As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
First thing is first:
Voice Comms

Introducing: Monster Hunter World

More updates on MH world soon to come!

What is Monster Hunter?

Welcome to the game where in the goal is to kill off these guys with some form of pointy or shooty implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZAQ9_QK5s&noredirect=1

Monster Hunter is a series about hunting little things, making weapons and armor from the bits of the little things then eventually using those weapons and armor to hunt bigger things. Repeat until the next game in the series comes out.

Old Screenshots

xW2u4XK.png
H97GkCr.png
EK02j0t.jpg
wc2pcjF.png
1e7AVC8.jpg

Game Info and Useful Stuff
Kiranico MH Generations database
Athena's Armor Set Search for all game versions.
GaijinHunter’s MHGEN weapon tutorial playlist. Seriously. Watch these for your weapon
Web Based Armor Skill Simulator for when you can't run Athena's
Handy MH Generations Monster chart.

Want to use a bow in MH Worlrd?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38919568/#Comment_38919568

Speaking of playing together. The generic PA password for rooms is

PS4 players:

PS4 Community:

Zenny Arcade: World

PS4 player form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdi-Jnmhg2p9AhYRRKGkIhcldB_-NPGRLXUWwcqp_xQQdVPPw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pWPeaIKQtsqlnO4od07FdLzkdQophfu9ibaQ6kAGvdc/htmlview#gid=626456156

For our Xbox brothers partaking in World:
Darkewolfe wrote: »

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This op needs updating. I will do so for World before release.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Ahh that fresh thread smell!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    As a primarily PC player, I've had maybe 30-45 mins total experience with the MH series. Awhile ago I bought into Dauntless thinking that was the only way I'd get to play a MH type game on PC (pre-MH on PC announcement). After 30+ hours of Dauntless I've been having a blast. So imagine my surprise when 5 mins into the PS4 beta I was so completely taken aback by everything and sadly realized how cartoon-y and "kid gloves" Dauntless is.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So is there pre-order bonuses worth it? And should I get it in the PS4 or PC?

So is there pre-order bonuses worth it? And should I get it in the PS4 or PC?

The bonus stuff is all cosmetics. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    If I recall, standard edition preorder bonus is an armor set? And maybe an emote?

Edit: standard edition bonus is the origin armor.set and a necklace with attack up and divine blessing.

Deluxe edition is that plus samurai armor, some emotes, hairstyles, and tattoos

Arch on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    And don't forget that PS4 owners get a full character conversion that turns their character into Aloy from Horizon.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    You know, I've been trying out a lot of weapons and I think I really do love the ranged weapons and will use them a lot

but mmm returning to my first loves, dual blades and the longsword, it's like coming home but there's a pile of cash in my living room. Comboing feels better than it did in the past and I love a playstyle that rewards a near constant offensive just cutting an iguanasaurus up like tender steak.

I do need to spend more time in the training area I think, I haven't even used it yet and have mostly just been trying to learn the weapons on the fly. I really want to figure out how to A. More consistently get on an enemy's back and actually hit them a lot while there and B. Do that super badass over-their-back blade spin thing I've seen people use with the dual-blades.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Only real niggle for me so far with the beta is that I wish critical hits/head hits still had their bright yellow flash/clashing impact sound cue. It all feels a lot more subdued this time around.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do we know what time of day tomorrow the beta goes offline? I didn't even know about its availability till this morning. I'll download it tonight, but I'm also busy tonight so tomorrow is my best/last chance to play. Hopefully I can still get in at like 6pm CST.

edited December 2017
    I usually pick a hand full of weapons to focus on. Usually 2 with a third that I'll start up partway through.

Lance/HH/LBG

The 26th of January needs to get here faster.

Seidkona on
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do we know what time of day tomorrow the beta goes offline? I didn't even know about its availability till this morning. I'll download it tonight, but I'm also busy tonight so tomorrow is my best/last chance to play. Hopefully I can still get in at like 6pm CST.

Beta available from Saturday, December 9 at 5 p.m. (UTC) to Tuesday, December 12 at 4:59 p.m. (UTC)!

Entaru wrote: »
    I usually pick a hand full of weapons to focus on. Usually 2 with a third that I'll start up partway through.

Lance/HH/LBG

The 26th of January needs to get here faster.

I'm about the same as you then.

Gunlance \ HGB \ ??? this time for me.

I wasn't expecting to be so into GL or HBG at all, but the immense firepower has me giddy.

• kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    The demo is very solid. I tried all of the weapons in training mode and only the Lance and dual blades I didn't care much for. I think I love the radial menu? I saw it was getting some flak but I think it's super convenient. I think there is a little more optimization needed for item use but at least you can rearrange all the spots for the items in the menu and the radial menu.

For once I'm actually really digging the GS here. Super meaty hits and the tackle is a nice quality of life change.

