As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 1

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A - Typhoid Mary. Is that nipple in that picture? She wins the game if so

Match B - This is a good one. I think the Riddler is sneaky enough to make it to the center while fucking with Braniac to win

Match C - The mandarin wins this one quickly. His rings are going to be too much for Doomsday because all he's good at is smashing.

Match D - Silver Samurai. Mac Gargan Venom is a puss.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A: Typhoid Mary. I don't see how "being crazier" makes you more apt to win.
    Match B: Brainiac. I don't even see how this one is a challenge.
    Match C: Doomsday. The guy killed Superman
    Match D: Silver Samurai. Life long training combined with some pretty great powers, not to mention the volcanoe and Venom's weakness to fire.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    It's not that Braniac is bad at mazes, it's just that that kind of thing seems perfectly suited to the way the Riddler thinks.

I'm not really sure how the Riddler could get through an unknown maze designed by a villain unknown to him, without using the standard, "follow the left wall all the way" trick.

I think it's kind of a silly set-up.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Joker is not just crazier, he is a good measure smarter and more wily than Typhoid Mary could ever even hope to be. He could easily outsmart and confuse her, play mind games with her and possibly talk her into suicide.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Exactly. Joker is crazier but Mary is more unstable if that makes any sense.

He's not going to be blowing his own brains out or anything any time soon. Or ever.

Furu on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    The Joker is not just crazier, he is a good measure smarter and more wily than Typhoid Mary could ever even hope to be. He could easily outsmart and confuse her, play mind games with her and possibly talk her into suicide.

Look up Typhoid Mary's wiki....

Read up on her "Bloody Mary" personality...

Fight OVER.

No matter what form she start's out in, as soon as the Joker makes an attempt on her life, it's Bloody Mary time, and he's dead....really...REALLY dead.

Transporter on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    It's not that Braniac is bad at mazes, it's just that that kind of thing seems perfectly suited to the way the Riddler thinks.

I'm not really sure how the Riddler could get through an unknown maze designed by a villain unknown to him, without using the standard, "follow the left wall all the way" trick.

I think it's kind of a silly set-up.

Just because that got mentioned for the second time now: The follow left/right wall thing only works in mazes with an entrance and an exit both on the outside. As this maze has the goal in the center it could easily be constructed so that the standard approach doesn't work.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Unless Typhoid Mary's powers involve being able to fight without breathing I don't think she has any resistence to Joker Gas.

Which I'm mildly sure will kill her pretty dead.

Furu on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    No no no.

This is a fight. The joker, he is no good at fights. He's good at fucking with people and stuff. Whens the last time he actually beat someone in a fight?

Especially a ninja that can set you on fire with her brain. The Joker has no powers. He's not going to win in a fight. And Mary isn't the kind of person to dick around. She'll see him and light him on fire.

Joker is not well suited for a fight. That's why he hired goons.

Typhoid Mary is. She'd kick his ass. He doesn't have time to come up with some elaborate trap or anything. There is no way he is going to take out skilled fighter in a situation like this. Especially, and I repeat, when all she has to do is think, and he'll be on fire.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fight A: Typhoid Mary - As much as I like the Joker, her powers with telekinesis and pyrokinesis seem that might hold up well against Joker.
    Fight B: Brainiac - If I remember correctly, he has outsmarted Lex and various other super-intellects.
    Fight C: The Mandarin - Yeah, Doomsday killed Superman, but those rings should totally fuck him up.
    Fight D: Silver Samurai - Nothing about Gargan Venom has me impressed.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Unless Typhoid Mary's powers involve being able to fight without breathing I don't think she has any resistence to Joker Gas.

Nor could Joker survive a knife to his head.

They could both easily kill each other, though Joker would be more easily killed since h's a very frail human being.

Sure Joker could try to fuck with Typhoid's head, but as soon as she starts to lose it her other personality will take over and be far less inclined to even listen to what ole' paleface has to say.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

She can use her telekinesis to form a forcefield to create an airtight pocket so his gas can't get in. Or she can just fly out of the cloud of gas. Or burn the gas so it has no effect.

She is not some weak ass third string character, she is legitimately powerful.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I kind of want Joker to move on because he's Joker. But I have a hard time figuring out what exactly makes Joker win.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I kind of want Joker to move on because he's Joker. But I have a hard time figuring out what exactly makes Joker win.

Crazy.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Being crazy doesn't help when you are on fire.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's Typhoid all the way. Joker gets his ass handed to him on a regular basis. This is just one more instance of it happening.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    and the ability to make other people crazy (Joker gas) is not very effective on people who are already demented, is it?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    and the ability to make other people crazy (Joker gas) is not very effective on people who are already demented, is it?

