As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Took 9th overall. Exhausted. I hate waking up early. Also won a raffle, so got $75 (Entry was 60), a Kharn box, and 5 good games of 40k. Not a bad weekend.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I pulled almost everything out. My 3rd Company is almost finished. I also realized I built a whole tac squad I don't need.

LdoJWmq.jpg

I also have a built and partially painted land raider. And still in the box, I have a stormtalon, three drop pods, one rhino, and a Sternguard squad.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Moving makes me realize that I have to get rid of a bunch of stuff. First I have to find out out to recover an old paypal acccount, though.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I pulled almost everything out. My 3rd Company is almost finished. I also realized I built a whole tac squad I don't need.

-snip-

I also have a built and partially painted land raider. And still in the box, I have a stormtalon, three drop pods, one rhino, and a Sternguard squad.

Any chance of a close up?

Also, how did you paint them?

For years I have been in the process of starting an Imerial Fist army.
    At one point I saw a guy that had painted his IF with a very brigh yellow finish, but with deep black shadows. Gave a really nice feeling of bright and grimy/used at the same time.

The problem is I can only remember the feeling I got from seeing it and not really any of the ways it was accomplished.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I will need to wait to pull it all out again, but I have some old photos... wait a moment...

EDIT: Okay, here is my second squad done up in a couple pics, then I will find a FB post I made tonight and copy it for how I paint...

trQIBhW.jpg
    fMM3pMB.jpg
    HM8IfJf.jpg

And here is my color scheme...

1. Prime white
    2. Airbrush Averland Sunset
    3. Wash all over in Nuln Oil
    4. Bring up the Averland Sunset
    5. Go over Averland Sunset with Yriel Yellow
    6. Paint all the details in various colors (purple seems to work really well for purity seal wax and cloth as an offset color)

The Nuln Oil wash seems to throw a lot of people, but it works for me and gives me a good separation on the armor pieces.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Ran into something yesterday that I'm sure is in an FAQ or something somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Our Deathguard player had Pox Walkers and Cultists in a pretty confined space. He used the Strat to add any models that die around him to add to his Pox Walkers. The Cultists charge my Iron Clad and 10 drop. 10 Pox Walkers get added to his already big unit.

Anyway, is there any restrictions to placing these new models? If the Pox Walkers weren't already in combat do the models need to be 1 inch away from enemy models? They technically aren't moving. It's adding models to the existing unit.

I'm probably not describing this well enough. Thanks in advance.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Ran into something yesterday that I'm sure is in an FAQ or something somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Our Deathguard player had Pox Walkers and Cultists in a pretty confined space. He used the Strat to add any models that die around him to add to his Pox Walkers. The Cultists charge my Iron Clad and 10 drop. 10 Pox Walkers get added to his already big unit.

Anyway, is there any restrictions to placing these new models? If the Pox Walkers weren't already in combat do the models need to be 1 inch away from enemy models? They technically aren't moving. It's adding models to the existing unit.

I'm probably not describing this well enough. Thanks in advance.

They have to be placed in coherency of the unit. That is about it. Anywhere in coherency is fine. Also that is still one of the nastiest tactics that DG have.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So, picked up my first Chaos Rhino over the weekend. Since you all seemed like geniuses here, came to ask a question here. There's a lot of options in how to build it, but I'm not sure what I'm leaning towards or how even the guy in the cupola works or if he's an extra dude / Marine who can hop out or what. A launcher seems like a better idea so as to not have to think about it (and it seems like weapons like that are better anyways in the games I have played), but indecisiveness is murdering me.

Any recommendations on how to build one's first Rhino?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    They have to be placed in coherency of the unit. That is about it. Anywhere in coherency is fine. Also that is still one of the nastiest tactics that DG have.

For sure. It's worked to a lesser extent for him before, this game everything just fell into place to make it extremely nasty.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    So, picked up my first Chaos Rhino over the weekend. Since you all seemed like geniuses here, came to ask a question here. There's a lot of options in how to build it, but I'm not sure what I'm leaning towards or how even the guy in the cupola works or if he's an extra dude / Marine who can hop out or what. A launcher seems like a better idea so as to not have to think about it (and it seems like weapons like that are better anyways in the games I have played), but indecisiveness is murdering me.

If you feel like stretching your hobby skills a little you can pick up a hand vise drill and tiny disk shaped rare earth magnets for like $10 and learn to magnetize optional bits.

That may sound like something scary and horribly technical but trust me it's incredibly simple. It'll take time and patience; a measure twice, cut once sorta thing, but I promise you will be amazed at how easy it is to do and it's very useful.

