Also also, Singapore's costume is supposed to be one of the supertrees...

They didn't explain the utensils, just that this rice dish was a deal in Malaysia, and that it is served on banana leaves, thus the leaves on the back of Malaysia's costume.

They did explain that Singapore was a Super tree, but I wasn't sure if that was hyperbole from the hosts or the tree's actual name.

Edit: Wait, it wasn't Singapore that was the super tree, it was Costa Rica. Singapore was a garden with LED lights, because garden equals LED?!

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Also I hope next year Miss America is from Texas and goes as brisket or pulled pork or something. WE HAVE CULTURAL FOODS TOO, WORLD, AND NOT JUST MCDONALDS.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    No I mean, I looked up her dress and it's the supertrees at Gardens by the Bay:

JFNhtjIl.jpg

Vpc2Pd9l.jpg

And then at night they glow

bLBZLr5l.jpg

Not saying it's well-executed...

E: Gardens by the Bay totally rules though, by the way

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The costume contest is where cosplay, high fashion and nationalism come together in a glorious car wreck

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm Jrpg boss or Miss universe contestant..
    zxpvy8b7w13n.png
    uffrd4hnvztd.png

WoW player decked out in latest full raid gear

shoulders not big enough.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Nah, that's SWTOR raid gear. Not enough tit window and hot pants for WoW.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Miss Universe Canada one is extra wild to me because it's the first time I've been at all familiar with the contestant outside of the context of the crazy costumes and I'm like "Yup, that's the former in-arena host for the Toronto Maple Leafs... dressed up as a shimmering LED snowflake"

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm Jrpg boss or Miss universe contestant..
    zxpvy8b7w13n.png
    uffrd4hnvztd.png

WoW player decked out in latest full raid gear

shoulders not big enough.

xa27uddt3oxm.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Someone put together an imgur gallery with all of the costumes

https://imgur.com/gallery/zq3sV

somehow I'd missed that Romania had dressed up as a Dracula which is kind of predictable but I dig it

• Options
    edited November 2017