As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Game Awards 2018] Habemus doritos papem.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I didn't really have a leg in this race so I was fine with most of those choices

Overall I really enjoyed the awards! Keighley is obviously improving the ceremony year by year. Cutting down on irrelevant celebrities (I think having Andy Serkis present Best Performance was pretty inspired) and making the advertising less shameful was a good step. Some of the cringe is still there and the program choices were off here and there (especially pre-show) but mostly I think they addressed a fair amount of the major problems of last years awards which is really nice

on the matter of celebrities, Keifer Sutherland's appearance at the inaugural awards and his 'off script'* speech is still one of my favourite moments. i don't mind famous people being a part of the show as long as they ad to it, though that's admittedly a hard line to walk.

*i prefer to believe that was a genuinely off script moment, but can accept that it may have been rehearsed.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is there a list to show what was nominated / won every category? I missed the bulk of this. Including the baby giving a thumbs up thing. What the fuck was that shit anyway?

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Wow, did Horizon really not win a single award? I'm pretty surprised at that.

I'm not. It's been a major sleeper all year.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is there a list to show what was nominated / won every category? I missed the bulk of this. Including the baby giving a thumbs up thing. What the fuck was that shit anyway?

Death Stranding trailer, the game from Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Solid fame (I LIVE ON THROUGH THIS ARM, NANOMACHINES SON, etc.) and Guillmero Del Toro of Pan's Labyrinth and other weird shit fame.

not a single one, though it does seem like it was nominated in fewer categories than you'd expect. still, bit of a shock that it didn't get anything at all.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Henroid but did you see the Way Out moment?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg

http://thegameawards.com/awards/

that's the official sites list. still a few categories that haven't been given yet, but expect those will fill in soon enough. there should be a wikipedia page for this years awards that will update with everything sharpish too.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

that's the official sites list. still a few categories that haven't been given yet, but expect those will fill in soon enough. there should be a wikipedia page for this years awards that will update with everything sharpish too.
    Bleh, I would've given Nier the Best Direction award. Best Direction seems like another way of saying "GOTY" by this standard. Nier getting best music is a great choice.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

If we had console specific awards or 2nd and 3rd places, that likely would have been different but this was a year of a lot of games pushing against the boundaries of their genres. HZD is a really polished take on Tomb Raider/Uncharted, but didn't do a ton people thought was new beyond an original take on presenting how the apocalypse went down. Even Mario Odyssey didn't win any of the awards likely because it's a refinement of the Mario 64 formula and that game has been universally loved by people who've played it (seriously, compare its thread and then count complaints about game mechanics with complaint posts in either the HZD or BotW threads). Similarly, Persona 5 is great but most of it is a refinement on what P3 and 4 did albeit a really good refinement. RPGs are just not a crowded genre this year so it could take something home there.
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Bleh, I would've given Nier the Best Direction award. Best Direction seems like another way of saying "GOTY" by this standard. Nier getting best music is a great choice.

Enlong wrote: »
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    How the hell does a sandbox win best direction? I don't understand.

I'm not sure what a best direction award entails for a video game to begin with.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Okay, yes, I'm all up on Witchfire. Give. *makes grabby motions*

Crap, had my stream closed. What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk841g4SQGY

(first dump of it I could find on youtube... just wait for it...)

Where do I insert my credit card to receive this game? I adored Painkiller and Bulletstorm and will gleefully throw more money at those wonderful people.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Okay, yes, I'm all up on Witchfire. Give. *makes grabby motions*

Crap, had my stream closed. What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk841g4SQGY

(first dump of it I could find on youtube... just wait for it...)

Where do I insert my credit card to receive this game? I adored Painkiller and Bulletstorm and will gleefully throw more money at those wonderful people.

https://youtu.be/bWXvDEdnR7c

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    So what game won best multiplayer? The official site doesn't have a winner for some reason.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/XS-ojEEKrBA

Best part of last night, for anyone that missed it

That guy rules

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I was about to say are the crazy french guy memes up yet?

"THE OSCARS SHOULD FUCK THEMSELVES UP!

THIS IS THE SHIT!

THIS IS THE REAL SHIT!

INTERACTIVE GAMING!

Can you swear here?"

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    hahaha what the heck

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I've been seeing a #FUCKTHEOSCARS hashtag going around in circulation on Twitter (the funniest of which sitting under a Major Nelson post for preorder becoming available)

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have not played Breath of the wild yet, so I may eat these words someday, but Horizon was robbed for game of the year. I have a Zelda tattoo, and even I think horizon did everything so much better then its predecessors. I guess I really should get on breath of the wild to see if it lives up to the hype.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    furlion wrote: »
    I have not played Breath of the wild yet, so I may eat these words someday, but Horizon was robbed for game of the year. I have a Zelda tattoo, and even I think horizon did everything so much better then its predecessors. I guess I really should get on breath of the wild to see if it lives up to the hype.

