As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Curse of Osiris out now! DM your clan's GM for PA re-up.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    "Look guys, it was a bug we never intended to throttle the xp, we're just terrible at fixing the game bugs. It was a complete misunderstanding.

.... but we're going to slow you down to just about the exact same that it was at. The bugged amount. The amount we didnt want it to be set to. That seems like the right amount. What a weird coincidence guys"

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    By the way I know you guys are avoiding the speeding salt asteroid that is r/DTG but apparently the removal of throttling and subsequent XP bar doubling means that you do actually earn Bright Engrams 6% faster.

Before this, the throttling resulted in getting about 44% of your reported XP, since doubling halves the effectiveness of each XP point and the XP values for completing an activity or doing something are presumably unchanged, that's equivalent to getting 50% of the value for each XP earned.

Hence the new system is 6% faster.

If you only raid or play crucible, though, you are going to earn BEs 100% slower.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    By the way I know you guys are avoiding the speeding salt asteroid that is r/DTG but apparently the removal of throttling and subsequent XP bar doubling means that you do actually earn Bright Engrams 6% faster.

Before this, the throttling resulted in getting about 44% of your reported XP, since doubling halves the effectiveness of each XP point and the XP values for completing an activity or doing something are presumably unchanged, that's equivalent to getting 50% of the value for each XP earned.

Assuming the XP values for everything remain unchanged AND you're grinding Public Events.

If you weren't hitting that reduction in the global XP buff* then the new method will be slower (again, assuming no tweaks).

* yes, I'm phrasing it like this to be ornery
    CorriganX wrote: »
    "Look guys, it was a bug we never intended to throttle the xp, we're just terrible at fixing the game bugs. It was a complete misunderstanding.

.... but we're going to slow you down to just about the exact same that it was at. The bugged amount. The amount we didnt want it to be set to. That seems like the right amount. What a weird coincidence guys"
    This is not what I think was a bug. I think it's possible the XP values being displayed without the modifier were an error.

Surfpossum on
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

If you only raid or play crucible, though, you are going to earn BEs 100% slower.

Live look into bungie's offices:
    05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I expected the thread title to be "LucasArts Presents Destiny 2 Full Throttle" so I'm slightly let down by this but it's still pretty good.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I'll be buying the expansion and a second copy out of spite.

Surfpossum wrote: »

This is not what I think was a bug. I think it's possible the XP values being displayed without the modifier were an error.

Then the fix would be to fix the display, not completely change the shit and then double the total xp needed. "the display is what we meant, so to fix the display, we're fucking with the xp gained % then doubling the amount you needed. Because fixing display bugs is easier this way"

n1woEHJ.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I expected the thread title to be "LucasArts Presents Destiny 2 Full Throttle" so I'm slightly let down by this but it's still pretty good.

Some of us tried to make up for the improper lacking of Lucasarts Full Throttle in the OP.

Its me, I'm the guy.

Sirialis on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I'll be buying the expansion and a second copy out of spite.

they've already got my money three times so i basically get to spend until next september justifying my decisions to myself

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular

Where did Bungie say it was a bug or unintentional?

If the problem people had with the throttling was that it existed, then there's no reason to be angry that they're adjusting their numbers to counteract removing it. If the problem people had with the throttling was that it wasn't communicated, then they're getting what they want by the numbers always being right and the overall time to level not changing is irrelevant in regards to their initial complaint.

Then the fix would be to fix the display, not completely change the shit and then double the total xp needed. "the display is what we meant, so to fix the display, we're fucking with the xp gained % then doubling the amount you needed. Because fixing display bugs is easier this way"
    They said they weren't happy with the existing XP system. This is not mutually exclusive with the existing system having a display bug.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It makes it even more shady they made it impossible to see XP numbers in game. It makes it shady when they instantly recant the system as if prepared for it to happen. The lack of any visible Ranks without a third party app is a big part of the issue, because they explicitly showed ranks and xp numbers in D1. They offer an API that clearly tracks these things. They don't want the average person to know they have 100 gunsmith ranks and no class sword dupe to show for it (not bitter at all).

It's something they've done intentionally and if I have one major UI gripe, it would be the fact that Bungo wants to keep players in the dark but win brownie points for making an actually rewarding activity in things like Public Events. It's almost insulting to fans who want to know more and dig into the systems. There's a reason reddit threads crunching numbers and spreadsheets are so popular. Seeing people turn in 40-70 ranks and still not getting a full set of armor is useful information to me, so I don't waste my time playing IB til season 2.

