As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    In terms of stability, I'd say the game is very very stable so it doesn't feel like an alpha product. As far as features go, I'm still chewing through it all and they're adding a new content update within the next day or so which introduces automation mechanics to allow you to remove some degree of micromanagement and allow for more complex setups.

I've read there's some complaints about lack of "stuff" to do once you get over all the initial hurdles and established a stable colony so there's probably going to be room to add more progression and possibly imposing limits on what makes early colony stability easy (eg: mealwood). I know that the update that added disease mechanics threw a massive wrench into the early water independence (as purified waste water now contains germs) and an agriculture update rebalanced a lot of the growables so I'd expect gameplay to shift a bit as time goes on during the development process.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    And sold.

Lack of an endgame isn't a worry at all - the process of replaying due to failures or new design ideas is the appeal of these kinds of games for me, the presence of an 'end' (like Rimworld) is honestly a bit of a turnoff.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't know about an endgame, but I'd like it if there were goals or objectives you could work towards, even if they were just achievement-type things without a gameplay change. Get X dupes by cycle X, or keep your population under 90% stress for X cycles, or something like that.

I just do better at these kinds of games when I've got a goal to work towards.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Funny you guys should jump into this today since there's supposed to be an automation/refinement update dropping in a few hours.

A few more things I've discovered:

If you can close off a Puft or two in a room, also make that room your compost depository. Compost makes polluted oxygen, which the Puft converts into slime, which you can turn into either tasty mushrooms or algae and water.
    When you get a skilled artist (6+), picture frames will be a wonderful addition to your base. They take a 2x2 space and can be placed about 3-4 tiles above the ground. Have a line of masterpieces above your machines and suddenly they're not depressing at all.
    Pipes and regular wires can be built inside crafted tiles, which prevents their decor penalties. So run them in tiles as often as you can.
    Some valuable plants will requite polluted water to grow, so keep an eye out for a way to pump then into hydroponic farms when you're ready to grow them.
    Finally, once you move on from Mealwood, you can still use them as compost. Since they don't use water that's free polluted oxygen and fertilizer.

Man in the Mists on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    I don't know about an endgame, but I'd like it if there were goals or objectives you could work towards, even if they were just achievement-type things without a gameplay change. Get X dupes by cycle X, or keep your population under 90% stress for X cycles, or something like that.

I just do better at these kinds of games when I've got a goal to work towards.

I'd imagine those are things that are in the pipeline, and I, too, would really like concrete goals. Though, I thought dupes come on a set time intervals? Or is there something else that increases the meter for when they come? Something like have x rooms, or some measure of efficiency for x days sorta thing would be cool.

My current game I've hit a bit of a rut, where expanding outside of the starting biome is proving problematic. Though I finally found a natural gas geyser which helps with power issues. I'm running out of water, and there's not a lot of close by options. I'm also terrible about heat issues, and the closest ice biome is through a clorine and a polluted oxygen biome. :( I tried building one of those hydro cooler things, and holy heck that thing is a power hungry orb of what must be essentially plasma. Any dupe that gets even close to that thing gets burned.

Pretty excited about the next update, which drops tomorrow, I think?

Edit: Also, I found a clorine geyser, and ... I really have no idea how to use it. The only thing I've run across that uses clorine is the ore scrubber, and I've not had too much of problem with disease (yet). Is there any other use for clorine?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Not yet, though I did see a good idea on the Klei forums to get an upgrade to the water purifier so that it also accepts a chlorine feed. With that, the water that gets pumped out will be germ-free.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Though, I thought dupes come on a set time intervals? Or is there something else that increases the meter for when they come?
    They do, but general wisdom is to hold off printing new ones after a while as you get the base built up to support that many. Having to print new dupes as soon as they become available in order to hit a deadline would be its own challenge, where the priority would be on making space and support in place in time to keep anyone from dying/stressing out and bring the base down with them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    If you're familiar with Don't Starve, that's the idea for ONI and its end game. They may add some kind of structured mode that you can complete, but that was never intended for Don't Starve and just added due to player demand.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, I got this during the Black Friday sale, and I'm having a blast.

One thing so far though... maybe it's because I'm starting fresh too soon (short tech tree doesn't help) but I've yet to get any sort of stress break death spiral that was always the hysterical end to things like Dwarf Fortress. In fact most of the time my dupe's stress doesn't even reach double digits. I feel like that more than anything is what's missing so far. :twisted:
    Edit: Also, I found a clorine geyser, and ... I really have no idea how to use it. The only thing I've run across that uses clorine is the ore scrubber, and I've not had too much of problem with disease (yet). Is there any other use for clorine?

