As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Three [Movies] Outside Your Local Theater

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    mark my words, 90% of the people kvetching in this thread are going to see it within the first two weeks

curiosity will win out

do you know how easy it is to not do something

I managed to not reply to this for over an hour. That's like half of an avoided RPO

I ate an engineer
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Last movie I saw in the theater was Logan Lucky.

Before that... I don't remember.

Hey!

Logan Lucky is good.

You did good.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just saw a trailer for The Post

What a timely film

Also it looks fantastic, holy shit

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I keep thinking The Post is a movie about the US Postal Service

Then Tom Hanks could possibly be the first actor in the world to play both a FedEx employee and a postal worker

wandering on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I keep thinking The Post is a movie about the US Postal Service

Then Tom Hanks could possibly be the first actor in the world to play both a FedEx employee and a postal worker

Surely there's someone who's been typecast as a mail delivery person in the same way that Person Hapley has been typecast as a news anchor

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    things you will be able to see at the theater instead of Ready Player One:

- Isle of Dogs
    - Pacific Rim: Uprising
    - that Sherlock Holmes Gnome movie
    - Stanley Tucci wrote and directed a movie about a painter in the 60s, that's probably charming
    - Steven Soderbergh made a horror movie on an iPhone
    - Tomb Raider
    - A Wrinkle In Time

The Soderbergh experiment that he shot on camcorder with untrained actors, Bubble, was fucking awful

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping RPO appears on The Flop House, it seems tailor-made for them to joke about.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We don't know yet. RPO could end up being a really fun movie.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Given the fact that I have to fall behind on work or chores and put myself through hell during the week to catch up just to see a movie

the idea that I'd like, accidentally go see something that looks like shit is pretty off base

I don't understand the lifestyle where you have so much time you can just go see movies you don't even want to unless its your job

I can do lots of dumb shit from about 5 pm to midnight almost every night, but I'm single and live alone and have very few obligations outside of work and you know what, this doesn't make me sound very cool, I'm going to stop

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Given the fact that I have to fall behind on work or chores and put myself through hell during the week to catch up just to see a movie

the idea that I'd like, accidentally go see something that looks like shit is pretty off base

I don't understand the lifestyle where you have so much time you can just go see movies you don't even want to unless its your job

I can do lots of dumb shit from about 5 pm to midnight almost every night, but I'm single and live alone and have very few obligations outside of work and you know what, this doesn't make me sound very cool, I'm going to stop

Putting me on blast with this too huh?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I managed to make a habit for a while of going to the movies every week on their cheap nights, and just going and seeing whatever was on unless it was all truly attrocious. Got to see a bunch of films that were completely outside my wheelhouse. It was mostly an excuse to hang out with friends, and kinda dropped off when people stopped being able to come, and it was just me and my partner for a while, and then it was just me.

But when someone else is like: hey show up here for this movie tonight, it's pretty good.

I did get to see some pretty awful movies as well. Which was nice to experience once in a while.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    things you will be able to see at the theater instead of Ready Player One:

- Isle of Dogs
    - Pacific Rim: Uprising
    - that Sherlock Holmes Gnome movie
    - Stanley Tucci wrote and directed a movie about a painter in the 60s, that's probably charming
    - Steven Soderbergh made a horror movie on an iPhone
    - Tomb Raider
    - A Wrinkle In Time

I saw that Sherlock Gnomes trailer in front of Coco. I don't think I've ever hated a trailer for a children's movie more than I've hated that one. By the time it got to the convoluted 'no ship Sherlock' setup and quip, I was about ready to "go get popcorn" and never return.

......and then the Frozen holiday special thing started

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight is a night for an absurdly dumb movie.

Tonight is a night for Bloodsport.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/rotten-apples-sexual-harassment-1201906865/
    Over the last few months, the Weinstein effect has retroactively altered our perception of countless movies and television shows. Everything from “Louie” (all those sexual jokes seem less funny now) to “The Usual Suspects” (which was directed by Bryan Singer and stars Kevin Spacey) feels different now. To stay ahead of this problem, a new website is here to inform you how many questionable figures are involved in a given film or TV show: the cleverly titled Rotten Apples.

The tool, though helpful, is also dispiriting — it’s unsurprisingly difficult to find a “fresh apple,” defined here as a project “with no known affiliation to anyone with allegations of sexual misconduct against them.” A few recent critical favorites pass the test, however: “Call Me by Your Name,” “Lady Bird,” and “The Shape of Water” are all fresh apples; because Miramax and the Weinstein Company released and/or produced so many lauded films over the last few decades, however, they do not.

“The goal of this site is to further drive awareness of just how pervasive sexual misconduct in film and television is,” reads the website’s About section. “By no means is this site meant to serve as a condemnation of an entire project, but to shine a light on the few individuals who should be held accountable for their alleged actions…This database is not perfect, nor are the results meant to be taken as fact.” Visit the website here.
    It is far from perfect current and misses a lot of well known stars. I think the creators have a Sisyphean (or to be more accurate Augean) task ahead of them. But, I wish them luck and determination.