Eh, Ranks don't matter though except for Faction rallies. At least, afaik. I can see why they wouldn't bother to put them in the UI.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Bungie has effectively throttled my interest in playing their game (and purchasing bright engrams) to zero.

Working as intended?

I can't wait for two days from now when what's ruining Destiny is Bungie having taken away the beloved global XP buff that was throttled down by Public Events.

• BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Has Bungie silently doubling the amount of XP required to level already made it into this discussion? It might be a sensible balance thing to do after removing the throttling, but how could they not bother to tell anyone when their credibility was at stake?

EDIT: Sorry I was back on Page 1. Carry on.

Blain on
    edited November 2017
    Blain wrote: »
    Has Bungie silently doubling the amount of XP required to level already made it into this discussion? It might be a sensible balance thing to do after removing the throttling, but how could they not bother to tell anyone when their credibility was at stake?

This is the first I've ever heard of this.

I dont believe any of this for a single second, Bungie wouldnt do that!

LEAVE BUNGIE ALONE

Sirialis on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Blain wrote: »

EDIT: Sorry I was back on Page 1. Carry on.

You're like that dude that comes along after an argument starts to settle and says the thing that triggered the argument because you want to see the world burn, Blain.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    For those of us who bought the game (but not the season pass) and are still reading this thread, how many plan to plunk down cash to buy CoO? I've shifted to the point of "prove it" with Bungie, so I'm planning to wait and see if the clan list fills up again after the DLC hits.

Hello, yes, this is me. If Wednesday's sandbox stream isn't pretty compelling then I'm going to wait.

Again, for anyone into PvP, you can still get into fully populated Destiny 1 matches in a completely reasonable amount of time, and it's still fun!

Opty wrote: »

If the problem people had with the throttling was that it existed, then there's no reason to be angry that they're adjusting their numbers to counteract removing it. If the problem people had with the throttling was that it wasn't communicated, then they're getting what they want by the numbers always being right and the overall time to level not changing is irrelevant in regards to their initial complaint.

Sure there is. Because if you weren't playing and getting throttled all the time, then you are now getting fucked over on leveling speed.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am still playing this game a couple of times a week and enjoying it, playing a bit more PVP and liking it, not really too upset by this xp thing

I got the expansion pass and plan to continue enjoying myself

I don't read the Reddit or this thread except for specific posts about mechanics, generally, because I find negativity (merited or not!) can drag down one's enjoyment of a thing

Also I'm confident that the live team will make solid changes I guess

I like doing nightfalls and crucible with my buds

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm glad we've finally moved to a new thread.

That XP discussion was having diminishing returns.

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

There but for the grace of god you go, elementwrath. Have the noble scholars of dtg calculated the impact on crucible?

Impression seemed to be without the GOOD exp throttling in Raids and PvP, they are even less worthwhile than doing before if your goal is bright engrams.

Edit: as others have previously noted on this page.

ElementWrath on
    The only exotic emote I dont have is - Salty.

What are the odds?

So I'm sure I can't be the only one who, while standing in the Tower dicking around on DIM notices almost right away that the fucking NPCs talk way too goddamn much.

But has anyone else got the point where they've like moved past that to being even more annoyed at what they say?

I swear every time I hear that Eververse lady yabbering on about how she totally was about to pick up a gun and join the fight again I wanna yell "Like hell you were. You were spending all your time standing around the farm trying to sell me shit. Shut up, oh my god.". Or when Banshee-44 is going on about his stock always changing I just wanna yell "No, it's not. Your stock literally never changes!".

Is that just me?

• LuarithaeLuarithae Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I just used vex technology to come to this forum time-line. I wasn't prepared for what's going on here.

Luarithae on
    They are dead...you..are..not...
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It makes it even more shady they made it impossible to see XP numbers in game. It makes it shady when they instantly recant the system as if prepared for it to happen. The lack of any visible Ranks without a third party app is a big part of the issue, because they explicitly showed ranks and xp numbers in D1. They offer an API that clearly tracks these things. They don't want the average person to know they have 100 gunsmith ranks and no class sword dupe to show for it (not bitter at all).

