As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Mac Thread: Still loving Leopard despite it's spots

13»

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    hey guys question

http://travelfox.deviantart.com/art/Colourist-iPhone-Edition-59071063?offset=25#comments

the dock that the guy is using, what is it?

Faricazy on
  • WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So as a quick update, I sent my computer to the Support Center yesterday, and they called me in the morning saying they recieved it and are going to check. So far so good.

I had previously heard that they didn't accept deliveries, and that I would have to go personally. When I called, however, it was no problem for me to express it. That, and I forgot that expressing something inside China is cheap. Overnighting the laptop to Shanghai cost me less than $3.

Also told the tech guy to check why I couldn't partition my drive with boot camp at all, but that's minor, I need the screen more than I need boot camp.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    nevermind, found it

http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/informer

man, if it actually tied in with the dock and opened new programs in it, it would be perfect

:\

Faricazy on
  • Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Presumably you could run off AC with now battery to confirm if this fixes your wacky mouse button issues....er...can you do that? Never tried....

Good point, I know the older models could do that, so it's reasonable to assume the MacBooks could as well...

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Presumably you could run off AC with now battery to confirm if this fixes your wacky mouse button issues....er...can you do that? Never tried....

Good point, I know the older models could do that, so it's reasonable to assume the MacBooks could as well...

The MBP can do it. I've run without the battery before.

Epyon9283 on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone know what the heck could be up with my wireless internet. I have to click and turn airport off and then on at least once every half hour or so, or else my internet just stops working. It's not my internet itself, though, as my PS3 stays online, and my girlfriend's PC stays online. It just seems like the wireless card in my MBP just can't hold a connection. Anyone know how to fix this?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    What kind of base station are you running?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's a TRENDnet wireless router.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone know what the heck could be up with my wireless internet. I have to click and turn airport off and then on at least once every half hour or so, or else my internet just stops working. It's not my internet itself, though, as my PS3 stays online, and my girlfriend's PC stays online. It just seems like the wireless card in my MBP just can't hold a connection. Anyone know how to fix this?

This is a fairly well know MBP issue. If you google MacBook wireless issue you'll probably find a ton of hits...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This is a fairly well know MBP issue. If you google MacBook wireless issue you'll probably find a ton of hits...

I certainly had that issue, right from when I got my Macbook, up until OS X 10.5.1.

Since that patch, I've been fine. However, YMMV.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
    edited December 2007
    So, another update. I feel like ranting, but I don't know exactly who to.
    Anyway, the support got my computer on Friday, last week.

They waited over the weekend, which is fine. I checked on Monday and they said it was okay, and that they are going to send it back. I was satisfied, and thought I recieved quick service, all in all.

Tuesday came and went, with nothing happening, but I had an email in my inbox from the service company on Wednesday morning. In Chinese. I had it checked by my girlfriend and they said that the problem was in the software, and that I would have to reinstall the OS. They said they are not responsible for software problems, and that the cause might be something I installed.

I called them. Well, they didn't speak English quite well enough to tell me anything I didn't get from the email, but they insisted that I would have to sign on the software problem to get my computer back. No way.

After a few more calls, some by in Chinese, come in my rather irate English, they are now sending the computer to some other company / center to have it checked, and that I might hear back in 24 hours. And no, there's no estimate on how long the computer now takes to fix. I told them very pointedly, that I don't care at this point, I just want them to send it back working.

So first the phone service passed the puck to the service center as a hardware fault. I agreed with this, because I could not get a picture on the screen even when booting from the OSX Installation Disk. The phone support tried several ways of booting the computer, all to no avail.

I hate it how they tried to pass the fault to software or me, for installing bad software. Even if that was the case, I could have re-installed from the disk from a boot. It seems now I have to wait and hope.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey Apotheos, you can take it in to any Apple authorized dealer/repair centre. WestWorld, CompuSmart, etc. Just make sure you check them out first, see how they treat things.

Story:

My friend took his MBP to have the screen replaced to a place called My Mac Dealer. Avoid them, they suck. At least the one here in Calgary. The new display developed a huge defect(big 3" dark band on left side) within a week of the replacement, and they bent both sides of the bottom case. I suppose the display probably isn't their fault and was probably a refurbished part, unless of course they fudged the repair. But the bent case made me cringe, it's like they pried it apart instead of unscrewing it. Fucking cavemen.

My display's backlight is dying but I don't want to take it in. I've grown attached to my baby and I don't like other's hands on it. It takes all my strength not to hit people when they touch the screen and make the LCD cells ripple. If I do take it in I'll likely take it apart and check that they put everything back nicely. I'm pretty obsessive-compulsive about my tech toys.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The sound has disappeared from my iBook.

Using the dedicated keyboard buttons (F3, F4, F5) brings up the overlay that shows the sound level, but there is an icon on the overlay indicating that there is no sound (a circle with a line through it).

The sound icon in my tool bar has gone away:

soundvn0.png

I cannot de-select mute from sound options, nor change output volume:

screenshotld2.png

Any suggestions?

skippydumptruck on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Check the output tab and see if it's set to optical out.

ben0207 on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Restarting 4 consecutive times fixed it. How the fuck does the OS just lose integrated speakers?

skippydumptruck on
    edited December 2007
    Restarting 4 consecutive times fixed it. How the fuck does the OS just lose integrated speakers?

One time, my Macbook switched to optical out for a week, and I couldn't turn it off.

I could even see a red light glowing in the headphone jack.

It hasn't happened since.

