As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mafia de Cuba] Don don done. (Agent Victory)

Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Critical Failures
The Game
In Mafia de Cuba, you all are a band of jewel thieves who have recently carried out a wonderful heist. The Don of the group hid the haul in his cigar box under a fake bottom, leaving it unguarded til the morning when he could move the gems to market. Naturally, since you're all a bunch of thieves, the box was looted! Now it's time for everyone to sit down in front of the Don, explain themselves, and sweat. It plays in some ways similar to a Phalla, some ways very differently. There are no night phases and no player elimination.

Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3-CM52z-g has a nice review of the board version.

This is a game for 6-12 players. One player will be the Don, with the goal of retrieving their stolen diamonds. The game begins with a box containing 15 diamonds, and several role tokens which decide what a player is going to be. Before play begins, the Don has the option of hiding between no and five diamonds away from the other players. Then the cigar box is passed around (via PM in this case) until it circles the group and returns to the Don.

As the box reaches each player, they remove one item from it. Either a role token, or any number of diamonds. If you take a role token, you take that role. If you take diamonds, you become a thief. Once the box returns to the Don, play begins. All players may talk here, but it's the Don who's running the show. Their job is to interrogate the other players and figure out who took diamonds. Once you think you know, tell them in bold red to empty their pockets.. That player then reveals what they took from the box.

If it was diamonds, the Don collects the diamonds and play continues, with more questions and more accusations until either all diamonds have been recovered or the Don gets it wrong. What happens when the Don gets it wrong depends on the roles. Speaking of:

The roles are:
Loyal Henchmen- you win with the Don. Your job is to help the Don figure out who stole the diamonds.
CIA/FBI agents- you win if the Don accuses you of being a thief. Only the accused agent wins- the others lose.
The Driver- you win with the person before you in the play list.
Jewel thief- you win if the Don accuses a driver, Henchman, or Street Urchin. However, only one thief wins- the one with the most diamonds! Keep that in mind when choosing how many to take.
Street Urchin- special role! You win with the jewel thief. If the box is empty when it gets to you, you get this role by default.

Two players have special options:
The last player may chose to be a Street Urchin even if the box isn't empty.
The first non-Don player may remove a role token from the game. For example, you could take a henchman token and remove the CIA from play. Or take diamonds and remove a henchman. Or just take diamonds.

The number of roles will depend on the number of players. As the player count rises, so does the number of roles. To keep things balanced, when the player count rises enough the Don gets "do over" tokens. One with a medium number of players, two with more. These simply negate a henchmab, urchin or driver pick, letting play continue. They don't protect you from the CIA or FBI!

In the board game there's another role- the Cleaner- but we'll be leaving that one out.

No PM communication except with me. Everything in this game is very public. This game lives and dies on active players- please check the thread often. Players that fail to respond to a Don question within 24 hours will be replaced, as will inactive Dons.

If you are forced to reveal your pockets, you aren't out of the game! You can still say whatever you want. Of course if you were a thief the Don might not believe you..

The Don will be chosen by vote before play begins. Vote for yourself if you want! Ties are broken by GM whim.

Signup in bold limegreen

Ask for clarifications in Bold DarkOrange.

This tends to be a very quick game in person, so if everyone is interested we may do multiple rounds.

Player Order:
Sir fabulous
jdarksun
Egos
MrTLicious
Bluecyan
Ringo
Auralynx
Zombie Hero
Phyphor
Gizzy
discrider

Starting box contents:
15 diamonds
4 loyal henchmen tokens
2 agents
2 drivers

Once play begins the don will have two Joker tokens (do overs).

Phoenix-D on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Can I be Jigen?

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    !yep

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    You come to me on the day of my daughter's wedding...

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    What do I know about diamonds? Don't they come from Antwerp?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That's the minimum, so we're good. Still plenty of space so I'll leave it open til Monday

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    One last job and then I retire....

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    This looks fun like that game where we stabbed each other. Weekends are awful for me though.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sorry, rescinding my signup for now, chaotic week ahead.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Last call!

Thread, you may begin voting for a don; signups will be open until that's done. (Vote as you join)

• Options
    I'd feel bad stealing from anyone but !jdarksun :)

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Sir Fab is clearly the Don

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    jdarksun seems the most amusing choice

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Sign up since this has taken long enough to get rolling that I'll have time!

Don Sir Fabulous seems pretty reasonable to me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    @jdarksun @Bluecyan @Sir Fabulous

Vote for Don please!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    If there is still room, I'd like to join.

If I'm in my vote goes towards Sir Fab.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    4 slots left! We will begin when the last joined player votes or when we hit 12.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Who would dare steal from the malevolent squid Don, Sir Fabulous? Not I for sure.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Sir Fab still has more votes, but I'll go ahead with jdarksun to make it interesting.

• Options
    One vote remains. Still last second chance to join!

Smalll rules note: officially diamond thieves that get caught are eliminated and can't talk; we aren't using that rule.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    You mean I get to choose to be the hidden traitor? Awesome
    jdark

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    What could go wrong?
    sir fabulous

• Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Gizzy

Needs to vote too.

• Options
    I did :p

• Options
    If our dear cephapod is still in, he will be the Don. Otherwise, it'll fall back to jdarksun. Last-last call on players.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    fine
    jdark
    seemed like a trustworthy fellow last game.

I'm interested to see how this plays out as a PbP game.
    Seems to me that there should be a lot of cross-table talk that may not happen if the Don is asleep when a player isn't and vice versa.

discrider on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    fine
    jdark
    seemed like a trustworthy fellow last game.

I'm interested to see how this plays out as a PbP game.
    Seems to me that there should be a lot of cross-table talk that may not happen if the Don is asleep when a player isn't and vice versa.

This is equally true of Mafia; remember that any player here can talk whenever they please! But it's definitely experimental.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Thank you all for gathering here.

I am humbled that even though I was imprisoned for the voting period, you have all put your trust in me. Trust goes both ways, of course, so now I put my trust in you.

You are all family to me. I love you as my family, and I will take care of you as any self-respecting adult would take care of their family.

It is very painful to me to hear rumours that there are thieves within my family. These rumours are terrible, terrible lies. I know there are no thieves here. When people insist on lying to my face, it makes me very angry.

You all know how unhealthy anger can be...

Now, I think that you all deserve a night of celebration. Please, enjoy yourselves. I will sell the diamonds in the morning.

You have all made me very proud.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Yo boss.
    MrT has palmed all the diamonds and...
    well, they're not shiny anymore.

• Options
    What's that Mumbles?

Ringo took all the diamonds, you say?

Well wouldn't I know if Ringo took all the diamonds?

You'll have to get cleverer than that, Mumbles!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Yo boss.

But importantly they are still there!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yo boss.

We probably shouldn't have stopped by that food truck on the way back from the heist!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited December 2017
    OP updated with player list (important this is also the box theft order) and starting box contents.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    About halfway through the box handoff phase of the game.

Edit: two players left.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    @sir fabulous @jdarksun @Egos @MrTLicious @Bluecyan @Ringo @Auralynx @Zombie Hero @Phyphor @Gizzy @discrider

The box has returned to the Don and the investgation phase begins now. Remember only the Don may force someone to empty their pockets (Sir Fabulous please @me in those posts, and @thr target as well)

But otherwise- Anyone can offer whatever help, or lack thereof, to the Don they wish.

• Options
    Yo boss.
    Wasn't sure what other punks would get their mitts on the case, so I got all your gems right here.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Reporting for duty! I trust all our diamonds are where they should be, in the box with a very good lock, right?