As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Secret Santa 2017

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    I didn't know there was a Star trek rpg!

I only heard about it recently, from the SE++ tabletop thread, but it's gotten a lot of love over there. I'm looking forward to cracking this one open.
    Shortly before SecretSanta signups started up.

There's a SE++ tabletop thread? Man this thread is full of gifts from everyone!

It's like 80% RPG stuff but can be good to follow.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I will be out of town today and tomorrow, so I will be able to send out my gift sometime next week.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    santee, my elves have informed me that the partridge should be in the pear tree by now. please confirm before i have to declare figgy pudding. shapeimage_10.png

As has my rogue trader. He confirms delivery of part 1 of said goods yesterday.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I have been gifted, but there was no note or indication of my Santa's identity.
    So, time to get the Christmas Tribble off of his mantle perch and put him to work.

Seems especially apt this year.
    7kbu3iu632wm.jpg

Thank you, Mystery Santa. Step forth and accept your promotion to honorary designated sacrificial redshirt.

Aha, time to sweep aside my festive disguise, 'twas me that did the deed!
    I hope you like it, @see317 that games looks super fun even to me who isn't wholly familiar with Star Trek.
    Fret not about the lack of Xmas missive; the ordering company didn't have an option to add a note that I could see, but parcel number 2 does contain a card, and should be showing up, er, at some point, hopefully, it's in the post!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I didn't know there was a Star trek rpg!

I only heard about it recently, from the SE++ tabletop thread, but it's gotten a lot of love over there. I'm looking forward to cracking this one open.
    Shortly before SecretSanta signups started up.

There's a SE++ tabletop thread? Man this thread is full of gifts from everyone!
    @ArcSyn
    Here's a link, since SE++ naming standards might not make it easy to find:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/214450/phasers-and-pseudopods-how-to-win-at-3d-chess-and-other-tabletop-games

Also, the 40k thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/215002/they-advanced-the-plot-warhammer-40k-casual-lore/p1

@Halos Nach Tariff , Thanks for the book. I was up way too late last night (well, technically way too early this morning) reading it.
    Fun thing; the book has built in ribbon bookmarks. Why is this not a thing for more RPG Books? I've got a half dozen pieces of notepad stuck in my D&D PHB, having the ribbon bookmarks looks so much nicer.

To my Santee: wrapping, addressing, noting and packing is complete. All that remains is to deliver it to the gift cannoneers so they can do their job.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    GiftGet4b_zpsb34314b9.gif
    IMG_4984-960.jpg
    IMG_4985-960.jpg
    IMG_4986-960.jpg

Thank you friendly Neighborhood Secret Santa! This is great because I probably would not have bought an epic ship for myself. But I love me some Scyks!

So... part 2 I guess?
    IMG_5025-960.jpg
    IMG_5026-960.jpg

Some wing men for the first box, got the start of a small fleet here, this was super generous, THANK YOU!

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Edit. Nm

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Attn: Home Office
    Supervisory Agent CF Santa alerted this agent to expect a parcel by dead-drop containing briefing materiel.
    Rec'd parcel at 2320 hrs after locating drop area.
    Historical data and additional context regarding current assignment greatly appreciated.
    Sender anonymous, understandable given threat.

sormoq299c15.jpg

Seriously, thanks a bunch, whoever fired this off. I'm literally about to start running a game of this and the extra goodies won't hurt at all.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    That was me!

I hope you can get the Director's Handbook also, for the trifecta. If I hadn't been out of work for three weeks and missing pay, I'd have gotten it too.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    That was me!

I hope you can get the Director's Handbook also, for the trifecta. If I hadn't been out of work for three weeks and missing pay, I'd have gotten it too.

Don't sweat it - I really appreciate it! I sat the last couple of these out because car repair kept being A Thing for me in November / December; I know how it is.

Hope you get the work situation sorted out soon!

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Edit: Looks like these gifts came from the wrong secret santa. My CF santa is still on the loose...

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

I discovered a package from Amazon on my front porch (Sunday!?), which was delightful because I had just thrown my back out for the very first time today! Old man status confirmed.
    Starbuck inspects the new intruder for potential scratchability and Mimic detection.
    Fun Fact: the box on the right in the background contains the gifts I'm sending out to my own Santee for this exchange. What's inside? Only one of you will find out!
    qFImkTa.jpg?2

Now that the threat is cleared, let's check the note!
    jWFal92.jpg?3
    Why, I do like space guys fighting things! How did you know?

