As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Cars are cool. Cars are fun. There are many a show about them, but one that took the world by storm, with amazing camerawork, likable hosts, and a increasing penchant for pissing people off. It was glorious.

W7BwPMK.jpg

AERCxfv.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gfHpqzZGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw

But lo, times change, and what was once one show, is now two.

You've got The Grand Tour, hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond, which airs on Amazon Prime Video:

QPYiLSI.jpg

And the current incarnation of BBC's Top Gear, hosted by Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, and Rory Reed, as well as retaining parental custody of The Stig. Everyone's favorite german girl Sabine Schmitz shows up from time to time too:

Ey0nyKQ.png

......plus some various country versions of the show that no one really cares for. Oh yeah, Fifth Gear is a decent show too.

So let this be a thread where we talk about the show, the host's other endeavors, the best place to get your teeth whitened, and just how important chemistry is to making a show work.

TexiKen on

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Good pep talk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3OEtJei3s

...I mean what could possibly go wrong?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Watching the new premier of TGT it's so much better as they just copy Top Gear because fuck them, they wanna start something bring it, they're the fathers to that style of show. It's still absolutely beautiful and the best 4K experience bar none (I don't think it was up for any Emmy's last year on the technical side which was bullshit), the celebrity thing was better than it has been on New Top Gear, and I'm really surprised they showed Hammond's crash, it was interesting that it happened after he got his lap time. Which just makes them keeping the other two ribbing him constantly right before the crash in the show, good on them.

The only fault is the lack of real music. The Who was used in the beginning, and that was it. I had a feeling they wanted Zeppelin for the hill climb (Immigrant Song mainly) but never got it.

And James looks weird with the short hair (and skinny jeans). It's what he had when joined the show in season 2 on the previous series but his face is chubbier and looked like he actually exfoliated or something; it didn't have the red blisters of Clarkson's "dehydrated" face and I kept wondering if he's trying to copy Stephen Fry's style.

All in all, glad to have it back.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think the thread title should be: the best tv show, pause, in the world.

• Options
    Alternatively: the future is a car crash that just won't stop burning.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Three competing ideas for a thread title? How could we possibly resolve this?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I really liked this episode, though I thought they were going to spend a lot more time on the crash than they did. Nonetheless, it felt a lot more genuine than a lot of last season's episodes. I hope they keep it up.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I believe by, as is tradition, a drag race.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    Now we have to Top Trumps this, with what we each drive, to see who would win.

I'll start; 2012 Lexus IS350 AWD

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Just starting the new ep now, but I saw something in the sizzle reel for the "next 11 weeks" that made me squee. Bugatti EB110! Holy shit! AND a Jaguar XJ220! Racing!

I am salivating.

Also Hammond falling over in mud in a forest somewhere will never not be awesome.

Welcome back, boys, I've missed you.

• Options
    2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I believe by, as is tradition, a drag race.

Or we pick the one that, with strategic letters removed, spells out Arse Biscuits or some other marvelously juvenile prank.

• Options
    Larsen's Biscuits, Peniston Oils, Petit Entree, Amerdea du Fromage, etc.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    James with his new terrible hair looks so, so familiar to me but I can't place who he's doppelganging.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    James with his new terrible hair looks so, so familiar to me but I can't place who he's doppelganging.

Richard Dawkins?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Stephen Fry?

• Options
    Decius wrote: »
    Now we have to Top Trumps this, with what we each drive, to see who would win.

I'll start; 2012 Lexus IS350 AWD
    TexiKen wrote: »
    2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

2010 Jaguar XF 3.0TD.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    2018 Kia Forté LX+.

Guys, I...I don't think I'm winning this one.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    You're winning "newest" quite handily so far :)

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport....

I might be able to take Kia or the Jaaaaaaaaag

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    '98 Subaru Forester?

I wish I still had my old car -- '95 oldsmobile. Yeah bench seats.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    You must now customize your vehicles, using only GBP400, to race to Tahiti in the most luxurious manner possible.

chromdom on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    2008 Ranger, you don't know gutless if you haven't driven a Ranger.

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    2008 Ranger, you don't know gutless if you haven't driven a Ranger.

I mean the Smart ForTwo still exists, so you aren't at the bottom of the totem pole yet.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I did have a Yugo 45 once.

And it's not even the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    1998 Toyota Tacoma 4WD

I'm fairly certain this truck could outlive me if it wanted to.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Do airlines seriously allow random weirdos to call up and if they happen to know the name of a passenger change their flight details? Because I assume that's a bit and all preplanned ahead of time

But I never know for sure

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    1998 Toyota Tacoma 4WD

I'm fairly certain this truck could outlive me if it wanted to.

High five Taco buddy!

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Do airlines seriously allow random weirdos to call up and if they happen to know the name of a passenger change their flight details? Because I assume that's a bit and all preplanned ahead of time

Doubt it. Probably wasnt even speaking to a real person at the airlines but it was still funny.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I have a 1984 Subaru GL hatchback that gets 75 horsepower on a good day, and is actively beginning to get eaten by east coast road salt after 30ish years in the Pacific northwest, but it is so fun to hoon around on tiny mountain roads and outstanding for tight city roads

• Options
    They really have just gone full Top Gear, haven't they. No bad thing, generally they're shoring up season one's weak points.

It was odd that Clarkson didn't actually introduce the new driver by name at all, though. Had to wait for the end credits to find out who
    she
    was. Nice to see the Eboladrome still has that use too.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

I just watched, and he did mention it was a flight booked by his company, so it’s possible in that case someone from said company could change the booking.

But it could also just be a goof for the show, you never know with these three.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I just watched, and he did mention it was a flight booked by his company, so it’s possible in that case someone from said company could change the booking.

If you know enough personal information you could probably change someone's flight info but that was definitely scripted. I mean he wasn't even put on hold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

If you know enough personal information you could probably change someone's flight info but that was definitely scripted. I mean he wasn't even put on hold.

And he "just happened" to get the same rep again on his second call.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Also if you look at the seating as they boarded, there didn't appear to be any business class. Just row by row of 2x2 seating.

And it's JetBlue.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Planes that size usually have a "business" class where you just get like an extra 2 inches of leg room, for the first 2-3 rows.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    Planes that size usually have a "business" class where you just get like an extra 2 inches of leg room, for the first 2-3 rows.

I wonder if the galley even stocked beer.

• Options
    I dunno about your guys but the last episode felt a bit too scripted.
    Finish Line Chan though...

• Options
    Due to the holiday I haven't gotten to the newest episode yet but I do want to say that the office park race circuit from Episode 3 was fantastic and I want more of those.

I also enjoy using "pneumonia" as a substitute for saying someone's drunk now.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I really enjoy Grand Tour this season. The few things I didnt like with S1 is gone or replaced for the better. Big smiles all around from me for this show.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I loved the" non scripted" trip segment.

Kinda wish Jeremy made a fire truck though. I imagine it would have been a Hilux with just a massive water tank and a pressure turret that left massive holes everywhere

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.