As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Curse of Osiris out now! DM your clan's GM for PA re-up.

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited December 2017 in Games and Technology
What makes a Guardian… a Guardian? We take our first breath with no memory of who we were before – yet we are inexorably drawn to the Light. We fight, we die… and we live again. We know that we were chosen for a reason by something greater than ourselves. For as deep and wide as humanity’s rivers have run, it has now been reduced to a precious few, needing something to believe in… and a place to call home. This is what we have been called to – the future that we fight for. The future we will protect.

Shaped by the fires of each new battle, we are forged and sharpened into what we must become for the fight ahead.

What we have built is only the beginning – a symbol of what we can achieve, of who we are and our great purpose here. But the day may come when we will be tested. When all we hold dear is threatened. And then, we will see what each of us is truly made of.

vb63c58xrd5a.png

Destiny 2: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It, No, Seriously, I Know It Looks like We’re Losing but Everything Is Under Control, We Promise is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC and the second title in Bungie and Activision’s ten-year, zillion-dollar Destiny franchise. It’s MMO-like – think gear collection (and dress-up), skill trees and specs, party play, raiding, and PvP – with rock-solid gunplay and wondrous, gorgeous worlds to explore. Beyond all of that, it’s also home to the best damn community in gaming: Pax Arcadia, our systems-spanning network of clans.

A Little History: Our Story So Far
In Year One of Destiny, the Wise and Noble Guardians of PA traveled through space and time in defense of Human, Awoken, and Exo, rising to meet every challenge and ultimately emerging from a year's worth of adventures bearing the spoils of war and the bounty of exotic weapons, sturdy and stylish armor, fortune, and fame. Through our bravery and dedication, we defended The Tower from all who would see it leveled to the ground. Our legend reached the farthest battlefields of the Crucible. We earned the favor of the Queen and protected her Reef from enemies seeking to tear it apart.

At times, our successes seemed inevitable, almost routine. We traveled backward and forward through time; we crushed our foes underfoot in encounter after encounter; we destroyed the heart of a god - more than once. We plumbed the depths of the Dark Below, face-to-hideous-face with Crota, Hive Prince and Son of Oryx. In time, he fell like the rest. We took his wretched, cursed husk and held it aloft as a trophy.

In Year Two, we braved the Dreadnaught, a terrifying frontier, and we beat back the Taken, a twisted menace. We competed against our fellow Guardians in brutal bloodsport, sharpening ourselves into efficient, highly coordinated soldiers of the Light. We returned to the Prison of Elders and tore through its denizens, leaving our mark on its every arena. We remained relentless, undeterred, in the face of overwhelming odds, and together we struck down Oryx, the Taken King. He refused to tolerate our insolence; we refused to tolerate his existence.

In Year Three, Fallen mutants, scavenging the tombs of the Golden Age, unleashed a plague of unimaginable corruption on our world. Grotesque new foes bore down upon the walls of the Last City, challenging us to adapt or perish. Lord Saladin called us to take up the mantle of the Iron Lords, and we obliged. We honored their legacy by rediscovering their history and celebrating a noble, long-buried tradition.

Now, as we enter a new era, our greatest-ever threat emerges from the Darkness to meet us: Dominus Ghaul, leader of the Cabal’s Red Legion. Ghaul believes that the Traveler erred in bestowing the Light upon us; as we begin our journey in Destiny 2, he and his forces will assail the Tower, corrupt the Traveler, and scatter us to the wilds, beyond the relative safety of our city’s walls. For the first time ever, we will enter a world without Light.