People with the means to do so really should play both. There's a good reason a good number of people posting in the forum's HZD thread all complain about the climbing, actual open world, and collectibles if they played BotW first.

Frankly, I bounced hard off of HZD's midpoint and almost shelved it until I decided to ignore the optional stuff and only stuck around for the story. I didn't find any of the still living characters besides Aloy interesting, most of the combat was tedious as for every thunderjaw you fought there were two dozen instances of dealing with watcher swarms, glinthawks plinking away, or waiting for rockbreakers to actually do anything and you had almost no meaningful weapons that weren't just another bow but with different numbers, and hated the climbing and often having to pixel hunt for white/yellow handholds during bright sunsets or whiteout snow storms. HZD gets rightfully praised for a fascinating backstory, likable main character, and gorgeous presentation but it's nowhere near as universally enjoyed as you get the impression from if you only talk with people still gushing about the game months after they finished it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    furlion wrote: »

obviously I can't speak for everyone, but BoTW almost immediately shot into my top 5 games ever played.

the only real complaints I can give is that the cooking would benefit MASSIVELY from a recipe book and I didn't enjoy the divine beasts even a little bit.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I would put Mario first, then Horizon, then P5, then Zelda

Zelda doesn't live up to the hype, at all

Still pretty good though overall, just a lot of fucking stupid design decisions holding it back from being something special

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

THIS IS THE SHIT!

THIS IS THE REAL SHIT!

INTERACTIVE GAMING!

Can you swear here?"

Fares? I thought he was from Sweden.

He is the guy that made "Brothers", right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

THIS IS THE SHIT!

THIS IS THE REAL SHIT!

INTERACTIVE GAMING!

Can you swear here?"

Fares? I thought he was from Sweden.

He is the guy that made "Brothers", right?

Ok so it was a crazy Swedish guy.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Still pretty good though overall, just a lot of fucking stupid design decisions holding it back from being something special

Zelda exceeded the hype for me. Opinions, amirite?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy

same here for zelda

for me, odyssey was the worst most unenjoyable mario game I've ever played

Opinions plus the nature of criticism. Professional critics in a lot of mediums take into consideration if something attempts something new or particularly challenging.

Figure skating and dance judges may award a routine that wasn't performed perfectly but was more technically difficult over a simpler one performed flawlessly.
    Judges on cooking competitions will award points for originality and dock them for what they view as overly simplistic use of ingredients.
    Music critics look favorably on an artist trying out new approaches to their genre in albums and will call out ones that grow too repetitive in releases.

BotW made me hopeful and excited for what future open world games could be, something a lot of people haven't felt in a while given things like Assassin's Creed needing to take some time off to figure itself out again. I may have gotten more hours of enjoyment out of Persona 5 but when looking at the year's releases from an industry wide perspective and less of a consumer level view, priorities shift.

Steam Profile
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

same here for zelda

I think Odyssey is good, better than Sunshine or 3D World, but nowhere comes close to topping the sheer joy of Super Mario Galaxy for me.

(She/Her)
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

same here for zelda

I think Odyssey is good, better than Sunshine or 3D World, but nowhere comes close to topping the sheer joy of Super Mario Galaxy for me.

Galaxy is my favorite 3d mario easily even though I only played a little bit of it

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I think BotW is awesome for lifetime fans of the series. It's a re-released, re-recorded Best Of album for the Zelda series.

Which is great... if you know the Zelda series real well. If not, the pomp and circumstance doesn't make sense. It's for the hardcore fans, but it's not great at capturing new fans.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Quiotu wrote: »

I think BotW is awesome for lifetime fans of the series. It's a re-released, re-recorded Best Of album for the Zelda series.

Which is great... if you know the Zelda series real well. If not, the pomp and circumstance doesn't make sense. It's for the hardcore fans, but it's not great at capturing new fans.

I don't know

aside from place names and 'link' and 'zelda', there are no traditional dungeons, no linear path, the items are done in a completely different fashion, there's crafting, and armor dying, and things like that

it's probably the most unique of the series as far as I can tell

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    BotW was a shot in the arm for the franchise and genre.

Horizon was a rather well done game, but by the numbers.

Personally I thought both were a bit over hyped, but I can recognize BotW for being a breath of fresh air.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

That guy rules
    I dunno, for as much breadth video games have as a creative medium, The Game Awards is about as Oscars as you can get with them. "Here's 10 games nominated for all the categories."

That guy rules
    I dunno, for as much breadth video games have as a creative medium, The Game Awards is about as Oscars as you can get with them. "Here's 10 games nominated for all the categories."

