As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Beauty and the Beast & Village Victory!

1171819202123»

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    As the person responsible for administering rabies I'm still not sure how rabies worked. One person got healed by Belle and one got healed at random right?

But yeah, the messup with the orders day 1(I quoted the orders post when everyone else was editting it so it looked like my older post was newer) hurt us a bit but I think we did a good job. Shout-out to LostNinja for finding much better ways to use the anonymous messages than I did last game - in case nobody's figured it out, the speech restrictions were entirely made up.

And one person got friendly-fire vote killed before it did anything...whatever it did.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote:
    I didn't anticipate public seering. My solution was to just have Gizzy reveal in narration, but it seemed unfair to punish Gizzy for the village's choices so I warned her that the next public success would reveal her and gave her the private seering.

Ohhhh I totally didn't realize that - I just thought it was fun flavor talking about having Lefou holding me back from yelling it from the rooftops, haha

This was a fun game!

Austinp I seered you because I thought you would be a fun person to network with. But it turns out you weren't on my team!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    Also if anyone seered me, I would have showed up as the beast

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote:
    I didn't anticipate public seering. My solution was to just have Gizzy reveal in narration, but it seemed unfair to punish Gizzy for the village's choices so I warned her that the next public success would reveal her and gave her the private seering.

Ohhhh I totally didn't realize that - I just thought it was fun flavor talking about having Lefou holding me back from yelling it from the rooftops, haha

This was a fun game!

Austinp I seered you because I thought you would be a fun person to network with. But it turns out you weren't on my team!

Arghhh. The best of choices to be seered for and it comes the one game I’m actually mafia.

@LostNinja want to give kudos for the awesome use of the action power. I can’t believe it worked so many times and no one questioned it.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Also if anyone seered me, I would have showed up as the beast

38thDoe obviously picked you for the role too, due to being covered in cat hair all the time

True story

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote:

This was a fun game!

Arghhh. The best of choices to be seered for and it comes the one game I’m actually mafia.

@LostNinja want to give kudos for the awesome use of the action power. I can’t believe it worked so many times and no one questioned it.

I still just can't believe how well directing lucedes at Phyphor worked out. No idea I was messaging a vig telling them to kill the actual Beast.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Congrats village!

I’ll have to be more careful how I vote in the future, MrT pretty much had me pegged as Mafia immediately. As such, I didn’t have as much impact on this game as I had hoped, but, there’s always next time!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Jdark was Belle
    I think he may have been healed the same way as MrT
    I could only heal Beast. I extraordinarily carefully implied I might be able to heal others in PMs with @Grunt's Ghosts to keep them from killing me. I outright lied about being healed in the thread. I have no idea why MrT and I didn't die from rabies.

Eh.
    I wasn't keen on killing you whilst the wolves were still alive.
    Although I admittedly thought kime was Belle due to his slip-up.

But then you started Saw-ing me after your plan to get the Beast back, so I announced your SKness in thread thinking I was dead :P

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My thoughts:
    • As ever, I am super thankful to the host for putting in the time and effort to come up with these custom mafia games, and then doing all the work to host them.
    • I would probably have never publicly outed myself as LeFou if I hadn't come to believe that I didn't have an ability (nor could I inspire). I understood on day 1 what the function of my ability was despite a slightly vague description, but 38th CD'ed my request for confirmation, and then by the second day after Gaston's death without any change or update I'd begun to think it was just meant to be cute flavor text and I had no ability. Lo and behold, I'd been right all along, just wrong about what the trigger was (it needed Gaston and both vigs to die).
    • To be clear, Gaston's power worked exactly as I 'guessed' in the thread at the beginning of day 8; each day @Gizzy or I would have to pick a target without knowing what the inspiration would be that day.
    • Once I'd gotten Gaston's power, it was frustrating trying to figure out how much I could suggest or imply to try and lead the village towards useful inspirations without giving myself away. The first day after inspiration became active again I targeted @kime after trying to suggest healing them in thread, but something didn't work, or people forgot to submit inspiration orders, cause nothing happened and 38th wouldn't tell me anything. The next day, there was very little response in thread to whoever suggested to try to resurrect Beast, so I targeted @Phoenix-D, thinking people were gonna pick dentistry. Right around the end of that day I got in touch with @Grunt's Ghosts for help, which along with the reveal of @SeGaTai's death brought things into perspective for me, so I came out swinging the final day to push the res Beast option (GG was sure Belle and the Beast would be a big asset to village win). Turns out it was all moot since @discrider had things in the bag anyway.
    • Sorry I missed my vote today, but fortunately I'd submitted my action, eh @Phyphor @jdarksun?
    • I'm not a fan of obscured death outcomes, I enjoy the analysis process (even if I'm not very good at it).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, can you give us a run down on how Inspire went throughout the game, 38th?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Great game 38th, I liked the mystery of what the theme of the game was and all of the different powers. Inspire was a neat idea, give something for the standard villager to do. What were all the specials in the end?

