As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This will almost certainly be the first time we get the G rank expansion with the Japanese rather than a complete edition like we did with the previous western releases.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They don't always call it "g", and we don't always get it in the west. Monster hunter 4 got 2 g editions in 'generations' and 'xx'.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I beat all three in like 40 minutes total.

Is...it seems pretty easy.

The MH4U demo was really easy also.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    They don't always call it "g", and we don't always get it in the west. Monster hunter 4 got 2 g editions in 'generations' and 'xx'.

mh4 got mh4g/mh4u

generations is a vanilla and xx is the g of generations

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Waitwaitwait, you can charge the SWORD for the charge axe now too?

After shield is charged press R2+Circle and hold triangle.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    The hunting horn is really great @TimFiji

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Entaru wrote: »
    The hunting hornEverything is really great TimFiji

LD50 on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, I went into the training and every weapon was pretty interesting, though difficult to figure out the peculiarities outside of the 3 or 4 combos they give.

I think this is a great demo to people like me who haven't played these games before, though I can understand vets being wary of changes.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Won't have time to properly play this, but I downloaded the beta anyways and tested out the gameplay on my Vita through remote play and it's really cool, but I really wish they would stop locking down the control schemes and allowing for us to have custom button layouts for remote play.
    Whatever though.... Not a big priority. Big screen it is and I can't wait!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A stream-chat described Insect Glaive as "Hold my beer: The weapon".

• Options
    A well-placed wyversnipe really just makes me feel so giddy with anticipation of the eventual explosions. It's actually not that hard to set up properly either. Basically any time the monster is downed or paralyzed you get a great opening. I really wish there was more options for this radial dial stuff though. Or maybe if they just changed it so you can sharpen without sheathing without the radial menu.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm trying out more consistent DPS weapon options. Testing the longsword and the dual sword. Outside of the obvious reach distance, they strike me as kind of similar.

Anyone who has used either more often wanna share some insight?

Edit: Dualsword seems to have some kinda launch yourself into the air off of the monster in worlds that I can't seem to consistently proc but is dope as hell when it works. Also man I am getting really fast clear times with DS, they are fun.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I feel the same way about a nicely timed dragonpiercer, Dracil

Bow is.....amazing. I have super fast clear times with the bow, especially with the new critical distance reticle. I'm not sure I....like close range coatings? It seems like they are only a really marginal increase in arrow damage, at the cost of a lot of range. But it's good to have at least an infinite coating when power coating runs out.

I also love the dodge into charge shot

• Options
    Close range coating seems to me best used for killing little critters or if you end up fighting a monster in a phonebooth sized cave, otherwise, yeah, it's not worth giving up the range, imo.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Switch-Axe sounds nice. Swoosh, clicky, swoosh, clicky, psssh.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    The hunting horn is really great @TimFiji

I bet! I only have a PC and switch so I won't be playing MH for awhile

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      How many of you do I need to buy PS4's for?

My wife is going to kill me.

• Options
      Inquisitor wrote: »
      Close range coating seems to me best used for killing little critters or if you end up fighting a monster in a phonebooth sized cave, otherwise, yeah, it's not worth giving up the range, imo.

I did some more testing on the dummy, and if you can consistently land dragonpiercers with close range coatings applied, it's good.

That is, dragonpiercer shots seem to have their own critical range, regardless of coating, and still get the damage boost from close range coatings.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Not me, I do not want a PS4!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

Not me, I do not want a PS4!

Tough.

• Options
        edited December 2017

Heh.

Will finally be able to afford mine rigggghht around mid January just before launch with the way things are going. I probably should have been saving up for a few months around the game's announcement but thought I was settling for just PC version until the hype really bit me.

Dr. Chaos on
      • Options
        Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
        I basically got a PS4 for this game, so I intend to play the hell out of it tomorrow and tuesday before it comes out. I liked the bow but I feel like I wasn't using it right because I couldn't maximize it's damage, though I am very pleased with how all the ranged weapons feel compared to my experiences with Tri, maybe it's just me but in Tri they felt very awkward to try and use solo and now they feel right.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
      • Options
        edited December 2017
        Anjanoth in 6:46.966 multiplayer. Getting more and more optimized kill times.

Dracil on
      • Options
        At the end of the day I am a lancer at heart:

https://youtu.be/Y51bQwgsyLY

• Options
        Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
        Oh, so that is how you greatsword
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM

• Options
        PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
        No tail cut? Poor!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      • Options
        Wow.

Okay I need to start abusing the shoulder tackle constantly it seems, holy crap.

• Options
        That otomo ham channel also has this video that took my solo Anjanath bow hunting down two minutes.