Marlor on
    edited December 2007
    So, I got my computer back from the Support Center.
    It seems to work, but the support claimed that there was no hardware problem at all. It appears they found no problem whatsoever.

Strange, and I really hope the same thing doesn't repeat itself.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anybody used a 3rd party battery? My MBP battery is dying after over 300 cycles -- and as much fun as the "I'm at 60%... Oh wait, did I say 60? I meant 1%... Shutdown sucker!" game is - I'm going for a replacement.

Where I work sells BTI MBP batteries, which are cheaper than the apple ones. My google-fu returns only sites wanting my money.

Has anyone bought one of these? Thoughts?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    I generally don't buy third-party laptop batteries.

I had one for my Thinkpad once. It was a bit quirky in reporting the charge level, and died in less than a year.

If the third-party battery is half the price of a genuine one, then it might be worth a shot. If the difference isn't that much, then I'd go with a genuine battery.

Marlor on
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Anybody used a 3rd party battery? My MBP battery is dying after over 300 cycles -- and as much fun as the "I'm at 60%... Oh wait, did I say 60? I meant 1%... Shutdown sucker!" game is - I'm going for a replacement.

Where I work sells BTI MBP batteries, which are cheaper than the apple ones. My google-fu returns only sites wanting my money.

I have the same problem with my Macbook. Watching a movie I ripped from a DVD while using the battery? Bam, shutdown when the battery gets to the red. Says I have 20min left too. Liar.

Question: I'm going to be upgrading to Leopard soon, can I install it over Tiger but keep all my music and documents and shit?

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • Red AlbatrossRed Albatross Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

My battery did this, then a few days later my mouse button started refusing to click properly and when I took my battery out it was obviously distorted. Searching the internet showed it was a known issue, and that there is an extended warranty on certain batteries (mine was replaced immediately upon taking it to an Apple store). It's at least worth looking if yours falls into this before buying a new one.

Red Albatross on
    edited December 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »

I have the same problem with my Macbook. Watching a movie I ripped from a DVD while using the battery? Bam, shutdown when the battery gets to the red. Says I have 20min left too. Liar.

Question: I'm going to be upgrading to Leopard soon, can I install it over Tiger but keep all my music and documents and shit?

Its quite an early MBP - so no warranty... Mind you, staff purchase price is half that of an Apple one... I'll give it a shot. The apple ones have issues anyway.

As for Leopard. The bods round here all suggested backing up for a "clean install" - I just did the upgrade and it all worked perfectly... Any music, documents, and shit - were fine.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Red AlbatrossRed Albatross Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »

Its quite an early MBP - so no warranty... Mind you, staff purchase price is half that of an Apple one... I'll give it a shot. The apple ones have issues anyway.

As for Leopard. The bods round here all suggested backing up for a "clean install" - I just did the upgrade and it all worked perfectly... Any music, documents, and shit - were fine.

Yes, mine was an early MBP too - it's an extension of the warranty for certain batteries, due to known issues.

Red Albatross on
    edited December 2007

*snip*

Yes, mine was an early MBP too - it's an extension of the warranty for certain batteries, due to known issues.

Linky? Are there serials for this?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

Was checking it out earlier. Doesn't seem to support it unless the battery itself is warped or under 300 cycles though. Cock.

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So my Macbook is showing some odd behavior, particularly in the mouse. The mouse button no longer clicks very nicely - it feels like there are now 2 distinct positions of the mouse, with the first one making a terrible cracking and requiring you to depress the mouse the regular amount (but it doesn't activate the mouse click), and the second position being further depressed than usual and cannot always be reached. Is this a known issue with Macbooks, and will I need to make a warranty claim to get this fixed? It's really quite annoying, and getting it repaired over the Christmas break, before classes begin again, would be ideal, so if I'm going to need a warranty claim I'll probably make it very soon. How would I go about doing that, anyways?

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    So my Macbook is showing some odd behavior, particularly in the mouse. The mouse button no longer clicks very nicely - it feels like there are now 2 distinct positions of the mouse, with the first one making a terrible cracking and requiring you to depress the mouse the regular amount (but it doesn't activate the mouse click), and the second position being further depressed than usual and cannot always be reached. Is this a known issue with Macbooks, and will I need to make a warranty claim to get this fixed? It's really quite annoying, and getting it repaired over the Christmas break, before classes begin again, would be ideal, so if I'm going to need a warranty claim I'll probably make it very soon. How would I go about doing that, anyways?

I hear that the battery causes this... if you remove it - does it click nicely?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So picked up 2GB of ram from Crucial via this thread. ($60 including shipping). Parallels is running so slick and smooth now.

Installed this Leopard theme for XP on it, switched over to Coherence mode.
    parallels.jpg

That, for me, is pretty damn cool.

edit: switched to this theme, better taskbar.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When's the next keynote? Would I be way off base to wait until the next one before I upgrade, or will I be waiting too long.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Macworld is just under a month away. Usually some hardware updates around then.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So picked up 2GB of ram from Crucial via this thread. ($60 including shipping). Parallels is running so slick and smooth now.

Installed this Leopard theme for XP on it, switched over to Coherence mode.
    parallels.jpg

That, for me, is pretty damn cool.

edit: switched to this theme, better taskbar.

it is my opinion that that is a little too cool and that you should feel bad for making me feel so behind the times

Bob The Monkey on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Check the output tab and see if it's set to optical out.

I've seen it where the little switch that toggles the optical out automatically - usually tripped when you plug in an optical out cable - can get flipped. You can verify this if you look in the port, you'll see the optical audio signal blinking away. This can be fixed with a toothpick in a manner I am unfamiliar with. Google may help.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる