As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chimera's Midweek Movie Monster Mash! [b-movies from 80's and 90's]

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Hi so, the move has been taxing as is my new sleep schedule. I was mid move on wednesday so I will be streaming tomorrow night starting around.... oh I don't know how does 7pm EST sound?

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Are we still allowed to make suggestions? Because I thought of a couple in the last few days.

First of all, a very early 80s comic book movie (no really!), Condorman http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082199/

And secondly, a Christmas special that I have always loved but is fairly obscure, A Claymation Christmas Celebration http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272045/

And I am guessing that the next stream is Monday at 7pm EST? Hopefully I'll be able to make at least some of that one.

steam_sig.png
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Yeah tomorrow will have a monday and a wednesday stream and I will see if that is avalible for the xmas show. Right now it will have A Christmas Story, National Lampoon Christmas Vacation, and a couple others.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    You need to sneak in Black Christmas in there for a true Christmas stream. The 1974 version.

Or Silent Night, Deadly Night

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Black Christmas directed by the same guy who did a Christmas Story

So anyone around that wants to watch some stuff tonight or wait till wednesday?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I am around but I've also been up all day and getting ever sleepier.

uyvfOQy.png
    Want to watch a french documentary then? :P

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'll be in 3 hours, as always.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'll be in 3 hours, as always.

I'll wait to start it for you if we can get a couple more on board. Until then I am going back to watching Amazon Prime stuffs.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Check out Charlie Jade. It's good! And weird!

uyvfOQy.png
    Right now I am looking through the more recent storm chasing ones and trying to find my self or my friends in them. Already 10 min in and I have found a few!

Come watch the documentary if you want. We are looking for me or my friends to make cameos. https://www.rabb.it/ChiTheMonster

casual stream night tonight. Bloodsport just started. Come join in: https://www.rabb.it/ChiTheMonster

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Are we still allowed to make suggestions? Because I thought of a couple in the last few days.

First of all, a very early 80s comic book movie (no really!), Condorman http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082199/

And secondly, a Christmas special that I have always loved but is fairly obscure, A Claymation Christmas Celebration http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272045/

And I am guessing that the next stream is Monday at 7pm EST? Hopefully I'll be able to make at least some of that one.

CONDORMAN IS SO COOL!!! Seriously, one of my favorite movies and I wish I could own it on blu-ray.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The Porsche 911s in Condorman were really informative for my love of cars. That model has always had a special place in my heart.

Airplane on stream now! :D Come join your fellow [chat]ers and learn why today was a bad day to stop sniffing glue! https://www.rabb.it/ChiTheMonster

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of stoked that I am not alone in fondly remembering Condorman. They had some quality stunt driving for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I've been going through episodes of RLM's Best of the Worst the last few days while I work and there's apparently a second movie with Leo Fong and Cameron Mitchell called "Low Blow". That would be great for the "Kill Point" encore as a back to back.

NSDFRand on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Samurai Cop

It has Robert Z'Dar and his massive chin

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I watched a neighborhood turn into a literal war zone and the cops' best plan was to send this random guy who apparently has a history as a hard-boiled vigilante in to take care of a gang of hundreds. Somehow, the National Guard was not called.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Airplane! was never my jam, but until last night I never realized just how much of that film jokes about really unfunny shit, like PTSD, child abuse, pedophelia, homophobia, rampant sexism, racism, and suicide. That movie leans hard into all of that.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    Airplane! was never my jam, but until last night I never realized just how much of that film jokes about really unfunny shit, like PTSD, child abuse, pedophelia, homophobia, rampant sexism, racism, and suicide. That movie leans hard into all of that.

That is practically guaranteed for a 1980's comedy.

Couscous on
    Couscous wrote: »

Hey, revenge of the nerds didn’t go in for any of that

They just thought rape was funny

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

It's weird because it's about 50% that 50% terrible dad jokes

I dunno I still love it

• see317see317 Registered User regular

What?
    You may want to watch Revenge of The Nerds again. Or not. Probably not.
    With the possible exception of suicide and PTSD (unless you count the sequels), I'm pretty sure it hits all those notes.