I just watched Terminator 2 again and god that's a damn near perfect action film
    it's also unquestionably my favorite Schwarzenegger performance

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tonight is a night for an absurdly dumb movie.

Tonight is a night for Bloodsport.

Many years ago, when my wife and I were still dating we did a movie night with Bloodsport, American Ninja and a shitload of alcohol. Even the food involved booze, as I made bananas foster after she cooked dinner. We both survived, she had a great time, and if I didn't know she was the one before that night, well...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I saw four movies this year, which is like double what I usually get to see, so I'm living the dream.

I saw one Rogue one after I got it on DVD and watched it
    I took the bus the next week to go see it in the dollar theater so I can say I have seen all the Star Wars in the cinema!

I still feel bad that was the only movie I went to watch
    I missed out on a bunch I really wanted to see Dunkirk which why I will buy it when it comes out
    I missed out on Wonder Woman two women I work with gushed non stop about it which I really found unappealing
    I wanted to see Baby Diver but it was a one week showing at the theater here . The Theater near me is owned by a very Christian company so all those pro Christian movies I make fun of, came and played for weeks there.
    John Wick two came out when I changed jobs at the hell known to men so my whole sleep rhythm got messed up so I missed out on it

GotG2 and Thor I missed out on because I just was feeling like crap all summer

In General I missed out on seeing a lot of movies because I either did not have the time or I just felt like shit

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Deakins is the best DoP in Hollywood and has never won.

He has been nominated 13 times. It's insane.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Olly moss must be stopped

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Am I missing a subtler joke here or are we not commenting on how that's a fake screenshot with a garfield head in it?

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »
    Am I missing a subtler joke here or are we not commenting on how that's a fake screenshot with a garfield head in it?

Sounds like someone has a serious case of the mondays

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    God above I don't want to play a Tolstoy game

... I kind of do, now?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

If you're having a case of the mondays on Wednesday, that's pretty bad.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »

Just need to warm up with your favorite meal. Perhaps a nice lasagna?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Just need to warm up with your favorite meal. Perhaps a nice lasagna?
    It's 9:26am! That's not time for lasagna!
    It's always time for lasagna.

sig.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »

... I kind of do, now?

A 7000 hour long point and click adventure game based on Anna Karenina

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am always in the mood for games that kind of just forget about the main plot to focus on expounding on loosely related subjects.

At the end you can either throw yourself in front of the train or choose to go get ice cream instead

I just watched Terminator 2 again and god that's a damn near perfect action film

FOLLOWING UP ON THIS

I fully understand that it was a franchise that made money so they have to keep trying to make new ones but I think it's pretty cheap that T3 even happened

By the end of T2 they've taken every possible step to prevent Skynet. The technology that it's built on literally does not exist anymore. Far as I'm concerned that entire machine war timeline is dust. And it honestly feels like a betrayal of the characters' journeys that T3 just comes in and goes "nah, you delayed it but there's a bullshit way it's still gonna happen"

Like, let them have the win

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

FOLLOWING UP ON THIS

I fully understand that it was a franchise that made money so they have to keep trying to make new ones but I think it's pretty cheap that T3 even happened

By the end of T2 they've taken every possible step to prevent Skynet. The technology that it's built on literally does not exist anymore. Far as I'm concerned that entire machine war timeline is dust. And it honestly feels like a betrayal of the characters' journeys that T3 just comes in and goes "nah, you delayed it but there's a bullshit way it's still gonna happen"

Like, let them have the win

T2 should have been the end of it. It's pure unchecked ego to think it would be possible to make a better film in that same universe, but hell, T2 made all the money, so of course the studio wanted more.

And we've got T3 and T4 out of it.

So, an excellent, critically acclaimed and popular film to start with, followed up by an actual masterpiece of film-making, with some forgettable dreck and an utter pile of shit to follow.

God work, team!

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Well it sounds like now that Cameron has the rights back, whatever he does next will basically ignore anything that happened post T2.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So, what, Terminator 3 is just an office comedy or something?

I have never seen beyond T2 for that very reason. It’s as good an ending as you could ask for.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I don't even want Cameron to make another one
    You nailed it, dude! Let it go

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    tynic wrote: »

... I kind of do, now?

But tynic, you don't play videogames! Or would you make an exception for Tolstoy

Platy on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I will see ready player one.

I will take that bullet.
    Yeah a lot of the excerpts y’all have linked are flat out nightmarish, but a lot of that is internal monologue bullshit that won’t translate well to film. I still like Spielberg and haven’t seen him just go wild with action/sci-fi in a while so barring awful reviews I’m curious to see how he handles it.

I am in this camp...there is a bunch of problematic stuff in the book but it is also packed with a bunch of fun concepts. I could definitely see Spielberg taking it in a good direction and cutting away the garbage.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Your not wrong but I could see wanting to fix what was done after you left though. Someone else came along and tacked a bunch of crap on after your masterpiece, I get the thought process of wanting to come back and put it right.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Given how Cameron does sequels I'd be curious to see the pitch at least. But man T2's ending is really good.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.