Turns out, abusing the side hops into a charge shot followed by dragon piercers at every opportunity is a legit strategy

https://youtu.be/Cg7dQvjviW0

• Options
        fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
        Inquisitor wrote: »
        Wow.

Okay I need to start abusing the shoulder tackle constantly it seems, holy crap.

YUP

weakness exploit instead of crit draw for GS was already a thing in generations and xx but now i feel its going to be the way to play GS

the true strong charge is ridiculous

you can shoulder bash through roars!!!!

J3qcnBP.png
      • Options
        ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        Ratsult2 wrote: »
        Oh, so that is how you greatsword
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM

Are there i-frames on the GS shoulder tackle? It seemed like the player was tackling into attacks and not getting hit/stunned by them.

My studio's main site
        PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
      • Options
        Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
        So I did the first hunt and this is basically dark souls with a much limited moveset and a much easier boss that takes entirely too long to kill with a time limit.

I think I'll pass.

• Options
        edited December 2017
        So I did the first hunt and this is basically dark souls with a much limited moveset and a much easier boss that takes entirely too long to kill with a time limit.

I think I'll pass.
        As someone who has beaten the first two Dark Souls and currently Running through the third, Monster Hunter's weapons are more complex and varied than DS'.

Time is limit is 50 minutes in the final version (more than enough time to kill everything with time to spare) and Great Jagras isn't meant to be anything other than a punching bag that can be taken out in minutes. Its a jobber monster like The Great Jaggi.

You want a challenge, go find the Rathalos and Diabolos in the beta. They will decimate hunters who aren't familiar with them.

Dr. Chaos on
      • Options

I think I'll pass.

Weapons in monster hunter typically have much larger movesets than Dark Souls. Also the weapons vary much more than weapons do in Dark Souls.

Also the first hunt is basically a training hunt and you should be able to drop the boss in a couple minutes tops.

Also this series predates Dark Souls by quite a bit.

Ain’t no one saying you need to like the game but you are definitely speaking from a position of ignorance.

• Options
        edited December 2017
        Yeah, saying the first monster was easy is like killing the first mob in a Souls game and saying it's not that hard.

In other news, downed Diablos in about 15m and Rathalos in about 17m! I'm officially done with the beta as far as accomplishments goes. Just need to play with a friend who won't be able to play till tomorrow.

Dracil on
      • Options
        BasilBasil Registered User regular
        edited December 2017
        Welp, you heard it here first. The weapon combo lists are even smaller than in Souls.

Pack it in, cancel those pre-orders, and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

For real though, to start off with, you hunt giant cow dinosaurs for meat.

Basil on
        9KmX8eN.jpg
      • Options
        Huh, just came across this. So many nice features in the full game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvhsraBbxFs

• Options
        Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
        Well, what am I doing wing with the great jargus? It took 10 minutes if beating in it with a big sword to kill it.

• Options
        BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
        Well, what am I doing wing with the great jargus? It took 10 minutes if beating in it with a big sword to kill it.

10 minutes? Well, if it's taking 10 minutes you're probably not connecting as much as you think you are.

I'd be curious to see how this has less of a moveset than DS, keep in mind a lot of the combos and moves aren't printed out for you. Typically they have much larger movesets than DS. As far as the bosses being easy (at least the first boss as you mention) Jagras is basically a slightly larger regular mob. The monsters the quests focus on in this demo are basically to get people familiar with the game. The later bosses do have a lot of health, but they're also much more difficult, most of them will one/two shot you if you aren't prepared.

• Options
        DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
        I've decided I was way over reacting about the changed sfx, music etc. I'm still not super happy about it but it's no reason to let it ruin my fun. I honestly didn't even notice it at first I was having so much fun. I can be really rigid and immature about things I become a big fan of, something I'm working to change. As for the other stuff that isn't in this one, well the 3ds games still exist and I can visit them.

Anyways enough of that - this game is awesome and I'm excited for many hunts to come!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
      • Options
        BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
        DarkMecha wrote: »
        I've decided I was way over reacting about the changed sfx, music etc. I'm still not super happy about it but it's no reason to let it ruin my fun. I honestly didn't even notice it at first I was having so much fun. I can be really rigid and immature about things I become a big fan of, something I'm working to change. As for the other stuff that isn't in this one, well the 3ds games still exist and I can visit them.

Anyways enough of that - this game is awesome and I'm excited for many hunts to come!

Hey, I know what you mean. Maybe they'll have a sound fx pack or something down the road ;)

But for reals, is there a single monster hunter vet that didn't burn their first steak? I was like, wait, WAIT the song isn't done! FSSSSSSST burnt. That new jingle threw me bigtime.