Nothing official, but I've read of a couple of tricks involving it's germ-killing and thermodynamic properties to basically pasteurize germ-ridden water to be potable that much quicker.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, I got this during the Black Friday sale, and I'm having a blast.

One thing so far though... maybe it's because I'm starting fresh too soon (short tech tree doesn't help) but I've yet to get any sort of stress break death spiral that was always the hysterical end to things like Dwarf Fortress. In fact most of the time my dupe's stress doesn't even reach double digits. I feel like that more than anything is what's missing so far. :twisted:

Nothing official, but I've read of a couple of tricks involving it's germ-killing and thermodynamic properties to basically pasteurize germ-ridden water to be potable that much quicker.

Much like Dwarf Fortress, things tend to steamroll from "smooth sailing" to "clusterfuck" pretty damn fast. I guarantee if you keep playing things will fall apart, its just a question of how long.

My last colony was going great, I had water being recycled (but not de-germed) so my dupes had access to showers, food and oxygen production was fine and everyone was low on stress. Then I decided to put in a refinery and everything went to shit. I hadn't really had to deal with excess heat before, and as it turns out refineries get hot fast. I had the hot water that the refinery outputs flowing straight out into my water reservoir via a big drop through several layers of mesh tile, which wasn't a problem, except that when the ambient temperature of the air gets hot enough, boiling hot water starts condensing out of the air. So not only are the dupes trying to operate the refinery getting scalded, so is anybody touching the ground on the same floor, the entirety of which is now covered in boiling water and oh no its flowing down to the next floor too...

So now my dupes are all scalded, and spending their time mopping up the spilt boiling water so that nobody else gets scalded. Which means that nobody's running on the treadmill powering the massage tables, so everyone is stressed out from being burned and have no way to de-stress. So vomiting and destructive behavior ensue, meaning more dupes are now tied up mopping up vomit and repairing broken things, and ugly crying ensues dropping morale even further. Some people's burns are bad enough that they need medical attention, more mood penalties and more dupes pulled off of essential duties. The massage tables are prioritized but I've got 10 dupes and only enough power that 3 can get a massage at once, and they're walking through what is now a boiling hot vomit mixture covering most of my base, so their moods aren't staying high for very long. With all the mopping and maintenance, nobody has been making food so everyone has been eating raw meal-lice. Nobody has been running on the treadmill charging the batteries powering the fridge so the existing food stores have gone bad. I'm still not removing germs from my drinking water (boiling it by running it through the refinery was supposed to help with that) and germs are starting to build up, particularly in the unpowered fridges.

That was where I left it, maybe it could have been salvaged but it just felt like work keeping them alive at that point.

All because they got a little bit hot one time.

Mr Ray on
    IMHO, pasteurisation is in the territory of 'Yeah you can do it.... but why?'

Let's look at the situations where you'll have germy water being produced:

Lavatories, Sinks, Showers. Collectively, "Bathroom". The Bathroom can operate using germy water without any problems (oddly enough) so the use of a closed water loop feeding the polluted water output of the bathroom into a water sieve and that sieve pipes the filtered clear water back to the bathroom is perfectly valid. The stumbling block comes from the fact that the lavatories generate more polluted water than clear water required to flush (which makes sense if you think about it a little longer) hence a closed loop will be subject to overflow. That can be resolved by exploiting the behaviour of water bridges/valves to create a second priority path for the clear water, that then diverts the excess flow into either a storage pond for later use, or directly to an electrolyser to convert the germy water into oxygen; destroying the germs in the process.
    Alternatively, you place the overflow outlet at the polluted water end and divert the excess polluted water into a fertiliser synthesiser which just outright destroys the polluted water and generates fertiliser and natural gas.

A second source of germy water is in processing slime that has slimelung still on it. You can treat the polluted water stream like the bathroom sewage stream and filter -> electrolyzer or just straight to a fertiliser synthesiser. Or, you can just hold the water since slimelung dies off in liquids.

Polluted water in the swamp biomes don't have germs by default, so pumping then filtering that water won't result in a germ laden flow you have to manage.

