As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I just saw a leak of the remaining Phoenix cards in this cycle and AAHAHAHAHSHHA

My plans for a Phoenix deck that is 50% holdings and just goes "No" are complete.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Phoenix is winning "most improved" for sure.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I was building the same thing <3

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want to build phoenix as my second deck, but I also want to splash phoenix... Annoying.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Just had my favorite play of all time I think. Opposing Scorpion has 5 fate left. I have honored Asami. Reading the obvious Kachiko play, I equip the fan on Asami, bringing her to a mighty 7 pol. I swing in for a political air conflict. First action of the defender, he drops Kachiko in. I play outwit. Undefended air ring with Asami generates the last 3 honor I need to take to dishonor him.

I like to think Kachiko bursts into the room dramatically, and then Asami shouts her down "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!" and then goes back to gently fanning herself. "Now, where were we?"

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I did something similar - used an Utaku Infantry to send Bayushi Shoju home from a political battle because it had exactly 1 more Mil than him.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite things is to buff a Lion's Pride Brawler with the stronghold during a political conflict, just to use her ability on someone not even in the conflict that I normally wouldn't be able to hit.

And there's the "pack #4 is officially out" article.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Anyone go to the Madrid kotei? From what I've heard it definitely sounds like it was massive, something like 450ish people. They would've had more, but they didn't have the space. I remember that area being a big Old5R stronghold, always putting up good numbers. Glad to see that's carrying over to the new game.

And it sounds like it came down to a Crab vs. Lion finals again, with the Crab bringing it home?

persona4celestia.jpg
    Kotei list got updated with some new locations.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Today's preview should finally make my fellow Unicorn players stop complaining. :)

I'm actually disappointed that the Los Angeles Kotei is at an Anime convention. There's so many good gaming conventions in SoCal that putting it at an anime convention just seems... stereotypical?

Also, went 4-0 with a Phoenix (splash Lion) list this weekend at a FLGS tournament. Felt pretty good, but early Tsukunes with little punishment will do that.

Also, the new pack 5 card
    Waning Hostilities seems pretty good? Especially in clans that don't want to declare two conflicts anyway. It does cut down on ring farming though, but it also theoretically could slow the speed of breaks.

Also, the new pack 5 card
    Waning Hostilities seems pretty good? Especially in clans that don't want to declare two conflicts anyway. It does cut down on ring farming though, but it also theoretically could slow the speed of breaks.

It'll boost Tsukune even more too! :)

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm actually disappointed that the Los Angeles Kotei is at an Anime convention. There's so many good gaming conventions in SoCal that putting it at an anime convention just seems... stereotypical?

I think there is a ton of overlap between people who enjoy playing games and people who enjoy Anime. Especially considering the Japanese themes.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

I think there is a ton of overlap between people who enjoy playing games and people who enjoy Anime. Especially considering the Japanese themes.

This is true. Though I do find that events being housed in conventions is sort of a pain because they often have an additional entry fee. Sure, it gives you something to do if you drop out, I guess, but paying $30-60 on top of normal registry fees is shitty if you aren't actually attending the convention. :/

edited December 2017
    Oh hey, a thing came today.

AoFiaTe.jpg?1

Surprised how heavy that box is. Also surprised that it's in the same sized box as the LCG boxes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I haven't looked into BFR, but I really hope it is a better game than Los Angeles was to Netrunner. Of course, it would be hard not to. :P
    Check back in later~

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have a customer who really wants to try Netrunner because of Los Angeles. Honestly, that board game is what got me interested in their LCGs in the first place.

I'm really curious what the impressions of BFR are.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited December 2017
    I'm actually surprised how... svelte?... the manual is. It seems pretty good at explaining the rules, which are actually pretty simple and straight-forward?

It's also interesting that it doesn't actually use any dice to resolve combat. The closest thing to randomness is the pool of combat tokens you're drawing from to form a hand, and each player has a almost identical pool. (Each clan has a specific clan token as a change in their pool as well. Crane have a extra Diplomacy token, Crab have a beefy Navy 3 token (which my head-canon is assuming is Mantis contracts...), etc.)

Also interesting that the bonus from holding a territory is random each game, and unknown until someone actually takes it and uses it once.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Pack #5 article went up: A City of Secrets.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Just seen pack 6 spoilers, some of those cards are amazing!

Cerberus wrote: »
    Rebuild + Iron Mine = hi we're crab, we never go away. void lol what's that? who needs fate?

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Rebuild + Iron Mine = hi we're crab, we never go away. void lol what's that? who needs fate?

Yeah, definitely one of the strongest cards they've got this cycle!

PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised how... svelte?... the manual is. It seems pretty good at explaining the rules, which are actually pretty simple and straight-forward?

It's also interesting that it doesn't actually use any dice to resolve combat. The closest thing to randomness is the pool of combat tokens you're drawing from to form a hand, and each player has a almost identical pool. (Each clan has a specific clan token as a change in their pool as well. Crane have a extra Diplomacy token, Crab have a beefy Navy 3 token (which my head-canon is assuming is Mantis contracts...), etc.)

Also interesting that the bonus from holding a territory is random each game, and unknown until someone actually takes it and uses it once.

So I was surprised to see it was made by Tom Jolly. He makes really simple games.

Quite frankly, it feels like a game where they COULD have made all the attack strengths a deck of cards, but they used the tokens for ease of use. It's very mechanically light, which is awesome. A nice midrange area-control game, without any frills, is really cool to see.

I'm actually considering ordering a bunch of small draw-string bags for each faction to put all their tokens into, and to shuffle/draw out of.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm wondering if an Imperial combo deck might be possible. Probably on Dragon so Yokuni can copy Satoshi's ability. So you can power up Ishikawa,
    cycle into Storehouses, etc. Or maybe Unicorn so all the self milling powers up Cavalry Reserves.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I doubt it exists right now but my brain definitely went "degenerate combo" when I saw Satoshi.

admanb wrote: »
    I doubt it exists right now but my brain definitely went "degenerate combo" when I saw Satoshi.
    Thinking about it some more, he actually has some interesting uses. If you play just him and your Imperial holding, you can guarantee getting that holding by the third activation or sooner if you play fewer copies. He can also keep himself alive forever if he is your only Imperial card at the cost of 5 honor every other turn.

One if the girls playing Scorpion at this tournament has a mask.

Meanwhile the Magic tournament next to us has a guy cosplaying Jace. And the organizer has a dinosaur costume.

Huh. Deliberately paired myself against a young 7 year old phoenix player. When he focuses, he is good. Bit it is hard to fight when he basically stonewalls his first turn and then we only get through 3 rounds in an hour.

So I went 2-1 and ended up with a full art Toturi as a concellation prize. Won a game on time against Scorpion with no provinces broken. Lost a game to Crane via dishoner in 15 minutes when I lost a bet that he didn't have the counter for my Display of Power. Utterly destroyed a Crab deck with a turn 1 Haughty Magistrate followed by double Prodigy of the Waves.

persona4celestia.jpg
    New Grand Kotei announced for Paris.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't played a single time since the Grand Kotei. I kind of feel like I burnt out, but maybe it's just having been busy lately and not having the chance to buy any cards since pack 2.

What is this I don't even.
    New fiction is up: Wildcats and Dragon Teeth.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited December 2017
    More importantly, the first Clan Pack just got announced.

More cards than a normal expansion, but not quite a full Deluxe.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg