As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Shaxx Me Outside How Bou Dah

19596979899101»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    If Bungie had been honest about this whole XP thing from the beginning, there definitely would've been complaints but people would've just accepted it eventually.

This massive reaction is purely down to Bungie being, arguably, deliberately deceptive about the whole thing. They only commented on it after pcgamer published an article about it, not at all during the week or so prior where the subreddit had already figured out something was wrong.
    They were obviously reviewing the system as a whole (hence the actual change rather than just fixing the displayed values) so any comment they made prior to that decision would have just been a placeholder saying they're reviewing things.

Expecting them (especially during Thanksgiving) to respond to this sort of stuff within days is a bit much, I think.

People were raising it as an issue well before thanksgiving (during the Clarion Call the prior weekend). It was only when pcgamer put up an article the day after thanksgiving that Bungie commented. Thanksgiving as an excuse is completely irrelevant here.

the day after thanksgiving is one business day ago

assuming it is a business day at all, which it often is not if you're not retail or food service

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Surfpossum no one is disagreeing with you that it’s possible that the display discrepancy is a big. People are just saying that because BARz BARZ BARZ dinging your endorphins regularly is undoubtedly (and confirmed by bungie) one of the most refined and polished parts of the game it seems unlikely that it is a bug.

It’s important for the player experience that completing a public event feels rewarding, so bungie has a huge incentive to make the gain appear to not be a piddly slice on your exp bar.

It’s also important for monetization that bungie tightly controls the rate it which the most obsessive players get bright engrams.

It’s very suspicious, wouldn’t you say, that the old implementation perfectly satisfies both these goals?

HMMMMM
    But it literally did show a piddly slice on the XP bar. That's the whole reason anybody noticed!
    Arteen wrote: »
    Arguing whether Bungie was deliberately deceitful or "just" lazy, incompetent and accidentally lied is entirely tangential to the issue.

They still lied!
    You... you can't accidentally lie. That's not what lying is!

I think I'm going to agree that Bungie lied and hid

the XP buff that decayed after doing Public Events.

ah yes, the xp buff that eventually decayed so that players were only earning the original intended amount of exp: 5% of the exp shown on the bar.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    If anything can get us to break the 100 page taboo, it's Bungie fucking up in every possible direction. Well done gents, well done.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I disagree that the XP is tuned to incentivize purchases. You're putting the cart before the horse if you're using the throttling system as evidence. Since players did not know about the throttling, how could they be incentivized to buy XP buffs to counteract it? The only thing up to now that'd incentivize a purchase is how long it takes to level up, especially after your weekly 3x buff is gone. I'd argue that the type of person who'd buy a box before this reveal would still do so afterwards because the time taken to level is all that mattered to them and by all indications Bungie is going to adjust the max XP so the time-per-level remains the same.

people are talking about the xp being tuned to incentivize purchases of silver for bright engrams, by making it take a long time to earn them otherwise after getting your initial few, not for purchases of xp boosters which are promotional and largely don't benefit bungie's bottom line directly

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I disagree that the XP is tuned to incentivize purchases. You're putting the cart before the horse if you're using the throttling system as evidence. Since players did not know about the throttling, how could they be incentivized to buy XP buffs to counteract it? The only thing up to now that'd incentivize a purchase is how long it takes to level up, especially after your weekly 3x buff is gone. I'd argue that the type of person who'd buy a box before this reveal would still do so afterwards because the time taken to level is all that mattered to them and by all indications Bungie is going to adjust the max XP so the time-per-level remains the same.

Nope, the cart is firmly being pulled by the horse here. You don't need to know the throttling is going on because the point isn't for the player to go "I'm being throttled on XP, better buy lootboxes", it's for the player to level up slower, thereby making bright engrams more rare, thus encouraging them to buy the bright engrams with money because it's harder to earn them via just playing. This doesn't depend on the player knowing what is going on, only on them noting the speed at which they receive bright engrams. Which was deliberately slowed down.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    If Bungie had been honest about this whole XP thing from the beginning, there definitely would've been complaints but people would've just accepted it eventually.

This massive reaction is purely down to Bungie being, arguably, deliberately deceptive about the whole thing. They only commented on it after pcgamer published an article about it, not at all during the week or so prior where the subreddit had already figured out something was wrong.
    They were obviously reviewing the system as a whole (hence the actual change rather than just fixing the displayed values) so any comment they made prior to that decision would have just been a placeholder saying they're reviewing things.

Expecting them (especially during Thanksgiving) to respond to this sort of stuff within days is a bit much, I think.