Then you won't be kicking yourself next edition when the unit you love with the paint job you're rightfully proud of has last edition's best weapon that is currently terrible and oh God how can I cleanly cut it out and magnetize it...

Lanlaorn on

So Rhinos, preds, and razorbacks outside the base frame don't really need everything glued in.

Your rhino will always have on combibolter as its base weapon. Or at least 90% of the time. Just leave the other stuff open and you can put stuff in as you need it.

The missiles are havoc launchers, they are okay. 11 pts for d6 frag missiles that are str 5 instead of 4.

My cheap rhino is just a base one with a combi-bolter. Twin combi-bolters is a super cheap way to get a lot of anti-horde fire out of it.

Basically don't be afraid to not glue the portholes and just make the weapons have bottoms that fit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »

For sure. It's worked to a lesser extent for him before, this game everything just fell into place to make it extremely nasty.

In a recent game I ended up with a unit of 75 pox walkers by killing some Orks, using the new models to get into range of another unit, killing those Orks and so on.

In fact here’s a picture. Behind that rock the unit loops compeletly around the unit of boys there, the ruin in the top right is also full of walkers holding the objective.

Is is probably the best DG strategem.

GUHphop.jpg

Thanks for the advice, as always, guys.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    All of my rhinos have had base gear because I tend to use smoke launchers every turn anyways. They're usually high priority targets when they're delivering something scary like berzerkers

All of my rhinos have had base gear because I tend to use smoke launchers every turn anyways. They're usually high priority targets when they're delivering something scary like berzerkers

You can only use smoke launchers once per game. You can use them if you advanced though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well I'm a cheater

Actually they're usually not around to do it twice so maybe it hasn't been so bad

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Dark Angels preview up. Chapter tactic let's you reroll 1s for shooting including overwatch and you can't lose more than 1 model via morale.

There's also a 1cp stratagem you use before the start of the game to give thing a like Drednoughts and Land Raiders the Deathwing keyword.

Re-roll 1's seems so good from the limited time I've used it.

Question on Overwatch, though. Normal Overwatch you hit on 6's....but what if you're using a flamethrower that auto-hits?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Re-roll 1's seems so good from the limited time I've used it.

Question on Overwatch, though. Normal Overwatch you hit on 6's....but what if you're using a flamethrower that auto-hits?

Overwatch with flamers automatically hits.

Learned that one the hard way.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    That's why terminators with combiflamers and Agressors are terrific. You need to shift them via shooting rather than charging them.

The sheer amount of flamer hits Aggressors can put out is amazing.

Comics, Games, Booze
    In general though, shooting is so much stronger than close combat this edition that saying "you must shoot them to shift them" doesn't mean much =/

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    That’s why I love Warp Talons. If you can get off Warptime they’ll hit nearly everything they want with no repercussions.

What else in the game ignores overwatch anyway? I’m sure there’s some eldar thing that does it at least.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    That’s why I love Warp Talons. If you can get off Warptime they’ll hit nearly everything they want with no repercussions.

What else in the game ignores overwatch anyway? I’m sure there’s some eldar thing that does it at least.

Banshee masks.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Badablack wrote: »

Banshee masks.

Primaris Reavers.

• DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    In general though, shooting is so much stronger than close combat every edition that saying "you must shoot them to shift them" doesn't mean much =/

FTFY

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    Every edition I've played (6th onward) that has certainly been true, but old school players keep telling me about other editions where assault was obscenely OP.

Apparently at one point you could win a combat and charge from it straight into another, so if enemy units were close together in a gunline one good assault unit could literally annihilate their entire army?

I think the rules as written are fine to allow for balance between the two now, it's just a matter of math. Close combat units and their weapons tend to cost too much, chaff units to fuck with their only plan of attack cost too little, tough units aren't actually tough and masses of cheap units are both very robust and dangerous, etc. etc.

I'm fairly optimistic right now though, they've been engaged with balance and making changes more in the past three months than in the past decade. Maybe they'll get things right eventually.

Back in 5th which I remember more than 4th now you didn't have to really win combat by a lot to win it. It was a leadership test based on the number of models lost. If they failed the entire unit was wiped out and you could sweep into another unit. Also you could never leave close combat. It was a brawl to the death.

6th instituted the whole dueling thing. I remember that being annoying as you no longer could have hidden powerfist and stuff. But I didn't play a ton of 6th.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Yeah Melee was “good” because your deathstar super unit could fight after consolidating if they hit another unit.

