As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Impetus

1235»

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am not aware of what Enforcers get, at least here in Australia anyway. Is it free entry, stuff or is it actually being paid to run the event? Most conventions here in Australia the volunteers are not paid and get a few benefits for it, which I have direct experience with having volunteered for a couple (Supanova and Ozcomic con).

Edit: This should not have been a double post - apologies.

I don't know specifically about Aus (because I'm less involved with it) but they're certainly paid in the US.

When did this change? It was my understanding that in 2015 Enforcers were not paid.

What is this I don't even.
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I haven't read anything on Punisher aside from some headlines and the stuff in this thread, but it sounds like Polygon is echoing a sentiment I've seen elsewhere, like the AV Club.

Not to mention that The Punisher promotion was pulled at NYCC because another mass shooting had just occurred shortly beforehand. So even the publishers are aware of the connection, it's not just something a Polygon reviewer pulled out of their ass.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    that punisher review reads pretty reasonably to me, it's not even particularly scathing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Frank Castle's enchanted crime-field complicates his morality.

• thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Do more than give a nod to the general vicinity of the subject. Talk, pardon me, frankly about how romanticizing gun violence contributes to the mass shootings. Have a vigilante idealist Frank-wannabe die from a self-inflicted GSW after killing people wantonly. Talk about the obsession with bodycount and the gun models. Have a gun control advocate kill someone because they don't know how to handle a gun and have no trigger discipline. Have a villain never touch a gun and instead drive a truck into a crowd, and only a gun-wielding vigilante is able to stop them. These are just examples, I'm not a writer.
    I haven't yet watched Netflix's attempt at the Punisher but I can't see how any of these ideas could make the general Punisher concept any better.

How can perpetuating the myth of a causal link between violence in entertainment and gun violence be a good plot point for a show about a vigilante who uses violence. It would only be more misleading. I would provide more information but I do not want to push this thread in a more political direction(I am sure the mods do not want this to turn into a gun control thread) and I also do not want to read any reviews for the Punisher before I watch it. Gotta avoid the spoilers.

On the issue of whether Gabe and Tycho are overly critical or reactionary? They clearly are pretty gentle in this strip and stating they do not like a website is hardly a big deal. I'm not entirely certain why the reviewer on Polymer or the site in general needs to be protected because Penny arcade doesn't like their site. But then again, I'm an adult now with a full time job and barely have the free time to get bothered about internet feuds anymore. Barely got enough time to read Penny arcade and its comments these days.

thepuregamer on
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Do more than give a nod to the general vicinity of the subject. Talk, pardon me, frankly about how romanticizing gun violence contributes to the mass shootings. Have a vigilante idealist Frank-wannabe die from a self-inflicted GSW after killing people wantonly. Talk about the obsession with bodycount and the gun models. Have a gun control advocate kill someone because they don't know how to handle a gun and have no trigger discipline. Have a villain never touch a gun and instead drive a truck into a crowd, and only a gun-wielding vigilante is able to stop them. These are just examples, I'm not a writer.
    On the issue of whether Gabe and Tycho are overly critical or reactionary? They clearly are pretty gentle in this strip and stating they do not like a website is hardly a big deal. I'm not entirely certain why the reviewer on Polymer or the site in general needs to be protected because Penny arcade doesn't like their site. But then again, I'm an adult now with a full time job and barely have the free time to get bothered about internet feuds anymore. Barely got enough time to read Penny arcade and its comments these days.

"Always do the opposite of what this website recommends" is not really gentle, it's a fundamental denouncement of all of its content. It's not like they need to treat reviews they disagree with nicely, though. It's that the argument presented in this comic and the associated text post is just completely off the mark and that's what I'm commenting on.

Cool that you have a job! I myself also have a full-time job! It's great that you took some of your valuable time to comment about it.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    You get that the “always do the opposite” thing was a joke though right

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's definitely going for "it's funny because it's true" though.

• Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah Tube I get that this is a comic thing, I was just responding to the claim that they were somehow being "gentle", which speaks to a tone of subtlety that Penny Arcade is just not known for. To reiterate, my main thing remains that the the joke in the comic and the argument in the text post are both just embarrassingly off the mark.

Much like the show the Punisher, the comic works if you take it completely in a vacuum. It's funny to see those two characters being ridiculous and curmudgeonly. Then the text post exists to say no, actually, this is for real.
    If I see a review I don’t agree with, it’s my assumption generally that I’m an idiot and there’s something I’ve missed. That’s not my problem with the review I read yesterday. It’s that I don’t recognize the piece of media that’s being discussed anywhere in the review. I don’t even think the review is about the piece of media. I needed an excuse not to go there anymore, a fracture to catalyze a real break, and I appreciate such a crisp point of demarcation.

This being preambled by a whole bit about how you don't owe reviewers your attention shows that this is a stone-serious perspective about Polygon. I hope I have addressed in my previous posts as to how and why I feel that perspective as presented appears to correlate less with the review and more with some kind of internalized issue with Polygon or reviews of that ilk.