My biggest issue is which platform to get it on. If my RL friends have interest in it, then I have to get it on Xbox. If not, PS4 to play with the bigger player base.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My biggest problem is that there are secret combos, which is only because I'm completely new. Give me a full combo list. Well, unless I missed it somewhere.

Like the long sword--in training I was able to get a combo to end in a helm splitter where you run up the enemy and them do a big downward combo slash. I couldn't figure out how to do it regularly though. While typing this I remembered you guys are used to having to look stuff up on the reg though for this series, so I just did and quickly found a video.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I definitely had the most fun with the long sword and gunlance. The projectile weapons didn't capture me at all, though I can see their use. Oh, and I dig the warhorn and will probably use that on the reg.

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    I smell burnt steak.... oh wait, just a new thread.
    Enjoying the Beta greatly, Jan 26 can't come soon enough!

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    After trying all the weapons here are my thoughts:

Sword n' board: Nothing too revolutionary. Using the slinger while weapons drawn is nice, for sure, but otherwise, no big selling point for me. I did main this in Generations though, since I had made myself a 100% crit armor set. Are oils still in?
    Long Sword: I was never into long sword. Not precise enough, too dependent on "setting up" your focus bar for real damage. Gets repetitive to me. Hard to aim for specific monster parts. Pain in the ass in multiplay.
    Great Sword: former main. Nothing like getting that perfect charged hit on the head. New Super-Charge took some getting used to. Charged flip hit on Third Super does INSANE damage, but getting to pull it off on a moving target would be terribly difficult. It is possible to distance yourself in a way that you can hit a sleeping monster with ONLY the post-flip hit, but your spacing has to be impeccable. However, if you pull it off, you're doing more damage than 4 large barrel bombs.
    Dual-Sword: never my cup of tea. I know some love it, but I just never felt it was very satisfying. Opinion unchanged on that front.
    Lance: Always a go-to for me. New mobility options are a huge plus! However, I always flub the timing on the charged guard, which makes it a liability for me. I'd use it more if I didn't suck so much at it. That's not a knock on the weapon, it's a knock on me.
    GunLance: WHEEEE!!! I already had a soft spot for the gunlance but never really could justify maining it because its blasts are such a pain for others in multiplayer, but the new options are just too great to pass up this time around. The new Wyvern Stake is GREAT and I feel like the sound design on the shelling has improved making it much more visceral than before (or maybe that's because I'm playing on a proper sound system and not a dinky DS speaker, who knows). In any case, this might be my main this time around.
    Switch Axe: Comparable to the long sword in that it is mainly focused on charging up your sword form in order to do "real" damage. That being said the latch-on element blast in sword mode is pretty freaking great, which places it above long sword for me when all you want to do is charge in and slash at a beast.
    Charge Blade: I know how awesome a charge blade can be in the hands of an astute player, but I find it to be too "fiddly" in setting up all your charges properly. I feel I'm babysitting my weapon all the time and it's distracting, taking me out of the hunt.
    Hammer: Hammer is my favorite weapon when I feel like taking out some stress on a monster, and I feel World has made that even better. The new O combo is great at that: "Take that! And that! and a little bit of THIS!" Not main material for me, but I still like to go to it every now and again when I want a change of pace.
    Hunting Horn: Hunting Horn is the weapon I always tell myself I'm going to learn, and World has buffed it considerably. I don't see myself soloing with it though. If I get to play online a lot, I might be motivated enough to start taking horn seriously, but I might be a little too selfish for that. We'll see.
    Insect Glaive: Never was a fan. Mounting is fun, but takes more time now it seems. Like with charge blade, I don't really care for having to babysit meters while on a hunt. Also, the acrobatic style feels too "floaty" for me, making it feel like I'm not really having an impact on the monster. (Compare Great Sword and GunLance, which have a chunky, impactful feel to them). Not my cup of tea.
    Bow: hugely improved from previous iterations. Very satisfying, I feel bow is one of those weapons that people who have played other games with bow gameplay might be able to pick up and get used to pretty quick. Feels intuitive and straightforward, which is good. Nice, decent, constant damage. Feels good, man.
    Light Bowgun: Not a huge gunner here. However, World has done much to make gunning a more attractive option. That being said, I don't care much for the LBG's "Mine laying" move. If I'm gonna gun, Imma heavy gun.
    Heavy gun: Best experience gunning in Monster Hunter ever! I don't know that I would ever play this solo, as I feel I would get too frustrated, but I can definitely see myself laying down some fire while other players distract a monster. Sniping and Machine Gunning are both super satisfying. I think I give the edge to machine gunning for the "Rambo" feeling it gives, but pulling off a perfect sniper shot getting those big numbers is very satisfying too. If Gunlance wasn't so fun, I'd be seriously considering running as a Gunner main. Heck, I may still!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I had a roommate who was big into MH and I remember him just wailing on a monster's head with a mace.

Is that how it works? Because I like a straightforward approach like that.

3clipse wrote: »
    I had a roommate who was big into MH and I remember him just wailing on a monster's head with a mace.

