As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Beauty and the Beast & Village Victory!

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Gotta find those last wolf puppies before worrying about Belle

VayBJ4e.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I'll be over here confused.

Am I correct bin that there are only 5 of us left?

...fuck I haven't been paying attention since dying and with my role me and one other person can lock down a vote.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Am I correct bin that there are only 5 of us left?

...fuck I haven't been paying attention since dying and with my role me and one other person can lock down a vote.

discrider
    Grunt's Ghosts
    H3Knuckles
    jdarksun
    MrTLicious
    Virgil_Leads_You
    Phoniex D

VayBJ4e.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Presupposing there was a good reason to bring Phoenix back I guess that just leaves us three options: discrider or mr. t or Virgil?

jdarksun on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Wasn't there something funny about MrTLicious
    Something about a bite not adding up, that sounds vicious.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    :/

First, MrT's bite being cured thing was reported by MrT soon after narration that night.
    It was unsolicited information, and read more to me that it was a PM from the host.
    I'm less willing to trust Jdark's 'Belle healed me' claim.

Further, has anyone else been cured of rabies without player intervention?
    My thought was we lost a rabies wolf, and so the rabies was then no longer being controlled and died out.
    We lost a(nother?) rabies wolf last night, so if this is what is happening other people should be healed shortly

Second, MrTs vote record has been pretty good.
    He was early on the early vote trains that caught werewolves.

I'd much prefer voting for virgil over MrT

discrider on
    I died which apparently stops rabies. I did get asked about my hunger for the living but I pointed out my mostly Alice status and haven't heard a thing yet.

Virgil for now since my vote isn't as hard hitting as I thought. Open to argument either way.

Discrider

You are really passionate steering the vote my way,
    with a claim I really can't do much with,
    regarding my predecessor's inactivity during turkeyday flu week,
    the same period a wolf left the vote target ungobbled.

It really feels like a planned out excuse being pursued rather than a fellow villager's guess

VayBJ4e.png
    edited November 2017
    Well, you also have a terrible vote record, or at least have seemed to vote the wrong way all the time.
    For instance, you voted SeGa the other day.
    But it's hard to hold you to it when everything is obscured.

This was SeGa v LostNinja.
    Lostninja's last minute reveal was unfortunate however, and it seems like it might have been village v village that day.
    Or he could be trying to throw us.
    Idk.

discrider on
    Again, I don't know who has a good vote record.
    How the heck would you?

That's tripping alarm bells beyond the vote on me

VayBJ4e.png
    Yes, you have a terrible vote record based on my interpretation of what a good vote record should look like.
    Yes, I of course have no idea.
    This is why I've been backing it up with the other stuff, and why the other stuff seems to be a stronger argument to me.

Not to mention: I also have stronger cases for every other player being villager (aside Phoenix).

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

Virgil

MrT: as per my reasoning above
    Jdark: being a pedant with his spreadsheet
    H3: not realising the guard was blocking mafia kills
    GG: part of the 'seen' group, also likely guarded night when that was announced and no b mafia kill

Good luck guys

VayBJ4e.png
    ^ Probable village reasons
    Phoenix and Virgil don't have anything I've been able to point to.

Virgil

Brofist

VayBJ4e.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Day Eight: Surely there could be no penalties to meddling with such a malign power

The town had a heated last minute discussion but decided to kill Virgil_Leads_You. Although his yarn based human costume was quite convincing, the tail and jaw were dead giveaways to the observant villager. Belle stabbed his corpse over and over and over.

At the encouragement of the town, our hero set out to accomplish the impossible. But what was out of reach in a time of beasts and supernatural wolves? Singular, unsettling tales suggested that the book covered in occult symbols and wrapped in some sort of exotic leather had a fabulous and unnamable power within. With relic and ritual he bent every effort to the recovery of its secrets, although conventional wisdom held that reading and thinking were dangerous pastimes. As the hour of midnight arrived, the torches were lit, the blood was spilled, and a darkness that breathed pulsed. The birds screeched and flew away, lightning flashed, thunder crashed, and all was silent.

The Dead:
    Virgil_Leads_You - Hungry Wolf The Vote

By hateful curse or malign miracle, it seems even death may be defied in this damnable place:

Phyphor - Beast

The wolf pack had been slain, and peace returned to the town.

Belle was calmed by the return of her love and although they had initially plotted to murder everyone who stood in the way of their love, with the town going the extra mile and raising the dead for them, they had decided to stop slaughtering townsfolk. And the Beast was granted Human form and all manner of objects turned into people which was mildly awkward for some. HOORAY!

And surely there would be no further consequence to LeFou's communing with an antediluvian evil.

Game Over Village & Beauty and The Beast Victory!

The Victorious Living:

jdarksun - Belle
    Phyphor - Beast
    Grunt's Ghosts - Inventor
    H3Knuckles - LeFou
    discrider - Shepherd
    MrTLicious - Barber
    Phoenix-D - Mediator

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    gg!

Thanks for running 38th! I especially liked how the name of the Phalla changed every 2-3 days.

So uh.... who were the mafia?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Yayyyy!
    We didn't accidentally bring a wolf back to life!

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hooray!

Well, at least I got to take out Gaston

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Me, ahava/Virgil, LostNinja, JayKaos, Preda, RomanticUndead, Baidol

We/I hosed up Day 1 orders, so the death hide didn’t fire, and my role block didn’t stop premium’s kill.

