As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Hey guys -- how difficult is it to get into this game if you haven't played AC in ages? I beat AS1 ans AS2 back on the 360 many years ago and haven't played through any since.

My girlfriend is playing it and enjoying it a lot and the only one she played was the original.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Bearded shaggy-haired Bald Bayek looks like a chump and it was right for people to make fun of him in-game

ftfy
    Fireflash wrote: »

- Switching lock-on target works so bad I can't believe they left it in this current state.

This is so bad. Soooo fucking bad. Truly garbage.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Beat the story, pretty interesting overall. Very fitting that the design of the assassin's symbol is from an
    eagle's skull

Was cruising towards the platinum trophy, but there's some really assholish ones. Kill 30 enemies by shooting oil jars with fire arrows was a pain. I wish I knew about the "sell 100 trinkets in one sitting" trophy when I started the game. I would have had no problem accruing them in my 47 hours of playtime, but I sold stuff all willy nilly, and now I only have 5 of them...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Snatched this up last night because I'm a sucker for Egyptian stuff. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it so far. Probably the most I've enjoyed an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag. I'm quite fond of the RPG-lite elements they've added. Loot and bigger numbers pokes my dopamine producers in a very specific way that keeps me engaged with a system, and this scratches that itch justttt right.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i pats da cats

Two trophies to go until platinum! Trinkets and locations. It's time consuming, but doable. Completing locations should lead to trinkets, so I'll probably get them at the same time. This is definitely the kind of AC game I want from now on. First open-world game I've played in a while where I didn't get bored with it.

Also, I accidentally killed a cat... A hippo was running wild in a town, and I fought it. A cat ran between me and the hippo tho, and I chopped it with my sword. Tried to reload a checkpoint, but the hippo dying triggered a save :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    wow. I've reload saves when accidentally killed civilians in other games, but... can't say I've ever done it for an animal. I am a monster.

also thanks for pointing out that 100 trinkets thing. Good to know before I start this. <3

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Heh, I don't know if I've ever reloaded a save after accidentally killing a human NPC... I'd only reload for a cat or dog, though. Birds suck.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I usually try to murder everything the game lets me. I never got far in Spelunky because I would always try to kill the shopkeep lol

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Heh, I don't know if I've ever reloaded a save after accidentally killing a human NPC... I'd only reload for a cat or dog, though. Birds suck.

Yeah, zero collateral damage runs makes a lot of games much more challenging. Especially open worlds like GTA.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Snatched this up last night because I'm a sucker for Egyptian stuff. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it so far. Probably the most I've enjoyed an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag. I'm quite fond of the RPG-lite elements they've added. Loot and bigger numbers pokes my dopamine producers in a very specific way that keeps me engaged with a system, and this scratches that itch justttt right.

I think the best rpg element they added was definitely the side missions. Each side mission is its own little story with a mini cast of characters that often show up for multiple missions. I half expected to be able to respond with dialogue options witcher style

I'm glad it sounds like this is part of a trilog, because the open nature of the stealth and combat and such has made it so I wouldn't be able to go back to more constrictive mission design from the past

Prohass on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Great, got all the way to the end of the complete all locations achievement, turns out it's glitched if you picked up a scroll as Aya. They're working on a fix but goddamnit

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I did that. I can't find the location I haven't done yet.

Prohass wrote: »
    Great, got all the way to the end of the complete all locations achievement, turns out it's glitched if you picked up a scroll as Aya. They're working on a fix but goddamnit

Patch 1.05 rolled out today on PS4 that fixes that. XBone should be really soon.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I've rented this from Red Box twice now. First time I wasn't as enamored with it as I was Black Flag, but there was definitely something there. Second rental was like having all the right Tetris pieces fall, thinking I'll go buy this one now. Combat makes more sense than the first play, I finally realized you're supposed to attack the Roman transports if you want to easily upgrade gear, and I'm much less annoyed by red skulls now that I'm level 20.

I will say the one constant between the two plays is that I really like the main character. I don't know if its the writing or the voice actor, but Bayek is extremely likable.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited November 2017
    One really cool thing I like is the way you can tell your mount to follow a path to your objective/marker, and then jump to your bird and scout around as Bayek travels below you. That's how I find most of the little detours and side things I do, the bird spots them first, I mark it, and then take control of Bayek again and go do it. The transports with resources are a great example of something I generally see as I'm traveling from place to place and scouting with Senu.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bayek is like what they were trying to do with Connor except competently written and not immediately hosed by sharing the game with a more interesting playable character (hell, if you like Aveline, Connor is the third most interesting PC in his own and only game).

