As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's probably more based on the original game designers having a bunch of military history nerds among them. Fancy swords are for officers.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah I feel like a lot of 40k stuff comes from that, like marine squads having banners, which is not something you see a lot of modern armies doing, or at least not actually carrying them into battle.

Also with nids hive tyrants seem to get monstrous rending claws for free, which is nice but makes me question whether it's what was intended.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They do get them for free, and it's a pretty cushy weapon option on top of that, and doesn't actually have a model option for it in the box.
    I'm kinda surprised they still let them take them, I figured it was just an oversight in the Index (They're free cos they're only supposed to go on the Broodlord, or so I thought) but, well, it's legal for now I guess!

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I figured was that maybe it was an oversight because of the broodlord. Honestly stuff like that just annoys me though because it makes me nervous that if I build it into my list it'll get FAQed at some point.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nerds take the community survey. Get your voice heard (maybe well at least counted).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/30/say-big-community-survey-nov-30gw-homepage-post-1/

Seriously though GW is doing a pretty heavy duty survey asking for our opinions. Let's give it to them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Nerds take the community survey. Get your voice heard (maybe well at least counted).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/30/say-big-community-survey-nov-30gw-homepage-post-1/

Seriously though GW is doing a pretty heavy duty survey asking for our opinions. Let's give it to them.

Thank you, that was a nice survey and seemed well thought out.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I'm slightly surprised at them asking what other mini non-gw games I might play.

In answer the the question of what I enjoyed the most, I said painting some gryph hounds with my 4 year old daughter on a rainy afternoon (I then told them to release more female stuff).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I’m frankly a little staggered at “we don’t do market research” GW doing market research.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did ask for more female models as well
    But I really held back on saying why I don't do a lot of tourneys and other things with 40k as I really did almost punch someone over what was said that nano second of yes no flipped in my head fairly quickly and seemed to take forever
    I really did say I am done picked up my army and went home I put it away and never looked at it until I in the space of 3 weeks Deathwatch overkill, Gangs of Commorragh, Warhammer Quest THe Sliver tower
    The later was played that weekend with comments of that's it? WTF happened to Warhammer made by the people playing it
    I got Assassinorum: Execution Force sent to me by accident? from the company I bought all three of those games from
    But I really only played Death watch once as my brother whom hates the blood ravens did a kamikaze run with the librarian into the genestealers as the next mission he needed him to which he did oops o well

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I'm slightly surprised at them asking what other mini non-gw games I might play.

In answer the the question of what I enjoyed the most, I said painting some gryph hounds with my 4 year old daughter on a rainy afternoon (I then told them to release more female stuff).

Shit, I forgot to ask them for more female guard models.

GDI GDI GDI etc.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I’m frankly a little staggered at “we don’t do market research” GW doing market research.

I told them "Keep doing what you've been doing over the past year or two". The change has been incredible.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of just naming one thing that's bad when really there's more a bunch of minor details that it'd be nice if they dealt with. You probably can't set up a survey to handle that, but still.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mentioned "more female models" as often as possible.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm impressed that with Chaos and Genestealer cults rules coming in WD, it's almost like GW scoured old forum posts for every time someone said 'that'd make a good Necromunda gang' and decided to make it so.

Hell, the Bounty Hunter gang sounds almost like you'd be able to use whatever the hell models you like from any range à la Frostgrave.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    A chaos necromunda gang might get into it. Especially since we can use current cultist models and I have like 40 of them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    A chaos necromunda gang might get into it. Especially since we can use current cultist models and I have like 40 of them.

The whole plan is for it to use the current models. There are no new models for these coming, it's purely an incredibly sensible cross promotion of existing product from another range.

Here's the internet scuttlebutt on cult gangs:
    Both gangs will be based around the existing kits (No new models)

Genestealer cults (GC) will focus around the neophite-hybrids with a sub-primus leader, and able to take Aberrants in the gangs. they'll have full access to the entire GC armoury including weapons in the acolytes kits. these weapons should be added to the trading posts lists, but will be in Gang War 3 (GW3)

Chaos cults will be god neutral. but will be able to preform a ritual between games, to one of the gods. if successful, your gang gets a buff based on the god, and if it fails, a random member of your gang (other than the leader) turns into a spawn, and remains like it (spawn is added to the gang roster). You get bonuses to the ritual roll, if you stick to the same god, and get negative modifers if you chop and change.

Both gangs will have full gang rules, and access to trading posts .etc so will be able to include other non-faction gear as campaigns go on.
    Both factions will have a low-power psyker option.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Oh shit

Genestealer cults necromunda???

Brb buying a box of Neophytes

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

The whole plan is for it to use the current models. There are no new models for these coming, it's purely an incredibly sensible cross promotion of existing product from another range.

Here's the internet scuttlebutt on cult gangs:
    Both gangs will be based around the existing kits (No new models)

Genestealer cults (GC) will focus around the neophite-hybrids with a sub-primus leader, and able to take Aberrants in the gangs. they'll have full access to the entire GC armoury including weapons in the acolytes kits. these weapons should be added to the trading posts lists, but will be in Gang War 3 (GW3)

Chaos cults will be god neutral. but will be able to preform a ritual between games, to one of the gods. if successful, your gang gets a buff based on the god, and if it fails, a random member of your gang (other than the leader) turns into a spawn, and remains like it (spawn is added to the gang roster). You get bonuses to the ritual roll, if you stick to the same god, and get negative modifers if you chop and change.

Both gangs will have full gang rules, and access to trading posts .etc so will be able to include other non-faction gear as campaigns go on.
    Both factions will have a low-power psyker option.

Okay, now make that a video game so I can play it.

Also don't hire the Mordheim studio.

• Options
    Make Nercomunda with the same engine that Xcom was built on

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Make Nercomunda with the same engine that Xcom was built on

That was my initial thought, yes.

• Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/01/new-units-in-codex-blood-angels-dec-1gw-homepage-post-3/

Primaris are confirmed to have the red thirst just like normal Blood Angels. But no black rage. Mostly sounds like they are getting the full range of marine options on top of their special options like Baal predators.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »

Are you saying putting out a well received rule system with consistent updates and new content leads to more sales?

Say it ain't so!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Nah, article says it's because they made apps :P

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Playing a GT with some of the top players in the country this weekend. Finished day 1 tied for 7th (out of 41), with 48/58 total points.

First rd vs DG, guy who took 2nd at a regional a few weeks ago. No morty dg with deredo and levi, 3 bloat drones, typhus, marines and the crazy flamer chars in a rhino, a dp, poxwalkers and nurglings. He came to me and it was a bloodbath. Ended with him having one drone left, I think. 19-3.

2nd rd vs sm, Pat M, one of the top ITC SM players.5 razorbacks, tacs, guilleman, stormraven, tigirius, celestine and sister squad. We werent using CA, otherwise his list would have been just about 2200! Another bloodbath, but I failed onslaught turn 1 after double advancing horms 4" from his screens... with a 6 or 7" charge I would have locked 3/5 razorbacks, tac squad and the sisters.... instead I spent all game rolling like gak. My frustration led me to make a few costly mistakes, though in the end I pulled out 10/19 pts. I failed 3x psychic tests even using cp to reroll, and perilsed 3 times. I took 9 wounds from perils. I failed every reserves charge. I made 2/8 flyrant invulns. It was punishing.

3rd rd vs csm. I didnt recognize the player. He had 4 jp lords, 4x10 cultists, 3 spawn, and 7x3 oblits. He made me take first turn. I grabbed the relic and shoved it back behind my lines. He dropped allin on a flabk and wiped all but 1 and 5 horms. Charged the last 5 and wiped them, AND got my 2 near jnfestation nodes. I used assauly hijinks and lucky reserves charges to deal with oblits from that turn on. Won 19-1.

Tomorrow I face Dallas Rapoport, who took 16th at nova open last year. We're currently tied for 7th, tho I had a slightly stronger strength of schedule. He's running bugs, but I'm not sure what his list is. I hate fighting bugs, not because I don't like my chances, just because it's always messy as hell. If I can pull 2 big wins I should end up near the top, there are 3 players with 3 wins, and 3 with 2win/1draw. Not in a terrible position atm.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    So got in a game tonight though I started late because I didn't have an opponent till 7. I played my Emperor's Children verse Harlis. 1500 match play using one of the new Chapter Approved maelstrom games.

First the new missions in CA are super fun. This mission is standard maelstrom but at the start of the turn before you draw cards you say how many objectives you believe you can complete that turn, 1-4. If you complete that number of objectives or more you get that many points on top of the amount of points you got through objectives. But if you fail your opponent gets what you bid. We did the last part wrong and did it based on the difference instead.

So you have to both guess what your army can do but it has some randomness and forces movement.

I took a rather odd army for me.

2x 18 cultist
    2x 6 man noise marines (5 sonic blaster/1 blastmaster)
    1x Sonic Helbrute (scourge+blastmaster)
    1x Sonic Helbrute (missile launcher+blastmaster)
    1xDark Apostle
    1xChaos Lord (combi-melta+powerfist)
    1xJP Sorc (warptime, prescience)
    9x Chosen(4xchain axes, 4xchainswords, 1xdual lc champ)
    1xRhino (2x combi-bolters, 1xhavoc launcher)
    1x 5 Termis(4xcombi-plasma, 1xreaper AC)

Broken into a battalion and a spearhead. All Emperor's Children.

