As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Darker Side complete, finally.
    So with that and the jump rope taken care of, the rest of the 496 moons should be plain sailing, right?

Right?

Yes.

The Jump Rope moon in the biggest pain.

volleyball may be a PITA too.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Darker Side complete, finally.
    So with that and the jump rope taken care of, the rest of the 496 moons should be plain sailing, right?

Right?

Yes.

The Jump Rope moon in the biggest pain.

volleyball may be a PITA too.

Volleyball was long and dull, but with the 2 player controls it was at least fairly easy if you concentrated.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jump rope moon was super easy! Now, the gold koopa races... those are a pain. Specifically the one on the forest kingdom. I know the shortcut I need to take to beat him, but I just can't do it. I have trouble making Mario jump straight forward sometimes, especially when the camera is at a fixed angle.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Jump rope moon was super easy! Now, the gold koopa races... those are a pain. Specifically the one on the forest kingdom. I know the shortcut I need to take to beat him, but I just can't do it. I have trouble making Mario jump straight forward sometimes, especially when the camera is at a fixed angle.

I found those too easy honestly.

With the exception of the lost kingdom one.

EDIT: probably because I never raced fair in the first place in those. Gotta chest like a motherfucker. Didn’t need to look up strats, though.

21stCentury on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only koopa race I found tricky was the snow kingdom. There's no trick to it or cheat you can use to shave some seconds off, it's just a pure sprint.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The only koopa race I found tricky was the snow kingdom. There's no trick to it or cheat you can use to shave some seconds off, it's just a pure sprint.

What about going directly for the side whirlwind? That’s much faster than the gold koopa iirc.

21stCentury on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    This conversation is funny to me. None of the turtle races were hard at all for me since if all else fails you can just follow the gold turtle and beat him that way. Even the volleyball wasn't too bad once I put a few minutes into it. That one was more super boring because it was too slow for 30+ hits. The jump rope one, though, made me want to smash things because the timing of it was terrible for me. I ended up going portable for it and I still did weird shit compared to people to get past it. I used the hat throw every 2nd jump or so to reset where Mario was in relation to the jumprope. Otherwise I always just started lagging until I hit the rope.

The koopa races all have tricks you can do to circumvent the normal path and get there faster

Look up videos on youtube on how to do them faster. As long as you can do the long jump -> hat toss ->hat jump trick, you should be able to speed through most of them.

The koopa races all have tricks you can do to circumvent the normal path and get there faster

Look up videos on youtube on how to do them faster. As long as you can do the long jump -> hat toss ->hat jump trick, you should be able to speed through most of them.

The races aren't that long though so you should be able to figure it out on your own. It is necessary to be able to do that trick though. You'll never finish first without it.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Remember you can pause the game during a koopa race and there's an option to retry the race. Allows you to easily learn the paths quickly without ending the race every time.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Gold forest koopa was pretty easy. I just long jumped off the start, and did the rest the normal way.
    There was another shortcut I was going to try, but I didn't even need it.

I'm going to have to look up some of these picture clues, though.
    That one in the Sand kingdom with the koopa and the bushes was cruel. I figured 'Oh, it must mean it's close to the koopa', spent twenty minutes trying everything, then ended up just searching any group of two bushes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.

Gold forest koopa was pretty easy. I just long jumped off the start, and did the rest the normal way.
    There was another shortcut I was going to try, but I didn't even need it.

I'm going to have to look up some of these picture clues, though.
    That one in the Sand kingdom with the koopa and the bushes was cruel. I figured 'Oh, it must mean it's close to the koopa', spent twenty minutes trying everything, then ended up just searching any group of two bushes.

If I remember, the forest kingdom ended up being super easy.
    Right near the end, you can skip the entire section where you raise / lower platforms by long jumping across the gap in front of you.

The only ones I really struggled with race-wise were Bowsers (the opening is the most important part. if you can build a lead off that you'll win) and Luncheon (I kept trying to do very complicated skip, and instead settled for just hat jumping across some islands along side the mountain to save a bunch of time in the start).

