As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroes Omega] RIP Gazillion Shut Down, Game Servers Close 11/24

1575859606163»

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    This game never should have been forced online-only and now because it was people who spent hundreds of dollars on it can't play it ever again.

Welcome to the future of gaming.

Aren't Diablo 3 and Path of Exile also online only? Though I think D3 might have an offline mode for consoles.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Encifer wrote: »
    I have 600 hours in Marvel Heroes and this news makes me very emotional.

739 hours here. Had a blast, even with the awful hero balance for the first couple years (Colossus main from launch). I'm sad but at least I got my time and money's worth. I feel bad for anyone that played for 2-3 months and spent money.

I'll miss you crazy Midtown madness events!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This game never should have been forced online-only and now because it was people who spent hundreds of dollars on it can't play it ever again.

Aren't Diablo 3 and Path of Exile also online only? Though I think D3 might have an offline mode for consoles.

It's going to lead to some problems for gaming history when there are massive gaps in what we still have around and available to play, not because the hardware is all outdated and defunct, or because the discs/cartridges are damaged, but because the servers got shut down.

A lot of mobile games are like this as well already. People are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a day on Galaxy of Heroes or Star Trek Timelines or Dragonvale or whatever, and the day will come that it'll all vanish into the aether. The Battlefront 2 servers will become ghost towns and shut down, with the millions of copies and piles of crates lost to one or both aspects, as another example ripped from the headlines.

At least a lot of really old console and PC games can often be emulated, or worst case scenario some dedicated person or team will do their best to recreate what was lost in loving detail, but I imagine that's a much bigger project when a lot of that info doesn't even exist client side.

I can go into threads and wax nostalgic about the original Deus Ex or X-Com and even go reinstall both of them in a working fashion on a modern PC, but an entire era of gaming (driven towards online for multiplayer, and because fuck you, that's why and micro transactions) could disappear with only youtube videos to fall back on in many cases.

Hell, I was reminiscing about Hellgate: London the other day, which led to watching the trailers again and some post mortem videos. Would be nice to fire it back up (and there's a team dedicated to bringing it back), warts and all, just to run around on my Engineer once more.

And I'm sure in the years to come I'll occasionally lament the occasional adventure as Hawkguy here as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

It's going to lead to some problems for gaming history when there are massive gaps in what we still have around and available to play, not because the hardware is all outdated and defunct, or because the discs/cartridges are damaged, but because the servers got shut down.

A lot of mobile games are like this as well already. People are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a day on Galaxy of Heroes or Star Trek Timelines or Dragonvale or whatever, and the day will come that it'll all vanish into the aether. The Battlefront 2 servers will become ghost towns and shut down, with the millions of copies and piles of crates lost to one or both aspects, as another example ripped from the headlines.

At least a lot of really old console and PC games can often be emulated, or worst case scenario some dedicated person or team will do their best to recreate what was lost in loving detail, but I imagine that's a much bigger project when a lot of that info doesn't even exist client side.

I can go into threads and wax nostalgic about the original Deus Ex or X-Com and even go reinstall both of them in a working fashion on a modern PC, but an entire era of gaming (driven towards online for multiplayer, and because fuck you, that's why and micro transactions) could disappear with only youtube videos to fall back on in many cases.

Hell, I was reminiscing about Hellgate: London the other day, which led to watching the trailers again and some post mortem videos. Would be nice to fire it back up (and there's a team dedicated to bringing it back), warts and all, just to run around on my Engineer once more.

And I'm sure in the years to come I'll occasionally lament the occasional adventure as Hawkguy here as well.

Didn't HG:L have an offline mode? I seem to recall playing it offline when the servers were down for maintenance.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is this thread more active now than when the game was actually alive?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

But even if you could boot up (cancelled MMO here) that's not the same thing as actually being there when it was active. Not every media experience is a permanent one that can be logged to a library and recalled at will.

I do think streams and Let's Plays will be helpful from an archiving perspective if streaming media doesn't suddenly crash and burn later on.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Let's all pour one out for Exteel then while we're at it.

It was only alive for a small amount of time but what a glorious time it was.

J6eJky9.jpgo60kXAd.jpg

I had a better colour scheme but it got lost on photobucket somewhere.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    For a second I thought I was on the City of Heroes/Villains thread.

