As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Game Awards 2018] Habemus doritos papem.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't really follow esports all that much, but any big name I've ever heard hasn't really been all that bad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I guess I just don't "get" the Youtube/Twitch/Streamer craze.

Like. I don't understand it at all. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, but I don't understand why or how it is a thing. And I don't understand why other people watch those streams.

Is this what people do instead of television now?

Here's the main thing I don't understand... Why would I ever spend my time watching someone else play a video game, when I could spend my time playing games myself.

It just seems like a really, really inefficient use of time. I'm not saying that to be judgemental or anything. I just feel like if I'm going to be doing something gaming related, I want to be doing it first-hand instead of second-hand. It's like living vicariously when you could just live it yourself instead.

/shrug. I dunno man. I think I'm just old.

(And I'm only 35)

I find I watch Twitch a hell of a lot more than TV. For me, it's mostly about:

1. An exposure to new games I'm interested in
    2. An exposure to games I don't have the ability to play, for whatever reason (not being made out of money, not having the right gear, etc.)
    3. Speed running tournaments of games I like
    4. Bob Ross reruns, because who couldn't use a few more happy little trees in their life?

I don't really care for 'personalities'. I find most of them obnoxious in the extreme, spending far more time engaging idiots in chat than actually playing games. The few streamers I actually follow are pretty chill, and if they're exhibiting a fake persona, it seems mostly like a professional version of who they are IRL.

Like other forms of social media, it's about having a clear reason (or two) for engaging in it from the outset, and then adhering to it.

But, I freely admit that I use social media in ways that it seems like most others don't. Like, my Facebook and Twitter profiles are private. I only friend/follow people I know or 3rd party entities that align with my interests (nothing political, just things like programming languages, SpaceX, etc.). I block 99% of bullshit. I choose how to engage, if I even feel like engaging at all. By preemptively heading off bullshit at the pass, I simply don't experience a lot of the things others seem to on these platforms. Twitch is no different.

I'm almost 38, BTW.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I went to Kieghly's panel at PAX West this year, and spoke with him a bit afterwards. It was a few months ago, but from what I remember. (I might be misremembering some of this, don't take it as gospel)

-He's fully aware how shit like the Hydrobot is perceived. He basically chalked it up to advertisers not really "getting" the core gamer audience, and despite being advised against stuff like that by Keighly and others, they still go through with it and the VGA's aren't really in a position to say no. He said that it ultimately comes down to someone needing to pay the bills, and he wants the Awards to feel like a spectacle, which costs money. He mentioned that he hoped, as time goes on, advertisers will get a better feel for what is and isn't a good way to market their products on the show.

-One of the reasons some of the awards feel like afterthoughts is that many games win multiple awards, so rather than having the same name crop up over and over again, they mention the smaller awards a title got after a big one. He admitted that this isn't an ideal way of handling it, especially since many consider even being nominated to be something to get excited over.

There was probably more, but that was a busy weekend for me, so I've forgotten the rest. He also said he has no current plans to bring back the Gameslice podcast, which sucks, because that only episode was killer.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    -One of the reasons some of the awards feel like afterthoughts is that many games win multiple awards, so rather than having the same name crop up over and over again, they mention the smaller awards a title got after a big one. He admitted that this isn't an ideal way of handling it, especially since many consider even being nominated to be something to get excited over.
    I'm sure there are logistical reasons or whatever behind this, but I mean come on, it's not like if a movie wins 6 Oscars, they announce them all at once.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The big difference between the VGAs and the Oscars is that the Oscars doesn't break movies into genres. There isn't a category for "Best Superhero Movie" and "Best Western" and "Best Romantic Comedy" and all that.

So when a movie wins Best Picture of the year, there isn't any overlap with it also winning a genre category as well.

In the Game Awards, the double dipping just feels bad. And it creates a lose-lose situation. Either you give it Best Game and Best Genre, or you hand off the Best Genre award to another game in an effort to "spread the love" and then it just feels weird to have a game that is the best game that came out all year not win in the genre that it exists in.

One could make a strong argument that they should just do away with the GotY award, and do it by genre only, that way there isn't so much double dipping.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If the Oscars don't have a category for "Best Western" then where did that hotel chain get its name from?