The only ones I really struggled with race-wise were Bowsers (the opening is the most important part. if you can build a lead off that you'll win) and Luncheon (I kept trying to do very complicated skip, and instead settled for just hat jumping across some islands along side the mountain to save a bunch of time in the start).

Yeah the luncheon one didn't actually need anything than the initial jump. After that you can just go normally and win for some reason. Bowser's was kind of the same way though I went a different direction than the gold turtle and still beat him by a ton. I found the hardest race was the water world one. Not the beach one, but the other water one. I couldn't find any good shortcuts there so I just had to win by being faster.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Yeah the luncheon one didn't actually need anything than the initial jump. After that you can just go normally and win for some reason. Bowser's was kind of the same way though I went a different direction than the gold turtle and still beat him by a ton. I found the hardest race was the water world one. Not the beach one, but the other water one. I couldn't find any good shortcuts there so I just had to win by being faster.

For that one
    You can high jump/cap throw/cap jump/wall kick/cap throw/dive over the wall to the left (where the stairs normally are)
    That puts you like 30 seconds ahead.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

Best shortcut is jumping over the initial wall up to where the goomba are. Long jump towards the wall, hat jump, wall jump, use hat throw to change momentum back towards the wall. You should end up right on the top.

Best shortcut is jumping over the initial wall up to where the goomba are. Long jump towards the wall, hat jump, wall jump, use hat throw to change momentum back towards the wall. You should end up right on the top.

I figured that would work, but never put in the effort since it's more complicated than just running the race normally.

Not by much, honestly. And with the ability to reset from the pause menu it makes it pretty easy to practice (or you could practice for as long as you want, then reset)

Figure out the Jump Rope glitch. I feel bad but that was just not fun.

999 moons, every purple coin collected, every souvenir bought, every outfit and hat gotten, every piece of music found.

I have never completed a Mario game 100% before.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

999 moons, every purple coin collected, every souvenir bought, every outfit and hat gotten, every piece of music found.

I passed 900 moons and got all kingdom moons, got all souvenirs, captures, music, etc., but I'm going to stop there. I don't feel like grinding another 20k coins just to get the remaining shop moons and outfits. I did get the 9999 coin outfit though.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

I passed 900 moons and got all kingdom moons, got all souvenirs, captures, music, etc., but I'm going to stop there. I don't feel like grinding another 20k coins just to get the remaining shop moons and outfits. I did get the 9999 coin outfit though.

There's a real easy spot in Bowser's Kingdom to grind coins

I get 4,000 coins in like twenty minutes or so

What spot is this? The fire flower spot is like 140 every two minutes because you have get the stupid acorn every time.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

What spot is this? The fire flower spot is like 140 every two minutes because you have get the stupid acorn every time.

I believe it's 190

Maybe it was longer than twenty minutes but it didn't feel long!

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    170 to 180. If you hit every single ring including the stomp at the end it will be 180 every time. The secret is that the only buttons you should press are Throw, Jump, and then start jamming on crouch around the gap between the last two rows of coins.

With complete perfection in getting the seed and getting the coins you can probably hit over 5K in 20min with very little (quite literally) effort.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

edited December 2017
    I guess. I found it boring and slow when I did it.

shadowane on
    Well, I wouldn't say it's the most fun part of the game ;)

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I kind of have a little route to take around kingdoms to known coinpiles but that sounds way faster

it does seem like a bit of an oversight that you can't really just amass the 1-2000 coin stacks needed for stuff in a straightforward way. I find that at the moment (500-600 moons) an evening of just general exploring and post-game moon checklisting nets me enough for one new hat/outfit or a moon purchase. That is a nice rhythm, but I can already tell that's not going to last long since the moons are increasingly becoming the kind of "Go to Kingdom X, repeat task Y" thing where I don't need to do much/any exploring.

Also makes it a bit of an obnoxious speedrun hurdle.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    170 to 180. If you hit every single ring including the stomp at the end it will be 180 every time. The secret is that the only buttons you should press are Throw, Jump, and then start jamming on crouch around the gap between the last two rows of coins.

With complete perfection in getting the seed and getting the coins you can probably hit over 5K in 20min with very little (quite literally) effort.