There's always going to be some oddity trying to judge an entire medium in one format. It's similar to how Yelp and the like have to review both restaurants that serve a seasonal 7 course prie fixe dinner and a cheap Chinese takeout place both on the same scoring system. No matter how good the latter place is at what it does, if the former is good it's going to get a lot more attention in a best of contest.

We did get a pretty big mix of candidates for awards this year though. A lot of indie games. A Korean made game. A variety of genres making it into the GotY contest.

Steam Profile
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Personally I thought both were a bit over hyped, but I can recognize BotW for being a breath of fresh air.

Not being antagonistic here, genuine question: "breath of fresh air" how?

BotW is a pretty bog standard open-world survival game, IMO.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I should have stipulated "for a Zelda game".

edit- And y'know maybe there is a bit of franchise bias going on.

Both games I enjoyed and like I said I feel like both were a bit over hyped.

It is just that in one corner you have a very good Not-Zelda and in the other corner you have a very good Zelda.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I’m not the biggest Zelda fan but I think I prefer the more structured and driven approach of some of the previous games. I liked breath of the wild quite a bit but I got halfway through it and lost interest. It got hard for me to care about exploring when the most I could hope to find over yonder hill was another brief shrine with maybe a cool puzzle but probably a dumb miniboss, or yet another korok set up just like the fifty I’d found before. Maybe that’s reductive, but it’s how I was feeling ~25 hours in after the second divine beast. Still a fun game!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    "For a Zelda game" I think BotW is the worst Zelda game.

I have a lot of gripes about it, and I don't think it deserves GotY. That's not saying I think it's a bad game. I just thing it isn't worthy of the lavish praise it is being given.

But it completely destroyed everything I love about the Zelda franchise. It felt so un-Zelda to me that it really shouldn't even be a part of the series. I'd rather play any of the other modern Zelda games over BotW if I want a Zelda fix. BotW just doesn't scratch that Zelda itch.

It's got some good things going for it. The world is beautifully rendered, and it's a very pretty game to look at. Likewise, the actual act of fighting was fun, even if the weapon breaking was not. I don't have a problem with the game mechanics. I just have a serious problem with a lot of their design decisions, and the vast departure from series staples is a total turnoff to me.

Honestly, If I were to ever get that Zelda itch again, I'd probably just fire up my Wii U and play the HD version of TP or WW.

Lucascraft on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    BOTW feels extremely zelda to me. Best weapon durability system ever, the world is amazingly crafted, the little villages and people you find are fun and varied, it's difficult but the sense of adventure is fantastic. My only complaint is that the dungeons aren't very dungeony. They sort of broke up all the dungeon puzzles and dispersed them into those shrines but I want a full on old school dungeon or 8. If they left everything the same but the dungeons were longer and more indepth things I would be very pleased.

I’m not the biggest Zelda fan but I think I prefer the more structured and driven approach of some of the previous games. I liked breath of the wild quite a bit but I got halfway through it and lost interest. It got hard for me to care about exploring when the most I could hope to find over yonder hill was another brief shrine with maybe a cool puzzle but probably a dumb miniboss, or yet another korok set up just like the fifty I’d found before. Maybe that’s reductive, but it’s how I was feeling ~25 hours in after the second divine beast. Still a fun game!

I think in a lot of ways that BotW was a return to the more free structure of the original NES game. It didn't surprise me to learn they made a prototype based on the original game. If someone jumped into the series with Ocarina of Time, BotW may not feel like the Zelda they know but for older farts it's a style of game that I frankly missed no matter how much I loved the 3D games too.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Not being antagonistic here, genuine question: "breath of fresh air" how?

BotW is a pretty bog standard open-world survival game, IMO.

You certainly can engage it as an open world survival game. But a lot of people don't. IMO, survival games usually force exploration to find needed supplies to survive whereas in BotW the driver was usually more of trying to see if I could work out a good route to a weird looking location or figure out a good place to glide into a maze to bypass the bulk of it without getting lost.

A lot also depends on how much you enjoy the kinds of puzzles the game is littered with. Any given Korok seed may not have been worth much after a while but I almost always enjoyed acquiring the things which is not something I can say of most open world collectibles.

Plus some people get really creative with how they fight things:

Steam Profile
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    BOTW feels extremely zelda to me. Best weapon durability system ever, the world is amazingly crafted, the little villages and people you find are fun and varied, it's difficult but the sense of adventure is fantastic. My only complaint is that the dungeons aren't very dungeony. They sort of broke up all the dungeon puzzles and dispersed them into those shrines but I want a full on old school dungeon or 8. If they left everything the same but the dungeons were longer and more indepth things I would be very pleased.

I loved the direction they went in with Breath of the Wild, but agree that the dungeon number/variety was lacking and that is the biggest area of the classic Zelda formula that they could stand to reintegrate into any Breath of the Wild followup if they continue with the style BotW went with.

(She/Her)
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Looks like I should give Hellblade a shot.