As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Game Awards 2018] Habemus doritos papem.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    How the hell does a sandbox win best direction? I don't understand.

I'm not sure what a best direction award entails for a video game to begin with.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The sequel will be a stealth game called STFU.

Oh man I know this was a good joke, but now my mind is swimming with ideas.

Like a 4-player co-op game in which players need to work together to escape a space station that is going to exploded (say 30 min). They need to search the station for junk to put together to get past obstacles. Catch is there is an alien lose on the station that is blind, but can hear. Players have proximity chat and need to communicate to get the right pieces together.

"I need an L shaped pipe!"
    "SHHH! It's coming!"
    "achoo!"
    -grizzly death noises-

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Direction as in "project director", not as in "guided experience".

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Probably the design of the world itself given that it's sculpted to have you constantly discovering things.

Definitely not the same kind of criteria are television or cinema direction, but makes sense for games.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Axen wrote: »

Like a 4-player co-op game in which players need to work together to escape a space station that is going to exploded (say 30 min). They need to search the station for junk to put together to get past obstacles. Catch is there is an alien lose on the station that is blind, but can hear. Players have proximity chat and need to communicate to get the right pieces together.

"SHHH! It's coming!"
    "achoo!"
    -grizzly death noises-

seems like an expansion on the Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes concept. less VR, more time and a larger environment. could be fun.

EDIT: but anyway, even just the basic idea for GTFO has me interested without extrapolating outwards from there.

Wraith260 on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

"SHHH! It's coming!"
    "achoo!"
    -grizzly death noises-

I can't help but imagine an executive ask the question "What about 3rd party chat programs?"

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

"SHHH! It's coming!"
    "achoo!"
    -grizzly death noises-

I can't help but imagine an executive ask the question "What about 3rd party chat programs?"

honestly, i'd more expect one of the devs to raise that concern over a publisher exec.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Well this has been an underwhelming show.

Not really excited about any of these game announcements.

Enlong wrote: »

I'm not sure what a best direction award entails for a video game to begin with.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ...this orchestra is making me realize that a lot of BOTW's music was a bit too ambient for me to remember.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

"SHHH! It's coming!"
    "achoo!"
    -grizzly death noises-

honestly, i'd more expect one of the devs to raise that concern over a publisher exec.

If people want to suck the fun out of it they can.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    ok, biggest disappointment of the night. the singer for Pauline is a blonde. :( illusion ruined.

It's a joy to see the musicians having fun playing the arrangements.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    ok, biggest disappointment of the night. the singer for Pauline is a blonde. :( illusion ruined.

She's just going back to her roots.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --

She's just going back to her roots.

the fact that this joke works on multiple levels makes it all the better. bravo! :lol:

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    oh my goooooooooooood Way Out's wiki page
    wyog9t4e1c49.png

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I hate the word "influencer".

Sounds like some sterile marketing word incubated in a board room.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Deservedly so.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The correct choice.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Also yes...my GOTY won. Yes this is dumb and it's videogames but let me have this

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I mean, it totally is. Just like "gamer" was 20 years ago.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The over-hyped "B Game" choice.

Which is kind of what it is. It's been a term for a long time now. For fashion, it used to be the people bold enough to try new styles and spread them. Games just picked up the term as social media and streaming picked up.

Steam Profile

probably because that's exactly what it is. its right up there with 'thought leader' and 'taste maker'.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

probably because that's exactly what it is. its right up there with 'thought leader' and 'taste maker'.

At least "taste maker" has an ounce of euphony.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    wyog9t4e1c49.png

That whole page is gold.

The plot synopsis is just the synopsis for The Room.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yup GOTY was what I thought it was and deservedly so I think.

Also yes...my GOTY won. Yes this is dumb and it's videogames but let me have this

It was back and forth between BotW and Mario Odyssey for me. Mario delivered more pure unadulterated fun and wonder but played it somewhat safe. I also could have seen PUBG winning given how big of a splash its made by already impacting game mechanics in other games. Zelda wasn't as polished as Mario, but it also pushes its genre forward like PUBG is doing which is certainly deserving of critical praise and recognition.