Listen to this person, they know what they're talking about

this spot in bowser's kingdom is the real deal

Listen to this person, they know what they're talking about

this spot in bowser's kingdom is the real deal

I managed to grind to 9999 coins in less than an hour.

It's pretty easy, you just throw cappy and jump, if you don't move the controller, you get all the coins.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I took the wife out for her birthday today and got her a 1-hour prenatal massage.

"But Dover, what does that have to do with Mario Odyssey?" (possible late game spoiler)
    2arjhsq6lcsl.jpg

Well, I didn't sit around and wait. Those moons aren't going to collect themselves. This system is amazing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Worst thing about jump rope is seeing my friend's high scores of over 300.

He lives an hours drive away. But I am extremely tempted to turn up at his door with my switch, screaming "DO IT FOR ME!"

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Worst thing about jump rope is seeing my friend's high scores of over 300.

He lives an hours drive away. But I am extremely tempted to turn up at his door with my switch, screaming "DO IT FOR ME!"

I feel no regrets abusing the Talkatoo glitch. I literally don't think I'm physically capable of doing it legitimately.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'm confused by all the talk about the jump rope thing. I'm not super good at video games or anything but I think I got 100 third try and could've kept going for a good while. :(

For me the secret was doing the lightest possible tap for jumping, so I gained the least height and could jump again sooner.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    OK, after seeing the ending, I got to ask, is this proof that Princess Peach is playing Mario and Bowser against each other for her own amusement?

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    She only got mad when they started literally competing with each other for her affection infront of her. Which seems reasonable.
    Matthew wrote: »
    OK, after seeing the ending, I got to ask, is this proof that Princess Peach is playing Mario and Bowser against each other for her own amusement?
    When Mario originally approached her with the flower she was surprised. She only got mad when Bowser and Mario started literally competing with each other for her affection infront of her. Which seems reasonable.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    When Mario originally approached her with the flower she was surprised. She only got mad when Bowser and Mario started literally competing with each other for her affection infront of her. Which seems reasonable.
    I'm OK with her saying no. It's when she stole Mario's ride and was prepared to leave him stranded on the moon that things got a little dark.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited December 2017
    I'm OK with her saying no. It's when she stole Mario's ride and was prepared to leave him stranded on the moon that things got a little dark.

She shouts to Mario:
    *sigh* Let's go home!

Mblackwell on

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm disappointed by how that turned out because I was hoping -- even though I knew it was probably never going to happen-- that maybe Mario and Peach would get married, and that might be enough to get Bowser to quit kidnapping her constantly.

I'm just tired of that trope, particularly/especially as it seems like a big part of why Peach is so seldom playable. That was one thing I LOVED in 3D World-- the second Bowser didn't have eyes on kidnapping Peach, not only was she playable, but she led the charge after him when he kidnapped the Sprixie princess.

I want more of that, but as long as Bowser has eyes for her, it seems like she's destined for the back burner more often than not, and for no particularly good reason.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

She shouts to Mario:
    *sigh* Let's go home!
    Which she could have been saying to the caps for all we know. :)

She was also gambling pretty hard that Mario would actually make it on the ship since she was shockingly far out. And technically Mario wouldn't have made it on his own, he needed the boost from Bowser's face to make it.

...I am being a petty prick here. It obviously doesn't matter, it was all played for comedy, don't think about it, yadda yadda. Still, I was just mildly shocked seeing that cutscene. Like... woah.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

She shouts to Mario:
    *sigh* Let's go home!
    Which she could have been saying to the caps for all we know. :)

She was also gambling pretty hard that Mario would actually make it on the ship since she was shockingly far out. And technically Mario wouldn't have made it on his own, he needed the boost from Bowser's face to make it.

...I am being a petty prick here. It obviously doesn't matter, it was all played for comedy, don't think about it, yadda yadda. Still, I was just mildly shocked seeing that cutscene. Like... woah.
    Unless this is canonically the final Mario game, Bowser somehow will manage to get off the moon. So we know that Mario could as well, even if Peach left him there. And who can say she wouldn't have rolled her eyes and turned around and picked him up if he had missed his ride?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky