As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So I now have Concordia. But with the amount of different Christmas parties the members of my gaming group will have over the next few weekends, I'm gonna have to wait a couple more weeks before I can play it, though. Bummer.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Anybody know what this is from?

6kmpj7vt7n2c.jpg

I'm guessing it's a boardgame, but given how off centre the die cut is on the lightning bolt side, maybe not?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Something called Loony Quest as far as I can tell.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm low-key impressed that you managed to find something so small and random in 12 minutes.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Oh no I trained up my dad in TTA and he beat me yesterday. I'm so proud, my little man is all grown up!

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Kicked off Pandemic Legacy: S2 on Sunday evening. We won January on our first go, but only thanks to a very timely One Quiet Night draw. That allowed us to freeze the Incident Tracker at 7 long enough for me to build the final Supply Center and win. Phew!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My group just finished up October, some of the synergies you can get going make me curious how much things were playtested but we crushed the month.

We’ll be meeting up on Thursday for the final push through the last two months. We are feeling supremely confident so I expect hubris will be our undoing.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Whereas my group just finished with April.
    First we were lucky enough to stumble upon the Pacific Haven, which turned everything around. Still weren't able to get enough Supply Centers down but went into the back half with a much improved morale and even used one of the character upgrades to make our Laborer into a dual-class Architect for max shenanigans.

Started game 2 with a blue card and a blue card with the Foundation upgrade. Got that supply center built quick and the rest of the game mostly followed suit. The best part? We avoided the 4-loss streak and reset the counter on the Turning Point!
    We've also stuffed 15 infection cards into Box 6 already, and nearly 10 City cards.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just played Codenames Pictures for the first time. Won a bunch and then got fucked by that terrible eyeball tied to a ring. What is that supposed to be? What is the normal object it's disrupting? What gets tied to a ring? Why is the eye drawn so poorly that my girlfriend was sure it was a cross section of a tunnel until the end of the game? It's garbage and I hope whoever drew that one dies by getting his eyes pulled out after they are inexplicably tied to rings.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I hate pictures

too hard for me

sig.gif
    We generally find pictures significantly easier than regular codenames. The most fun is to use half and half though.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I picked up a copy of Spirit Island, largely based on boardgames reddit having nothing but positive things to say about it. For months I followed this praise and there was very little dissent from the idea that this was an extremely deep, very replayable, challenging, unique co-op. So, When I finally had the game and sat down to play, I was very excited.

The first game we played with all the recommended, first time playing rules/set-up, we won fairly handily. I figured it was supposed to be easy as a learning game (0/10 difficulty, according to the rule book) and set up to play another with one of the adversaries (Prussia, lvl 3 - so, difficulty 6/10). While there was certainly more threats to deal with, and we took longer to strategize, we won that handily, too.

The next day we played again with Prussia level 6 (difficulty 10/10) and managed to win again with little incident.

In all the games, it seeed like by turn 4 or 5 we had all the tools necessary to deal with anything the game threw at us and it was just a matter of patiently building enough fear to get terror to level 3 to win by having no cities on the board.

When I play a co-op game I expect and want to lose for awhile. Even when I’ve gotten to a mastery point over the game, I want to lose at least half the time. I’m severely disappointed that it seems that we managed to solve this one in just a few plays.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Pictures does seem way easier, but that one card is basically unusable. I might actually sneak it out of the box and burn it while she's not looking.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see this mysterious icon now

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm curious to see this mysterious icon now

9etpwx04vswk.jpg
    Second from the top, middle card.

It's hard to tell from this distance, but when my gf explained why it looked like a cross section of a tube, I kind of understood. The fact that the eye highlight doesn't break the line defining the iris of the eye is visually confusing.

Mainly though it's just a weird card that doesn't really combine disparate ideas like every other card does.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    It looks like it combined yo-yo and eye ball.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    It's a pocket watch.

...get it?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    To be honest, it doesn't strike me as any more esoteric than a bunch of the other images in that picture. What disparate ideas are being combined by the steam-butterflies coming out of a tea pot? Or the invisible person wearing ratty pants and flip-flops?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    When I play a co-op game I expect and want to lose for awhile. Even when I’ve gotten to a mastery point over the game, I want to lose at least half the time. I’m severely disappointed that it seems that we managed to solve this one in just a few plays.

Are you confident you've gotten all the rules correct? If "hardest difficulty" is still a cakewalk, I usually assume I'm cheating somehow to make things easier on myself.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Picked up Fallout (at Gamestop of all places and 20% off to boot) and it looks like I'll enjoy it but fuck FFG still can't write a rulebook that is designed for human beings. Here's a Learn to Play book to get you started and a full rulebook for once you get the hang of it. Oh all the rules you need to know are actually spread across both books and not always listed in both and good luck finding the specific use case you need in a pinch. And I'd even say this is an improvement over some of their older ones.