I was so confused at my power since there weren't any teeth until the third day, and then I died.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i am incredibly, incredibly amused by how that note ended up working out.
    i was like "sure okay, i'll try out this note, i have a kill tonight." i did not expect that...

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the game!

Dying a slow, agonizing death was not a good time. I had no idea that it could have been avoided.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    It couldn't have been avoided once @Sir Fabulous randomed the role. I think he dies day 1 of every game I've ever hosted. Well they could have had Gaston cure you I suppose. But he died before you got bit I think. Hmm. Sorry about that.
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Great game 38th, I liked the mystery of what the theme of the game was and all of the different powers. Inspire was a neat idea, give something for the standard villager to do. What were all the specials in the end?

I was so confused at my power since there weren't any teeth until the third day, and then I died.

The village had a death seer, +1 vote power, seer, guard, even/odd vig, gaston, one time rabies cure, and backup gaston.
    The wolves had rabies, anonymous messaging, roleblock, ability to swap abilities between two wolves, Vote+1, devour corpse, and a wolf who gained all abilities of defeated wolves (still could only use one per night).
    The Beast had a kill, Belle could cure the Beast's wounds and her inspire counted 3x.
    kime wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, can you give us a run down on how Inspire went throughout the game, 38th?

Inspire Day 1 public seer by a landslide. Belle worded it as seer if someone is mafia or not, which was pretty clever.
    Day 2 I didn't record all of them since Gaston was dying and I was getting sick. Two seers and a vig I have down.
    While Gaston was dead people still sent in inspire, mostly seer.
    Day 6 was Dentistx3, cure-all, seer
    Day 7 was JUST ONE VOTE of NECROMANCY
    Day 8 was Necromancy and raise dead.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    This town needs better funding. I only had one rabies vaccine!

Good game all. Was fun while it lasted!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    How extensive were the Hunter Inspire powers?

If everyone had said to Kill Mafia each day would that have worked?

End of game necromany was rough to see on the Mafia side, as there were people that were highly village (and some known village as not all deaths were obscured) that immediately swing things in favor of the village. We had a whole slew of mistakes on our end though so clearly wasn't why we lost.

Also, I can see the death obscure being tough on the village, especially if you're a vanillager who doesn't have powers to do anything about not knowing if the person you just voted was village or mafia. I wonder if there is a limited version that could be designed that can't affect the vote but instead only impacts a SK/Vig kill and hides the results of that. I'd feel less bad for a special who doesn't get results from their kill than from a vanillager losing any knowledge from the public vote.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Well-designed and implemented 38th! Loved every bit of it.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Thanks for running 38th!
    I liked how the theme was hidden, kind of a cool little bonus puzzle to solve.
    I wasn't alive long but i had a lot of fun before I died

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The level of confusion and second-guessing in this game was really fun to continue watching after death.

I'm not sure what I did to attract the attention of both mafia and the beast at the same time, lol.

Thanks for running, @38thDoe ! It was a good game.

WACriminal on

Hunter had to choose a target. Maybe could have worded it like kill if target is mafia.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

End of game necromany was rough to see on the Mafia side, as there were people that were highly village (and some known village as not all deaths were obscured) that immediately swing things in favor of the village. We had a whole slew of mistakes on our end though so clearly wasn't why we lost.

Also, I can see the death obscure being tough on the village, especially if you're a vanillager who doesn't have powers to do anything about not knowing if the person you just voted was village or mafia. I wonder if there is a limited version that could be designed that can't affect the vote but instead only impacts a SK/Vig kill and hides the results of that. I'd feel less bad for a special who doesn't get results from their kill than from a vanillager losing any knowledge from the public vote.

I think giving a finite number of charges, or maybe a cooldown (both ways that the janitors have to be choosy about what to obscure), or requiring them to alternate death causes (so they could repeatedly use it, but only on a few votes) are all ways it could be made less oppressive. It just kind of stung that every day's voting was obscured unless the mafia flubbed their order submissions.

Anyway, thanks again for running 38th!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I think giving a finite number of charges, or maybe a cooldown (both ways that the janitors have to be choosy about what to obscure), or requiring them to alternate death causes (so they could repeatedly use it, but only on a few votes) are all ways it could be made less oppressive. It just kind of stung that every day's voting was obscured unless the mafia flubbed their order submissions.

Anyway, thanks again for running 38th!

I think it stung more because it was the vote. Imagine if Premium's D1 Vig kill came back without color. That would mean no auto vig called kill network, but he still would get daily kills so it doesn't sting him personally as much.

That's more what I was leaning towards, finding a way to challenge village specials but not to the detriment to the village non-specials. Village still gets hit, but it feels lighter due to the vanilla members not feeling it directly.

Oh and before I forget, thanks for running 38th! I LOVE games with a lot of crazy powers that require all sorts of theory crafting to figure out how and what to do with them.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad you had fun. That's the main goal.
    Let me thank @Egos and @Infidel for helping make sure this was balanced.

As far as the janitors go, I know that having the vote janitored is rough. I learned that in my transformers game. FF IV had vote giving bad results, but that was quickly cleared up by softnetworking and two coroners/dentists here. In this game I figured that having two dentists would be overkill with gaston able to sub. Then Gaston promptly died.

