As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if we start a campaign of saying squats how many of us will get murdered, do you think?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    if we start a campaign of saying squats how many of us will get murdered, do you think?

Would it be a campaign to get squats back as their own army, or to add them as a unit to the Imperial Guard?
    Let them come home to The Emperor, who will welcome his short human children with open arms (so long as they bring their guns to the party).

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is there still Ratings (Ratlings?) in the Imperial Guard?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah ratlings and ogryns are deffo still there.

From what I understand, they could never get the squats to work well and just thought "fuck it, let the nids eat them".

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Squats are already there, with their own fantastic new all plastic model range.

They just called them Kharadron Overlords for some reason.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Just go straight up 50k and reset.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    Yeah ratlings and ogryns are deffo still there.

From what I understand, they could never get the squats to work well and just thought "fuck it, let the nids eat them".

Yeah, that's pretty much my understanding of the squats exit as well. They couldn't come up with a way to make them unique enough to warrant the cost of developing the army further once the game started getting less silly "Fantasy armies in SPAAACE!" and more "Grimdarkness in SPAAACE!" and there wasn't really anyone on staff thrilled with being the one to go to bat for the space dwarfs.

But, I think they could be rolled pretty easily into the Imperial Guard as a slow moving, melee/short ranged, heavily armored infantry unit (assuming the IG is lacking in that). Maybe make some tank upgrade kits to make them more dwarfy with assorted dwarf runes and sculpted ancestral faces and the like (all glorifying and venerating the Emperor, of course). Possibly make them an upgrade in the game rather than just an aesthetic decoration.
    You could even keep with the current fluff where they got eaten by the Tyranids, just add a bit about "the massive rejiggering of the galaxy due to the chaos rift thingy also put a previously lost Squat planet or two back in communication with the Imperium. Once they learned that all their friends and relatives got eaten by space bugs, the dwarves are looking to enlist and get some revenge. The Guard is more than happy to let them on board for some bug hunts, right after we get done with these heretics, the orks over there and an uppity Eldar or two...".

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

The image strikes me of a Space marine with another Space Marine helmet bolted to the top of it.

Space-ception.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I played it straight, told 'em I'm a lapsed fan who left cause the local community and store was downright toxic to deal with, and that tournaments are pretty much the worst.

Might give Necromunda a look though, cause that was always fun.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I played it straight, told 'em I'm a lapsed fan who left cause the local community and store was downright toxic to deal with, and that tournaments are pretty much the worst.

Might give Necromunda a look though, cause that was always fun.

I was that too I up and quit because I really almost punched someone at a game
    I even told them that they were a nano second from getting their ass kicked for what they said.

I really went home put away my 40k stuff and never went back {that store and many others went under in the next year in what I called the hobby shop apocalypse.}

I told them that I relaly just play at home anymore and do the painting modeling stuff since I just got back into it

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    here's a question

if an ork isn't killed in a fight, will it ever stop growing?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Trace wrote: »
    here's a question

if an ork isn't killed in a fight, will it ever stop growing?

In Xenology it's stated they have to keep fighting to keep growing and maintaining it's bulk otherwise it's death and becoming fat
    qcu5psfwh671.png

Yes that orc had another orc's arm graffed onto it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Do works still explode into fungal spores or did they get rid of it?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Is there any theoretical maximum size an ork can attain?
    Would it, in theory, be possible for ork to grow the size of a planet?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I don't think they explode, but Ork spores are still a thing and one reason why they're so hard to get rid of. Also all kinds of Orks, Squigs, etc come from the same spores that develope according to the needs of the local Ork species.

Orks also have genetic memory and skills baked into them and can theoretically mimic other races' technology, or at least that's implied.

They're were basically created by a lost civilisation as a kind of super race as a last chance of winning their galactic war against the Necrons some 60 million years ago. Their gene modification has decayed a bit since then.

• Options
    The Old Ones. Who are the equivalent of the Warhammer Slann/Old Ones. I think they used to be one and the same but they've pushed the two universes into their own separate thing.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

The largest Orks ever encountered were the Prime Orks during the war of the beast, one was encounterd the size of a “hab block” so we’re talking at least 40-60ft. They were also capable of speaking perfect Gothic, which implies Orks get more intelligent as they get larger too.

• Options
    Thankfully the orks have never got their shit together since, or the Imperium would be properly fucked

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Thankfully the orks have never got their shit together since, or the Imperium would be properly fucked

I should bet good money Ghazskull is going down this route.

