As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle for the Encmire

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    With the holiday weekend upon us and the

MECHAGOAT
    (momentary heavy metal music)

Having done its glorious work, it was time to continue making progress. This weekend I wanted to knock out the "Zone: One" chalk pebble bed alongside the house.

But I had a lot ahead of me:
    img_1437.jpgimg_1438.jpg

The old beds were a problem, partially because they were too small and partially because, due to bonkers decisions by the previous owners, the AC freon and electrical lines, the plumbing lines, and the sprinkler line all run through it and ~very~ close to the surface, leading all of them to be wrapped up in plant roots many times (to my pocketbook's dismay). So they had to go. The goal is to keep the two plants we have left in the area there, and to leave the rest just pebbles to make servicing easier in the future. I also wanted to keep them about a meter away from the wall on all sides. So time to expand the beds!

I started by pulling up the weed mats under the pebble paths and milling the ground to be level. This took a few hours, those weed mats were about 70% weeds now and took forever to dig out. I also started digging a furrow to mark where my new pebble bed would go.

img_1445.jpg

I also dug out the mostly buried former pavers. They were too stained to be of use for the new bed, there were a lot of them over an inch under dirt:

img_1442.jpg

img_1443.jpg

Hey, bright, shiny, new pavers for the lining! Problem is, I need them to be nice and secure and the issue with the old pavers is that, over time, they slowly sink into the soil. So I had a brilliant idea to combat this!

img_1447.jpg

I spent about an hour leveling the ground and using the old pavers to be a sort of foundation for the new pavers. This turned out to be worth the time!

img_1451.jpg

30 bags of gravel, four trips to Home Depot in my tiny compact car for the gravel, wheelbarrow, and pavers, a pair of destroyed hands, and sorness about everywhere later, the beds are done! And they are lovely.

Under all that is a pretty heavy dosing of Roundup which should kill anything left under there after my initial weeding and keep the weeds out for about 2-4 months. Long and short, I think this was a total success.

img_1452.jpg

You're next, rest of the Encmire! Look upon progress, and despair!
    MY SLOW, INEXORABLE MARCH OF CONQUEST CANNOT BE DENIED.

Enc, I admire your resolute and humorous demeanor. However, and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, what are you going to do the next time a hurricane come through? Florida wants to be a swamp, and global climate change is only going empower that swampification. I sincerely do not want to dissuade you from doing something you clearly derive pride from, but I would feel remiss not to mention this.

Oh, wow. You know, I never thought about it! You're right! I should just pack up my life, that I have lived in this 30 mile area of swampland for three decades, that my family has lived in for four generations, and just find somewhere else to start over. You know, that's just such a simple and obvious trick, I can't believe I never thought about it before.

Dang. Well I guess thread over everybody!

Enc on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    The non-sarcastic as fuck answer here is rebuild, again. I mean, fuck it Nobeard. What the hell kind of question is that?

As far as living in a swamp, I live on high ground, well above the 100 year flood line, on what is called a Hammock, as does the majority of my town. Flooding hasn't been a problem at all in this thread, and it likely won't be for 200+ years when the entire state is underwater. My property is about 120 feet above sea level, so whoever inherits my great granchildren's property will likely be using it for scuba rentals at some point, but the Battle of the Encmire rages in the present. My problem came from a generational oak tree, which survived through Charley, Ivan, Fran, and a number of other hurricanes and storms but just was hit in the exact wrong direction of wind from Irma to keep standing. Now that the tree is gone, honestly I probably have less storm problems to deal with moving forward (at least until whatever I plant in its place gains 40 years of growth and looms over the house again).

As the final bit on this side-plot, this whole philosophy comes from the sneering, disgusting 'Florida Man' tropes people have about those who reside in the land of Flowers and Dragons. Don't presume to know what it means to live here. Its a beautiful and ugly place filled with more life and decay than anywhere, and humans have lived here for thousands of years with and without modern technologies and have done just fine. I'll be the first to call Florida a lost cause, a hell on earth, and a mire that seeks only to kill everyone within it, but I get to call it that. Because I live here and battle with it each day. I don't need someone coming into this thread telling me that my home and way of life is somehow something I'm too dumb to understand.