People were raising it as an issue well before thanksgiving (during the Clarion Call the prior weekend). It was only when pcgamer put up an article the day after thanksgiving that Bungie commented. Thanksgiving as an excuse is completely irrelevant here.

the day after thanksgiving is one business day ago

assuming it is a business day at all, which it often is not if you're not retail or food service

Black friday is not a business day in america. I mean as far as legal contracts go.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

What are these buyable XP buffs you keep talking about?

You buy "Silver" with real money that will let you buy Bright Engrams directly, no need for any XP buffs.

Bz9lBes.jpg
    The options under "Silver Purchases".

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

What are these buyable XP buffs you keep talking about?

Real money will let you buy Bright Engrams directly, no need for any XP buffs.

Fireteam medallions I'm guessing.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Ah, well then. They could have posted something saying that they are reviewing things, yes.
    Things taking a long time is the number one way to get people to purchase things directly or buy boosts (see: every mobile game ever).

The thing is, you need to keep players wanting to play for a long time and augment that playtime with purchases (from the perspective of wanting to make money), so ideally the balancing act involves giving players incentives to keep playing (ie making the game fun).

In Destiny's case specifically, that also involves tuning the rewards for each activity such that there will always be people doing them whenever you decide to do one.

And thanks to Bungie's impeccable big data expertise they are perfect at doing that.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Surfpossum no one is disagreeing with you that it’s possible that the display discrepancy is a big. People are just saying that because BARz BARZ BARZ dinging your endorphins regularly is undoubtedly (and confirmed by bungie) one of the most refined and polished parts of the game it seems unlikely that it is a bug.

It’s important for the player experience that completing a public event feels rewarding, so bungie has a huge incentive to make the gain appear to not be a piddly slice on your exp bar.

It’s also important for monetization that bungie tightly controls the rate it which the most obsessive players get bright engrams.

It’s very suspicious, wouldn’t you say, that the old implementation perfectly satisfies both these goals?

HMMMMM
    But it literally did show a piddly slice on the XP bar. That's the whole reason anybody noticed!
    Arteen wrote: »
    Arguing whether Bungie was deliberately deceitful or "just" lazy, incompetent and accidentally lied is entirely tangential to the issue.

They still lied!
    You... you can't accidentally lie. That's not what lying is!

I think I'm going to agree that Bungie lied and hid

the XP buff that decayed after doing Public Events.

You can lie accidentally. That's a perfectly valid use of the word.

How would you rather describe it? Bungie made an untruth and now they're in a doubleplus ungood situation?

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Lying requires intent to deceive. You literally can't lie accidentally.

You can Bungle, though.

Bungle, v: to communicate mistruths regardless of intent.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Nope, the cart is firmly being pulled by the horse here. You don't need to know the throttling is going on because the point isn't for the player to go "I'm being throttled on XP, better buy lootboxes", it's for the player to level up slower, thereby making bright engrams more rare, thus encouraging them to buy the bright engrams with money because it's harder to earn them via just playing. This doesn't depend on the player knowing what is going on, only on them noting the speed at which they receive bright engrams. Which was deliberately slowed down.

It was slowed down from day one, so from everyone's point of reference that was just the rate. Anyone buying boxes did so based on that rate. "Slowing down" only enters the conversation after this reveal.

Also I mention the XP buffs because people insist that the throttling was put in place in part to facilitate making the pop tart buffs more worth it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

It was slowed down from day one, so from everyone's point of reference that was just the rate. Anyone buying boxes did so based on that rate. "Slowing down" only enters the conversation after this reveal.

Also I mention the XP buffs because people insist that the throttling was put in place in part to facilitate making the pop tart buffs more worth it.
    People don't need to know anything in order to want an XP buff. If it feels like it's taking a long time to get a bright engram, then that's an incentive to buy something that will get you one faster (or buy one directly).

This is, like, the basis of all modern microtransactions.

Unless you mean that being aware of the throttling shouldn't change the calculus of whether or not to buy a boost relative to being unaware of it, in which case ehhhh being shown incorrect numbers throws a bit of a wrench into that argument.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

People don't need to know anything in order to want an XP buff. If it feels like it's taking a long time to get a bright engram, then that's an incentive to buy something that will get you one faster (or buy one directly).

This is, like, the basis of all modern microtransactions.

But "levelling was made slow intentionally to sell loot boxes" wasn't a narrative until this reveal, so bringing it up now rings hollow to me.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    It's also another proxy for general disappointment with the game.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Oh god, what has happened in the few hours I've been away? New thread going up.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
This discussion has been closed.