Steam Profile
    wyog9t4e1c49.png

That whole page is gold.

The plot synopsis is just the synopsis for The Room.

Oh no, I don't want to close this tab ever.
    v67xb40h2awq.png

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How does a game with so many annoying flaws take home GotY?

--Weapons breaking all the damn time
    --Sudden flash rains ruining your climb...all the time...out of nowhere
    --Blood Moon world resets
    --Awful cooking interface

Like... pretty much every other game on the list of nominees was better than Zelda. It is the least good game nominated and it really doesn't even deserve that nomination. Such a not-good game.

so over all not the best show, but not the worst either. Keighley seems to have made some ad/partnership concessions to avoid another Shick Hydro Man scenario. not a bad move, but it does come with its own draw backs. the reveals where a bit mixed, and i'm not confident we'll be seeing many of them any time soon. only a few had even a rough date attached so its hard to get super hyped for anything.

some nice wins in the awards we actually got to see presented. Cuphead and Hellblade were both very deserving in the categories they won. great to see smaller devs being recognized, especially when they're doing something different.

Lucascraft wrote: »

Like... pretty much every other game on the list of nominees was better than Zelda. It is the least good game nominated and it really doesn't even deserve that nomination. Such a not-good game.

i'd guess its that not everyone sees those as flaws, even if they're mixed on how much it adds or takes away from the overall experience. i haven't played BOTW but i have seen more than a few complaints over the weapon durability and climbing in the rain. guess for most people those factors just weren't enough to spoil the game.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Persona got robbed in soundtrack and art awards. Such a shame.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

There is much disagreement to be had with that but let's just leave it there. Opinions.

(She/Her)
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The thing about BotW is that the game is a HUGE fucking deal when you line it up with its own series. It's colossal. It's in a league of its own. As soon as you stand it next to other video games, especially similar sorts, it's a good game. But it loses all the prestige. It's about as fair a take as I've seen and I can agree with it even though I adore the shit out of it.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Soundtrack, yes. Art, if it were ANY OTHER YEAR I might agree.

But you can't NOT give it to Cuphead. You CAN'T.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I didn't really have a leg in this race so I was fine with most of those choices

Overall I really enjoyed the awards! Keighley is obviously improving the ceremony year by year. Cutting down on irrelevant celebrities (I think having Andy Serkis present Best Performance was pretty inspired) and making the advertising less shameful was a good step. Some of the cringe is still there and the program choices were off here and there (especially pre-show) but mostly I think they addressed a fair amount of the major problems of last years awards which is really nice

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Wow, did Horizon really not win a single award? I'm pretty surprised at that.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Soundtrack, yes. Art, if it were ANY OTHER YEAR I might agree.

But you can't NOT give it to Cuphead. You CAN'T.

I would have done just that, actually

As much as I love P5's art and style, Cuphead did something we haven't really seen done well before. Trying something new (well, really old school in this case) or challenging counts in professional criticism (eg, figure skating routines are scored both by execution and how tough the routine is to do).

Music was P5's stronger suit and I prefer P5's soundtrack but Nier had a really good integration of its music and level design. Instead of the usual approach of music being added in the last third of game development, Yoko Taro had his composers come up with stuff really early on and a lot of the scenarios feel like they were designed in tandem with the soundtrack. P5 was consistently good at getting me pumped up for a heist but Nier's brought out a wider range of emotions. The machine village's music always seemed to hit the part where it sounds like children are singing when I turned in a quest. The music that played during the fight to escape the cultists was downright unsettling and conveyed how single minded they were.

I could listen to P5's soundtrack over and over but Nier's music felt like as much a part of the map as the enemy placement and terrain so I can accept it winning.

Steam Profile