• Options
    If the Oscars don't have a category for "Best Western" then where did that hotel chain get its name from?
    The name "Best Western" was a result of most of their properties originally being in the United States west of the Mississippi River.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    -He's fully aware how shit like the Hydrobot is perceived. He basically chalked it up to advertisers not really "getting" the core gamer audience, and despite being advised against stuff like that by Keighly and others, they still go through with it and the VGA's aren't really in a position to say no. He said that it ultimately comes down to someone needing to pay the bills, and he wants the Awards to feel like a spectacle, which costs money. He mentioned that he hoped, as time goes on, advertisers will get a better feel for what is and isn't a good way to market their products on the show.

I, quite on the contrary, hope that advertisers will never learn because that shit was hilarious. I would never buy whatever product the Hydrobot was promoting (lady razors?), in fact I'd probably actively choose the competing product, but I will laugh all day long at the Hydrobot (not with).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The big difference between the VGAs and the Oscars is that the Oscars doesn't break movies into genres. There isn't a category for "Best Superhero Movie" and "Best Western" and "Best Romantic Comedy" and all that.

So when a movie wins Best Picture of the year, there isn't any overlap with it also winning a genre category as well.

In the Game Awards, the double dipping just feels bad. And it creates a lose-lose situation. Either you give it Best Game and Best Genre, or you hand off the Best Genre award to another game in an effort to "spread the love" and then it just feels weird to have a game that is the best game that came out all year not win in the genre that it exists in.

One could make a strong argument that they should just do away with the GotY award, and do it by genre only, that way there isn't so much double dipping.

One could make a stronger argument that they should do away with genre awards since so many of the games straddle multiple genres.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "And the nominees for best RPG game are... every frigging game ever made this year."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Keighley is posting that this year’s awards will have the most world premieres they’ve done before.

One of them I think is confirmed to be a first look at PUBG’s new desert map.

• Options
    Only two more days.

Still hoping to see something cool from Rocksteady.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I just saw the nominees for Trending Gamer

It's two people who advocate for gamers with disabilities, two Twitch streamers, and one person who I guess is mostly known for hosting the show that airs on TVs in your local Gamestop.

I'm sure they're all fine people, but two of them actually do noble stuff and should actually win.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    eSports is to streaming/youtube/letsplay channels as regular sports is to regular TV. Why watch them at all when you could be spending your time doing them? This line of thinking becomes even more relevant when you think about how easy it is to set up a Twitch account and stream game play, whereas playing real sports usually requires a devoted schedule to travelling, becoming athletic and actually leaving your apartment.

On the topic of people who become a character for their youtube channel, I just hope none of them are like the James Rolfe (Cinemassacre/Angry Video Game Nerd) type. Anger for the sake of amusement. I only know of halfcoordinated because he's legit in the fighting game community and has done some of the *Games Done Quick charities. He's got my vote.

To be fair, I don't really get watching sports either

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I'm just looking forward to seeing more announcements on future games.

Death Stranding is definitely going to show up. Also the rumors of DMC5 and Soul Caliber 6 have grabbed my attention.

• Options
    Missed the awards last year due to real life stuff and never got around to watching it, so with some chemical enhancement, I'm going in.... and holy shit is Keighly just losing it over Kojima.

• Options
    Oh shit. This Hydobot stuff is even more cringeworthy than I imagined.

• Options
    I think Keighly creams his jeans at the mere thought of Kojima.

Really, the best way to experience the game awards (and E3 too) is to check out the trailers the next day, and then wait for the Crowbcat edit to show up on Youtube.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Wow, I never even heard of this Dauntless game until like last week when I read a Game Awards thread elsewhere and someone mentioned it. Where'd this game vanish to?

Also, Nolan North totally did throw the VA industry under the bus. :razz:

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Wow, I never even heard of this Dauntless game until like last week when I read a Game Awards thread elsewhere and someone mentioned it. Where'd this game vanish to?

Also, Nolan North totally did throw the VA industry under the bus. :razz:

He is so prolific that I just assume all voices are Nolan North, even the female ones.

Also Dauntless is fun, though currently in closed beta/alpha whichever.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Last year’s reveals, as we get closer to the show tonight:

Bulletstorm: Full Clip
    Death Stranding (I expect we will see this at these awards until it either comes out or the sun explodes)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (Telltale)
    Dauntless
    Prey
    Legend of Zelda BOTW (gameplay)
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
    Halo Wars 2
    The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
    Mass Effect Andromeda (gameplay)

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Nitpicking: Death Stranding was revealed at E3, not the Game Awards.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Tomb Raider will not be revealed tonight, but a new one is coming next year.