Hammer is very much about positioning to hit the head, yeah.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Hammer is very much about positioning to hit the head, yeah.

I was worried about how much more finesse-intensive the combat looks compared to Soulsborne games, but this, this I can do.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    My biggest problem is that there are secret combos, which is only because I'm completely new. Give me a full combo list. Well, unless I missed it somewhere.

Like the long sword--in training I was able to get a combo to end in a helm splitter where you run up the enemy and them do a big downward combo slash. I couldn't figure out how to do it regularly though. While typing this I remembered you guys are used to having to look stuff up on the reg though for this series, so I just did and quickly found a video.

In training look at the top right. It tells you every possible follow up to your current attack.

You are looking for spirit attack into spirit thrust into helm splitter.

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    I'm kind of irritated that I like it so much. This wait is going to be horrible. Especially for PC which I plan on double-dipping for.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    None of that fancy-schmancy kick-flip 360 noscope techning malarkey for this fella. Just give me a long stick with something hard and heavy on the end and point me to some skulls.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    To help pass the time I'm going to be playing the 3DS monhun games a bunch. I've got some village quests to finish up but also would love to hunt online. If any of you are going to do the same, hit me up!

Qanamil wrote: »

Yeah, they definitely don't tell you everything. I mean, I used bow almost exclusively in Generations, so I was able to figure out a lot of stuff....I was kind of live posting my findings at the end of the last thread. I spent about three hours in the tutorial with just the bow, figuring out combos and damage values and stuff.

I can see how that would be nearly impossible new though. I certainly couldn't have done it with any other weapon, aside from insect glaive, which I mained in 4U.

edited December 2017
    Like, for instance, they don't tell you that you can combo quick shot into power shot into arc shot with the bow (but unless there are better arc shots or you really want to status a monster, why would you?)

They also don't tell you that each successive dodge into charge ups the charge level, so double dodging is the fastest way to get to level 2 bow charge, even if it eats a ton of stamina.

And they also don't tell you that your dragon piercers do more damage if you fire them after a charge, dependent on the level of charge.

So the best damage you can do is either charge to rank 1, fire, combo into charge rank 2, PowerShot, dragonpiercer...but that's if you have a huge opening

More likely you'll dodge twice and fire a charge rank 2 combo into PowerShot....or if you're brave/stupid/great at positioning.....double dash into dragonpiercer

I played around on great jagras and killed him in 4 minutes just double dashing into dragonpiercers

Arch on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Is this jokes? Japan-exclusive bundle of Doublecross and the 1.2-version of Stories is coming this week?

UDxumx7.gif

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    @Casually Hardcore So to continue from the previous thread regarding weapon movesets. This is from MHGen but this will give you an idea of how complicated they can be. And in MHGen, there are 4 styles (6 in MHXX) per weapon, each with their own modified moveset. Here were the "basic" ones for Great Sword and Charge Axe

Spoiler for kinda large
    10118_1.jpg

11236_1.jpg

To see more click the weapon types on the sidebar at http://game.capcom.com/manual/MH_Gen/en/page-91.html

There's a few more moves in MHW though.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Time to celebrate new thread with dancing Jho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWedQVMX94

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I dont have PS+ on my ps4, so I didnt get to play the beta. Guess ill just wait for more word on the pc release....

who the fuck am I kidding, im trying to find my CPP for my 3ds so I can play Monhun again.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Just make a new account and sign up for the trial. Then you can play on your main account (single player) to unlock all the stuff for the full game, or play on the new account if you wanna do multiplayer.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Something I haven't seen mentioned but I find a very welcome change: Palicos are much much quieter this time around, there is no constant meowing, shaking and running noises from them. Thank God.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Switch axe in particular feels nice in world. I think I may be maining that.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen mentioned but I find a very welcome change: Palicos are much much quieter this time around, there is no constant meowing, shaking and running noises from them. Thank God.

Aww, I kind of miss it but it's not a big deal.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

In a way they were too quiet I agree, but the fact that there wasn't a single quiet moment with them around really was grating, specially if you've owned cats, as the Palicos sound like cats in distress.

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

In a way they were too quiet I agree, but the fact that there wasn't a single quiet moment with them around really was grating, specially if you've owned cats, as the Palicos sound like cats in distress.

I'm all for the old sound effects, but the Palicos can be one that can just go away. If they had to stay, they need an option to silence them. You think it's bad if you own cats? Try owning cats and dogs. Dogs that hear everything... I grew to hate that awful distressed cat cry soooo much.

But I hate how muted the roars seem this time around

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So apparently Free DLC monsters will be down the road. According to Ryozo Tsujimoto.

"We want people to play for a long time."

Yay!

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    from previous thread
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Oh, so that is how you greatsword
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM

Are there i-frames on the GS shoulder tackle? It seemed like the player was tackling into attacks and not getting hit/stunned by them.

shoulder bash has hyper armor. you can use it against roars too

J3qcnBP.png