As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Monday, December 11, 2017 - Feeling

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Monday, December 11, 2017 - Feeling

Feeling

Feeling

http://campcomic.com/comic/488

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    It's just been raining on my face. And if you think you see some tear tracks down my cheeks. Please (please ) don't tell my mates. I'm not crying. No, I'm not crying. And if I am crying. It's not cuz of you.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    @briguy Hmm? You say something? *chopping all the onions*

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    /the feels.

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    A painful feeling.

• RoaringRavenRoaringRaven Registered User regular
    So much said with Mal's second line in this strip. Linus telling Malachi that he has helped him work up the courage to leave, and Malachi in turn thinking "So I did this? He'll stay if I don't encourage him?"

And Linus understanding exactly the meaning behind what Mal says.

• TheOneThatGotAwayTheOneThatGotAway Registered User regular
    Is this why there are barely any adolescents at the Camp? At some point they just... want to find out what's out there and they'll overcome their fear of the deep dark woods.

Come to think of it, how old is Proto Kid?

• Joe EnglandJoe England Registered User regular
    Okay, is this going to one of those deals where it turns out that the whole place is actually a metaphysical purgatory representing a transitional stage between life and death, and the characters are overcoming personal obstacles which keep them from moving on? Are the kids in camp actually spirits yet to be born, or kids who died young, or what-have-you? Then again, why am I even asking? I mean, if I'm right it's not like I'll get confirmation. That would spoil the mystery. Anyway, I think it's still more likely to be a Maze Runner sort of thing.

• HasudesuHasudesu Registered User regular
    Omg I love this

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Okay, is this going to one of those deals where it turns out that the whole place is actually a metaphysical purgatory representing a transitional stage between life and death, and the characters are overcoming personal obstacles which keep them from moving on? Are the kids in camp actually spirits yet to be born, or kids who died young, or what-have-you? Then again, why am I even asking? I mean, if I'm right it's not like I'll get confirmation. That would spoil the mystery. Anyway, I think it's still more likely to be a Maze Runner sort of thing.

If you like this, let me tell you the good news about Pyre...

Well, if Linus does venture out in to the world, he can eventually rescue the others. I mean, in a few years, he'd legally be an adult (let's assume Linus is at the youngest 13 and at the oldest 15 or 16, that's still only 5-2 years until legal adulthood) and he could then adopt Malachi. Or they could be fostered in the same home and be brothers.
    My poor fictional children can't be broken apart forever!

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    The way the comedy undercuts the sweetness and then back and forth again is amazing writing.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Well, it appears the comment I posted on the previous comic pretty much sums it up: Linus. You are so great. Period.

• skorpeyonskorpeyon Registered User regular
    The thing that interests me the most is Linus leaving on his birthday, and his comment that he feels he needs to move on. I don't know that it's just about overcoming personal issues so much as perhaps an age thing? Or maybe a combination? It all occurring at the same time does make it a bit difficult to suss out what's going on.

• BrobBrob Registered User regular
    Does Malachi now move into the library and start to grow faint beard stubble?

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    The pretense goes away. The illusions vanish as if they never were. And here is where we realize Linus has already left Camp Weedonwantcha behind him. Whatever else is to come.

• v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    So, will it now be Malachi's job to maintain the library?

• AraragiKyonAraragiKyon Registered User regular
    I think I get it now (er, or it's just a theory): Camp Weedonwantcha is a metaphor for the few first years of post-adolescence. You are thrown into a system that expects you to be an adult, even though you were a kid just the day before, so to say.

As much as parents and society tried to teach you, there's really no 'learning' how to be an adult, other than by trying to be it and in the meantime, there are still several childhood and adolescent traits that are painfully present: lack of confidence, self-loathing, seeking personal validation on group acceptance, irresponsible carefreeness, etc.

Then, as you are forced to behave as an adult, be your own person, care for yourself and others and realise which things that you believed were naive, unnecessary or plain untrue, all of a sudden you are an adult, ready to step away from the childhood that you didn't notice you were clinging to so fiercely.

• AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    Nicely done. Again.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    @AraragiKyon. In the end, that is what this webcomic has become. A journey about youth and transition and hardships. But I believe that is not how this story started. It just started with plain fun and jest. The Deepness and the "/feels" came later. Layer after layer (like an union, but without the ogre)

I really really like what it has become. It keeps getting better and better. The art, the story and the deeper layers.

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Even if he makes it out there, how could he really rescue the others? It'll be rough to make it on his own with a limited education. This camp is set up to discard kids. Its possible the government does know about the camp and is allowing it to happen. We can't assume this world runs by the same rules as our own.

poipoigirl on
  • LazySusanneLazySusanne Registered User new member
    The thing that gets me is "why do you have to leave at all". This camp is a nightmare hellscape, but Malachi never even thought about leaving? Why don't more kids leave?

I have so many questions and the chances I'm going to get answers are so, so slim.

• RegdrenRegdren Registered User new member
    The camp might be a nightmare hellscape, but from the stories we've seen it still might be better than life at home. Not just for Malachi but for a lot of these kids.

Also, some might have this idea in their heads that life outside the camp would be just like life at their old homes, regardless of where they actually end up. Whatever you grow up with as a kid tends to be what you consider "normal" regardless of evidence to the contrary.

• Jonah BainJonah Bain Registered User new member
    But what about the road that the parents used to drop them off?????

• HyzeHyze Registered User regular
    I hope this isn't an Angel Beats situation.

• MIJackelMIJackel Registered User regular
    For those wondering why the campers don't leave. Why did you stay at school? As a child we are a trained sheep, and if our parent dropped us off somewhere or put us on a bus We trusted that they would pick us up. Mal's Mom dropped him off at a summer camp.... what two haircuts ago? I think the first year of comics was only two maybe three weeks. This is obviously in a climate that would have all four seasons. Have we seen a Fall, Winter, or Spring? They are are still hoping that the parental unit will return and they will go back home.

Telling that Linus takes Malachi's unintended insult about not being great, lets it slide off him, and perceives the real emotion Malachi is experiencing. Resiliency is also an adult trait. And so Linus shows he's ready to move on.

poipoigirl wrote: »
    Even if he makes it out there, how could he really rescue the others? It'll be rough to make it on his own with a limited education. This camp is set up to discard kids. Its possible the government does know about the camp and is allowing it to happen. We can't assume this world runs by the same rules as our own.

Presumably the world is different enough, all of the guardians of the kids knew of the camp’s location despite different social and economic disparities. Presumably the “supply drops” are just garbage dumps given what they usually contain so others are aware.
    Assuming the camp is a physical place and not a metaphysical metaphor.
    And the world can’t exactly be 1:1 because Malachi and presumably his mom have natural blue hair.
    But the camp could also be a conspiracy. Maybe if you know the right people you get tipped off and the public at large isn’t aware. There is a remarkably small number of abandoned children and there are things like underground adoption rings in the actual world.
    Linus is pretty smart, if he survives his escape, and finds an adult or even other kids to tell his story to, he could lead them back to camp and rescue the others.
    Despite their quirks, there may be people, even a world with Camp W, that would care for them.

It's amazing to what degree adults have absolutely no concept of how easy it is to lose children. Dumping's only the most obvious way. The world is a graveyard of children who were left behind, pushed aside, left to wander, or whose families just vanished in the night. Forget you had a kid, and the world doesn't care. The sun shines just as brightly, the rain still falls, the woodlands still murmur in immemorial dreaming. Soon no one remembers that no one cares.