Look what we have here!
    eiAKGrq.jpg?1
    Caramel popcorn, which my partner is already munching on even as I type this (consensus: yummy)!
    A set of wooden puzzle objects!
    Cry Havoc!

The box also included a receipt for a collection of bracket hardware, but I doubt that was intended to be part of the gift. The note didn't mention who the sender is, so please make yourself known so we can all raise a glass to how awesome you are. Thank you, Santa!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Cry Havoc / assorted stuff was me - I ran out of lines on the gift note.

I had it narrowed down to that or Tyrants of the Underdark after looking at your BGG list and gift ideas; when I looked at your activity in the Destiny threads and saw you had more sci-fi stuff around than fantasy, that swung it.

The puzzles are kind of a go-to gift for me in real life; I really like the old 3d-style ones.

I have no idea about the bracket hardware; that's probably on Amazon.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Gift received!
    f6e5yozynrh1.jpg

Got these sweet looking dice from my Santa, who has chosen to remain anonymous. Thanks mystery person!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Package away!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Gift sent! Mwahaha.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    @Auralynx My GF noticed that I had opened Cry Havoc to punch out / bag everything (it helpfully came with a ton of baggies) and now has proclaimed that we will be playing it tomorrow night. I need to study up on the rules tout de suite.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Auralynx My GF noticed that I had opened Cry Havoc to punch out / bag everything (it helpfully came with a ton of baggies) and now has proclaimed that we will be playing it tomorrow night. I need to study up on the rules tout de suite.

I've only played it once or twice myself. It's a little deep, but not tremendously so, and there's enough room to think and variety in the various races' techs and options to make it interesting, I think.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited December 2017

A wild package appears!
    gghFfl1l.jpg
    The address wasn't your usual USPS or UPS Amazon fare, so it wasn't something I had ordered. So to the Christmas tree and open up the camera app!

UoY5zool.jpg
    A note!
    Merry Christmas, :ArcSyn avatar:
    It's your Critical Failures Secret Santa here, delivering your helping of Christmas cheer in the form of a large bag of Christmas themed taffy, because it's kind of a tradition for me. I hope you've enjoyed the Humble Bundle games that I sent over earlier.
    Beyond that, I can only hope you're not looking for a theme to the contents of this box, because unless you count "random stuff my Santa thought looked kind of neat" you'll be disappointed. On the other hand, if you do count that as a theme, then I've got some good news for you!

Spoilers follow, so if you want to be surprised, stop reading here until you get done with the whole unwrapping thing. If you don't mind spoilers, lay on, MacDuff.

Spoilers! At Christmas! Never, so I put the note down and started into the box.

6C9C16wl.jpg
    Yummy goodies! The taffy alone gives me a good clue as to who sent this box, and my children and I immediately dig in and enjoy a few pieces. I'm currently eating the chocolate orange, as I am the only one who likes them, and haven't had one in years.
    First, there's the taffy. As mentioned, it's a tradition to send it out. Also, a chocolate orange, because they're also delicious.
    The jelly beans though, man, I've had these before. I've been burned bad by these. Had a pack once that had 1 good flavor it in. Every other one was disgusting. I think I'll hold onto these until family is in town for Christmas and then put them out during games. See who is brave enough.

3aKrvPZl.jpg
    Puzzle! I love these things. I learned how to do the horseshoe puzzle in Jr. High, then my parents got me the 3 horseshoe puzzle and I got that figured out, and I've had all sorts of little bits and toys of puzzles. I've seen these Hanayama puzzles and have been wanting to get my hands on one! This one is apparently level 5 (of 6), so they aren't joking around. I haven't solved it yet. EDIT: UPDATE BELOW
    Also, a little metal puzzle. Mostly because they're fun to fidget with and shiny. And I'm easily distracted by shiny objects.

49NyK7tl.jpg
    Alien game! This must have been the choice I was given. Kids are excited about this one, as am I. I didn't even know this game existed, so that's fun!
    Finally, the promised adventure: Survive Space Attack!

5V7aexPl.jpg
    What? Bears vs Babies?! I don't even understand this and I'm absolutely curious. The back of the box (which is fuzzy) doesn't tell you much more, but you're greeted with "An eagle, that is also a taco"!
    T1nZGNhl.jpg
    Also a copy of a game that looked amusing. I mean, building bears to maul babies, what more could a person want?

3dBItbMl.jpg
    A 3D wind up helicopter racer! This looks like it will be fun to build and keep on my desk. Or immediately repossessed by my boys.

