As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Oh man I only just noticed that's for the beard! I thought that was a ponytail for the back of the mohawk.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere, but getting multiple opinions is good!

So I went and bought myself a mini cause of course I'm going to become obsessed with tabletop gaming in its entirety. My main question is going to be whether it looks like I should pin one of the two things on a sprue or not.

I thankfully found a picture of the mini unpackaged, so as you'll see in the image below it's mostly just the axe/hand and mohawk that aren't already part of the mini. For someone who is 100% new to this stuff, should I still try to set up a pin on this or just glue it? I know I need to get some shears but just figured I ought to ask as doing the pinning will also require a pin/jeweler vise whereas I think I've got some small pliers shears around. This is mainly for D&D purposes, and I don't expect to attempt to paint it for a good long while.

s-l1600.jpg

And this is what he's meant to look like once complete, though I may forego using the mohawk.

AVAT1.jpg

You should be good to just glue it, pins are usually just on heavy joins, and/or thin arms etc. Like a cannon on a thin hydraulic arm.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    From my understanding it's rather simple to use a debonder to get rid of the superglue and start over, so maybe getting it on there and if it comes off I pin it? Now if I decide I want to try painting him, I'll definitely pin it on cause I'd rather that not come off after painting.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I have now completed my three librarians. I think I finally like painting blue.

t5Y71eH.jpg

So what you're saying is you're about to start your blue period?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Oh hay.

Proper tyrant like.

mt1pio871hpe.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Oh hay.

Proper tyrant like.

mt1pio871hpe.jpg

Can you describe or show how you did it?

• Options
    Hacked the top and back off a Carnifex head;
    Added a Neurothrope crest;
    Chopped up and added part of the flying Tyrant tail as an impromptu neck;
    Used green stuff to sculpt the area between the jaw and neck;
    Green stuff'd any remaining gaps.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

t5Y71eH.jpg

Not in the least. It's better than painting red, but I prefer yellow.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I don't care what everyone else is saying about that dwarf arm, I would 100% pin it.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

t5Y71eH.jpg

Nah, he's saying he likes swearing a lot when painting.

• Options
    I certainly swore a lot on that terminator Libby. He's cursed, I tells ya.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I know the Warhammer TV video tutorials are designed for all skill levels but Jesus, this Peachy guy is absurdly slapdash and has a throbbing hardon for drybrushing.

Yes I'm being petty.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I like that you’ve got two types of painting styles on their channel now. Carefully methodical, and WILDCARD.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I want to give Peachy a chance, but every time I see him I think he kinda looks like a toned down Shrek, and he doesn't have Duncan's charisma or thoroughness.

Could just be a shaky start though, give him some time and we'll see if he does well. It has to be incredibly nerve wracking to be the guy who not only is going to be filmed and broadcast to insufferable neckbeards all over the world, but to have to go through comparisons to Lord Duncan. Luckily he's got a goofy charm to him and both of them are lightyears ahead of my painting skill so I can learn from a WarhammerTV video no matter who is hosting it.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Working on some mixed Aelves for a Skirmish warband. Mostly Dark Elves but i'll have some wood elf archers in there because i love me some elf plus bow action
    DQbnNuzUQAAmafh.jpg
    DQbnNuyU8AASnMV.jpg
    DQbnNuxUEAA2auI.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That wood elf-dark elf conversion works really well.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Ah, the ol’ Gorilla Hands Dark Elves

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I like that you’ve got two types of painting styles on their channel now. Carefully methodical, and WILDCARD.

There was a lady on there a while back, and she was kind of right in the middle- not freakishly good at painting, but definitely better than Shrek. Also, right-handed, unobtrusive hand posture, and a very pleasant voice, which is part of Duncan's charm.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I'm getting good results with liquid greenstuff
    Kneel wrote: »
    I know the Warhammer TV video tutorials are designed for all skill levels but Jesus, this Peachy guy is absurdly slapdash and has a throbbing hardon for drybrushing.

Yes I'm being petty.

Yeah I feel childish going its not the same! But yeah I agree.

On filling in 3d gaps, I've had luck with watering down liquid green stuff, but thats only because I already had it around, I wont buy another pot of it. Still experimenting with different stuff to do gap fills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »

There was a lady on there a while back, and she was kind of right in the middle- not freakishly good at painting, but definitely better than Shrek. Also, right-handed, unobtrusive hand posture, and a very pleasant voice, which is part of Duncan's charm.