It's something they've done intentionally and if I have one major UI gripe, it would be the fact that Bungo wants to keep players in the dark but win brownie points for making an actually rewarding activity in things like Public Events. It's almost insulting to fans who want to know more and dig into the systems. There's a reason reddit threads crunching numbers and spreadsheets are so popular. Seeing people turn in 40-70 ranks and still not getting a full set of armor is useful information to me, so I don't waste my time playing IB til season 2.

Wait, so if tou turn in tokens you get a rank? Does the rank effect the rewards you get?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'm not so worried about the whole thing other than it's again a bit of a PR disaster. I figure they tuned Brengram drops to where they wanted by making them a static cost and then adjusting exp gains to where they wanted it to happen time wise, which strikes me as the worst way to do it. Figure out what the best possible xp gain is and then set your brengram cost based on that, because eventually all the people who grind them will move to doing the 'best' way anyways.

The loot boxes in Destiny in general seem entirely copacetic; they just reward cosmetics and you can earn a few a week just...playing the game.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    "Decryption can break your heart."

Fuck you, troll.

"It's easy math, Guardian!"

Fuck you, capitalist pig.

"...so I gave her a thumbs up!"

...oh my god, shut up.

*hears Shaxx shouting off in the distance*

Heh, yeah, you tell 'em, big guy.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Luarithae wrote: »
    I just used vex technology to come to this forum time-line. I wasn't prepared for what's going on here.

*drinks oracle juice or whatever*

edited November 2017
    Chanus wrote: »

Vex milk, you mean?

Sirialis on
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Vex milk, you mean?

are oracles filled with the same milk i dunno

they need to label this stuff there should be a regulatory agency

Fawst wrote: »
    "Decryption can break your heart."

Fuck you, troll.

"It's easy math, Guardian!"

Fuck you, capitalist pig.

"...so I gave her a thumbs up!"

...oh my god, shut up.

*hears Shaxx shouting off in the distance*

Heh, yeah, you tell 'em, big guy.

FENCHURCH SAYS A LOT OF

FANTASTIC THINGS?

edited November 2017

I can't get over this comment. It is such a misrepresentation of what people are saying that I feel like there must be some kind of huge disconnect but I have no idea how to approach it.

Like, is it unclear that the possible bug is the numbers that pop up on screen, not the actual XP gained? Is it confusing that Bungie might have, entirely separate from that, other reasons for changing the XP system? Why, if nobody had a problem with the system aside from the numbers being wrong, would changing it to be the same amount of time* be bad?

None of this makes sense!

* yes, as far as I'm aware this is not the case

Surfpossum on

it's the perfect destiny story

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    It’s funny to me that they put so much effort into making the vendors full of effusive praise but they’ll still call you a simpleton if you stand in front of them futzing around in your inventory

Alt post: replace all vendors with shaxx and let’s turn this salt meteor right around

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    Bungie at least kept their PR team from Destiny 1, that makes me nostalgic.

JKWhuKj.jpg

Doing Gods work, gents.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Finally got a Vigilance Wing last night. Hooooly shit. That thing is murderous. Took me a while to get a hang of the recoil on the 5 round bursts but once I did I was dropping fools left right and center with it. In addition to that, I finished my IB Titan armor set and Vigilance Wing was the last exotic I needed to catch em all. Just in time for the expansion right around the corner! Very excited for that.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)

I can't get over this comment. It is such a misrepresentation of what people are saying that I feel like there must be some kind of huge disconnect but I have no idea how to approach it.

Like, is it unclear that the possible bug is the numbers that pop up on screen, not the actual XP gained? Is it confusing that Bungie might have, entirely separate from that, other reasons for changing the XP system? Why, if nobody had a problem with the system aside from the numbers being wrong, would changing it to be the same amount of time* be bad?

* yes, as far as I'm aware this is not the case

Better spite buy more copies of the game until it all becomes clear.

n1woEHJ.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so, uh, is it ok if i play the game tonight?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

Sure there is. Because if you weren't playing and getting throttled all the time, then you are now getting fucked over on leveling speed.

Someone who wasn't affected by the throttling wouldn't likely fall into the group you bolded made up of people whose issue was that throttling existed at all. They might fall into the newly created bucket of "people annoyed that the fix to remove throttling for the people complaining about it only affects them, since they weren't affected by the throttling to begin with" though.

This discussion has been closed.