As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my damn thread for drawing boxes NSFARACHNAPHOBES

2»

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    gave this one a proper try now that I had the time to

U0E7LCP.jpg
    2beTI2f.jpg
    7vmzaY9.jpg

then I did the first plant with my own critique but it's hard to read because I don't have good hand writing and the light washed it out a bit. I'm going to do it again, do some more with the walkthrough then tomorrow I'll be doing them on my own from plants to see how that goes
    X5OOTs3.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey man!

Nice progress. I think the organization of the squares really helped, that first image I feel like alot of the outer ones have the same angle, but the second image shows more control and thought over what you are trying to achieve.

I think your cylinders would benefit from the same sort of organization. Remember that the end goal is to be able to effortlessly turn an object in space, but on the page. As your mark making improves and gets more confident, the exercises need to be about more than just mindlessly putting shapes down. Building up a confidence around knowing that a cylinder at a particular angle is something you can draw is part of the process.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Yes, the second image with the squares and circles and then the pitcher plant are much more useful ways of structuring this exercise. I still think it could be helpful to take a can of beans or something and set it in front of you, then draw/rotate/draw it again/rotate it again/etc until you have drawn it a full rotation.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    for some reason gel pens and artist paper don't mix because it will constantly stop putting ink down on the paper and I don't know why it happens

X9jwpVL.jpg
    first couple were reversed
    Y9NCEFa.jpg
    s3GLZ2A.jpg
    1RyqFDK.jpg
    Uq2Yycm.jpg
    DWHHhjZ.jpg
    wvZG1ta.jpg
    l0AxdI2.jpg
    n1Bz8fZ.jpg
    c0bv831.jpg

with the 3 demos done the training wheels will be off so it will probably be a solid week+ of plants

Jars on
  • Options
    that was brutal

asmo9WO.jpg
    h0H9rFO.jpg
    5pS8psZ.jpg
    zVEzmSY.jpg

• Options
    not much time today but I did get my first full detail one done

UDGXUy0.jpg

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Hey these plants are looking great! your line confidence has improve a lot! Something with the cylinders: I think you should make a real eyeline, draw 2 pt perspective on it, and make some boxes, and then draw ellipses on all their surfaces. The thing is to see how they change as planes recede into perspective, I think you're getting a little too cautious with forshortening stuff, and its making things look like they're getting squished instead of having perspective. This pic is talking about drawing streets, but the main point is really that perspective effects stuff more radically than you would think and everyone gets a little cautious and wants to show a little more than you would really see
    5r7eal6ums2f.png

• Options
    ughhh plants are just a pile of leafs and stems and shit

dvMFiUd.jpg
    DJPpChq.jpg
    js2GrWi.jpg
    rVy2gj2.jpg
    DChmEc7.jpg

• Options
    okay I'm not doing a week of plants, that's crazy.

EoAoHtY.jpg
    sKsofDZ.jpg
    SoLGuOa.jpg
    RpzsbML.jpg
    21Ejiau.jpg

• Options
    Yecw1w0.jpg
    LqfrMhf.jpg
    ocPaddx.jpg

that's enough plants for now, which means it's time for arachnids
    yAAtUVf.jpg
    F1I9JuB.jpg

doing the scorpion again as the body is all off

• Options
    I have to study anatomy and write notes now. what do they think this is, school?

X48tA2m.jpg
    4LlkJhI.jpg
    aFfoxLb.jpg

• Options
    moths are incredibly hard to draw, who knew?

DcYvyXF.jpg
    bk2AtMr.jpg
    jZvBJDg.jpg
    1HNien2.jpg
    OKJzyy5.jpg
    RHUmoKr.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I am just too tired tonight. at least I'm not afraid of spiders

ad19wZJ.jpg
    bTBugPk.jpg
    VmHcra1.jpg

Jars on
  • Options
    I think one more day of creepy crawlies will be it

H9TljX2.jpg
    a4QsOyJ.jpg
    ll3SD4W.jpg
    EtIdNiO.jpg

• Options
    I drew a bird. I made lots of umm... happy accidents they call them

ZorYRPm.jpg
    Yx4qJhw.jpg
    l2hwftt.jpg
    q1xtCxs.jpg
    gAbJzhe.jpg

• Options
    so the demos were kind of whatever, but the birds felt odd. they seemed easy to do which could mean a few things: 1) I'm getting better 2) I did everything wrong 3) they're just birds

tEfpvtk.jpg
    pDwBMLL.jpg
    pw9NuVh.jpg
    6zkrKTE.jpg
    iKHoAP9.jpg

• Options
    some of these were... bad. I know I can do better tomorrow

yICYwoW.jpg
    Hhfu0lO.jpg
    b4ClZYV.jpg
    YoCtVR2.jpg
    KYS2Eug.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2017
    A lot of your basic shapes are still a bit warped and skewed. When you are getting into the more complex things, like the dog and big cat, proportions are getting a out of control. As soon as you hit something as particular as anatomy, small spatial discrepancies make a large difference.