But we will enter it together, Guardians. And it will not be dark for long.

szuuy5gycpri.png

Clan Update (Sept. 9, 2017): Bungie's new clan portals have rolled out, and we have three separate clan pages (complete with general chat wall and LFG channels!) for PlayStation, Xbox and PC Arcadians. To join up on your specific platform, please PM @GMaster7 (PS4), @ObiFett (Xbox) or @SniperGuy (PC) and let us know your PSN/Xbox/Battle.net ID and your Bungie.net ID - and add yourself to the bottom of the Mega-Roster (linked below) for your platform of choice (on PS4, add yourself to the bottom of the blue-labeled Waitlist section). Then, use the below links to send a join request to your platform's clan on Bungie.net. Note that clans will be a bit more of a walled garden in D2 - because the 100-member cap will remain, we're looking for players who will be active in-game and here in the thread. General policy has been to boot for inactivity after a few months, but our plan is to be a bit more aggressive with inactivity checks in D2. (Note that the PS4 clan is full-up at 100 as of this writing. We will use this excellent tool developed by our very own Muffinatron (Holy-Promethium) to conduct regular inactivity checks - for now, we're eyeing a thirty-day inactivity cap.)
Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster Spreadsheet
Pax Arcadia (PS4)
Pax Arcadia Prime (Xbox One)
Pax-Arcadia (PC)

PC Arcadians: We also have a clan channel within the PA Discord server!

PS4 Overflow Clans
On PS4, Pax Arcadia's waitlist has been growing pretty steadily since launch. If you're on that list and are looking to escape from no-clan purgatory and reap some weekly clan rewards, might I suggest joining either our overflow clan or the SE++ subforum's clan? There's a lot of overlap between PA and these other clans, and if you're on the waitlist, I'll still let you know if your spot comes up.
Pax Chardcadia (PS4 Overflow)
SE++ Clan

Find teammates with The100.io!
If you're looking for teammates for any activity in D1 or D2, check out PA's console-specific groups on The100.io, right here:
Pax Arcadia - PS4
Pax Arcadia - Xbox One

Useful Links and Utilities
We will use this space to compile links to miscellaneous sites and tools as we prepare for and dive into the launch of D2. Please feel free to PM or @ me in the thread at any time if you would like to contribute a useful resource or utility to the OP.
Destiny Item Manager: Move items between characters and keep track of your gear and inventory.
DestinyTracker: Track your stats, plus leaderboards, activity listings, and vendors.
DestinyDB: Item lists and tons of info.

mfua5ptrphdo.png

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Look, all I'm saying is, there's no evidence that there was anyone else accompanying Praedyth Pahanin and Kabr into the Vault
    yes I did mash refresh just to do a goof

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I disagree that the XP is tuned to incentivize purchases. You're putting the cart before the horse if you're using the throttling system as evidence. Since players did not know about the throttling, how could they be incentivized to buy XP buffs to counteract it? The only thing up to now that'd incentivize a purchase is how long it takes to level up, especially after your weekly 3x buff is gone. I'd argue that the type of person who'd buy a box before this reveal would still do so afterwards because the time taken to level is all that mattered to them and by all indications Bungie is going to adjust the max XP so the time-per-level remains the same.

Nope, the cart is firmly being pulled by the horse here. You don't need to know the throttling is going on because the point isn't for the player to go "I'm being throttled on XP, better buy lootboxes", it's for the player to level up slower, thereby making bright engrams more rare, thus encouraging them to buy the bright engrams with money because it's harder to earn them via just playing. This doesn't depend on the player knowing what is going on, only on them noting the speed at which they receive bright engrams. Which was deliberately slowed down.

It was slowed down from day one, so from everyone's point of reference that was just the rate. Anyone buying boxes did so based on that rate. "Slowing down" only enters the conversation after this reveal.

Also I mention the XP buffs because people insist that the throttling was put in place in part to facilitate making the pop tart buffs more worth it.
    People don't need to know anything in order to want an XP buff. If it feels like it's taking a long time to get a bright engram, then that's an incentive to buy something that will get you one faster (or buy one directly).

This is, like, the basis of all modern microtransactions.

