As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Drumroll

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Drumroll

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Jacob SingerJacob Singer Registered User regular
    Poor Geoff...

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't get it, but I feel like the card should've said "Hideo Kojima"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't get it, but I feel like the card should've said "Hideo Kojima"

I'm guessing Mike & Jerry felt Cuphead snubbed something they thought should win in a category it didn't belong.

If I was doing it, it would probably have been Overwatch.

Best Ongoing Game? It's been out for less than two years! Warframe should have gotten it. And Destiny 2 was nominated? WTF.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Other way around I think. Cuphead wasn’t even on the list.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The joke is the absurdity of Geoff losing a category that should only possibly have him in the pool (and the desperation in him running that category at all). It could've been Night In The Woods on the paper, and the joke would be the same.

Enlong on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I imagine, with the love they have for Pyre, it was Pyre getting beated by Cuphead for best indie game. Since Cuphead ALSO won best debut indie game.

Like when La La Land won best song and best soundtrack...

Oh brilliant
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The joke is that the category is extremely specific to Geoff Keighley but Cuphead still won. It's not a Cuphead specific joke.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Cuphead is not the joke because Cuphead really is the best Geoff Keighley.

• Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    This strip was a bit of a miss.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Man when the world shows that you can’t even be the best version of YOURSELF. I need cute elephant gifs

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I like this strip because despite not liking the Game Awards, I find Geoff Keighley to be a rare genuine and passionate host. He seems like someone I'd want to meet in real life. And Tycho's newspost implies that mainly it's about how self-conscious one can get having to host big events. Especially given how hard people (myself included) can be on cheesy "no really, gaming is a real thing" type TV events, I have to have some sympathy for Geoff, and kudos to him for staying upbeat and enthusiastic.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The strips are getting very obtuse of late. I am sure the news post will clarify, but I can't tell if it's upset that Cuphead won or lost a category, or just a comment/criticism about Doritos Geoff.

Edit: Apparently not a comment towards Geoff, but I'm just not getting what the joke is supposed to actually be as the news post does not elaborate on the darkness.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I explained the joke up there ^ ^ ^

It isn't a context joke, it's just a gag.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Oh, when they did they change? I thought they still used jpegs.

MichaelLC wrote: »

Oh, when they did they change? I thought they still used jpegs.

Whats the context of this joke? Is it about man’s inhumanity to man?

• btown_mcbtown_mc Registered User new member
    I know that it wasn't supposed to be a slight against Geoff, but its hard not to take it that way. I really like what Geoff is trying to do with The Game Awards and I hope they keep doing it

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why people think they should always get every comic by a videogame website. There's SO MUCH out there about videogames now. It's not like back in the day when as long as you played Nintendo AND Sega you covered most of the field (PC gaming didn't exist until the launch of Steam in 2013). 90%+ of the time when I don't get one, just throwing together a couple of lazy google searches clears it up. That last 10% of the time I just read about it in the newspost.

The only knowledge required to get this joke is that there’s a game called Cuphead, which I think could probably be gleaned from context. I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad but I’m genuinely befuddled that so many people don’t get it. I think maybe they’re looking for a more complex joke that isn’t there.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The only knowledge required to get this joke is that there’s a game called Cuphead, which I think could probably be gleaned from context. I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad but I’m genuinely befuddled that so many people don’t get it. I think maybe they’re looking for a more complex joke that isn’t there.

That's definitely my case. Especially recent comments having a go at the traditional game press and the fact I didn't bother watching the awards in question, so I was unsure if there was some kind of meta point being made.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.

In my case, I wasn't looking for a "complex" joke. I just head no idea who Geoff (had to scroll up because I still don't remember) Keighley is, combined that I don't follow game awards so I had no idea if Cuphead did an Titantic-like sweep of every award, or if it didn't win hardly any. The former would mean that even Cuphead was better at being a Geoff Keighley, because it was good at everything. The latter would mean that Geoff Keighley did such a bad job, that even Cuphead did a better one.

In reality, it seems to be neither, as Cuphead didn't really sweep anything, and PA liked Geoff Keighley. I think the thing that confused people is that there may not be that much of a joke there. From the newspost, it doesn't really seem to be a jokey-joke, at least.

Which, as I've said, is fine. I don't have to "get" every strip. They'll be a fresh jpeg two days from now.

I think the Death Stranding trailer has made everyone super sensitive to any hidden meaning

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I think the jacket represents stem cell research

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    dennis wrote: »

In my case, I wasn't looking for a "complex" joke. I just head no idea who Geoff (had to scroll up because I still don't remember) Keighley is, combined that I don't follow game awards so I had no idea if Cuphead did an Titantic-like sweep of every award, or if it didn't win hardly any. The former would mean that even Cuphead was better at being a Geoff Keighley, because it was good at everything. The latter would mean that Geoff Keighley did such a bad job, that even Cuphead did a better one.

In reality, it seems to be neither, as Cuphead didn't really sweep anything, and PA liked Geoff Keighley. I think the thing that confused people is that there may not be that much of a joke there. From the newspost, it doesn't really seem to be a jokey-joke, at least.

Which, as I've said, is fine. I don't have to "get" every strip. They'll be a fresh jpeg two days from now.

The joke is the absurdity of giving the award to for Best Geoff Keighley to Cuphead

dennis wrote: »

The joke is the absurdity of giving the award to for Best Geoff Keighley to Cuphead

Right, I know, it's been explained multiple times before.

You said "I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad but I’m genuinely befuddled that so many people don’t get it." So I was explaining why I don't "get" it. Understanding what someone was trying for in a joke isn't really the same as "getting" it, in my opinion. I think here I don't really get it because it sounds like you could replace Geoff with any other host and Cuphead with any other game. At that point, I'm just not sure where the joke is.

I say that hoping that it's clear I'm talking subjectively, as all humor is such.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

That's definitely my case. Especially recent comments having a go at the traditional game press and the fact I didn't bother watching the awards in question, so I was unsure if there was some kind of meta point being made.

yeah I didn't get it until the first explanation and then I smiled

sig.gif
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I mean, I was specifically thinking back to the comic where "The award for Best Penny Arcade goes to Penny Arcade", and I wondered if there was some layer to this one that I wasn't getting, aside from the outward absurdity of Cuphead showing up. Was Cuphead some backstabbing monster that weaseled its way in? Was Geoff so enamored with it that even when making an award for himself, he still gave it to Cuphead? Was he personally involved in the making of Cuphead? Was Cuphead winning everything that night, to the extent that it even wins other awards designed for something particular to win? etc.

Basically I had a notion of one possible punchline, but I found myself thinking I was missing the context for the multitude of other possible punchlines that were executed and resolved the same way.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    Cuphead is on my list of favourite games hehe.