As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Saturday, November 11, 2017 - Words of Discouragement

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Saturday, November 11, 2017 - Words of Discouragement

Words of Discouragement

Words of Discouragement

http://campcomic.com/comic/481

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    The good thing about being forced as a child to do sport, just because you are big and strong, when you would rather be in the library reading Greek Mythology, Sherlock Holmes, HG Wells and Dumas is: you don’t even have to be terribly good at them to take your frustrations out on other people in a societally acceptable way, and everyone leaves you alone in the stacks at lunchtime.
    No idea how introverts required by their parents to become entertainers and performers cope. Must be hell.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Heh
    My parents forced me into all kinds of things I hated and just wasn’t good at and then got mad at me when I quit.

I never really felt bad about myself except when they made me feel bad about what I liked doing instead.

Life is short, full of problems and if it’s not causing harm, let people enjoy what they enjoy. Stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

• mattlohkampmattlohkamp Registered User regular
    I think you accidentally a word in that first word bubble

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Nothing leaves you more helpless than not living up to somebody else's expectations of what you should have been.

• BrobBrob Registered User regular
    This coinciding with Cyanide & Happiness's annual Depressing Comic Week can't be a coincidence...

• ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    I wonder if this comic should be called Wedonknowhowtaraiseya

• ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    I've wondered before "Why would anyone drop Linus, of all kids? Just give him some books and you'll barely know he's there." It didn't occur to me that that was the /problem/.

As a non-parent, I feel like if my kid had NO friends, NO social activities and just sat inside to read all the time, I might encourage him to join a book club or something - just ONE thing, though, in line with his existing interests.

I hope Malachi ends up telling Linus he's great. Out loud, to his face. Mal clearly thinks so and it'd do him good to hear it.

• FellowFellow Registered User regular
    I guess Malachai makes a good friend for Linus cause he's just really impressed with him for being into books.

• supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    This one is a little too real for me.

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Oh, sweet sweet Linus ;__;

• BadgerBBadgerB Registered User new member
    Boy this hits home because it's exactly how my son is. He doesn't put forth any effort into anything we try to get him into. Band, theater, sports, he just doesn't enjoy any of it. He just wants to be home and read or play video games. I'll probably keep him though.

• KoranisKoranis Registered User new member
    I don't know how to quote...

BadgerB: It sounds like your son might be an introvert. Those socially active things don't do it for an introvert. They tire us out, make us feel uncomfortable, and we just need to get out asap. If your son is like this, please read up on introverts, find ways to work within his needs and desires.

• franzelfranzel Registered User new member
    edited November 2017
    @BadgerB, our eight-year-old son would rather stay home and read/play games over basically any other activity. That said, he's been doing piano for 4 years and although he has his bad days, he sticks with it and practices. This is his sixth year in dance and although he scaled back his classes this year, he's still doing hip hop and musical theater. Soccer was kind of a miss this year: I think part of that was that he was just behind everyone else who had been playing for a few years now whereas he was a complete novice. We said he has to do some kind of physical activity so he wants to do more swimming next semester. So that's we'll schedule. He definitely has good days and bad days but he's getting better year over year, mostly as he ages, I think.

franzel on
  • MIJackelMIJackel Registered User regular
    #me

I feel I should print this on a t-shirt, and then wear said t-shirt to Thanksgiving. Perhaps the parental units would get it....

Probably not. The only thing missing from the panels is "You're just not applying yourself"

• Samurai StouSamurai Stou Registered User regular
    Did Linus voluntarily leave for camp?

Another question for which WE NEED AN ANSWER!

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I didn't have this problem. Both my parents took little to no interest in me when I was young, Sure I was put into Girlscouts but the only involement I got from them was just a car ride. The older I got, the less appeal outside had. Outside is where some of my worst experiences happen.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Koranis wrote: »
    I don't know how to quote...

BadgerB: It sounds like your son might be an introvert. Those socially active things don't do it for an introvert. They tire us out, make us feel uncomfortable, and we just need to get out asap. If your son is like this, please read up on introverts, find ways to work within his needs and desires.