But "levelling was made slow intentionally to sell loot boxes" wasn't a narrative until this reveal, so bringing it up now rings hollow to me.

this is usually what happens when the curtain is pulled back

leveling being kind of slow was a complaint but that's just the way it seemed things were

now we know it is actually throttled

that changes the narrative

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Destiny 2 Bright Engram XP scaling going-

UdKDw2Q.jpg

Sirialis on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Personally I don't care about lootboxes or companies being dishonest. I expect companies to be dishonest. I just find it hilarious that you'd lie to the internet and expect to not get caught. It's full of highly motivated and tech savvy people, you will get caught 99.999999% of the time.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I disagree that the XP is tuned to incentivize purchases. You're putting the cart before the horse if you're using the throttling system as evidence. Since players did not know about the throttling, how could they be incentivized to buy XP buffs to counteract it? The only thing up to now that'd incentivize a purchase is how long it takes to level up, especially after your weekly 3x buff is gone. I'd argue that the type of person who'd buy a box before this reveal would still do so afterwards because the time taken to level is all that mattered to them and by all indications Bungie is going to adjust the max XP so the time-per-level remains the same.

Nope, the cart is firmly being pulled by the horse here. You don't need to know the throttling is going on because the point isn't for the player to go "I'm being throttled on XP, better buy lootboxes", it's for the player to level up slower, thereby making bright engrams more rare, thus encouraging them to buy the bright engrams with money because it's harder to earn them via just playing. This doesn't depend on the player knowing what is going on, only on them noting the speed at which they receive bright engrams. Which was deliberately slowed down.

It was slowed down from day one, so from everyone's point of reference that was just the rate. Anyone buying boxes did so based on that rate. "Slowing down" only enters the conversation after this reveal.

Also I mention the XP buffs because people insist that the throttling was put in place in part to facilitate making the pop tart buffs more worth it.
    People don't need to know anything in order to want an XP buff. If it feels like it's taking a long time to get a bright engram, then that's an incentive to buy something that will get you one faster (or buy one directly).

But "levelling was made slow intentionally to sell loot boxes" wasn't a narrative until this reveal, so bringing it up now rings hollow to me.

It actually has been multiple times.

Its already baked into the game with the 3x rested buff. You essentially get three free lootboxes, after which it takes so long you're better off just buying a box. So levelling is made slow after your first three hits a week in order to sell loot boxes.

Additionally, the amount of exp needed to earn a bright engram goes up each level after 20. At first you are getting them for only 20k exp. It capped off originally at 80k exp after I think 20ish levels above 20? That caused a bit of a roar right around launch because there was no data on the current cap. Once it was seen that it capped out at 80k, the uproar died down, but the narrative was still there.

Finally, anywhere there is a cash shop, the ability to get free stuff from the cash shop being lowered over time is just basic Microtransaction tactic. Its not even so much a narrative as it is a fact of life when dealing with that mechanic in games.

So its not so much that it wasn't a narrative until this reveal, its that this was a secretive/manipulative way to perform that tactic and that's what made it feel scummy.

ObiFett on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Well no, because before this we didn't know that leveling was being deliberately slowed down. So there's no way for "leveling was made slow intentionally" to be a narrative.

This doesn't change anything about what is being talked about though and I've no idea why you think it would. They were still slowing down leveling to encourage people to buy bright engrams. And when caught doing it, they didn't just stop the throttling of XP, they changed the system around to keep bright engram income the same or lower.

The intent on their part here is very clear.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Personally I don't care about lootboxes or companies being dishonest. I expect companies to be dishonest. I just find it hilarious that you'd lie to the internet and expect to not get caught. It's full of highly motivated and tech savvy people, you will get caught 99.999999% of the time.

yeah, the old adage "it's not the crime, it's the cover up" comes to mind

which is a cliché for a reason, but people keep doing it

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    ITT: we learn that GMaster7 doesn't like to Copy Image Location to get images. <3

Or perhaps he was unable to do so because he copied and pasted too many characters at once... hmm... QUESTION EVERYTHING.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I think the broken OP is intentional on the part of its developer

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    ITT: we learn that GMaster7 doesn't like to Copy Image Location to get images. <3

Or perhaps he was unable to do so because he copied and pasted too many characters at once... hmm... QUESTION EVERYTHING.