I guess my biggest issue with pasteurising water is then dealing with the product; a very hot liquid that due to its high specific heat capacity, contains a lot of heat energy. In fact, the output of pasteurisation is similar/the same as dealing with the output of a steam geyser. If you're going to try to cool that water, it'll take a lot of effort to remove that energy without overheating your colony and if you just go ahead and destroy the heated pasteurised water like in an electrolyser, there wasn't any need to pasteurise in the first place.

There is a potential need to evaporate polluted water because it's a way to extract clear water without using a filtration system, but then you're left with a question of why is it necessary if you've got a steam geyser capped and can already deal with ~95C water.

I wasn't going to try to cool the water; despite getting scalded if they accidentally walk through a hot puddle with boots on, dupes can apparently shower with boiling hot water with no issues. I'd assumed that the germs in my fridge had gotten there from dupes using germy water to shower, but it sounds like you're saying that's not the case. So how would my crops have gotten all germy?

edited November 2017
    Crops could get germy if:
    They were irrigated or fertilised with germy substances (water/fertilizer)
    They were in contact with germy water while lying on the floor
    Handled by a dupe that has surface germs (didn't wash their hands after going to the loo/handling germy substances, came into contact with germy water)

Refrigerated foods will still decay and the min temperature isn't always enough to kill off the food poisoning bug. Keeping foods in a pit of carbon dioxide or chlorine will stop rot, and chlorine will actively disinfect them of any surface germs, even while in storage.

Going off your DF level of "FUN" there, I'd presume the puke water would have done it for the most part. If it came into contact with food on the ground, it'll get germy. If your dupes running around mopping or puking decided to handle food, it'll get germy. If a germy dupe decided to lie on a massage table, that table'll get germy. Next clean dupe that lies on it, germy. Making lice loaf with germy water, germy.

IMHO getting off manual generators is rather important. They cost so much in terms of dupe labour and in crisis situations, yeah... no power is death. If you're worried about coal, corral hatches, give them about 6 tiles to run around on and put a storage compressor in their little bit storing sandstone. Dump a few kilotonnes of sandstone for them to eat and they'll shit out coal for months.

Takel on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    is there a good tutorial guide somewhere for getting started? the lack of tutorial really had me just totally lost.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah, I realized that my mistake was trying to build a refinery while still running off of manual generators. The crops were being watered from a pool that was being refilled from recycled poop-water, so I guess that's where the germs came from. In future I guess I need a separate "grey water" tank for toilets and showers.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    is there a good tutorial guide somewhere for getting started? the lack of tutorial really had me just totally lost.

Here's a few things that are simple and useful, but not immediately intuitive:
    • Digging and building both go really fast if there's someone actively paying attention to the task. One of the first things that you should do is tear apart your surrounding environment and replace it with constructed tiles.
    • You can assign priorities to tasks, so if there's a job that you want done ASAP but is being ignored, you can set it as higher priority than anything else.
    • You can restrict what types of tasks someone can perform. Generally, you're going to want to start with someone with high research skill, and ban everyone else from doing research so they don't get pointlessly bogged down.
    • Wires and pipes can be built inside walls, and wires and pipes can occupy the same tile without conflicting.
    • Stress is a non-issue at the start, as long as you aren't doing anything actively traumatizing to them. Just make sure you have enough beds. If you don't have space for a bedroom in the first night you can just plop them down wherever.
    • Gasses (and fluids) don't mix with each other. There are consequences to this that you'll have to discover on your own.

Beyond that, most of the game can be learned through repeatedly discovering the many different ways in which you screwed up the design of your base. Pretty much everything is self-explanatory, it's more a matter of figuring out through experience what you really should have done 20 minutes ago.

Pretty much trial and error and error and more error.

For the most part you can probably ask a question such as "How to I manage heat?", give details of your situation and someone can probably give one of many solutions to the problem.

It also helps to understand that there's a fairly granular physical model to the game and most things behave as you'd expect it'll behave in the physical world.

If you're absolutely starting out, be aware that of the negative quirks, the least bad ones are:
    Pacifist
    Pea Bladder
    Narcoleptic
    Slow Learner

Diver Lung is one of the best positive quirks and stress responses should, for the most part, be ignorable

Mouth Breather is something to avoid at all costs at least until you've established unlimited oxygen generation via a tapped steam geyser + electrolysis

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Disagree. Narcoleptic is the most adorable flaw and every colony should have at least one.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I know that algea farms are atrocious, but is there a way to have them be self watered? Or is it that they must be constantly watered by a dupe?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I know that algea farms are atrocious, but is there a way to have them be self watered? Or is it that they must be constantly watered by a dupe?