Joker gas is actually fatal though, not just crazy inducing.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

how fast acting is it? fast enough to keep Mary from incinerating him?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

Dosen't matter. I'm fairly sure pulling a pin on a grenade, then, tossing said grenade takes longer then someone THINKING you on fire....

Or punching a hole through you via telekinesis...

Or just flying away....

Or throwing multiple knives through said person's skull...

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

It's doubtful that he'd even get the chance. We're talking about someone who has repeatedly gotten the drop on fucking Daredevil.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Murdock goes easy on the villains that he's given it to in the past.

Just ask Gladiator.

edit: I'm sorry, Daredevil. You're still my favorite.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You guys need to keep the landscape and rules for each match in mind. Doom is a smart guy. He picked his battles carefully. These aren't the slugfests of the Hero Tourney.

1: Joker. If this were a western shoot out, Mary Wins. But this is an Urban landscape. Joker woud lay traps, lure her, taunt her, wears her down. He finally offs her, and then makes out with her corse as he thinks of what could have been.

2) Riddler. Brainiac is a genius...but I know geniuses that can't figure out some simple things. And in his case he seems to often underestimate the human mind. Whereas the Riddler is a conesour of it. Not to mention wise use of the bombs.

3) Not sure about this. I think Doomsday is a cheese villian. And for those saying he resisted the omega effect...Kirby is rolling in his grave for that bullshit. I think what may give Mandarin the edge on this is that Doomsday evolves...well, Mandarin has ten ways to try and stop him. It depends on how cunning Mandarin is, in my opinion.

4) Samurai. It's the combat skills that will save him. Venom is used to fighting a guy who relies on his reflexes. Not a highly trained warrior...with the ability to teleport away!

Well done Doom...I find these battles more interesting. Brains can come into play as much as brawn.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Joker is bad at fighting, but he is really tremendously good at killing people.

Joker gas is almost instantly fatal, and someone who would be under its effects wouldn't be able to concentrate hard enough to use any magic brain powers.

It might only take one attempt on her life to trigger the Bloody Mary persona, but if the Joker makes an attempt on the life of someone who does not know him very well, that person's life is pretty much forfeit.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Joker loses because he goes up against Batman.

No one says this has to be a straight fight. Joker certainly isn't going to play it like that.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

No one says this has to be a straight fight. Joker certainly isn't going to play it like that.

Most people here are treating it that way....like Joker is going to go up to her and try and get her to smell his flower, and she just burns him. Because we all know that is what a genius would do in a potential fight to the death: walk up to an unknown threat and basically say "what powers do you have? Oh, burning me to death, good one."

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Genius or not, this is the Joker.

He will more than likely chase Mary around with a giant mallet, holding forth on how unfair it is that Doom is DOCTOR Doom, but he's just THE Joker, Mr. J at best. Where's his title? He blew up a college, dammit! That's worth a de-god-damn-gree! He is of course wearing a robe and mortarboard the whole time. Then, when Mary goes all psycho, Joker will say something like, "That's not nice. I was just playing," and shoot her in the face.

That is, of course, under the assumption that Joker would win. Which I don't know is the case. But that would be fun, at least.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joker: he has several methods of winning this, crazy seduction, joker venom darts/gas/squirt gun (see joker venom wiki), oh and bullets. also, he can probably talk her into killing herself without getting bloody mary involved.

also, thats not just nipple, but nipple ring in there too. points for that, but still not enough.

Brainiac: unless there is some door or something that only opens to an answer of some emotion that brainiac has no way of understanding, he wins.

Mandarin: if the disintegration ring is an insta-kill, he could use the mind ring to slow down doomsday so it will hit along with all his other damaging rings for the win. If that won't work, he could turn him to stone or something with the matter re-arranger ring, but thats bordering on an over-powered ability.

Silver Samurai: teleportation hax + energy channelling (could approximate a heat/laser/sonic blast/slash) + VOLCANO = not a round for venom, brock or otherwise.

mcwillip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Most people here are treating it that way....like Joker is going to go up to her and try and get her to smell his flower, and she just burns him. Because we all know that is what a genius would do in a potential fight to the death: walk up to an unknown threat and basically say "what powers do you have? Oh, burning me to death, good one."

But see, that's the thing. Typhoid Mary isn't the type of person to asses "threat levels". She's a fucking crazy MASS-MURDERER.

It get's worse when she's Bloody Mary. She goes from "crazy violent bitch" to "KILL EVERY SINGLE THING WITH PENIS IN SIGHT".