Go to Page 1 -> Click Edit/Gear Icon on OP -> Ctrl+A -> Ctrl+C -> back out to G&T -> New Discussion button -> Absolute brilliance on thread title -> Ctrl+V -> Post.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

*plugs in dusty X52 throttle, slams it forward*

So the idea that leveling is slow to get people to buy loot boxes was never really in question, I think. But being shown the wrong numbers will affect purchases.

I might not want to pay $5 for a bright or whatever. But if I calculate that, based on the 7000 XP that just popped up, that a box of Poptarts will get me an extra two brights, then maybe I'll go buy that box of Poptarts.

But if I saw that 7000 go to 4000 and then 3000, I might rethink that.

People are real mad because they feel that Bungie deliberately didn't show the reduced values to either trick people into buying Poptarts or thinking that they'll get a bright soon and just buying one when it takes longer than expected.

Huggles wrote: »

With respect to the OP: The intent is to provide forumers with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different pictures and links.

Wrong game, I know, but I couldn't resist.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Like always, I can still find humor in the situation.

Like, maybe someone at Activision will get a bad paper cut counting his stacks of money or something

GMaster7 wrote: »

Go to Page 1 -> Click Edit/Gear Icon on OP -> Ctrl+A -> Ctrl+C -> back out to G&T -> New Discussion button -> Absolute brilliance on thread title -> Ctrl+V -> Post.

As my clients would like to say when introducing changes that they requested: too many steps.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Look, all I'm saying is, there's no evidence that there was anyone else accompanying Praedyth Pahanin and Kabr into the Vault

Bungie is just throttling the members of the fireteam :rotate:

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

With respect to the OP: The intent is to provide forumers with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different pictures and links.

Wrong game, I know, but I couldn't resist.

pretty sure the pictures and links are friends we made along the way.

The D2 thread is just like D2's XP system. It's really hard to predict whether it's moving quickly or slowly, and it seems arbitrary, but the reason it works that way is because fuck you that's why

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

The Vex definitely erased the other fireteam members from existence.

But it was an accident, and that makes it okay.

I think it's more correct to say they got Bungled out of this continuum

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

Well no, because before this we didn't know that leveling was being deliberately slowed down. So there's no way for "leveling was made slow intentionally" to be a narrative.

This doesn't change anything about what is being talked about though and I've no idea why you think it would. They were still slowing down leveling to encourage people to buy bright engrams. And when caught doing it, they didn't just stop the throttling of XP, they changed the system around to keep bright engram income the same or lower.

If this was the only thing they throttled then the intent would be clear (or at least clearer) but when it's just one of many things they're throttling, the majority of which have nothing to do with loot boxes, then the intent is very much not clear.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

I know this is a joke, but this is one of my pet issues: just because something isn't okay doesn't mean it's a lie. Something not being a lie doesn't mean it's okay.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Guardians make their own experience calculations!

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited November 2017

I know this is a joke, but this is one of my pet issues: just because something isn't okay doesn't mean it's a lie. Something not being a lie doesn't mean it's okay.

Was @Arteen accidentally telling a lie here?

Sirialis on
    my posts are inextricably bound to the harmonic resonance of the thread's magnetic flux tubes

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    my posts are inextricably bound to the harmonic resonance of the thread's magnetic flux tubes

...a causal loop within the thread's posting mechanism, suggesting that the complaining process somehow binds space and time into...

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I got the Iron banner emblem today, thought I'd be fine with IB after that...but now I just need the chest piece for a full armor set..so I guess in going back in

edited November 2017
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I got the Iron banner emblem today, thought I'd be fine with IB after that...but now I just need the chest piece for a full armor set..so I guess in going back in

I saw a reddit post earlier today with a guy saying it only took him 70 rank ups to get his full set. (I peaced out last time after 15 rank ups and only receiving a single armor piece - a helmet)

Good luck with the RNG.

Sirialis on
    edited November 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »

Was Arteen accidentally telling a lie here?
    I am reasonably sure it was in reference to whether or not Bungie intentionally or accidentally lied by showing unscaled XP numbers.

