As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Boring picture, but I'm constantly surprised by how good pics my iPhone SE can produce. This was just a random WIP shot with the phone held 20cm from the model.

(VMC Cork Brown, nice base tone for tanned skin)

xqFj7s2.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Looking at official art, and yeah everyone here is right. There’s a local stormcast player that painted her up with a bare midriff and it looks so dumb.

Well he is also objectively incorrect in doing so and that makes it extra dumb.

That'd be like painting a Blood Angel honour guard like a naked dude.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Looking at official art, and yeah everyone here is right. There’s a local stormcast player that painted her up with a bare midriff and it looks so dumb.

Well he is also objectively incorrect in doing so and that makes it extra dumb.

That'd be like painting a Blood Angel honour guard like a naked dude.

Yeah, Blood Angels in skin armour would be dumb, They always remove the skin from their armour.
    99800101012_AstorathNEW_01.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bram Stoker approves.
    eiko_ishioka_dracula_red_armour_gary_olman.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Real talk though, I do wish Angharad Brightshield was built like Zarya

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Bram Stoker approves.

I always have, and always will, love everything about that ridiculous armor.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Bram Stoker approves.

I always have, and always will, love everything about that ridiculous armor.

I remember when you could get it as a resin kit and I wanted it but I was schooled about why resin is questionable as a media
    I remembered this talk when a comic/hobby shop in San Diego had it built behind the counter. I remembered that talk everytime I saw it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I am going to need pics or a video to see it in action

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I am going to need pics or a video to see it in action

They have a couple on youtube of painted models.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sNGIrPmo2U

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I wish I could buy just one pot instead of an entire set, though. My first thought was trying to make my dreadknight more of a "centerpiece" (and of course they have a dreadknight example video!) but I don't really want to get the other shades right now.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    If I hadn't already spent so much money for Christmas I'd probably pick up a set. I was looking at starting Necrons, and I think most of those shades would look amazing on an army of death robots.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Anybody have recommendations on paint brush sets? Is there any reason I shouldn't buy GW's "essential paintbrush set"?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Because they are overpriced shite.

Rosemary and Co or Winsor and Newton is what I usually plump for.

• Options
    GW's Artificer medium is the single best brush I've ever used ever and is an absolute workhorse.

Fun fact the GW Artificer line is made by Winsor & Newton.

I'd suggest most people just hop on Amazon, buy a W&N series 7 (not miniature) size 2 and 0 and a tub of brush soap and be set.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Let me echo that - don't buy W&N MINIATURE - the shorter bristle defeats the purpose of buying a good brush (which is, among others, that it holds much paint while keeping good flow control).
    Do absolutely buy Windsor and Newton series 7 sable brushes.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    tub of brush soap and be set.

Brush soap. You want it.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Let me echo that - don't buy W&N MINIATURE - the shorter bristle defeats the purpose of buying a good brush (which is, among others, that it holds much paint while keeping good flow control).

Can't quote this hard enough.

W&N S7 are amazing but the bristle length on the Miniature variety is useless.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I've almost nailed the terrain composition but I'm waiting on Necromunda bulkhead doors and, since they're bundled in with an order of Blood Angels Intercessors, I won't see them till Saturday.

qj7xdiob0e7o.jpg

So while I wait, I'm making a start on converting a new Strigoi Swarmlord:

6cgsasmao20h.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You have to find some way to have something leaping off the crane, @Kneel !

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    You have to find some way to have something leaping off the crane, @Kneel !

Already planning on Genestealers scuttling up and leaping off :biggrin:

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    GW's Artificer medium is the single best brush I've ever used ever and is an absolute workhorse.

Fun fact the GW Artificer line is made by Winsor & Newton.

I'd suggest most people just hop on Amazon, buy a W&N series 7 (not miniature) size 2 and 0 and a tub of brush soap and be set.

There was hub bub for a while that the W&N 7's on amazon were fake, make sure you look at reviews for recent ones that mention the quality of the brushes before buying. But I wholly agree with the above.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    A week ago I acquired a bottle of Reaper MSP "Old Bronze", a metallic in a dropper bottle. I'm noticing that it dispenses very little after shaking and nothing after, even when I squeeze. Is this a normal function of the bottle or do I have to clear it out with a needle or toothpick?