Yeah this. And Introvert is not 'shy', but when we get our energy or drive from. Introverts get it internally, Extroverts get it externally; from others.

This might be good for your son to take: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

MEDIATOR (INFP-T)

MIND
    This trait determines how we interact with our environment.
    11% EXTROVERTED 89% INTROVERTED

ENERGY
    This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
    84% INTUITIVE 16% OBSERVANT

NATURE
    This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
    21% THINKING 79% FEELING

TACTICS
    This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
    47% JUDGING 53% PROSPECTING

IDENTITY
    This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
    24% ASSERTIVE 76% TURBULENT
    Mediator personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, Mediators have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the Mediator personality type – but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

Being a part of the Diplomat Role group, Mediators are guided by their principles, rather than by logic (Analysts), excitement (Explorers), or practicality (Sentinels). When deciding how to move forward, they will look to honor, beauty, morality and virtue – Mediators are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments. People who share the Mediator personality type are proud of this quality, and rightly so, but not everyone understands the drive behind these feelings, and it can lead to isolation.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J. R. R. Tolkien
    We Know What We Are, but Know Not What We May Be

At their best, these qualities enable Mediators to communicate deeply with others, easily speaking in metaphors and parables, and understanding and creating symbols to share their ideas. Fantasy worlds in particular fascinate Mediators, more than any other personality type. The strength of their visionary communication style lends itself well to creative works, and it comes as no surprise that many famous Mediators are poets, writers and actors. Understanding themselves and their place in the world is important to Mediators, and they explore these ideas by projecting themselves into their work.

Mediators’ ability with language doesn’t stop with their native tongue, either – as with most people who share the Diplomat personality types, they are considered gifted when it comes to learning a second (or third!) language. Their gift for communication also lends itself well to Mediators’ desire for harmony, a recurring theme with Diplomats, and helps them to move forward as they find their calling.

Listen to Many People, but Talk to Few

Unlike their Extraverted cousins though, Mediators will focus their attention on just a few people, a single worthy cause – spread too thinly, they’ll run out of energy, and even become dejected and overwhelmed by all the bad in the world that they can’t fix. This is a sad sight for Mediators’ friends, who will come to depend on their rosy outlook.

If they are not careful, Mediators can lose themselves in their quest for good and neglect the day-to-day upkeep that life demands. Mediators often drift into deep thought, enjoying contemplating the hypothetical and the philosophical more than any other personality type. Left unchecked, Mediators may start to lose touch, withdrawing into “hermit mode”, and it can take a great deal of energy from their friends or partner to bring them back to the real world.

Luckily, like the flowers in spring, Mediator’s affection, creativity, altruism and idealism will always come back, rewarding them and those they love perhaps not with logic and utility, but with a world view that inspires compassion, kindness and beauty wherever they go.

• te-kunte-kun Registered User regular
    Those two must be near civilization cause they are hitting close home

• RuntCakeRuntCake Swampsville, USARegistered User regular
    Starting my morning heartbroken for Linus. *bawlin' emoji*

The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed after him.
  • tabletable Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    As a kid, I more or less just did what I was told to do. As a slightly taller kid, I just feel inadequate. unu
    But @ all of you who are trying or trying to try, proud of ya

table on
    @Te-Kun, I am sure they are going to hit a wall shortly before Mal is interrupted in his own break through.

• Bluestorm83Bluestorm83 Registered User regular
    THANK you. Everything they ever did to "Encourage" me was just pushing me towards shit that I didn't want/wasn't ready for. I'd be less of a damn mess NOW if I'd just been able to grow up at the pace I was supposed to.

There is no rope in this comic!

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    MIJackel wrote: »

Yeah, they don't start using it till a couple comics later.

AdamRW wrote: »
    MIJackel wrote: »

Yeah, they don't start using it till a couple comics later.

They don't start using it until http://campcomic.com/comic/483 when they reach the end of the farthest Linus has ever gone, the rope is to lead them back to the Known Deep Woods from the Unknown Deep Woods.