• Options
    I thought Rise was supposed to be new Lara's defining adventure?

Cool to hear there's definitely a new one coming, those Tomb Raider games are aces.

• Options
    First one was good, second was worse.

They need to get rid of all the awful annoying side characters and just have Lara explore tombs again.

Heck, a Hitman model would be pretty awesome for that. A new ridiculously detailed tomb every few months with a variety of treasures or goals... aces.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Dr. Disrespect is one of the more popular guys on Twitch right now. I only know about him because my coworker is super into his content. He seems pretty funny, though. He calls himself "The Two-Time" because he claims to be the back to back 1993-1994 Blockbuster videogame champion (whatever that is...) and also the last con he went to he stayed at a hotel right across the street, and still managed to get his Lamborghini Diablo up to 100mph when he drove there.

Edit: He plays a lot of PUBG and H1Z1 I guess.

To be very clear here, "Dr. Disrespect" is a character. So if you watch his content and you think he's an 80's themed asshole, he is, but it's all a bit. The actual dude is Guy Beahm and he used to be the lead multiplayer designer for the Call of Duty series, and one of their main map makers before that.

I literally thought that was just part of his schtick. Did he really win the Blockbuster Video Game Championships twice as well?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    First one was good, second was worse.

They need to get rid of all the awful annoying side characters and just have Lara explore tombs again.

Heck, a Hitman model would be pretty awesome for that. A new ridiculously detailed tomb every few months with a variety of treasures or goals... aces.

Ooooh I would be way down for that.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think it's funny that they want to do the announce a game and reveal it'll be released very soon. But can't quite manage to keep it a secret long enough to do so.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Well as another example THQ Nordic mentioned having something to reveal soon a couple of days ago and guess fuckin' what press leaked the thing like barely a day later

Square Enix is basically just generating hype on their own terms without having publications take the wind out of their marketing sails

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Clearly I should win best trending gamer

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I hear there might be Death Stranding news on this and it seems you can win games by watching via steam so I'll be popping in every so often. Wasn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider or something already leaked a while back?

edit: Also expect more Sea of Thieves info. Looking forward to that one.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm sure there are logistical reasons or whatever behind this, but I mean come on, it's not like if a movie wins 6 Oscars, they announce them all at once.

Yeah, I think not having each category represented may be doing a disservice to themselves because gamers get pretty attached to the games they like and seeing something sweep categories can make the Game Awards even more of a spectacle just like they want. When Fury Road swept the Oscars people on the internet seemed to get pretty hyped. Hell, I never watch award shows and even I was sitting there on my phone while my ship was in port keeping track of categories and yelling on Twitter with everyone else due to how hard Fury Road was rocking the show just cause I'm a fan and was excited to see it doing well.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i haven't really been able to muster much enthusiasm for this years show, but none the less i've got some booze and am ready for whatever spectacle they have on offer.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I just can't wait to hear more incessant braying for the next few days about how Nier Automata was robbed of every category including the ones it didn't end up being nominated for

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I just can't wait to hear more incessant braying for the next few days about how Nier Automata was robbed of every category including the ones it didn't end up being nominated for

look, it not even being nominated the 'Best Up Skirt' category is nothing short of a travesty! A TRAVESTY I SAY!!!

• Options
    Nier Automata is kind of garbage, anyhow. The cheapo digital only Transformers game they put out is of higher quality.

• Options
    I mean okay it's got some good significant story shit going on surrounding it's cheese, but the underdog perception by what appears to be the tumblr-like fan base (like many others re: Undertale) is really quite something

And it's shitty to generalize people like that but everywhere surrounding TGA posts on Twitter and YouTube and whatnot (and also Twitter and YouTube in general) seem to have these individuals who insist that detractors (or non-supporters) of the game are viciously maligning it

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's good, but a lot of the problems that Cavia games have are still present, and a lot of the problems that Platinum games have are still present.

Hot take: If Platinum are such action game demigods, how come they still can't design a lock on system that isn't a fucking dumpster fire?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Welp, stream is going on YouTube

Good to hear the stupidly loud "woo!" guys at the front row crowds are still going strong

• Options
    Got the stream ready to go on YouTube. Will have to pause occasionally to tend to my daughter, but hoping to eventually get thread updated with reveals and such.