Maybe not as clearly as Airplane, but they're there.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Does the black, gay nerd not count?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekgHgk7QGE

Did Ghostbusters have any of that stuff? Its issues nowadays have more to do with the Reagan era "government regulation bad" themes.

Couscous on
    see317 wrote: »

What?
    With the possible exception of suicide and PTSD (unless you count the sequels), I'm pretty sure it hits all those notes.

I was being sarcastic.

"Hey, this movie isn't so bad, only had a few rape jokes" is not a literal statement of support I would make.

C'mon, people.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

What?

I was being sarcastic.

"Hey, this movie isn't so bad, only had a few rape jokes" is not a literal statement of support I would make.

C'mon, people.

Looks like you picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Did Ghostbusters have any of that stuff? Its issues nowadays have more to do with the Reagan era "government regulation bad" themes.

I love that film, but parts of it get harder to defend as I get older.

The scene where Peter checks out Dana's apartment is basically five minutes of him sexually harassing her and badgering her for sex and her getting really pissed off about it. In the 80s, this was supposed to be endearing; it showed Peter as a loose and grounded "guy's guy" and introduced Dana as "cold and uptight." Nowadays it plays really really differently.

And to your earlier point, Revenge of the Nerds is weirdly progressive (while being horribly stereotyping) in its treatment of its gay character, considering how much it shits on just about everyone else in stupendously regressive fashion.

What?

I was being sarcastic.

C'mon, people.

Looks like you picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Hey, man, I'm no quitter

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    On that note, there was a point in Blood Sport last night where this sleezy guy's trying to get in Soon-To-Be Love Interest's pants so Jean-Claude shows up, but he can't fight outside the kumite without being DQ'd, so he challenges him to a coin snatching speed thing. "You win, you get the girl."

Naturally she's still like "WHAT?! No, that's fucked! I'm out of here!" but all the guys agreed so she kinda had to roll with it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Ilpala wrote: »
    On that note, there was a point in Blood Sport last night where this sleezy guy's trying to get in Soon-To-Be Love Interest's pants so Jean-Claude shows up, but he can't fight outside the kumite without being DQ'd, so he challenges him to a coin snatching speed thing. "You win, you get the girl."

Naturally she's still like "WHAT?! No, that's fucked! I'm out of here!" but all the guys agreed so she kinda had to roll with it.

thems the rules, yo

• see317see317 Registered User regular

What?

I was being sarcastic.

C'mon, people.

I apologize. I really can't detect sarcasm online anymore.
    Used to be if somebody said something outrageously or obviously incorrect i could understand that they're actually (probably) just joking and I shouldn't take what they said at face value because who could actually do, say or think something like that in reality with a straight face?

Any more though...

I apologize, I should have thought better in this case.

What?

I was being sarcastic.

C'mon, people.

I apologize. I really can't detect sarcasm online anymore.
    Used to be if somebody said something outrageously or obviously incorrect i could understand that they're actually (probably) just joking and I shouldn't take what they said at face value because who could actually do, say or think something like that in reality with a straight face?

Any more though...

I apologize, I should have thought better in this case.

it's cool <3

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So we doing movies tonight or what?

are YOU on the beer list?
    We are! I had to run and errand over at the National Weather Center but I am home now and the room is getting set up!

https://www.rabb.it/ChiTheMonster

Music for now as I build the list for tonight.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    We are! I had to run and errand over at the National Weather Center but I am home now and the room is getting set up!

Music for now as I build the list for tonight.

Take your time, no rush (you have 30 minutes before I get home)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Stream starting! Up first:

8f8y2ezgptb5.jpg

Come join us!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I only caught the last little bit of Undefeatable but I can at least say it ends strong.