I wish that MMO companies, when the game is cancelled or shutdown, would do one last thing: Open the game up for private servers. I can still put Neverwinter Nights into my PC and play on servers and play the game, with the player base adding new mechanics, monsters, armors, ect. Sure, it was set up like that in the beginning, but you can still find a few thousand people who are still playing that everyday and that game is 15 years old. The game might be done in an official sense but if Skyrim has shown people anything, the fans will keep it alive for years if you let them.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I miss my Space Lobster Man.

And the other Space Lobster Man.

And the Crab Man.

And the assorted other mans.

Fuck NCSoft.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    my 1500 hours! I had a ton of fun and spent a ton of money in the game. But I also havent played it in months so just a fond memory. At least I got my moneys worth out of it. Plenty of games where even the 60 bucks isnt worth it.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Last Months Of Gazillion Entertainment, Maker Of Marvel Heroes
    One former employee who wished to remain anonymous said he’s been having trouble sleeping now that he doesn’t have a paycheck. With no severance and without receiving over $5,000 he’d accrued in PTO, he doesn’t know whether he’ll be able to scrounge up January’s rent for his current apartment. He’s considering breaking his lease and moving. He described himself as “scared” and “anxiety-ridden.” Worst of all, he told me, he fears that this will happen to him again. The same month Gazillion shuttered, Telltale Games laid off 25% of its staff. The studio behind Torchlight shut down, too. Is this just what working in games is like?
    “We were told things were okay for a long time,” one employee said. “What we were told and what reality was were completely different.”

Another employee said that going on furlough felt “frustrating as hell” and “disingenuous. I felt like we weren’t being told the truth.” Another told Kotaku that he felt “helpless. It was all executives talking to executives.”

:(

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    For a second I thought I was on the City of Heroes/Villains thread.

I wish that MMO companies, when the game is cancelled or shutdown, would do one last thing: Open the game up for private servers. I can still put Neverwinter Nights into my PC and play on servers and play the game, with the player base adding new mechanics, monsters, armors, ect. Sure, it was set up like that in the beginning, but you can still find a few thousand people who are still playing that everyday and that game is 15 years old. The game might be done in an official sense but if Skyrim has shown people anything, the fans will keep it alive for years if you let them.

Pretty sure the licensing deal in this case means they would not be allowed to do this. MMOs without a license maybe could though.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Let's all pour one out for Exteel then while we're at it.

It was only alive for a small amount of time but what a glorious time it was.

J6eJky9.jpgo60kXAd.jpg

I had a better colour scheme but it got lost on photobucket somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKhqPwbxCg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    One former employee who wished to remain anonymous said he’s been having trouble sleeping now that he doesn’t have a paycheck. With no severance and without receiving over $5,000 he’d accrued in PTO, he doesn’t know whether he’ll be able to scrounge up January’s rent for his current apartment. He’s considering breaking his lease and moving. He described himself as “scared” and “anxiety-ridden.” Worst of all, he told me, he fears that this will happen to him again. The same month Gazillion shuttered, Telltale Games laid off 25% of its staff. The studio behind Torchlight shut down, too. Is this just what working in games is like?
    “We were told things were okay for a long time,” one employee said. “What we were told and what reality was were completely different.”

Another employee said that going on furlough felt “frustrating as hell” and “disingenuous. I felt like we weren’t being told the truth.” Another told Kotaku that he felt “helpless. It was all executives talking to executives.”

And this is why software workers need to unionize.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

And this is why software workers need to unionize.

Especially true in video game development, though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Doubt MH is going to get resurrected, but hey there's always a chance.
    Trion Worlds has acquired the assets of online game company Gazillion Entertainment, and it is also expanding its publishing platform for massively multiplayer online (MMO) games.

Redwood City, California-based Trion Worlds has purchased all the assets of Gazillion, which created MMOs such as Marvel Heroes until it lost its Disney license and shut down in November 2017. That includes all Gazillion licenses, trademarks, patents and domains, in addition to its library of games, said Trion Worlds CEO Scot Hartsman, in an interview with GamesBeat.

Trion Worlds will also beef up its ability to publish games created by other developers, using expertise in operations, networking, performance, security, player acquisition and analytics on a global scale. Trion Worlds will combine the Gazillion tools with its Trion Glyph platform to provide support and infrastructure for online game world developers.

Full article