Tack on the fact that she can fly, along with the fact that she can make telekinetic force fields, ALONG with the fact that she can create, control, absorb, and SET people on fire, Joker stands really no chance in this fight whatsoever, no matter WHAT crazy scheme he has planned.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What if his crazy scheme is to get set on fire?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

But see, that's the thing. Typhoid Mary isn't the type of person to asses "threat levels". She's a fucking crazy MASS-MURDERER.

It get's worse when she's Bloody Mary. She goes from "crazy violent bitch" to "KILL EVERY SINGLE THING WITH PENIS IN SIGHT".

Tack on the fact that she can fly, along with the fact that she can make telekinetic force fields, ALONG with the fact that she can create, control, absorb, and SET people on fire, Joker stands really no chance in this fight whatsoever, no matter WHAT crazy scheme he has planned.

The Joker's got plenty of ways to kill Mary. His crazy schemes are crazy enough to work.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mary is crazy crazy. Joker is crazy smart.

There's just no way I'm voting against a guy who once beat Scarecrow half to death with a chair.

Furu on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joker gets time to plant traps?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

The Joker's got plenty of ways to kill Mary. His crazy schemes are crazy enough to work.

You've yet to give a logical reason why the Joker (who has been beaten up by everyone from Robin, to Catwoman) has a chance against Typhoid Mary, who routinely kicks the shit out of Daredevil, and was one of the Kingpin's top assassins.

The Joker is awesome, but he's not a fighter. His greatest hits include shooting a girl in her pajamas, and beating a child to death with a crow bar.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

So, vastly superior intellect, insta kill gas bombs, acid, and a million volts can't hurt her...wow, she sound slike superman...oh wait, she isn't. All of those things can kill her.

Yes, she CAN do what you said, but obviously her shield aren't invulnerable, or no one could bear her. And do they keep out gas? If so, how does she breathe?

In so many of these fight, folks around here like to ignore having someone out think you. Having bigger guns does not mean you always win. I mean, isn't she a Daredevil Villian? He has, what, super awesome senses? How does he manage to not burn to death? How does he get through her shields? He can't fly...how does he catch up to her?

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

So, vastly superior intellect, insta kill gas bombs, acid, and a million volts can't hurt her...wow, she sound slike superman...oh wait, she isn't. All of those things can kill her.

Yes, she CAN do what you said, but obviously her shield aren't invulnerable, or no one could bear her. And do they keep out gas? If so, how does she breathe?

In so many of these fight, folks around here like to ignore having someone out think you. Having bigger guns does not mean you always win. I mean, isn't she a Daredevil Villian? He has, what, super awesome senses? How does he manage to not burn to death? How does he get through her shields? He can't fly...how does he catch up to her?

Since when is the Joker known for his "vastly superior intellect?"

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    If you're saying Joker isn't a hell of a lot smarter than Typhoid Mary, that's pretty silly.

He creates his own gases and chemicals on a regular basis.

The dude matches wits with Batman on an even more regular basis.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

You've yet to give a logical reason why the Joker (who has been beaten up by everyone from Robin, to Catwoman) has a chance against Typhoid Mary, who routinely kicks the shit out of Daredevil, and was one of the Kingpin's top assassins.

The Joker is awesome, but he's not a fighter. His greatest hits include shooting a girl in her pajamas, and beating a child to death with a crow bar.

Didn't joker like recently kill a guy who almost unmade the whole universe?

Here's the tough part about me telling you how Joker wins...I am not an insane super-genius. I also can't tell you how Luthor with outsmart superman...because I ain't a criminal mastermind.

Sure Joker has lost for Batman, Robin, Batgirl...you know, some of the worlds greatest detectives and masterminds. But when he wanted to hurt one of the, they ended up with their legs no workie.

Thing is, Joker knows when he fights bats, if he loses, he just goes away for awhile. But he would also know that this is a villian battle...and villians will play to the death...I don't think he is ready to die yet.

Besides, even without me being a criminal mastermin, in an urban setting, I go find a tap recorder, tape myself insulting miss half mask...tell her that her mother wore combat boots, and I play the tape, and watch from a distance...oh crap, she burned the pace down, and can fly! Well, now I know that, and she still knows dick about me.
    Next I lure her into a place she can't just burn down...subway station...I tell her over the PA system that everyone hates her nipple ring. She charges in, gas bombs go off, dead lady.

Joker has an empty city at his disposal. Which has TONS of left behind cleaners and chemicals...all kinds of bad things can happen!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Since when is the Joker known for his "vastly superior intellect?"

Um...Mr. Doom did...and he doesn't lie (so he says).

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mary being insane is definitely a bonus to Joker. He knows insane better than anybody, and he'd be able to manipulate her in ways he can't manipulate people like Robin and Catwoman.

Besides, in comics, the good guy almost always has to win, so of course Robin and Catwoman have beaten him.

Scooter on