As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanilla resizing images to make them larger?

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
This image is 537k now, after being uploaded and hosted on the forums here

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/xt/qn2rahw3xf79.jpg

yet on my computer is it 296k
b7c52vclovos.png
i've been infracted for posting images that were "too large" before that were not too large when i uploaded them, and did not display on the forums as too large by the little hosting icon below the post box, but ended up actually being too large (i'm not contesting any infraction, just pointing out that this becomes an issue when images are unintentionally too large because their file size is changed after being posted without notification)

as an example:

this is a screenshot of the upload icon for the image i posted of the file size:
71awet0i5n8n.png
and this is the actual file size now that i've uploaded it to vanilla:
rmqs1at00nce.png

sorry there's a lot of white space in these images, i hope this isn't annoying to read

Allegedly a voice of reason.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    This has happened before. IIRC the problem last time was vanilla's image uploading thingy was re-saving .png images with a negative compression value. I thought they fixed it but I guess it's come back for some reason.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    interesting

at least i'm not crazy :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The same thing just happened to me. I uploaded a 424KB image and the forum turned it into an 894KB image. People shouldn't be getting infracted for this.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    This just happened to me here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37300965/#Comment_37300965

Note the attachment at the bottom of the screenshot: fiona-zippo.jpg, 298K. (Same size as on my desktop.)

blb2bbedib6k.png

But if I click on it, the link goes to https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/4w/7d5vnhyxb6pt.jpg which is 573K.

Here's a direct link to the image on ye old *nix server for comparison: http://feral.chaosnet.org/odd/fiona-zippo.jpg

Note that this is basically the same symptom as reported (and fixed) in March 2016, only that was with PNGs and the current issue is with JPGs: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/203953/attached-image-size-discrepancy

(I attached the above screenshot as a PNG to see if that format is affected as well. Interestingly, it's smaller. On my desktop it is 150.8K. After upload to Vanilla, it's 117K.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Just had the same thing happen to me, .jpg files 5-700kb each showing up as 2.5-3.5mb each once uploaded.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This is only an issue in D&D. Outside of D&D there is no size image size limit as far as I can tell from the rules.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The 1 meg rule is forum wide.

SE++ has some threads that are exceptions AFAIK.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I've seen that quoted from time to time, but as far as I can see it's only listed in the forum rules in D&D and not in the general rules. I was confused about it as well in the past because I've seen a number of threads in non-D&D forums that allow the posting of images >1 MB (and the old limit) and ended up settling on the understanding that the limit only applied to D&D where the rule is posted.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I've seen that quoted from time to time, but as far as I can see it's only listed in the forum rules in D&D and not in the general rules. I was confused about it as well in the past because I've seen a number of threads in non-D&D forums that allow the posting of images >1 MB (and the old limit) and ended up settling on the understanding that the limit only applied to D&D where the rule is posted.

ubaj9bjpfbs7.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Whoops. Thanks for the link. I never see that since I am always signed in.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    It's in the general rules thread too.
    Things that we are not interested in seeing include (but are not limited to)
    • Getting mad about videogames
    • Racial epithets of any kind regardless of context
    • Misogynist, misandrist, homophobic or transphobic behaviour or attitudes. “Pick up artists”, this includes you.
    • Posting gigantic images or gifs. Anything above 1mb should be linked to.

• Options
    Well, even though I checked that several times I still missed it. Thanks for helping me find the information.