Despite that, I haven't gotten through a full learning game yet but it's hitting the right buttons for me so far, whether that's because I love the Fallout IP so much or it's an actually good game is not something I know yet. The player boards are great (wishing Gloomhaven's boards had used the peg system they've got here) and most of the other components are good. A pet peeve is the characters are a little too big for the map spaces, which doesn't impact gameplay at all, it's just personally annoying.

Fry wrote: »

Are you confident you've gotten all the rules correct? If "hardest difficulty" is still a cakewalk, I usually assume I'm cheating somehow to make things easier on myself.

I read through a FAQ and looked up a list of commonly missed rules and based on those, we’re playing everything correctly. To be fair each game through turns 2-4 has seemed like we’re going to lose, just barely scraping by. But each time there’s a plateau point where our spirits together got powerful enough to trivialize everything thereafter.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you want a difficult co-op game, try out Freedom: The Underground Railroad...

Or Ghost Stories
    I do not believe you can win at that game

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I really did not enjoy Ghost Stories at all.

It's not the difficulty so much as that there's nothing preventing quarterbacking and none of the decisions were fun or exciting even for the quarterbacks.

For better or worse, I think Ghost Stories has set my bar for expectations of challenge from a co-op game.

I agree GS suffers from quarterbacking issues, though. That is one positive about Spirit Island. It has too much going on for one player to be able to dominate decision-making.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Quarterbacking meaning one person can basically tell everyone what to do? I'm bad about that in Pandemic.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Fry wrote: »

I read through a FAQ and looked up a list of commonly missed rules and based on those, we’re playing everything correctly. To be fair each game through turns 2-4 has seemed like we’re going to lose, just barely scraping by. But each time there’s a plateau point where our spirits together got powerful enough to trivialize everything thereafter.

That pretty much matches my experience of Spirit Island in games I've won of it, but on a somewhat shorter timeframe, fwiw.

If all goes well you eventually hit a point where you can pay for something huge on at least one spirit every round, then hem in the settlers and wear them out.
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    I really did not enjoy Ghost Stories at all.

It's not the difficulty so much as that there's nothing preventing quarterbacking and none of the decisions were fun or exciting even for the quarterbacks.

You can, though I was at like a 1-for-8 winrate before I started using White Moon, which helps more than it hinders.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Having said all this, I just clicked purchase on the expansion for Spirit Island because I’m a dumb, dumb person with no willpower.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I have not gotten to do anything with my copy of spirit island yet beyond open the box, but i will say it has a very nice insert setup. everything has a place, and its sorted nicely.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    'Finished' first learning game of Fallout. MANY little mistakes that snowballed and ended up in a game state so screwed up there was no point finishing. I think next go around will be much better. Having said that, this is not going to be a short game; even with rules fluency it feels like it'll be about a 3 hour playtime. Which to be fair it's billed as 2-3 hours so that's pretty accurate. I think this is going to be the rare-ish case where it might actually be faster with more players, the win state is gathering Influence and the amount of Influence required to win goes down as the player count rises. One of the things I like the best so far is the branching quest system, it's like a 7th Continent-lite choose your own adventure thing. (If choose option 1 and succeed, add card 123 to the deck, if fail add 124, etc etc).

A big BIG downside though is while it's billed as solo playable, you lose, in my opinion, a HUGE facet of the gameplay in that when presented with quest options, you're supposed to have another player read you the options and omit the outcomes. As a solo player, obviously that isn't a factor. The rulebook flat out states 'try not to look at the outcomes when making these choices.' Yeah ok thanks. I don't think there's any realistic way they could have done this differently but it's still frustrating.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Kicked off Pandemic Legacy: S2 on Sunday evening. We won January on our first go, but only thanks to a very timely One Quiet Night draw. That allowed us to freeze the Incident Tracker at 7 long enough for me to build the final Supply Center and win. Phew!

Question regarding what you wrote:
    So you were in a position to do both the Supply Center AND the recon in one turn? Jeez, that's a LOT of cards. I guess you could do it if you had the char with 4 to build and a complete hand of 7 blues, but.. jeez. That's what we screwed up - not realizing you couldn't recon without a supply center.

In other news:

FFG has learned yet another way to print money, it seems.