EDIT: Aaand now nothing's coming out at all. Time to find a small nail or something.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I picked up a pair of W&N’s off Amazon awhile back, though I haven’t used them much aside from minor detail work like eyes and seals. Working on Iron Warriors means a lot of metallics, and I don’t wanna rip up my good brushes on that stuff.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I bought some Windsor Newton’s back when dark imperium came out. Got a 1,0 and 00. Along with a tub of brush soap. I’ve painted about 6k points of 40k stuff since then. They are still like new.

• Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    A week ago I acquired a bottle of Reaper MSP "Old Bronze", a metallic in a dropper bottle. I'm noticing that it dispenses very little after shaking and nothing after, even when I squeeze. Is this a normal function of the bottle or do I have to clear it out with a needle or toothpick?

EDIT: Aaand now nothing's coming out at all. Time to find a small nail or something.

As much as I love Reaper paints (the most), their droppers are not the best and their metallics exacerbate the issue.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

As much as I love Reaper paints (the most), their droppers are not the best and their metallics exacerbate the issue.

Paperclip to the rescue! Pictures of my finished product coming shortly...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »

Can't quote this hard enough.

W&N S7 are amazing but the bristle length on the Miniature variety is useless.

As someone who has been using W&N S7 miniature brushes for months using the air tight logic of “well I paint miniatures so I guess I should get the miniature brush.”

Well fuck, time to go shopping.

• Options
    Miniature just denotes the length of the hairs. It is a common mistake.

• Options

One that I made early on myself.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    A long time ago, at a W&N Office far, far away ...

"Hey, Bob - I think I just figured out a way to sell about twice as many brushes to ... literally the whole wargaming market segment."
    "Brilliant!"

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Kneel wrote: »

One that I made early on myself.

I didn’t make this mistake but I did assume they were for painting this kind of minature rather than the bristle length.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's not 100 percent the topic of the thread, but this is some awesome miniature building and painting

https://youtu.be/sLxxbfsj8IM

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone have suggestions for the type of liquid green stuff to fill cracks in Kingdom Death Monster miniatures?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I use plastic putty filler. Liquid greenstuff is pretty terrible.
    31axUHh42XL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

squirt some in the crack and then wipe it smooth away with a finger or damp brush

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thank you good sir

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have now completed my three librarians. I think I finally like painting blue.

t5Y71eH.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I use plastic putty filler. Liquid greenstuff is pretty terrible.
    31axUHh42XL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

squirt some in the crack and then wipe it smooth away with a finger or damp brush

would that work on the ridges on a 3d printed item?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I posted this elsewhere, but getting multiple opinions is good!

So I went and bought myself a mini cause of course I'm going to become obsessed with tabletop gaming in its entirety. My main question is going to be whether it looks like I should pin one of the two things on a sprue or not.

I thankfully found a picture of the mini unpackaged, so as you'll see in the image below it's mostly just the axe/hand and mohawk that aren't already part of the mini. For someone who is 100% new to this stuff, should I still try to set up a pin on this or just glue it? I know I need to get some shears but just figured I ought to ask as doing the pinning will also require a pin/jeweler vise whereas I think I've got some small pliers shears around. This is mainly for D&D purposes, and I don't expect to attempt to paint it for a good long while.

s-l1600.jpg

And this is what he's meant to look like once complete, though I may forego using the mohawk.

AVAT1.jpg

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere, but getting multiple opinions is good!

So I went and bought myself a mini cause of course I'm going to become obsessed with tabletop gaming in its entirety. My main question is going to be whether it looks like I should pin one of the two things on a sprue or not.

I thankfully found a picture of the mini unpackaged, so as you'll see in the image below it's mostly just the axe/hand and mohawk that aren't already part of the mini. For someone who is 100% new to this stuff, should I still try to set up a pin on this or just glue it? I know I need to get some shears but just figured I ought to ask as doing the pinning will also require a pin/jeweler vise whereas I think I've got some small pliers shears around. This is mainly for D&D purposes, and I don't expect to attempt to paint it for a good long while.
    s-l1600.jpg

And this is what he's meant to look like once complete, though I may forego using the mohawk.
    AVAT1.jpg

I think I'd pin the arm, but the mohawk should have enough surface to surface contact to stay in place with superglue, and the beard tip should be small enough to stay in place with just superglue as well.

This discussion has been closed.