As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Aspirational Truths

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Aspirational Truths

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• GeorgeVGeorgeV Registered User regular
    But what about the big reveal that Luke has actually been Darth Vader all along? That one's still true, right?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Yeah there I was happy with a Saturday ticket to see the film then I realized this might be my personal ‘no I am your father’ moment so now I have a ticket to a premiere showing too and it’s kinda nice I still care about such honestly banal shit for various personal reasons unrelated to the comic.

Also my guess is that Palpatine was working for the Jedi all along and was actually great friends with Yoda is the twist. Or maybe Luke was a force ghost all along

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Also Tyler Durden and Jack had scenes together in fight club just saying

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Yeah, because they're different characters. Not sure how that's related.

MichaelLC wrote: »

Nah Tyler Durden is literally one dude with a split personality and so it could be with Finnbaca

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Finn is actually a ghost. Did you ever see anyone directly address him? That's why.

The First Order was made up by the elders of the Rebel village to keep the Rebels from leaving space.

Kylo Ren's secret weakness is water.

And Rey's name is pronounced "Ree" because that's how it's pronounced in China.

• bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    Anyone else going dark starting tomorrow night? Come on Tycho, it's only 2 more days!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Nah Tyler Durden is literally one dude with a split personality and so it could be with Finnbaca

Well I can cross that movie of my list, thanks.

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    GoingDark tomorrow night? I went dark last week and am generally not reading anything Star Wars related before Tuesday when I am going to see it :)

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    KagatoAC wrote: »
    GoingDark tomorrow night? I went dark last week and am generally not reading anything Star Wars related before Tuesday when I am going to see it :)

Shame this PA comic turned out to be Star Wars related and full of spoilers. That's a tough break.

H9f4bVe.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I feel bad for the mods here. Trolls will be coming hard to spoil shit, so they'll get spoiled just by cleaning up the garbage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

They were different characters, but still the same PERSON.

• ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I feel bad for the mods here. Trolls will be coming hard to spoil shit, so they'll get spoiled just by cleaning up the garbage.
    Some people don't really care about Star Wars though, so it wouldn't matter. Not every person thinks Star Wars is that interesting.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I saw the last Star Wars one week after opening and got spoiled by trolls purposefully just putting spoilers everywhere possible to be assholes.

I have to see this one a week late as well.

Will I survive spoiler free? Only time will tell.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    SPOILERS there will be lasers and something blows up.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I saw the last Star Wars one week after opening and got spoiled by trolls purposefully just putting spoilers everywhere possible to be assholes.

I was playing World Of Warcraft when the 6th Harry Potter book came out. Some dude was just yelling out spoilers in Orgrimmar. Going to check my bank, and oh I guess he died.

• JackJack Registered User regular
    I won't see it until the 24th, so I have to survive 10 days without somehow being spoilt. And this is an annual tradition, so I have to do it every year for as long as they keep making Star Wars films/I'm still alive.

Still, I mostly pulled it off the last two years.

I always hate the inevitable "look this study even says spoilers aren't bad" aholes fall back on after they've spoiled you on something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2017
    Yep, the only way to beat spoilers is with a lot of false spoilers. Turn it up to 11. Make them plausible, though.

dennis on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Spoiler: the last Jedi is Luke. Rey and Finn are the first two members of a new group altogether, with a name I will reveal at a later date.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I always hate the inevitable "look this study even says spoilers aren't bad" aholes fall back on after they've spoiled you on something.
    I mean, a study did demonstrate that.

cB557 wrote: »

Yes and telling someone "Actually you'll enjoy this more according to a study" is sure to make them feel better you can't just like not tell them spoilers about something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I was playing World Of Warcraft when the 6th Harry Potter book came out. Some dude was just yelling out spoilers in Orgrimmar. Going to check my bank, and oh I guess he died.

Thanks for the Harry Potter spoilers. I was waiting until the time was right to read/watch those. Won't bother now.... (Just kidding) ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Yes and telling someone "Actually you'll enjoy this more according to a study" is sure to make them feel better you can't just like not tell them spoilers about something.
    They could, but then they wouldn't have done the good of provably improving someone's enjoyment of a work.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    One study doesn't mean shit

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "No you actually like this thing I'm doing. I have a study."

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

But they talked about it on the news! And on the internet!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

Also, one study doesn't mean 100% of the people. A study shows that people like chocolate, but that doesn't mean that I like chocolate.

I mean, I do like chocolate, but that's beside the point.

Now I want some chocolate.

I cannot conceive of how even a single person's enjoyment of a movie could be improved by spoilers. The only possible exception would be a very small group of stories whose premise might hinge on an ending it assumes you know--like the impending dread of knowing the plan in Valkyrie is going to fail, or allusions to Christ's death during a Jesus film. But that's not really a spoiler if the story is built with you knowing the ending in mind.

I am, of course, aware that some people (like Tycho mentioned) intentionally seek out spoilers, and more power to them. I myself intentionally seek out trailers online despite knowing it will decrease my excitement at seeing that trailer in an actual theater, and knowing that most (if not all) trailers decrease my eventual enjoyment of a movie to some degree. But that's more something I realize is a self-inflicted wound.

I have no idea to what lengths a "study" would have to go to find that anyone's, much less everyone's, enjoyment of a movie is improved by spoilers.