Put us in a bit of a hole right away. Either the Vig or the Beast took out most of the key targets. We only got premium and then random villagers I think

AustinP0027 on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    kime wrote: Β»
    gg!

Thanks for running 38th! I especially liked how the name of the Phalla changed every 2-3 days.

So uh.... who were the mafia?

Me
    Austin
    JayKaos
    Virgil/Ahava
    Romantic Undead
    Baidol
    Preda

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    sorry for the shameless arguements, lies, and attacks.
    Least fun bits of being mafia.
    I hope the game was exciting for some folk though!

VayBJ4e.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Host notes to follow soon.
    jdarksun wrote: Β»
    @38thDoe Psst did GG bite it, or did he make it to the end of the game too?

Oh crap, yeah he survived. I had him as dead because the mafia group attack hit him, but vote should have stopped that. Let me fix.

38thDoE on steam

Obviously I just need to vote for all the mafia all the time.
    Admittedly having family visit who I can't talk to, and being confined to my room helps somewhat...

Proboard: http://themoonmoons.proboards.com

I think I unlocked it.

I LIVE. Somehow.

So the place I've done these before doesn't allow PMs between players in most cases; that messed with me a lot :) I think o was way off most of the game.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I was a bad seer. I missed the first two days of seering because I wasn't paying attention to the time. And I only hit villagers and Belle. But I did get the Beast alive, so... Not bad as the seer.

edited December 2017
    So was the Beast just another Village vig early on or were they a SK? They were mostly helping us, but their kills were confused with ours for most of the game.

LostNinja on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Gj everyone who figured bits of the game out, wasn't the most effective guard as everyone kept assuming I didn't exist but tried to help out. Thanks for running it 38th

PSN SeGaTai
    I was a bad seer. I missed the first two days of seering because I wasn't paying attention to the time. And I only hit villagers and Belle. But I did get the Beast alive, so... Not bad as the seer.

Ya keep villagers alive and won

Ya did great!
    Remember just about everyone was inactive, you good.

VayBJ4e.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    As the person responsible for administering rabies I'm still not sure how rabies worked. One person got healed by Belle and one got healed at random right?

But yeah, the messup with the orders day 1(I quoted the orders post when everyone else was editting it so it looked like my older post was newer) hurt us a bit but I think we did a good job. Shout-out to LostNinja for finding much better ways to use the anonymous messages than I did last game - in case nobody's figured it out, the speech restrictions were entirely made up.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    So. These never go the way I think they will. The mafia was hindered by a day 1 order confusion, and the village was hindered by inactivity and some missed orders from the seer. I really wanted to have no hard seer as I worry about having two seers. Especially after kime's game I was pretty certain how Gaston's ability use would go. I didn't anticipate public seering. My solution was to just have Gizzy reveal in narration, but it seemed unfair to punish Gizzy for the village's choices so I warned her that the next public success would reveal her and gave her the private seering.

Sorry to the guards and vigs, but I gave the mafia a one time kill that came before the guard.

Having the Beast kill Gaston was hilarious. Lefou became backup gaston if all village vigs were killed.

The mafia had a send anonymous actions power which really, I've never seen used so effectively. At one point they messaged a villager saying to kill the Beast known as Phyphor. Just trying to get a vote on a villager. Of course they messaged @Lucedes and she killed Phyphor who was in actuality the Beast. What are the odds on that one?! All of the post restriction powers were really just anonymous messages, so they didn't need to be followed at all. @kime asked me a lot of questions about the legality of the "post restriction" which were hard to answer as there was no post restriction.

No one was worried @Phoenix-D came back wrong.

This whole game was born out of my love for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0

I'm not sure why I decided I needed to obscure the theme, it may have been related to this post.

I wanted a darker take on the tale than the standard disney fare, wolves as mafia worked, Beast as a SK. I thought about making him have to find Belle or kill everyone to win, maybe have him able to convert people to his side by starving them out and then having their corpse animated as an object as part of the castle's curse. I couldn't get the balance right and it stagnated for months. @Egos suggested the tag team SK pair which I thought was a perfect solution.

I know it seems like I just love to CD things, but really there is a level of knowledge of things I'm comfortable with everyone having to make the game work well. I don't want anyone to act on their powers without asking and then get upset if they find out things don't work as they thought and their plans are undone. Generally I want everyone to have a good time.

So I'm okay with clarifying on that aspect. Clarification as an investigation to find out more than you need to know is probably going to be denied. ie specific lists, are there specific roles in play, questions about other people's roles. And really I think a lot of questions about things try to puzzle out if there are roles in play.

If that makes sense.

Sometimes not knowing the full details of your role is a check on your role.

I feel like this game was pretty successful as far as giving people things to talk about other than accusations. You have no idea how happy I was we had many days without inactivity. Really great to see as a host. I totally understand being busy though and real life coming first.

I did watch the live action version of Beauty and the Beast as a result of recommendations here. I don't know. I don't feel that it cleared up any plot holes. Also they cut out some of the best lines in the songs: Every last inch of me's covered in hair(made into an ability this game) and We don't like what we don't understand/ in fact it scares us and this castle is mysterious at best. Live action Gaston's vocal range is not as good as animated Gaston. I couldn't figure out who ewan mcgregor was until the credits. His talents are wasted giving him a crazy accent and crazy costuming imo.

As always please let me know what you liked and what you didn't so I can make a better game next time.

38thDoE on steam

Jdark was Belle
    I think he may have been healed the same way as MrT

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: Β»
    Hooray!

Well, at least I got to take out Gaston

Boooooooo!!!!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine