As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[South Park]? They still make that?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I feel like this episode was a bit on the nose. Previous seasons would have been subtler about the allegories, methinks. There's definitely cogent social commentary there but they made the old folks' home too obviously prison-like from the jump.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This episode has the best Heidi/Cartman plot to date. There's a lot of potential in putting Eric in sitcom like situations because he doesn't know how to react (and he was justified in this point with Heidi so you actually empathize with him for once)

This wasn't as good as Gangnamstein for a Halloween episode but I liked how they made these witch....pursuits allude to different things on either side of the argument.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Yeah they actually made Eric and Heidi more engaging this episode but she still needs to be more fleshed out as a character instead of just the butt of jokes.

Having said that Jack and Crack Witch Weekend is just a hilarious idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disappointing episode, and it felt like Matt & Trey are still salty about last year. They had nice bits of showing why people double down in their metaphor but it never gets anywhere and they sort of chicken out by going with a predictable Cartman/Kyle response and gong light on Kyle trying to be Nice Guy (TM). Plus it felt odd trying to connect the Heidi thing to Trump when we saw how the relationship started to begin with, on top of doing something original with the relationship in the previous episode. Also way to just lampshade the memberberries, boo, boo Trey Parker boo.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Last night's episode was really good when you peel the layers back.

Whole thing is a reflection of trump and the election. Heidi is the trump voter who thinks shes made a mistake, is mocked for admitting her mistake and doubles down to become a racist by the end of the episode. The very first jump toGarrison from the episode is when connection starts. The episode makes a hard point that if we don't forgive people for mistakes, why would they ever admit them? If you admit your mistake, but are rejected and mocked by the group you are admitting a fault too, you feel like you can't be part of that group and double down on your believes because your an outcast otherwise.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

Whole thing is a reflection of trump and the election. Heidi is the trump voter who thinks shes made a mistake, is mocked for admitting her mistake and doubles down to become a racist by the end of the episode. The very first jump toGarrison from the episode is when connection starts. The episode makes a hard point that if we don't forgive people for mistakes, why would they ever admit them? If you admit your mistake, but are rejected and mocked by the group you are admitting a fault too, you feel like you can't be part of that group and double down on your believes because your an outcast otherwise.

I dont know, while I agree with the sentiment, it's very difficult to just accept someone just because they've suddenly had a change of heart. There's a case to be made for making people lie in the bed they made.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    That's the way I took it too. I thought it was a great episode that had a good message, people mess up and we need to forgive and forget.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think theyn eed to drop the message stuff, it just doesn't seem to work well anymore. Both The Fractured But Whole and Phone Destroyer are really good episodes of South Park and they deal with the kids being kids except to an extreme degree.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This started off a little cringe-worthy, but I was converted by the end (well, halfway).

Mitch McConnell had the best line:
    "I don't know anything I'm just a turtle."

Pink Elephants on Parade was great.

Cartman remains a monster.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    This started off a little cringe-worthy, but I was converted by the end (well, halfway).

Mitch McConnell had the best line:
    "I don't know anything I'm just a turtle."

Pink Elephants on Parade was great.

Cartman remains a monster.

I'm actually surprisingly interested in Heidi's transformation into a lady Cartman, and just how far it'll actually go. He's already got her gaining weight and being racist.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Damn there was a new ep? Stupid pvr , also a little bummed to hear Heidi becoming cartman and not vice versa. Especially since Kyle been on the downslope a while too. Would be fun to get a season of good cartman vs bad kyle

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

While I certainly agree with Matt and Trey's point of don't be a dick to people who've made a mistake, I feel like this is pretty much a given, because there's little cause to be a dick to anyone, for any reason. In addition, the Backfire Effect is a thing, so entrenching people into bad positions is never helpful in the long run, if you're goal is to get people to support whatever it is you espouse.

That said, if someone you know has made a mistake looks to be turning over a new leaf, it is up to them to show with their actions, not their words, that they've changed course. They've squandered the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Heidi thing is getting super old. Like, we get it. Write some new jokes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I knew what to expect from Heidi but it still made me laugh.

• Options
    The episode felt like a waste of Nathan, who is great (he should show up in the But Whole DLC). And they kind of briefly hinted at but then avoided any kind of Weinstein/Hollywood stuff with regards to chicks and power which was a bit sad.

The episode was fine, but nothing stood out. They need to speed up Heidi's voice if they want to make her lady Cartman, it felt like a weak imitation that people used to do of Cartman back when the show was first on the air.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Did anyone else google water bears only to be surprised to find out that they are apparently a real thing?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I did like the "She's like Cartman...but with actual follow through" and PC Principal reaction.

Also South Park doesn't get enough credit for treating its handicapped characters with respect (or at least as much as any other character gets in the show)

Kyougu on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Did anyone else google water bears only to be surprised to find out that they are apparently a real thing?

Man Water Bears are amazing little things. They're my favorite nigh-immortal tiny lifeforms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I'm actually surprisingly interested in Heidi's transformation into a lady Cartman, and just how far it'll actually go.

So, all the way, apparently.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I've been playing too much South Park: The Fractured but Whole, I totally thought Kyle was about to get into a fight when he stepped on that grid-lined carpet in Strong Woman's office. Also liked the callback to the film, with Millennials Against Canada and the Canadian minister. I'm fairly sure it's the same one from the film.

• Options
    that was a very good episode that did a nice job showing the outrage cycle, making fun of Netflix acquiring talent from people past their prime, and Kyle's true motivation (this seems like it was somewhat taken from last season to try and put the final touches on). Plus I just like it when Kyle's preachiness results in such drastic actions, look what you did, Kyle.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Kyle forgot who his President was.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Hey what the hell did Canada do?

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Hey what the hell did Canada do?

Oh man, what don't we do.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I loved the stuff with PC Principal having music in his head. Cartman Heidi is already getting kindof old. I did enjoy the callbacks to the movie. One of the better sodes of the season.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I enjoy having Heidi featured more...but maybe that's just because she's a great card in Phone Destroyer.

Great episode overall.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    The movie callbacks were really good and mixed in with Kyle getting told that he's turning into his mom.

Also Miss Conduct is really cute.

• Options
    This episode was great from beginning to end. I was in stitches at the end when Hootie and Blowfish started playing again.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Oh man, I can't wait a week after that! not fair, I was in tears during that ending.

edit: Is it just a Canadian thing that one of the things I love most about South Park is getting trashed by them? It's always been the only Canada bashing that never felt lazy, like they put effort into shitting on us and I love it

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This was a great episode. Probably my favorite of the whole season.

• Options
    So was that the season finale? Are they only doing 10 eps per year?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    This episode had me laughing the whole time. Loved
    Ike turning into a mountie and the Fox Trap.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    This episode had me laughing the whole time. Loved
    Ike turning into a bounty and the Fox Trap.
    The Whites (literally everything about the Whites), bad 80s music, people freaking out about co-workers hooking up

But I loved loved loved the line that Heidi delivered, "I let being a victim become my way of life. And if you always make yourself the victim, you can justify being awful."

• Options
    Don't forget the conversation during the town hall meeting where they make it clear their censors made them pull a joke.

• Options
    It was okay, but I thought last week was better. The second half of the season was the stronger half, I thought. It's going to be a long year until next Fall.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Here is the Promo video for the next season, starting 9/26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3QLNw8Woow

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    It's back!

Wonder if there will be continuity this season.

• Options
    PC Principal just sounds like Randy now.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Eh. Not sure about this one.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Don't you dare degrade PC Principal!