Mansions of Madness gets its third expansion in a year and a half! $30, 2 scenarios, 2 adventurers, and 1 monster (need clarification if it is one monster model or one monster)

mad26_sample.png

I actually don't mind this strategy. There's not a ton of meat there, but it's a $30 expansion which is on the cheaper side - especially compared to the 1st edition Print on Demands which were $15 for a single scenario.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    'Finished' first learning game of Fallout. MANY little mistakes that snowballed and ended up in a game state so screwed up there was no point finishing. I think next go around will be much better. Having said that, this is not going to be a short game; even with rules fluency it feels like it'll be about a 3 hour playtime. Which to be fair it's billed as 2-3 hours so that's pretty accurate. I think this is going to be the rare-ish case where it might actually be faster with more players, the win state is gathering Influence and the amount of Influence required to win goes down as the player count rises. One of the things I like the best so far is the branching quest system, it's like a 7th Continent-lite choose your own adventure thing. (If choose option 1 and succeed, add card 123 to the deck, if fail add 124, etc etc).

A big BIG downside though is while it's billed as solo playable, you lose, in my opinion, a HUGE facet of the gameplay in that when presented with quest options, you're supposed to have another player read you the options and omit the outcomes. As a solo player, obviously that isn't a factor. The rulebook flat out states 'try not to look at the outcomes when making these choices.' Yeah ok thanks. I don't think there's any realistic way they could have done this differently but it's still frustrating.

Looking forward to trying this one. I watched part of a playthrough and it looks like remembering where each baddie spawns from is going to be hassle.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1895129/fallout-enthusiastically-conflicted-review-primari/page/1

This discussion of fallout and the agenda cards/scoring/win conditions has really cooled me on fallout... It sounds like a pretty fatal flaw in the design I dunno.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone have suggestions for the type of liquid green stuff to fill cracks in Kingdom Death Monster miniatures?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Question regarding what you wrote:
    So you were in a position to do both the Supply Center AND the recon in one turn? Jeez, that's a LOT of cards. I guess you could do it if you had the char with 4 to build and a complete hand of 7 blues, but.. jeez. That's what we screwed up - not realizing you couldn't recon without a supply center.

You know the last supply center doesn't need to be the one you use for the other objective, right?

Having said all this, I just clicked purchase on the expansion for Spirit Island because I’m a dumb, dumb person with no willpower.

Adding Branch & Claw might help your perceived lack of difficulty thanks to the events and diluted powers decks.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone have suggestions for the type of liquid green stuff to fill cracks in Kingdom Death Monster miniatures?

look for something called green stuff. it comes in a stick (like playdoh) as well as a paintable version in a jar.

Guys, I'm pretty sure I learned about Charterstone in this thread. My copy from Amazon has been flagged as shipped and I'm suppose to get it by Saturday night, but ive reading on reddit that the fufillment company may be one that has scammed buyers and amazon a bit. Has anyone gotten there copy already and did it come from Game Boarders?

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Looking forward to trying this one. I watched part of a playthrough and it looks like remembering where each baddie spawns from is going to be hassle.

Yes this was the biggest mistake I made, and it's because of the damn rule book. The respawn rule is written differently in each book. To sum up: The Learn To Play book states respawn one enemy on the nearest empty spawn icon, the Rules Reference states spawn on the nearest icon. It feels most likely to be the the Learn To Play version, but it really needs to be officially addressed as they change the flow of the game significantly depending on which you follow. Never mind the fact that "If my character is standing on a spawn icon, does that space count as the nearest spawn?" is not addressed; I discovered through gameplay it must be yes but it would have saved much headache to have it clear ahead of time.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Tried Deception: Murder in Hong Kong with a group that hadn't tried it before. I thought it would be a hit because literally over 90% of the games they play are nothing but Secret Hitler, The Resistance, and Werewolf (Ultimate and One Night).

And...they mostly didn't like it. Their unanimous complaint was that there was no incentive to accuse someone early and no penalty for waiting for all the clues to be out.

I just didn't understand how that was a negative. Even if that was a mechanic you cared about (for some reason), how does One Night Werewolf not fall under that category?

My only nitpick is that sometimes it falls prone to "Guess Who Syndrome", where you can be screwed by cards that allow the forensic scientist to provide specific clues that instantly narrow it down to you (named after the tendency for someone to be screwed in Guess Who if they got someone with glasses or a black person, since there were only about 3 of each in the whole game). For example, I was the murderer and I figured I'd go with kerosene as the murder weapon because the only means of murder clue that would fit is "accident" and that could mean anything. Well, the scientist draws a "state of the scene" card with the clue "ashes" on it. There were only TWO cards on the table related to fire so everyone instantly narrowed it down to me and my kerosene.

Deception is a hit wherever I take it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My group beats ghost stories plus expansion pretty much 100% of the time on normal and most of the time on the difficulty above that but it’s always a tight run thing.

You reaaaaally need to focus on tunr efficiency in that game.