My opponent was:
    3x 2 harliquin bikes
    3x 5 man troupes with fusion pistols
    2x Troupe masters
    1x Solitaire
    1x Dark Seerer thing
    3x Transport things (star things)

I think that was it.

Highlights- Cultist shooting down a bike and a transport because yay cultist. Sorc doing 5 of the 6 wounds on a transport in close combat. My chosen tearing down a troupe master and two troupes. Termis doing nothing. My lord surviving a blitz from a solitaire.

Some thoughts:

1)Death Hex is a must take again, had to familiar it on my sorc. But again doing so helped me wipe out units that live or die on a 4++.
    2)Emperor's Children's legion tactic is getting better as time goes. With Tyranids, Blood Angels, and Daemons next month there are a lot of close combat enemies coming out with lots of tools. Emp's Children seems on paper to be okay but I am finding when I don't have it I miss it. When I have it, it is game changing. Forcing your opponent to make sometimes game determining decisions on who they fight first is huge.
    3)My chosen close combat unit was much better than expected. Still way too expensive but it is really neat.
    4)The new missions are great.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I haven't faced EC yet but they're one of the few things that would make me hesitate to charge my berzerkers. Seems like noise marines have a fair chance of wiping them before they do their chain axe thing

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    So this is a question I don't know where else to ask?
    I don't like the head of the succubus that the dark elder get but does the sister of slaughter in the same scale and fit it?
    Can you put hair on the back of the sister of slaughter head?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I finished another librarian!

wgGfVuy.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So this is a question I don't know where else to ask?
    I don't like the head of the succubus that the dark elder get but does the sister of slaughter in the same scale and fit it?
    Can you put hair on the back of the sister of slaughter head?

Sisters of slaughter from the fantasy range?
    I don't know for sure in terms of scale, but I have used Dark Eldar heads on Dark Elf models before and had little trouble, only thing to note is that the Sisters of Slaughter heads have no necks on them, whereas, say, the Wyches heads do have necks, so if the Succubus is like that you'd have to do some trimming.
    The back of the Sisters of Slaughter head is just a plain, untextured curve, shouldn't be too tricky to stick some hair on there I think.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sisters of Slaughter / Witch Elves are more slender then the Dark Eldar kits. Also the neck is part of the body, so there'll be some converting necessary. My stuff is all packed up for moving otherwise I could take some pics of the parts together.

• Options
    So one thing with CA I was thinking about was that doom sirens are 10 points. Which is basically a heavy flamer but is now 7 points cheaper than a heavy flamer and has a better AP at -2.

I might take them on my noise champs to keep people from charging me as much. D6 str 5 ap -2 d1 shots that ignore cover are not to be scoffed at.

But the bigger thing is I can take them on my sonic helbrutes on top of a heavy flamer on the first.

Charge me, I dare you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Sisters of Slaughter / Witch Elves are more slender then the Dark Eldar kits. Also the neck is part of the body, so there'll be some converting necessary. My stuff is all packed up for moving otherwise I could take some pics of the parts together.

I'm not sure it's true that they're noticeably more slender - I've got a Sister of Slaughter whip on a Hellion and it looks fine, even if it did need some converting to fit properly. The joints on the Witch Elf kit are weird.

• Options
    The arms of the DEldar wyches are definitely more muscular than the Dark Elf witch elves/sisters of slaughter.

• Options
    I am building my Wytch army as a side and for my Ynnari army so my succubus is going incognito
    Just I had the thought having that mask of the sisters would work since most of the 40k/Aos lines are similar in scale

I know the joints are weird on the witch kits as they are bent around in dance moves?
    I saw the head and thought doing the hair would be neat. I know I need a neck for them but because I would need to get the whole box since it's hard to get the mask I want and I want to see if the hair fits but that means I would have a witch force for AoS

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The Dark Elf witch armsattach at the bicep, rather than the shoulder, so they're really short and will take some conversions/greenstuff to make them fit into dark eldar. As others have said, they're also -really- thin and tiny, which could look weird if you paired them with say, splinter pistols.
    See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-BITS-DARK-ELVES-Witch-Elves-Daggers-30x-/372129721703

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You guys ever wonder what pages they open to on those book banners?

Is there a pithy John 3:16 type of passage for the Lectitio Divinatus?

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They could change it for each battle. Killing demons? Page 376 has a great piece on warding rituals. Tyranids? Got a whole chapter on casting in the Shadow in the Warp, check out the bullet points on page 981, etc.

• Options
    my terminator sorcerer has a book hanging off the side of his butt and unless it's very presence lets him cast smite or something it's actually pointless

• Options
    The confessor? preacher? from when you could bring them in your imperial guard army {I am not ever going to call them by their random latin name} My brother wrote in classic gothic script on the book This was a waste of time
    My mother praised his penmanship of it but said he could have done it that somewhere else

This discussion has been closed.