If they couldn't target the vote really only their kills were targetable since how would they know the vig's target or if there was a vig left?

I know it can get people to tune out, but I think it opens the door for a lot of vote analysis. There were mafia going hard to the mat for mafia. Village only seered mafia on day 1. The rest was vote analysis I'm thinking and very well done.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited December 2017
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If they couldn't target the vote really only their kills were targetable since how would they know the vig's target or if there was a vig left?

Not to belabor the point, but you'd just change how it was targeted (they pick by death cause, not by player).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited December 2017

Not to belabor the point, but you'd just change how it was targeted (they pick by death cause, not by player).

Targeting the individual vote target was harder than you might think. Between a couple of close last second decisions, and a close time that resulted conflicted with some of our schedules we very nearly missed it more than once.

LostNinja on

I wouldn't want to give them a complete list of death causes or even an incomplete list. Limiting the number of uses could be a possibility. Possibly with a method of gaining charges as the game progressed. Don't worry about continuing to present your view, as I said before I do want to continue to improve.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

There were mafia going hard to the mat for mafia.

I think this is what hit us the hardest. I think we relied a little too heavily on the janitor on this one, and we got sloppy with everything else. I'm not sure that's something that's easily corrected, either. Up until the moment where Disc connected some dots, I actually felt pretty confident, and then all of a sudden lost/jay/virgil were found out. We felt pretty confident in the power and it looked like it was working, right up until it didn't.

edited December 2017
    Yeah, I think charges, or a cooldown (maybe with 1-2 cd overrides they can burn if they feel they need it) would be the best way to do a limited janitor. And yeah, if you were gonna do a limited janitor, obviously any village counter should be similarly nerfed (if not removed altogether). My conjecture is all about trying to come up with a system that checks against the worst-case scenario of the janitor being able to essentially use it unopposed every time.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @38thDoe This game was awesome, and I am only disappointed that I didn't get to play longer, but it was still enjoyable to follow.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    So @38thDoe , how did rabies work? How did people survive it?

Also I did consider perhaps the necromancy going wrong and bringing back someone with a new negative alignment.

But we managed to bring back Phoenix.
    Who we didn't know the alignment of in the first place.
    So I thought Jdark would stab him on the last night and then we'd know one way or the other.

Rabies could be blocked by the guard or a roleblock, cured by gaston or one time by the doctor.

On the night you were bitten you received a message
    :
    Something bites you in the night. You can't get a good look but it appears to be relatively minor.
    As the night goes on you are unable to sleep. Paranoia terror and confusion set in. For some reason the thought of water terrifies you.

On the second night you got this message:

You feel awful, you still haven't slept and you think you might be hallucinating. Last night, in the confusion you may have bitten someone?

The next night you died.

On the second night, a random villager got this message:

Something or someone bites you in the night. You can't get a good look but it appears to be relatively minor.
    As the night goes on you are unable to sleep. Paranoia terror and confusion set in.

The next night:

Your limb is in a lot of pain. You feel tired all of the time but can't sleep. Hopefully this breaks soon.

The next night:

You think you are going to be okay.

So Rabies spread a fake rabies which really only existed for paranoia. I'm not sure if this influenced anything in the game. Originally everyone bit would be able to bite anyone of their choosing before dying. The death toll would be high. Infidel pointed out that really using the rabies would be a gamble by basically trading kills with the village.

Belle cured her rabies when she went into bloodlust. If the beast had not died she would have died.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    So Rabies spread a fake rabies which really only existed for paranoia.

This...this is a really fucking good game mechanic.

Rabies could be blocked by the guard or a roleblock, cured by gaston or one time by the doctor.

On the night you were bitten you received a message
    :
    Something bites you in the night. You can't get a good look but it appears to be relatively minor.
    As the night goes on you are unable to sleep. Paranoia terror and confusion set in. For some reason the thought of water terrifies you.

On the second night you got this message:

You feel awful, you still haven't slept and you think you might be hallucinating. Last night, in the confusion you may have bitten someone?

The next night you died.

On the second night, a random villager got this message:

Something or someone bites you in the night. You can't get a good look but it appears to be relatively minor.
    As the night goes on you are unable to sleep. Paranoia terror and confusion set in.

The next night:

Your limb is in a lot of pain. You feel tired all of the time but can't sleep. Hopefully this breaks soon.

The next night:

You think you are going to be okay.

So Rabies spread a fake rabies which really only existed for paranoia. I'm not sure if this influenced anything in the game. Originally everyone bit would be able to bite anyone of their choosing before dying. The death toll would be high. Infidel pointed out that really using the rabies would be a gamble by basically trading kills with the village.

Belle cured her rabies when she went into bloodlust. If the beast had not died she would have died.

I think it influenced things on our end. I don't think we ever figured it out. Probably didn't help that the MrT not dying for this reason coincided with when we thought jdark would die.

It was one of those abilities we probably should have worked harder to understand ourselves on our end.