YE8Pohal.jpg
    Red Tide! The perfect mix of my love of tabletop games and ping pong and Penny Arcade! I wish they had created more decks of this, and actually just was able to talk to Kiko about it at PAXU. I wouldn't hold my breath.

z6T4fdHl.jpg
    A hippo! A hippo?
    PS: Also, a hippo. I have it on good authority that you wanted one for Christmas.

Either santa has been listening in on my children at my house, santa? Are you listening? Or perhaps...
    Wait a minute...
    mpgQ5OXl.jpg
    My santa is also doing double-duty this year!

The gifts!
    2ccUjVSl.jpg

The kids!
    SEfeUYsl.jpg

So, who is this mysterious santa?
    Why it is none other than :drumroll:
    nGROH8UXSZEEB.gif
    @see317!

How funny after that comment made back in October you would get me for the CF SS?! Thanks for not getting the huge plushie though, my wife would have killed me.

edit: Haha!
    CH90IOPl.jpg
    I have dismantled the puzzle!

edit2: Success!
    HDb8um2l.jpg
    I have reassembled the puzzle!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    8vznryfykwgk.jpg

What's this? I come home from from work to find a mysterious parcel fresh from the foetid and labyrinthine depths of Her Majesty's Royal Mail service, how curious, what could it be?

nstu7gsp9nq3.jpg

Why, it is nothing less than a box of dangerous delinquents from the dark future, what fun!
    I have a lot of these ladies to build now, and I'm looking forwards to it!

My thanks, mysterious benefactor.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Glad to see it made it there safely, @ArcSyn .
    I always stress out when sending packages, like what if this is the year I get the address labels swapped between the boxes and didn't notice until it was too late? And i have to explain to my Santees that they got the wrong presents, and if they'd be so kind to readdress the presents I'll send them money to cover shipping.
    it hasn't happened yet, but there's always that little voice whispering "But maybe this year it does".

If you're interested, the other options where
    1: The Walking Dead boardgame
    2: Survive Space Attack!
    3: The Undercity
    4: Mechwarrior starter

So, Merry Christmas to you. Hope you enjoy the games and the assorted other random stuff I picked up because it caught my eye.

And yeah, once I saw who I got, there was no way a hippo wasn't getting put in that box.

see317 on
  • Options
    They're great! I need to practice the puzzle a bit, as I can't smoothly take it apart or put it back together. Not sure if I'm slightly off on my solution. Games look fun, and I enjoy the choice I got. I think it will see more play with the kids and my usual game group than the others.

Thank you so much!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    8vznryfykwgk.jpg

What's this? I come home from from work to find a mysterious parcel fresh from the foetid and labyrinthine depths of Her Majesty's Royal Mail service, how curious, what could it be?

nstu7gsp9nq3.jpg

Why, it is nothing less than a box of dangerous delinquents from the dark future, what fun!
    I have a lot of these ladies to build now, and I'm looking forwards to it!

My thanks, mysterious benefactor.

It me. I apologize, but the gifting options were limited due to me being in Texas. I thought I had it all sorted with Amazon International, but these lovely ladies were only sold by third party merchants. I hope my Forum stalking was able to correctly determine a suitable gift.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Gift received...again?!
    o67huwgfftai.jpg

It's the 2nd Adventure Deck for Mummy's Mask! My playgroup is almost done with the base set so it'll be a while before we get to this one but AAAHH I CAN'T WAIT

Thank you so much @ArcSyn !

• Options
    Wait you have the first one, right? Did I misread something?

Anyway, enjoy and Merry Christmas!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Wait you have the first one, right? Did I misread something?

Anyway, enjoy and Merry Christmas!

No, you got it right. There's a base adventure path and it comes with the first deck to play after you finish the base set.

• Options
    Another package?!
    ts0dsnki3rq2.jpg

The Character Add-On Deck! Now this one we can use right away!

@ArcSyn Thank you so much! Again!

• Options
    I definitely thought those two shipped together, so yesterday when you got the one I had to double check my shipping numbers. Lol.

Once UPS figures out how to deliver packages to my house, the final package will be sent. Apparently my house is one number off from an apartment complex, so they keep thinking it's missing an apartment number. (1007 vs 1107)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I have been gifted, but there was no note or indication of my Santa's identity.
    So, time to get the Christmas Tribble off of his mantle perch and put him to work.

Seems especially apt this year.
    7kbu3iu632wm.jpg

Thank you, Mystery Santa. Step forth and accept your promotion to honorary designated sacrificial redshirt.