Shooting was still better.

In 5th you couldn't consolidate into combat, but 4th you could. It was the big reason why assault wasn't the end-all in 5th, you often overkilled then sat out in the open to get obliterated.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'm tired, and I made a list
    ++ Vanguard Detachment (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [25 PL, 476pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 219pts]
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Heavy flamer
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

+ Elites +

Relic Deredeo Dreadnought [14 PL, 257pts]: Aiolos missile launcher, Arachnus heavy lascannon battery, Twin heavy bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [24 PL, 495pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

++ Spearhead Detachment (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [45 PL, 1007pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 219pts]
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Heavy flamer
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 216pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
    . Two twin autocannons: 2x Twin autocannon

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 216pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
    . Two twin autocannons: 2x Twin autocannon

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 356pts]: 2x Heavy flamer
    . Cyclonic melta lance
    . Leviathan melee weapon: Leviathan siege claw, Meltagun

++ Total: [94 PL, 1978pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Nine stompy robots, two of which are characters with less than 10 wounds. Give one the Armour Indomitus, because why not.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm jealous of imperial dreadnought HQs.
    You should find some points for chainfists on the contemptors, because -4 ap and 4 damage is dead killy, in my experience with them.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I actually played an 11 Dreadnought list a few weeks ago in a 2 on 2 with a mechguard teammate against a chaos/orks team on the other side. Having a warlord with 3 separate 6+ fnp rolls per wound taken was hilarious.

The only downside was that I have no idea how well the list actually performed because the guard player pretty much annihilated everything with the sheer volume of tank and artillery fire before I could really do much. The idea was to see how the Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought plays before dropping Forge World money on the model, but I might do it regardless at some point just because it looks so awesome.

While playing around with points I just realized I can equip a standard dreadnought with twin heavy flamers on one arm and the close combat weapon/heavy flamer on the other.

It's silly, but I think I want it.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Relic Contemptor with 2x melee weapons and 2x plasma blastguns ironically do about the same damage with shooting as most of the gun options, while rerollings 1s (Not just in melee).

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Back in 6th I remember running a helbrute army using those Christmas dataslate formations. It either crushed everything with an untouchable wall of AV12 or got blown to bits by insta-killing melta.

I think I like the current rules for vehicles better.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited December 2017
    I'm gonna make this old Sternguard vet my first, non-Primaris lieutenant. So far, I've pinned him to a 32 mm base and glued my last Imperial Fist upgrade kit backpack to him. Once everything is dry, I'll need to prime him, but it's raining and the temp is dropping.

P4VWOnN.jpg

After him, the only things I'll need to add to my company are Primaris models.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Got ahold of a bunch of Orks the other day (I gave them to a friend last year because he was thinking of building some, he gave them back the other day because his projects list is overwhelming). So now I have one set of Orks from the Battle for Vedros starter set as well as a squad of Boyz, a Trukk, and a slightly beat up Chimera that could become a looted wagon/Trukk proxy with some work. All are unpainted except for one that I painted that day to see what it was like painting Orks instead of Space Marines. I'm not really sure what scheme I want to go with but it was a trip painting organic shapes and lots of cloth/straps as opposed to the flat panels that cover 99% of my marines.

So now between my roommate and I we have two separate Space Marine chapter armies, a decent sized Tau army, and a tiny band of Orks which will make it possible to get impromptu games in at the house fairly easy.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So 8th edition is kind of enticing me to get back in to 40k after like...10 years. I picked up the 8th gen book yesterday, but I'm kind of debating whether I want to return it and get the starter box instead. The first army I plan to build is Grey Knights, but unless I'm wrong there is nothing in the starter box I can use with Grey Knights is there? If there isn't, I'll just keep the core rules and order the Grey Knights codex and start planning some model buys.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Grey Knights don't have access to Primaris Marines yet, so the Dark Imperium set wouldn't have anything for you to use. It's a nice set if you want Primaris Marines for a different chapter, but the GK got kinda borked as a starter - their infantry is fairly expensive and they don't even have a Start Collecting box.

If you want marines or Nurgle the 8th edition starter is a pretty good value. You get two starter armies and a $60 rulebook for $160 total (less if you buy from an LGS that does discounts on GW stuff). There are two mini codexes inside (one for each army), but you'll need to get updated point costs for the units inside from the Space Marine or Nurgle codexes as well as Chapter Approved. If you want to go Grey Knights exclusively than you're better off keeping the rulebook and grabbing their codex and picking up some models.

This discussion has been closed.