Nope, must be watered. Part of the reason I only build a few to scrub CO2 in the lower parts of my colony until I can build the skimmer, and use deoxyifiers for most of my oxygen production.

steam_sig.png
    yea, that's a bummer. for some reason I was under the assumption that if you leave them in puddles of water, they'd self hydrate, but I guess its just a means of being that much closer for a dupe to suck up water and then hydrate them on the spot. bummer.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I wish there was a way to bottle water from pipes, rather than having to dump it out and manually pump it.

jothki wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to bottle water from pipes, rather than having to dump it out and manually pump it.

i spent about 30 minutes googling last night to see if this was possible because i set up my first liquid pump, so no i guess it isn't? that's weird.

as an aside, what is the proper way to deal with polluted water from something like the carbon skimmer? my rather large co2 pit is entirely filled up and i need to work on destroying it. seems like a waste to throw it in with my bathroom water cleaner thing since there are no germs, but is it worth running an entirely separate water filter just for that?

aeNqQM9.jpg

i spent about 30 minutes googling last night to see if this was possible because i set up my first liquid pump, so no i guess it isn't? that's weird.

as an aside, what is the proper way to deal with polluted water from something like the carbon skimmer? my rather large co2 pit is entirely filled up and i need to work on destroying it. seems like a waste to throw it in with my bathroom water cleaner thing since there are no germs, but is it worth running an entirely separate water filter just for that?

Totally worth having a separate water sieve for the skimmer. Just operate it in a closed loop where the same tiny amount of water is continuously cycled as a medium. Set and forget is the best.

Bedlam wrote: »
    Disagree. Narcoleptic is the most adorable flaw and every colony should have at least one.

My colony of 5 dupes has 2 narcoleps. My only fear is that they might fall asleep in the middle of a chlorine pit...

Pincha Peppers and Thimble Reeds require polluted water if you plan on growing them.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Any tips on breaching the swamp biome and containing slime lung? I was desperate for algae in my last run and had a poor starting seed so I had to open it up before I had showers available. I had a handwash station for everyone leaving the swamp zone but apparently that wasn't enough. I also dug too deep too fast because everyone's immune system seemed great (until it wasn't) and started digging towards
    a strange room with lockers and some creepy looking chair.

Once I got that far, the whole colony started spiraling as people were too ill to work, and then the remaining dupes couldn't maintain doctoring and keeping the colony running at the same time.

Another thing: what's everyone's usual research order and what are priorities after bare necessities (food, shelter, basic sanitation)? Getting automated power?
    Piping fresh water? Something else?

edited December 2017
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Any tips on breaching the swamp biome and containing slime lung? I was desperate for algae in my last run and had a poor starting seed so I had to open it up before I had showers available. I had a handwash station for everyone leaving the swamp zone but apparently that wasn't enough. I also dug too deep too fast because everyone's immune system seemed great (until it wasn't) and started digging towards
    a strange room with lockers and some creepy looking chair.

Once I got that far, the whole colony started spiraling as people were too ill to work, and then the remaining dupes couldn't maintain doctoring and keeping the colony running at the same time.

Another thing: what's everyone's usual research order and what are priorities after bare necessities (food, shelter, basic sanitation)? Getting automated power?
    Piping fresh water? Something else?

You want to be breaching the Chlorine biome at the same time your breaching the slime one. Chlorine gas is used in the Ore Scrubber, which cleans the items your dupes are carrying, which is probably how your base got infected (infected slime became infected algae and P.water, the later of which started giving off infected O2, the only thing other than slime Slimelung thrives in, while the algae was probably stored in a container that itself became infected and... well, you get the idea) On top of that, that's also where you find the Bleach stone used in Hand Sanitizers, the most effective germ-cleaning building. Showers, as far as I know, do NOT clean germs, they just remove things like grimy and soaking wet that make dupes feel stressed.

Ideally, your setup should be at least one Ore Scrubber, followed by a sink or two (Sinks are *usually* good enough to keep dupes themselves clean from Slimelung) and a door. Door should have permissions set so that only a couple of your dupes can enter and leave the biome. That way you won't run into the situation where one dupe walks out with contaminated slime because another dupe was using the Ore Scrubber (Scrubber works the same way as sanitation does, dupes only use it when they walk by it when they have something germy and it's not already in use)

If you're having algae issues before you even unlock the scrubber, and Electrolyizers are off the table, you can store your recently converted algae in a room that's been pumped with chlorine, which will kill all germs in said container in less than a cycle. (You want to do algae, because slime decays into polluted oxygen once it's been mined, unless it's stored underwater) Only thing is that without the proper automation setup (most of which will almost certainly be out of your reach if you're tech-gated behind Scrubbers) you'll have to micro-manage door permissions to make sure your dupes leave the algae there long enough to be safe to handle.