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I need to buy this. Rented it, yet again, and am now level 25 with all my gear one bar below maxed and I have Golden Wolf. This is quickly becoming my favorite Assassin's Creed game.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Bayek is like what they were trying to do with Connor except competently written and not immediately hosed by sharing the game with a more interesting playable character (hell, if you like Aveline, Connor is the third most interesting PC in his own and only game).

You don't play as Aveline in AC3

Possible Chocobo mount DLC incoming.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

You don't play as Aveline in AC3
    I think there was like a 20 minute DLC where you played as Aveline in ACIII that supposedly linked the games (it didn't). Also, Liberation was billed as ACIII: Liberation, and eventually came to PS3, so that may be where some confusion comes in.

The Aveline DLC was actually for AC4, oddly enough

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    The Aveline DLC was actually for AC4, oddly enough
    Yeah, you're right. That was such a weird, muddy time in the series. It's too bad ACIII fared so poorly, because it was obvious they were going to to an ACII style trilogy with III, Black Flag, and Rogue (or whatever speculated Haytham protag game there may have been). Actually, I wonder if Rogue began life as a Haytham game.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Rogue is such an odd footnote in the series on so many levels.

It's a decent game that felt like it should have been a Freedom Cry-style expansion. It's just so weird that they launched it on the same day as Unity and only ever for the old gen.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2017
    It's a decent game that felt like it should have been a Freedom Cry-style expansion. It's just so weird that they launched it on the same day as Unity and only ever for the old gen.

I'll play it the day it comes out on 360 backwards compatibility. It's odd that at this point, the only "main" AC game you cannot play on the xbox one is that one.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »

I'll play it the day it comes out on 360 backwards compatibility. It's odd that at this point, the only "main" AC game you cannot play on the xbox one is that one.

You can play it on Xbox One

You just can't buy it through Xbox One because of whatever dumb reasons Xbox won't let you buy some 360 games on One (and tells you to go buy it on the website or a 360 instead)

• ErrorError Registered User regular
    I saw an article recently saying retailers are listing Rogue for a current gen remake release sometime in April, so maybe don't go buying the old version at all just yet.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Rogue is in the running for my favorite of the series, in terms of gameplay and exploration. It was miles better than Unity, at the least.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I got this on black friday and I'm super enjoying it. Bayek is one of my favorite protagonists, possibly my favorite and the main quest doesn't make me cringe the whole time.

Though man alive that fire spear boss in the cyrene arena can suck my dick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I picked up a legendary curved sword that poisons on hit the other night. It's stupidly strong. Definitely going to hold on to this and keep it upgraded.

Also, please, Ubi, just stop with the out of animus stuff, or give me a way to say I don't care....because I don't. All it does is distract me from being a bad ass while I explore Egypt. I couldn't care less about the Abstergo meta story at this point. At some point in the series it was interesting but now it's just generic dystopian corporation meta gloss on my ancient history simulator.

Yeah I have one from the edition I bought that was poison on hit and bleed on hit. Though honestly I prefer the roman swords for speed and their over power attack lets you chain kill. Felt pretty dumb this morning after I realized I had not equipped my second bow slot and had instead been manually equipping/unequipping my predator and hunter bow.

And yeah the meta story is just why at this point? It feels so unconnected to the more interesting "all these world leaders were conspiring with each other" story. Just like in 4 the interesting story was pirating near the end of piracy, the least interesting part was templar assassin bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Error wrote: »
    I saw an article recently saying retailers are listing Rogue for a current gen remake release sometime in April, so maybe don't go buying the old version at all just yet.

Oh god I hope so

I found the last gen version's framerate insufferable

• ErrorError Registered User regular
    Yeah, after the Ezio collection, AC III and Rogue are the only main line games to not be on modern consoles natively.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I certainly hope so, Rogue was great.

Yeah, after the Ezio collection, AC III and Rogue are the only main line games to not be on modern consoles natively.
    Oh, and the original I guess.

AC1 is barely a game, its a tech demo. The Ezio games are pretty much the start of everything people actually like about the AC games.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    AC1 rules

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I love the first game a lot, but they absolutely hit their stride with AC2. I love all the games up to Revelations, I even liked AC3 but after that it was... less interesting. I feel like they rushed into the conclusion of Diamond's arc.