She was in the first video I watched after I got the "three pack of pushfit Space Marines with a brush and some paints" kit. I forget her name, but she does commissions and paints minis on Twitch now.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Yeah, this new guy's OK but he can't hold a candle to the Duncanbot.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Ah, the ol’ Gorilla Hands Dark Elves

Yup! lol
    I painted the hands dark grey to hopefully make it look more like their ham hands are just padded gloves or something.
    Aside from the hands the kit is pretty good considering how old it is, which is good as i have loads of these guys laying around.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm working on the Mk. III marines i bought from @TraceofToxin . And I'm going to paint an older Sternguard vet model as a lieutenant.

86vVino.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    She was in the first video I watched after I got the "three pack of pushfit Space Marines with a brush and some paints" kit. I forget her name, but she does commissions and paints minis on Twitch now.

That's Em. Twitch, Twitter

• Options
    Tanks sold with a minimum of haggling, happy days.

I'll have to look into doing specific commissions next time I'm in a financial pickle.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone got any suggestions on youtube instructional painting videos that don't get too far into the weeds? Some of the ones I've looked at so far have hundreds of colors and inks and washes already and it's a little daunting.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions on youtube instructional painting videos that don't get too far into the weeds? Some of the ones I've looked at so far have hundreds of colors and inks and washes already and it's a little daunting.

The Warhammer TV painting & modelling tutorials are your friend.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I'm still fairly new to this, but I've found https://www.youtube.com/user/SDubist/videos to be rather helpful and to the point.

• Options
    I like this guy too. He's using pretty basic techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD90kbrLa_k

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hey those are really good, thank you guys.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Speaking of painting.

Priming. So... Currently it's cold as shit outside, any primers which work fine just being painted on instead?

• Options
    Speaking of painting.

Priming. So... Currently it's cold as shit outside, any primers which work fine just being painted on instead?

Vallejo Surface Primer. It's awesome.

• Options
    Awesome. I'm gonna hold off on priming my dorf but I wanna get him pinned, and put on the base and then once I can find some bits I'ma get him a good proper bear pelt. I found this when searching and one of those would be perfect even if it's a "wolf" pelt. https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/shop.pl?cat1=pelt&cat2=&cat3=&cat4=&page=&view=10142014-1-43

• Options
    So I ended up buying more diorama bits including Primaris Blood Angels, Skitarii and Necromunda bulkhead doors. The plan was to have a Tervigon tearing through the doors to deliver a swarm of Termagants, but upon digging out the Tervigon (an excess model gifted by a friend) I've discovered it is caked in superglue and several pieces are missing.

... anyway, while I wait for a replacement model, I managed to sufficiently fuck up the bulkhead doors so as to represent a big-ass beast busting in:

jhznirx8l3gc.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Speaking of painting.

Any special paintbrush tips? Will painting the primer ruin the brush, that sort of thing?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Speaking of painting.

Any special paintbrush tips? Will painting the primer ruin the brush, that sort of thing?

Not if you clean it thoroughly. Just thin it a little as with any paint.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Having a separate brush for priming wouldn't be a bad idea in the end, anyway.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Having a separate brush for priming wouldn't be a bad idea in the end, anyway.

Yeah, the paint won’t ruin the brush, but the act of brushing primer into every last nook and cranny as fast as possible, in a way you wouldn’t normally do when painting detail, can quickly do so.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'm working on the Mk. III marines i bought from @TraceofToxin . And I'm going to paint an older Sternguard vet model as a lieutenant.

86vVino.jpg

How many layers of Yriel Yellow did it take you to get it looking that smooth? I'm still finding that no matter how many coats I apply it looks kind of grainy, even over Averland Sunset with a white primer. Maybe I'm just not thinning it down enough? I've tried the wash over white method of painting yellow too but I'm not a big fan of that way, I'd rather use actual colours if I can get it to look halfway decent.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    I prime white, then airbrush Averland Sunset over that. Then I wash everything over with a coat of Nuln Oil. The airbrush part is usually pretty smooth, and the wash tends to make it almost slick.

After the wash, I go back over it with a brush of Averland Sunset, then a quick brush of Yriel to make it look less mustard yellow. Then I paint in all the details.

I credit 5he airbrush with it being so smooth. Before I bought it, I had the hardest time. It doesn't always work. This last time, I thinkninthinned my paint too much, or maybe didn't get a good enough coat, because it's not as smooth and the wash seemed to soak in.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.