This is what it means to be from Florida: http://lithub.com/the-problem-with-writing-about-florida/

Enc on
  • Options
    On the house front, I managed to get another company to drop the roof cost and do higher quality singles, dropping my discrepancy in cost by 5k! Now I just need to get Insurance to spring for 3k more for my porch and I should be operational again as far as structures go. Which is excellent news.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I see now my question was ignorant and condescending. It's stupid of me to presume I know better than you, the person actually living there. I wrongly insulted you and I apologize.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Just as a general rule, if people are posing questions about improving their living situation, and they don't mention moving as an option, that's generally because it's not an option, for whatever reason that may be.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    needs more plastic flamingos

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    WHAT IS HAPPENING

what-is-this-2.png

THERE IS WHITE STUFF ON MY HOUSE

what-is-this-1.png

WHITE STUFF ON THE GROUND

WHAT IS IT

I

DONT
    EVEN

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Just as an FYI, the entire eastern seaboard is one long contiguous swamp short of massachusetts (and further north).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Both DC and Philly used to have annual malaria outbreaks before they literally drained the swamps

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    needs more plastic flamingos

I have a plan once the battle is concluded. In the middle of my yard I want to get a concrete greco-roman pillar (about 3 feet tall) and drill into it a bronze plaque from Things Engraved memorializing the Battle for the Encmire (using classic war memorial rhetoric).

On top I will drill a single, cheap, plastic flamingo wearing a cloth sash (indicating nobility).

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    clearly your time should be spent breeding goats to evolve for salt water living so you are ready when the seaweed takes over your garden

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Both DC and Philly used to have annual malaria outbreaks before they literally drained the swamps

When they were trenching the erie canal in NY, they had tons of malaria outbreaks too (particularly around Cayuga). There were some exaggerations of how many people died from that though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    WHAT IS HAPPENING

WHAT IS IT

I

DONT
    EVEN
    Not sure if serious, but I'm pretty sure that is frost from the condensed water freezing. We've had a couple of nights with temps below freezing in the part of Florida that I live in, and I haven't actually had to run the air conditioning in over a week. It's kinda nice to have winter weather where shorts and short-sleeved shirts aren't appropriate attire :)

Of course, it takes a bit for the stuff to melt off your windshield unless you wanna sit in your vehicle and keep the throttle depressed so that's kinda annoying.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    WHAT IS FREE-ZING

IS IT A WITCH CURSE

DID WE OFFEND THE GODS

Enc on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    WHAT IS FREE-ZING

IS IT A WITCH CURSE

DID WE OFFEND THE GODS

I should expect so.
    I mean, after you've undone so much of their labor while restoring your yard you should have expected the local weather deities to be at least a little miffed.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    WHAT IS FREE-ZING

IS IT A WITCH CURSE

DID WE OFFEND THE GODS

I should expect so.
    I mean, after you've undone so much of their labor while restoring your yard you should have expected the local weather deities to be at least a little miffed.

Whelp, time to take reasonable precautions. I guess I'll need to add a basement.

encmirelogo.png

Enc on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    WHAT IS FREE-ZING

IS IT A WITCH CURSE

DID WE OFFEND THE GODS

I should expect so.

Whelp, time to take reasonable precautions. I guess I'll need to add a basement.

encmirelogo.png

in florida? didn't we just argue that your house will be swallowed by the sea

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    WHAT IS FREE-ZING

IS IT A WITCH CURSE

DID WE OFFEND THE GODS

The gods of winter have grown impatient with your lack of piety, and grown jealous of your offers to the earth and sea.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    To be fair to the Winter Gods, if they came about more than once a decade they probably would get more offerings.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I believe there was an instructional video on the subject, let me see if I can find it...

Yup, here it is:

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    To be fair to the Winter Gods, if they came about more than once a decade they probably would get more offerings.

They shattered my 20 year old, ancestral ice scraper when they last came to call. The message was clear:
    Such divine instruments do not belong in the hands of an apostate, and I was now unclean in their eyes.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    WHAT IS HAPPENING

WHAT IS IT

I

DONT
    EVEN
    Not sure if serious, but I'm pretty sure that is frost from the condensed water freezing. We've had a couple of nights with temps below freezing in the part of Florida that I live in, and I haven't actually had to run the air conditioning in over a week. It's kinda nice to have winter weather where shorts and short-sleeved shirts aren't appropriate attire :)

Of course, it takes a bit for the stuff to melt off your windshield unless you wanna sit in your vehicle and keep the throttle depressed so that's kinda annoying.

Using the back of a credit card as a scraper works wonders in these situations.

• Options
    After negotiation, luck, and a lot of time on phones I've been able to drop that discrepancy between cost for repairs and insurance work from 8k to 1.6k!

Huzzah! I still don't like that number, but that is much more doable in an immediate time frame.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    come on people he's in florida

all that white stuff is cocaine

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

all that white stuff is cocaine

IS THAT WHY EVERYTHING IS SO INTENSE

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

that really should just be a cover all your bases response

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    tumblr_inline_oy369iRwfp1qbycn1_500.png
    Forget it, mts. It's the Encmire.