Aha, time to sweep aside my festive disguise, 'twas me that did the deed!
    I hope you like it, @see317 that games looks super fun even to me who isn't wholly familiar with Star Trek.
    Fret not about the lack of Xmas missive; the ordering company didn't have an option to add a note that I could see, but parcel number 2 does contain a card, and should be showing up, er, at some point, hopefully, it's in the post!
    Parcel 2 was almost delivered yesterday, but I didn't hear the postal worker when they knocked at my door. Or maybe I did hear and decided to ignore it. Who knows?
    So, this morning involved a run to the local post office to pick it up and sign for it.

Inside was a very nice Christmas card, as well as a picture of my Jaeger Cyclopean Junket bringing the hurt in @Halos Nach Tariff's Pacific Rim RPG that she ran... wow... was that really four years ago? Time flies when you're having fun, even when that fun doesn't involve punching giant monsters in their giant faces with giant robots.

I wish I could take a picture of this (and hope that Halos got a scan before packing it up and shipping it off) but right now it's resting under a couple bags of taffy so I can try to flatten it out a bit.
    I'll need to hit a store up to get a frame for this, but that's gonna wait a bit. One of the downsides of living close to a large well known shopping mall is that traffic around the holidays is insane.

This is really cool Halos.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Ah, I'm glad that showed up, I was getting slightly worried it had gotten lost, glad you like it!

I did not get time to scan it cos I ended up having to rush to get it in the post I'm afraid, but that does mean it is a one-of-a-kind piece I guess! I had wanted to get it framed for you before sending, but I did not want to get banned from Secret Santas for mailing you what would undoubtedly have ended up as a parcel full of broken glass by the time it had crossed the Atlantic, hopefully it flattens out well enough, the paper stock might be a tad too thick to travel well in a poster tube like that...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options

Looks like my gifts arrived for real!

A mystery box appears! Better get the doggo to check that it's safe...

8ycj1onkf55j.jpg

...all clear! I send in our top people to unpack the contents.

sekz1x0eqfub.jpg
    vaal3r1l4ta1.jpg

And our first gift is...

85o9dw0dd16x.jpg

The Sheriff of Nottingham! I've heard fun recounts of this game but never played it. Sweet! Up next we have...

ndsiy27mxw2w.jpg

A set of of dark red and black Chessex dice! Awesome! I can add these to my Crown Royal bag. But wait, there's more!

u2gugmbznqa8.jpg

Shadows of Camelot! I must admit, I've never heard of this one before. Gets the excitement juices flowing to try it out.

But we had to save the best gift for last.

kvgy310ravjn.jpg
    cyffnqqm6ky2.jpg

A set of large, foamy dice for the kiddo! Oh man, these are really cool. She starting to recognize colors and numbers and these will help her improve her skill set. Just so you know, this was the next 15 minutes in the Dover household:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfUGKcAtmY

By the way, this is great timing as she's been trying to steal my actual dice. Since I've had to take one out of her mouth already, this is a welcome addition to her toy supply while giving me peace of mind. So who do I thank for this package?

cnz56m8af9ju.jpg

Why it's none other than @MagicPrime! Thank you so much (again) for the wonderful gifts! Looks like all the games you sent are for 3-players, so we're going to have to find a few people to come over and try them out. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Those are great games! Though I don't like the traitor in Shadows, the game is great at balancing good and evil. Sheriff is fantastic too and a real thinking out loud game of do I/don't I.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Shadows was the first "designer" board game I bought. Still own it. So many great times to be had. It is a bit love-it-or-hate-it, but I certainly love it and hope you do too. ;D

• Options
    Shadows was the first "designer" board game I bought. Still own it. So many great times to be had. It is a bit love-it-or-hate-it, but I certainly love it and hope you do too. ;D

Shadows is a good game that's a overshadowed by later entries in the genre at this point. One thing that's a definite plus by comparison is that it plays cleanly with fewer than most of those.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Glad everything made it!

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    HOWL

The wolves have given me the sending howl!! The wolves are hurrying their paws to deliever my santee their holiday gift!! They assure me, the package should arrive by friday!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    My Christmas cards arrived finally! Final package going out tomorrow hopefully Santee!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover

Based on the first 15 seconds, I can tell your daughter is a born barbarian!

• Options
    Max HP at level 1. Insane.

Rolled her first 20 today. Makes me proud.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Max HP at level 1. Insane.

Rolled her first 20 today. Makes me proud.

Careful, you don't want her to roll all the luck out of those dice before she's even got a character sheet set up.

kshu0oba7xnr.png