Viktor Walters on
  • thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular

"Always do the opposite of what this website recommends" is not really gentle, it's a fundamental denouncement of all of its content. It's not like they need to treat reviews they disagree with nicely, though. It's that the argument presented in this comic and the associated text post is just completely off the mark and that's what I'm commenting on.

Always do the opposite was in the strip. Its just the joke or hyperbole and even for hyperbole it isn't a fundamental denouncement. The news post, which is where the non joke explanation always is, wasn't terribly harsh.
    Cool that you have a job! I myself also have a full-time job! It's great that you took some of your valuable time to comment about it.
    On the job criticism. I didn't think I was bragging so much as saying that like many people, I do not have as much free time as I did when I was in high school. I never said my time was valuable so much as I do not have a lot of it...

This is my full time job and I still don't have enough time for it.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    On the job criticism. I didn't think I was bragging so much as saying that like many people, I do not have as much free time as I did when I was in high school. I never said my time was valuable so much as I do not have a lot of it...

Well. If your time is so short you can't even follow comments very often, then you post on a forum to say that you don't have enough time to even comment... that's sure something, is all.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't think jerry is being particularly scathing towards polygon himself either but I do think he is being an old man, a jerry oldman if you will

PNk1Ml4.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well. If your time is so short you can't even follow comments very often, then you post on a forum to say that you don't have enough time to even comment... that's sure something, is all.

I imagine that was in response to the criticism of people not posting enough to satisfy certain posters and this being conflated with someone posting in bad faith.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't know how I escaped oldman's syndrome. By all that is right and holy, I probably should be turned to dust by Undertale and Youtube shows. I didn't even hate Bieber or One Direction as much as some one my age "ought" to (I had a burning hatred for New Kids on the Block when I was their demographic, though). I'm going to give partial credit for that to cutting the cord on cable 10 years back in addition not being particularly socially networked. When you don't feel "bombarded" by popular culture, I think it's ends up being a lot less annoying.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Given that we're now a week out from this comic and five pages deep, musings that aren't directly related to it (and especially ones that are intended purely to make other forumers feel bad) can go somewhere else.

This reminds me a little of an article I read a while back, with the essayist wondering exasperatedly why Harry Potter was so popular. He asked a literary friend why he read Harry Potter to his son, when he could be reading the new translation of Beowulf saying, "it has the same sort of stuff!" (this was around the time the Seamus Heaney translation came out, so that tells you how long ago I read that article.)

I wondered at the time how anyone could be so blind, why the answer to his question wasn't obvious to the writer. "How could anyone like X when it's so obviously wrong?" Difference of taste. Difference of exposure. Difference of education. Difference of experience. Maybe the people who like things you don't like aren't hellhounds out to destroy everything that's truly good in the world. Maybe if you want more of Y instead of X, you have to create it yourself instead of tearing down people who create X despite your loud disapproval. Maybe even your loud disapproval doesn't matter to the world as much as you wish it did.

• DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered User regular
    Zing!

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm late to this party/comic. I didn't particularly feel that Polygon's take on the show was unwarranted? Like, it has a lot of valid opinions, and I don't necessarily disagree with them, and I'd rank Punisher as my 2nd favorite Netflix show next to Daredevil, and it may be my wife's favorite.

The review is right, the show doesn't know what it wants to be and doesn't know how/where to take an overall stance. It's both a cartoon-y comic book show and also a realistic take on real world issues. I still applaud it for trying, and it's certainly so much more than I ever expected from a Punisher series (I honestly just figured we'd get 13 hours of Prison Fight scenes from Daredevil Season 2, which I was also alright with.)

But, yeah, it's fun to make fun of Polygon and their weird SJW hot takes I guess? I don't know. Kind of makes me disappointed in Penny Arcade to see them dogging on a journalist website for having unpopular opinions, and not like PETA unpopular opinions about like Animal Crossing promoting bestiality or some kind of crazy shit. There's definitely some cognitive dissonance I get sometimes when I read their comics but then hear them "get real" at a Q&A at PAX.

Linktm on
  • Papa RossiPapa Rossi Registered User new member
    This is a strikingly bad take on a good-faith publication that regularly produces valuable and insightful content. I actually still think about this specific entry from time to time, because it marked the point I stopped reading Penny Arcade. One of the appealing aspects of the PA brand to me was how beneath the jokes and occasionally crass humor, there was a sense that it valued a hint of intellectualism and self-awareness in the sphere of gaming culture. I found your dismissal of Polygon's perspective dismaying, as they've obviously worked hard to provide a place for progressive voices and diverse insight within a culture frequently plagued by toxic behavior. There aren't many publications out there that have been able to find success while also embodying those principles so strongly, and there's nothing cool or heroic about dismissing the inclusivity they foster.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.