Enc on
  • Options
    So, heard back from insurance. They will be covering the remaining funds! Structural repairs are now both scheduled and funded.

On the house front, we got the ivy mostly cleared from the fence and the damage is now easy to see and (hopefully) easy to repair. I'll try to get images of it tomorrow morning if the sun cooperates.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    HOLIDAY UPDATE:

Continuing work on the Encmire, a bunch of work has been done!

001-fence-clear.jpg

Started clearing the fences, the amount of vines was substantial... and also led to the damaged fence mostly collapsing once the vines were gone.

Clearing work has been.. substantial:

BEFORE:
    002-fence-clear.jpg

AFTER:
    010-more-clearing.jpg

This Japanese plum tree is a problem:
    006-japanese-plumb-angle.jpg
    It is currently at a 45 degree angle. It's going to have to come down (which is a shame).

Clearing has been intense, this morning I was really happy to have reached this point (around 10am):
    012-more-clearing.jpg

At which point I was told my fencing guy would be here to do the fence gate today! HUZZAH! But there was one problem:

The Death Corner:
    013-death-corner.jpg
    Filled with ancient rotting wood, broken terra cotta, and plastic garbage from 30 years ago, I had been avoiding taking care of this because it was disgusting and filled with ants. But with two hours before the fence was to go in, there was nothing to be done. It had to go.

And underneath?
    014-death-corner-after.jpg
    Pavers! Wow!

There was a lot of debries:
    015-debries.jpg
    016-debries.jpg
    For the next 24 hours, Fort Encmire returns! Junk haulers are thankfully scheduled.

My new fence gate should be up in a few hours, but the holiday break has been the greatest breakthrough for the Encmire yet. I'm really happy with all we have accomplished!

But, goddamn. I'm tired.

Enc on
  • Options
    Also: today's hydration is brought to you by the Winking Skeever

img_1506.jpg

Nothing says "I'm feeling ready for another round of work" like drinking from a cup with a giant Skyrim plague rat on it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dude I charge $40/hr for that kind of work (here in Australia), you've been absolutely killing it.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    (US$31.22/hr today)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Saving a small fortune then, given that I've probably got 60 or so hours since september dumped into this.

It's also very satisfying. Given that my hands are tied on most of my repairs while I wait for contractors to get through their queue, having something I can do to make progress is great. Also: good exercise.

Enc on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Had a chance to try some La Croix free and thought of you as I choked it down.

Anyway, is the next step replacing that fence?

• Options
    It is!

I ran into a snag in that I need the neighbor's consent in writing to remove it, and the neighbors are renters. I have a new fence gate already, but it will take a bit more for the rest.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It is!

I ran into a snag in that I need the neighbor's consent in writing to remove it, and the neighbors are renters. I have a new fence gate already, but it will take a bit more for the rest.

That fence looks to be facing you, so it may be yours to do with as you please. Definitely look into what the law says about that... You may not need to contact the owner at all, but you might also get some $$$ out of them if it's shared ownership.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    It is!

That fence looks to be facing you, so it may be yours to do with as you please. Definitely look into what the law says about that... You may not need to contact the owner at all, but you might also get some $$$ out of them if it's shared ownership.

It's their fence, that isn't the problem. I'm also liable for paying for the replacement, and my insurance has paid me to do so.

My contractor doesn't want to get sued after the fact if the owner decides to be bullshitty, which is a thing that can happen in Florida if you don't have written consent, so now I have to wait for the renters to come home from their vacation so that I can get the landlord's phone number and email and then get the fence taken care of.

Which should be a no big deal thing, since we've talked about it plenty of times since the hurricane.

• Options
    @Enc go to your county's tax website and look up the parcel # and get the owner's information... hopefully it's current.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    It is!

It's their fence, that isn't the problem. I'm also liable for paying for the replacement, and my insurance has paid me to do so.

My contractor doesn't want to get sued after the fact if the owner decides to be bullshitty, which is a thing that can happen in Florida if you don't have written consent, so now I have to wait for the renters to come home from their vacation so that I can get the landlord's phone number and email and then get the fence taken care of.

Which should be a no big deal thing, since we've talked about it plenty of times since the hurricane.

well technically you can just build your fence inside the old one. I think at one point the people who owned our house did that.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    mts wrote: »
    It is!

well technically you can just build your fence inside the old one. I think at one point the people who owned our house did that.

teeeechnically, doing so could be argued as relinquishing a few inches of property to the neighbor though. Like, they could tear down the fence and (after some years) just own that strip of land, with the property line being where you put your fence rather than where it once was.

spool32 on