As for techs, after the basics I usually go for Dining, then Internal Combustion/Air Systems (get both before I start building anything from either) Then Sanitation. After that it's usually based on need.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2017
    well i had to panic rush and setup coal power and elecrolyzers because i realized i had <100kg of algae, which went fine since i had a plan for it, but now my base is rapidly becoming too hot to live in.

i can see the spiral coming. i found two wheezewort on a quick expedition to a nearby cold biome, but i'm not sure how best to use them to effectively cool my base. also, water is, if not running low, certainly running down slowly and i haven't got any plan to get more once i go through my reserves.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    yea, that's a bummer. for some reason I was under the assumption that if you leave them in puddles of water, they'd self hydrate, but I guess its just a means of being that much closer for a dupe to suck up water and then hydrate them on the spot. bummer.
    Did something change? Because Im pretty sure you could build it in water and it sucks water up. The dupe will still need to add algae to it tho.

Slime biomes suuuuuck. Slime lung is annoying as hell and it takes forever to dig through them since you have to rest your dupes for days if you don't want them to get sick.

Just trying to find a water geyser or oil!

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited December 2017
    eh? So long as your dupes' immune systems are above 1%, they're not going to get sick. Plus under normal settings, dupes are capable of countering -15% immune system rating per day so that's a lot of exposure to slimelung unless you do something like expose them to a huge pocket of germed polluted oxygen.

Takel on
    edited December 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    eh? So long as your dupes' immune systems are above 1%, they're not going to get sick. Plus under normal settings, dupes are capable of countering -15% immune system rating per day so that's a lot of exposure to slimelung unless you do something like expose them to a huge pocket of germed polluted oxygen.

I find that a lot of the polluted oxygen pockets are pressurized (sometimes over 4k or more) and if you don't have several deodorizers in place before cracking that germy oxygen can spread into your base pretty quickly.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Takel wrote: »

They can work in there for a few cycles but they get to 4-500k germs and then they're losing 50% a day so if I don't want them to get sick I have to have them do something else for a few cycles.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited December 2017
    I usually just have an airlock room of sorts that has a sink or two along with a deodorizer with a mechanical door on either side. I may have a dupe or two get slimelung once, but after the initial wave I usually don't have any problems with germs, and I've never even used an ore scrubber.

Though I think part of my problem is that I expand pretty slowly so by day 70ish, I keep running into heat problems where my meal lice stop growing because they're too hot. I almost got a water loop going through an ice biome to keep things cool, but I was too slow getting things started before things warmed up too much. All my dupes starved, but they had cold water at the end!

Also am I just blind or is there no color overlay for pressure? Seems like an odd oversight.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited December 2017
    No overlays for pressure.

I expand extremely slowly as well but I make it a priority to find the cold biomes and secure the wheezeworts. I've tried using the Hydrofans and declared them to be totally useless so my main option in heat management early on is to not use much power, thermally isolate the power systems from the rest of the living areas and to double insulate the overflow tank from the bathroom until I'm in position where I can consume the excess in an electrolyzer which itself requires a cooling solution because 70C outputs = ewwww

Interestingly enough, a ratio of 9 fertilizer synthesizers, 3 natural gas generator and 1 carbon skimmer will actually create a perpetual motion engine with a slight overflow of polluted water with the only input being water for the skimmer. Maxing out the fertilizer synthesizers by using an auto-top off from say, the bathroom will still result in the entire system being capped on CO2 production which is good because you don't want a gradual build up of output.
    You'll want to start with 6/2/18 generators/skimmers/synthesizers though because the overhead from the gas/liquid pumps would eat into the output of only three generators and you'll need to kick start the thing with either some natural gas or bathroom water.

Takel on
    Looks like the preview for the next update is out, and we're going to travel exactly how I expect to travel in a sci-fi colony sim.

that's going to make a mess of my current base design theories

I actually like it. You can set up satellite facilities pretty easy that way if the tubes are self contained.

Only have to make the one trip and build the tube out there. Dont have to worry about the journey after that.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Now I got to figure out how to get better at getting down to petroleum. (I assume that the tubes will be made from plastic.)