So no to the live blogging of episode viii tomorrow? Jeez alright

• wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    "No you actually like this thing I'm doing. I have a study."

This, combined with your avatar, made me laugh. Totally something Deadpool would say while beating the shit out of someone.

I had The Sixth Sense spoiled for me by some random asshole at work. I actually thought he was messing with me, and later that week when I saw the movie about halfway through I was like "aww, shit, he really is dead".

Spoiler: The Titanic sinks.

I'm immune to Last Jedi spoilers, mostly because I don't really care any more. I kinda hope they don't try to go the "Luke, I am your father" route. Or whatever super twist ending crap just because it's expected. Like, maybe don't do that? That could be the twist? Nobody would see it coming, IMO.

wallywest on
    edited December 2017
    While there was a 2011 study that concluded that spoilers always make stories better. A more recent study found the opposite. They found that spoilers made stories less moving, less thought provoking, and less immersive across the board.

And of course, none of those studies involve spoiling huge pop culture events. And they don't seem to account for the negative experience of the spoiling as an event in itself. What I mean is, even if (and I'm not convinced) spoilers make films better, that experience of somebody spoiling it for you is still unpleasant. People dropping spoilers are still just jerks, not zeitgeist epidemiologists vaccinating people with the goal of better story experiences.

YoungFrey on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Luke is a space-alien from a space-planet.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

That doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone though.

So using a study showing that plenty of people aren't bothered by something to tell a specific person that it is fine is incredibly fucking stupid.

I mean I don't even like replaying video games because knowing what happens makes it so boring I can't make it through... so I can guarantee spoilers lessen my experience by a significant amount.

That doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone though.

So using a study showing that plenty of people aren't bothered by something to tell a specific person that it is fine is incredibly fucking stupid.

I mean I don't even like replaying video games because knowing what happens makes it so boring I can't make it through... so I can guarantee spoilers lessen my experience by a significant amount.
    And most psychology research has a common selection bias problem. So common it has the acronym WIERD: (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic). Namely, even if it is true (and many psychology experiments have other problems (like small sample size)), it might only be true for the subset of people who go to University (and then choose to participate in Psych experiments).

• ApeAccountApeAccount Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Some spoilers can enhance your enjoyment. Using the Sixth Sense as an example (since it was mentioned below), scenes which seem rather pointless on the first run through and frankly poorly directed given the lack of awareness some actors show of the others, suddenly take on a different meaning once you know the ending. If spoilers allow you to enjoy foreshadowing in a story better that's good. Of course, for many stories that's what second viewings are for since you can watch it two ways; all spoilers do is rob you of the chance to watch it the first way first.

Yes, spoilers can help your enjoyment sometimes. However, it is only a subset of stories and of spoilers for which this applies. Some spoilers represent an amazing moment. Knowing them adds nothing and destroys the sheer coolness of experiencing that moment unprepared.

Just doing a search on one of these reveals the following from an article:

"Christensen repeated the experiment with three different genres: mystery stories containing a “whodunit” moment; ironic twist stories, where a surprise ending crystallizes the whole story; and literary fiction with a neat resolution."

Firstly, they were all ending spoilers. Spoilers aren't restricted to ending spoilers. These are also spoilers which change the context of the work. Most spoilers don't. A different context can make a work more enjoyable. Knowing a 20 foot tall member of Yoda's species will show up just before the credits roll doesn't change the context of the story. All it does is ruin the fun of the surprise.

ApeAccount on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

It means plenty. Statistics are meaningless to the individual, however. 95% of appendectomy patients go home with no serious complications. That number is not comfort to the families of the other 5%. And the margins here were a lot wider than 95:5. I think the study suggested something like 65% of people ended up enjoying movies more knowing key plot points, that doesn't make it acceptable to diminish the enjoyment of the other 35%.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    No, it means nothing. The appendectomy statistic is not based on a single study. Science needs a lot of data to draw any conclusions, a single study is useless for any purpose other than making scientists curious to see if they can replicate the result.

That type of study in particular seems like it would be subject to a huge amount of variance and confirmation bias. A given person cannot watch the same movie for the first time twice. So how do they tell if they enjoyed it more or less than an experience they never had? Do they quantify their enjoyment and compare that to another movie they watched or to another person who watched the same movie? Do they assign some number to their appreciation of the movie?

If you just ask someone "was that better than if you had watched it without being spoiled?" There's no way to trust the answer they give. Sort of like how focus groups all stated that most Americans prefer a "rich dark roast" of coffee despite sales figures to the contrary. Because the way you answer a question posed in a study is not necessarily what you really believe, even if you think it is.

ApeAccount wrote: »
    Some spoilers can enhance your enjoyment. Using the Sixth Sense as an example (since it was mentioned below), scenes which seem rather pointless on the first run through and frankly poorly directed given the lack of awareness some actors show of the others, suddenly take on a different meaning once you know the ending. If spoilers allow you to enjoy foreshadowing in a story better that's good. Of course, for many stories that's what second viewings are for since you can watch it two ways; all spoilers do is rob you of the chance to watch it the first way first.

That's a very big "all". It's saying that original chance is valueless. We know that not to be true. To bring it back to Star Wars, it's like not having the chance to watch Empire without already knowing the big reveal.