As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! Infinity War Trailer! Cap's Beard!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    glad we got to see some footage of the brolin urban assault vehicle, I just hope the brolin air raid vehicle can match up

I be loving this shit right here

you know I be lovin it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Actually now that I think about it that tweet is kinda shitty because it suggests that Asian-Americans are "masquerading" as Asian

Speaking as someone who grew up in a Chinese-American family and in a predominantly Asian-American community, I do not know anyone who doesn't recognize Panda Express as "Chinese food but tweaked so white people will like it"
    Isn't that literally the origin of Chinese-American cuisine?

Like, I know it has become it's own thing but it's genesis was absolutely "make this shit palatable to white folks", right? At least according to 2 documentaries I watched, I guess.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Actually now that I think about it that tweet is kinda shitty because it suggests that Asian-Americans are "masquerading" as Asian

Speaking as someone who grew up in a Chinese-American family and in a predominantly Asian-American community, I do not know anyone who doesn't recognize Panda Express as "Chinese food but tweaked so white people will like it"

I mean, most people I talk to will also add "and also garbage", but the people I know like their food to be edible.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    also why are people mad that a guy used a fake name?

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    It isn't that he used a fake name

It is that a white writer actively pretended to be a Japanese man and got hired to write books that he himself was already tasked with editing

And now that man is Editor in Chief of Marvel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    do you think the preponderance of events in new york city helps or hurts the property values

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, most people I talk to will also add "and also garbage", but the people I know like their food to be edible.
    I will eat their Black Pepper Chicken every god damn day and no one can stop me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It's also that instead of coming out and saying "yeah, I did that, it was thirteen years ago and it was stupid and I'm sorry" he says "it's already been dealt with" like anyone actually cares of the internal corporate issue and not the one where he pretended to be a Japanese dude for two years

Add that onto the only comments coming from Marvel on it happen to be coming from their most prominent non-white editor who makes a bunch of weird logical fallacies like the Bendis comparison and it's another clusterfuck from a company that can't stop jamming a fork into an electrical socket every month

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I view Panda Express as any other fast food place.

Not amazing, maybe not even good, but damn delicious if the craving hits you.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I still can't get over that Cebulski's fake Japanese name was Akira Yoshida

Literally the most renowned anime and the last name of the one Japanese X-Man

fuck you

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm glad that a forum that houses the Bad Food Thread still finds a way to be smugly superior w/r/t what food is consumed by people we don't like.

• Options
    Even if you, for some reason, decided to not look at the gross masquerade as a Japanese man (which you should)

He still actively frauded Marvel by pretending to be a writer and getting hired on to write books he was already being paid to edit, which was against company policy and took potential gigs away from writers who weren't already Marvel Editors

And they decided to make him Editor in Chief

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

It is that a white writer actively pretended to be a Japanese man and got hired to write books that he himself was already tasked with editing

who edits the editors

also yeah that is shady as fuck

Xehalus on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I would say that his use of that name and identity goes far beyond the bounds of what is allowed according to proper sobriquetiquette.

• Options

who edits the editors

also yeah that is shady as fuck
    He does, now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I think it'd be great if Infinity War modeled itself after, like, Towering Inferno or Poseidon Adventure

Check in with a bunch of famous, familiar faces, and then start ruthlessly offing them and winnow the cast down to a manageable handful

Also trap them all in a boat

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Has there been any response to the plagiarism allegations, that he not only took potential gigs away from writers who weren't at Marvel but did so using pitches from those writers?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Even if you, for some reason, decided to not look at the gross masquerade as a Japanese man (which you should)

He still actively frauded Marvel by pretending to be a writer and getting hired on to write books he was already being paid to edit, which was against company policy and took potential gigs away from writers who weren't already Marvel Editors

See this part of it is a complete non-issue to me. Who cares if he scammed Marvel for two years if Marvel doesn't care? It's the method of the scamming I have an issue with.

I don't think you can say he literally took jobs away from other writers considering the stuff he wrote was one-off minis that he came up with himself.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I would say that his use of that name and identity goes far beyond the bounds of what is allowed according to proper sobriquetiquette.

Oh extremely

Nobody got mad when Stephen King turned out to be Richard Bachman because Richard Bachman wasn't supposed to be an Asian guy

e: whoops, doublepost

Furu on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Marvel rejected some pitches for one-off minis in 2004

• Options
    edited November 2017

See this part of it is a complete non-issue to me. Who cares if he scammed Marvel for two years if Marvel doesn't care? It's the method of the scamming I have an issue with.

I don't think you can say he literally took jobs away from other writers considering the stuff he wrote was one-off minis that he came up with himself.
    I think it is an issue

Not because he scammed Marvel, I don't care if Marvel gets scammed by a writer

But because he's now the man in charge that A) sends the message that Marvel is cool with their editors doing shady shit like that that could absolutely hurt their freelance hires and B) rewards him for doing so

Like this isn't someone getting one over on the man

This is an already successful dude inside the company deciding to double dip and getting rewarded with the top leadership position for it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Are they saving Thanos' sleeves for the next movie? He looks like a purple beach bum without the regalia we've seen him in. Also I'm not really a fan of the redesign on the makeup from Guardians to this. Otherwise looks great and I hope they don't try and shoehorn everyone into one giant sooper-group. The way the trailer is cut it doesn't seem like that's the case.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's like insider trading for the comics industry

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Oh extremely

Nobody got mad when Stephen King turned out to be Richard Bachman because Richard Bachman wasn't supposed to be an Asian guy

e: whoops, doublepost

Also, didn't King like make up Bachman as a way to test if his work was still any good outside of the name recognition of being an established, successful writer?

• Options
    Thanos is like 3 pro wrestlers now so of course the sleeves go right out the window

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Thanos is like 3 pro wrestlers now so of course the sleeves go right out the window
    Do you think Thanos will chokeslam someone in this film y/n

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Is Fantomex from Quebec?

He's from The World, technically

His fake French accent is a France French accent though

Right, right

Is the World compound? Thing? In Canada like the rest of the weapon x stuff?

The World is an extradimensional space that he carries with him

I think it was originally based in England?

I was going to say Letterkenny Cluster-7 for that mocking CB thing, but letter kenny is a show, not a movie, and it's actually a bot shit, just the first Canadian movie or show I can recall

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I never read any of "Yoshida's" comics but these seem laughably bad in retrospect

• Options

He chokeslams Peter in the trailer!

• Options

They put things in trailers that don't end up in the final film all the time these days

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Looks like it's him choke slamming Spiderman in the trailer. . .WWE crossover confirmed.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

The scene where he gives the Hulk the people’s elbow was a bit over the top to be honest

• Options
    I'm sure they'll cut it for the alternate take where he German suplexes him

• Options
    edited November 2017
    After he discarded the Yoshida identity his first big editorial project?
    w91gfvd45u5q.jpg
    Which he then wrote after the initial run and company policy on editors writing titles was changed

(Ben Dunn is Taiwanese and a real person and also the creator of those HOW TO DRAW MANGA books you saw in Borders all the time)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Screw it, I'm reposting from the movie thread.

https://streamable.com/uvv8b

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

Will Thanos Powerbomb anyone in this film y/n

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

does he have the power stone in this one

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

does he have the power stone in this one

He actually lost his Dreamcast, the whole reason he comes to earth in this one is to get a new one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Team Iron Man

PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.