• Options
    Stuff like that really makes me want some background and artwork for the Eldar and Krork during the C'tan - Old Ones wars.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

I should bet good money Ghazskull is going down this route.

He's the closest thing current 40K has to a Beast level Ork but I can't see him getting there anytime soon

By 40K standards, there has been a MASSIVE jump forward in the plot.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I love Ghazghkull

head butted a warp rift close, literally

• Options

The largest Orks ever encountered were the Prime Orks during the war of the beast, one was encounterd the size of a “hab block” so we’re talking at least 40-60ft. They were also capable of speaking perfect Gothic, which implies Orks get more intelligent as they get larger too.

After reading the article on the Beast War, that clan of Orks was brown pants paralyzing for the rest of the Imperium. They not only had titanic strength and numbers, using attack moons and warriors that were match for Primarches, but had social evolution to include Ork diplomats and Ork priests. They were also largely responsible along with the Horus Heresy for making the Imperium such a theocratic hellhole.

• Options

After reading the article on the Beast War, that clan of Orks was brown pants paralyzing for the rest of the Imperium. They not only had titanic strength and numbers, using attack moons and warriors that were match for Primarches, but had social evolution to include Ork diplomats and Ork priests. They were also largely responsible along with the Horus Heresy for making the Imperium such a theocratic hellhole.

I wonder if there's an Emperork

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Wouldn't that be the Beast?

• Options

There was more than one. I think 6 that ran the Ork empire together

• Options

I mean they were just noted as being, ahem, Primorks.

• Options
    Patched Up By Mad Dok Grotsnik (851.999.M41) - Although he doesn’t show it in front of the Boyz, Ghazghkull's fight with the Mawloc had come close to finishing him off. He suffered the worst injuries he had sustained since taking a Leman Russ Tank Battle Cannon round in the midriff. Acid burns had eaten away at his armour, scouring his flesh. Worse still, a large spine of some sort would have to be removed -- it had pierced his Mega Armour and penetrated his body. Harder than bone, the enormous spike will not come out no matter how many Nobz Mad Dok Grotsnik has helping to pull it. In a flash of genius the Dok brings in Orkimedes, who suggests removing the spike via traktor beam. This does not draw out the object, but does vacuum up a good portion of Ghazghkull's guts temporarily, which have to be hastily reversed before he notices. At long last, with the aid of a buzzsaw and a Deff Dread with Magna-Claw grips, they manage to removed the enormous spike. To everyone's amazement Ghazghkull "takes it easy" for at least a solar hour or two before growling orders in his normal ferocious tone. Later that day, when he headbutts a Squiggoth that will not get out of his way, everyone knows their Warlord is recovered.

I love Ghazghkull.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Nice:

Games Workshop's shares rose after the once-troubled model figure retailer's latest trading update showed it had a bumper half year.

The Nottingham-based retailer, which is known for its model figures, saw its share price rise 7.5pc after it reported operating profit of £38m in the six months to November 26. That figure was £13.8m for the same period last year.

Games Workshop's revenues also rose by 54pc to £109m, putting the company on track to meet its expectations for the year ending June 3, 2018, it said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/01/games-workshop-profits-soar-retailers-rebound-continues/

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Well yeah. Someone buys a 1500 point 40k army and their stocks go up a few points.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

The image strikes me of a Space marine with another Space Marine helmet bolted to the top of it.

Space-ception.

So... a Centurion?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Centurions are just so damn goofy.

Wearing armor over armor isn't without historical precedent but good god they just look so silly.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    still better than the Dreadknight.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    It's the dangley legs that's the kicker.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    They tried to combine an APU (from the Matrix sequels) and the load lifter (from Aliens) and just didn't pull it off.

I mean, I think if instead of a baby carrier they had actually armored the pilot, that would've been nice.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Am I looking at the right centurions?
    Because the images I pull up look like the unholy offspring of a drunken bender with a Space Marine, a heavy tank or two and a ton of bricks. Or possibly a Space Marine cosplaying as a dreadnought.

Now, the Space Marine Dreadknight... yeah, that's a baby carrier going on there that could really stand some up armoring.

• Options
    Centurions thought they were the new hotness until Primaris Aggressors came out

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    They were, I like them and i want to paint mine now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Can I get a somewhat-concise summary of that the Deal With The Tau is now?

They're a bunch of not-exactly-Mind Controlled aliens, with other aliens in confederation with them, who believe they're acting for the Greater Good and in fact mostly sorta-are?

• Options
    The greater good!

This discussion has been closed.