And I wanted to explicitly note that just because I am unconvinced that they lied doesn't mean I think it was okay, because apparently that was unclear.

Surfpossum on
    Salt logic instead of sword logic?

I am reasonably sure it was in reference to whether or not Bungie intentionally or accidentally lied by showing unscaled XP numbers.

And I wanted to explicitly note that just because I am unconvinced that they lied doesn't mean I think it was okay, because apparently that was unclear.

I think Siri was joking.

Unless you think Siri was joking too and decided to play it straight.

Or maybe Siri was serious and you're joking.

It's too much for me to process right now.

I think this is all part of an elaborate ARG to keep us occupied until CoO

And after CoO

i am always joking

except right now of course

or am i

Bucketman wrote: »
    I told myself that I wouldn't bother with completing the set on my warlock... but now I've got two armor pieces on him already....

It probably helps that I like Clash and having a Clash only playlist suits me just fine.

I think Siri was joking.

Unless you think Siri was joking too and decided to play it straight.

Or maybe Siri was serious and you're joking.

It's too much for me to process right now.
    Yes.

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    By the way I know you guys are avoiding the speeding salt asteroid that is r/DTG but apparently the removal of throttling and subsequent XP bar doubling means that you do actually earn Bright Engrams 6% faster.

Before this, the throttling resulted in getting about 44% of your reported XP, since doubling halves the effectiveness of each XP point and the XP values for completing an activity or doing something are presumably unchanged, that's equivalent to getting 50% of the value for each XP earned.

Hence the new system is 6% faster.

ElementWrath on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

If this was the only thing they throttled then the intent would be clear (or at least clearer) but when it's just one of many things they're throttling, the majority of which have nothing to do with loot boxes, then the intent is very much not clear.

Nope. The stuff I'm talking about in the last sentence in the second paragraph is really important. That's the really big tell we just got. When they removed the throttling they deliberately increased the XP per level to keep bright engram income the same for people playing a lot. If they had just dropped the throttling it would be more ambiguous but they made a deliberate change to slow down people who farm less in the interest of keeping bright engram income from going up a bunch for people who play a ton. It's very clear what they are most concerned about here.

shryke on
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    For those of us who bought the game (but not the season pass) and are still reading this thread, how many plan to plunk down cash to buy CoO? I've shifted to the point of "prove it" with Bungie, so I'm planning to wait and see if the clan list fills up again after the DLC hits.

By the way I know you guys are avoiding the speeding salt asteroid that is r/DTG but apparently the removal of throttling and subsequent XP bar doubling means that you do actually earn Bright Engrams 6% faster.

Before this, the throttling resulted in getting about 44% of your reported XP, since doubling halves the effectiveness of each XP point and the XP values for completing an activity or doing something are presumably unchanged, that's equivalent to getting 50% of the value for each XP earned.

Hence the new system is 6% faster.

There but for the grace of god you go, elementwrath. Have the noble scholars of dtg calculated the impact on crucible?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It makes it even more shady they made it impossible to see XP numbers in game. It makes it shady when they instantly recant the system as if prepared for it to happen. The lack of any visible Ranks without a third party app is a big part of the issue, because they explicitly showed ranks and xp numbers in D1. They offer an API that clearly tracks these things. They don't want the average person to know they have 100 gunsmith ranks and no class sword dupe to show for it (not bitter at all).

It's something they've done intentionally and if I have one major UI gripe, it would be the fact that Bungo wants to keep players in the dark but win brownie points for making an actually rewarding activity in things like Public Events. It's almost insulting to fans who want to know more and dig into the systems. There's a reason reddit threads crunching numbers and spreadsheets are so popular. Seeing people turn in 40-70 ranks and still not getting a full set of armor is useful information to me, so I don't waste my time playing IB til season 2.

What I wound up doing—because I was very vocal about not buying the expansions or pass at full price—was buying some gift card money on sale at 20% off, and then buying the digital game + pass at whatever the black friday discount rate was.

This discussion has been closed.