I'll try and do some draw-overs when I get back home, I'm traveling at the moment. The draw a box methodology skips over a ton of basic observation and measuring tools, which is what you begin to learn when you do still life drawings. Drawing things like juice boxes and toilet paper rolls are part of the way that artists initially train to use their eyes to assess something: "What does the top of this toilet paper roll look like from the angle I'm sitting at? How do I draw the correct ellipses?" "When I drew this juice box, why can't I replicate the label? Is it because the I drew the proportions wrong? Is this face of the object too wide?"

For instance, when looking at this:
    y19ubf3r6ua7.png

The rightmost drawings are fairly imprecise. The bottom right looks like a long skinny oval, the top right looks like it has a top face that is tilted towards the viewer, like the top of a used lipstick. These small inconsistencies dont feel very critical when you are just drawing a page of cylinders. Drawing simpler objects than birds and panthers makes it a bit easier to see mistakes, and particularly inorganic forms, that have less hidden structure to approximate. You're goal is to be able to look at something, either in real life or in a photo, and know how to translate that into its basic 3d properties in your head, and translate that on a 2d surface accurately. The process is deceptively complex to teach, and easy to take for granted when you have some of the basics and not all of it.

I draw enough organic forms that it still takes me some time, generally, to nail putting down the right structural shapes. The reason a lot of the advice you are being given is also being sandwiched with advice to slow down, is because even when you are experienced, sometimes you'll get the structure wrong initially and need to adjust. case and point, in this video around 8:40 :
    https://youtu.be/3uEtdDvK6Xo?t=517

In this section of his video, the first cube Proko draws in his example video about structure is incorrect. A user comments "at 8:42 this first box is incorrect though. We see the bottom plane, so we are looking upward, and the lines of the box would converge upwards, not downwards."

Proko acknowledges this is a mistake in the subsequent comments, as he can immediately see that was not the form he intended when he looked back at it. It's not that proko cant draw cubes accurately, it's obvious that he can, but the process actually requires thought, and continues to, indefinitely. You'll need to develop the senses to get it right consistently, but also develop methods to find your mistakes.

Iruka on
  • Options
    figures it would come back to cylinders. I also have a terrible tendency to elongate things horizontally. I did all these from real objects today

fzwCyY7.jpg
    1GI7mV5.jpg
    2AMVbAl.jpg

• Options
    we've still got Big Problems but I think there's some improvement here. I might have lost my focus on the 3rd one, that one got all haphazard after how well the second one turned out

hwUeEBR.jpg
    N5Y7Ei8.jpg

• Options
    similar to yesterday but the 4th one felt very solid with the forms

GflL9eu.jpg
    uQcXApE.jpg

• Options
    aDcQtxj.jpg
    TT3BaOu.jpg

• Options
    consistency is difficult with how mentally taxing these are

pBkVRrj.jpg
    rQQw49E.jpg
    0SBuoTx.jpg

• Options
    took a break from the more difficult stuff to do some mechanical things and simpler fish, then finished off the lesson for now. I might do more still, I haven't decided.

Z6sPv7K.jpg
    FOe9WZf.jpg
    5EScHLD.jpg
    i2O8VM5.jpg

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    This latest round of deer is markedly better than your previous attempt! Those fish are lookin quite good too. Seems like this exercise has helped! Keep it up, yo

• Options
    TzaqQql.jpg
    8EBHEie.jpg
    AdGno1B.jpg
    i0SLyPJ.jpg
    Rxms40H.jpg

• Options
    P5ncvKL.jpg
    onEHOEk.jpg
    akD2Qns.jpg
    W3CnYgi.jpg

• Options
    holiday forum put me behind a bit on updates, but I can scan stuff now

ZwBN0kT.jpg
    mUAA5fn.jpg
    lXU4DxI.jpg
    Ss5nqLn.jpg
    gc3Ojyc.jpg
    q07qDvH.jpg
    I0hIiKC.jpg

• Options
    I did some more animals but I've been testing out some figure drawing stuff. not quite sure how I feel about it yet

x9cvWLN.jpg
    nTSjBVl.jpg
    52sKHd1.jpg
    QviuAOl.jpg
    orhcpoL.jpg
    uFLqw5J.jpg
    2XP46l8.jpg
    GJ6INMx.jpg

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lots of studies in here! Which is great!

I feel like you should mix in some actual work too. Studies are nice, and are much like sharpening your ax if you're a logger. But it's important to remember to cut down some trees, no matter what ax you currently have. Because that's the actual job.

Hope that analogy makes sense!

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Lots of studies in here! Which is great!

I feel like you should mix in some actual work too. Studies are nice, and are much like sharpening your ax if you're a logger. But it's important to remember to cut down some trees, no matter what ax you currently have. Because that's the actual job.

Hope that analogy makes sense!

Just browsing through threads, but I wanted to say - this sounds like awesome advice. I find it very hard to accept the ax I currently have and keep putting off doing work because "I'm not good enough yet...".

Also your studies are awesome Jars!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha